Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Mikem59 »

Trying again i think i see what happened. This is of the strong back. Modeled somewhat after Cracker Larry's. if this pic post works. I'll begin posting more.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... fullsize=1

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

before you hit "submit", hit preview. If you did it right the photo should show, if not you get to try it again. Right click on the photo you want (at full size), select "copy image url", then past that into your message, highlight what you just pasted in and push the Img button up top. That should do it.
Hank

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks. My biggest problem is trying to do from my iPhone. I don't think it can be done. Thanks again

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

On comment on your strongback, and I think Larry will back me up on this, make it shorter. Easy to do now that you don't have a boat on it. 12" is all you need. I started at 18", that was too high so I cut 6" off.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

I had read about the height and making it too high. I just couldn't convince myself to go lower. I was laying out the molds this evening in preparation for setting up them up on the strongback.

One thing's for sure, I bet I've stared at the plans, read and reread the materials, and stared at the materials for a 1000 hours and done actual work for 1 hour. With all that, plus the few years of lurking I still have lots to learn and lots of questions

Now, here are my next questions, does the transom basically "hang" off the end of the strongback? The reason I say that is that the baseline for the transom is taller than the molds.

And, if that is the case, does the origin need to be offset, say several inches to allow for this? I've gone through a number of pics of some other builds and that appears to be the case. With that said, I think I will offset by 6", meaning my measurements to the face of each mold will be the measurement on the drawing minus 6", for instance, mold "E" on the drawing is spec'ed for 36", now I'll set it at 30".

Hope I don't wear you all out with these questions! I know one thing, I look forward to this build, on one hand, I'm sort of frustrated by the slow progress, but I am enjoying and learning alot.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Your origen can still be at the end of your strongback, the transom angle will let it clear. Hope that helps, and hope I understood your question.

I remember the excitement when I first started, now I am about to wrap it up and I am really stoked! Feel free to ask all the questions you have, I will try to help in any way I can and lots of other guys are extremely helpful. Good luck on your build. Take your time now and get it right, it will save you tons of headaches and backaches late on.
Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Yes, you understood my question, and yes, that makes sense. I was toying around with that on the strongback this evening, and wasn't sure if it would clear. That's good since I had already struck my lines on the strongback for the mold locations, not that it would have been difficult to change.

More pictures coming, trying to synch my iphone photos to my pc via the "Cloud" to simplify the process of uploading and posting. Right now, that ain't work'in so good. Maybe I need to go out onto a "Cloud" forum to figure that one out. :lol:

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

For those of you who haven't seen a CNC kit, here are some pics as I unloaded. Some minor damage occurred during the shipment, but nothing that can't be overcome. The CNC kit came with a bow mold, it had broken (can see in the last photo) but was easily scabbed back together.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I've never seen a CNC kit before, pretty cool stuff. That bow mold they sent you is going to really help you with the round chine. I really wish I had cut one for my build. This boat isn't immune to the Droopy Bow but it isnt as bad as some.
Mike

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Mikem59 wrote:The lease is just north of Lometa, Tx, which in turn is north of Lampasas. I've been out to the lease 3 times, beautiful out there. Although my passion is fishing, I can see right now, I'm going to enjoy this deer lease.
As a kid we hunted at my great uncle's ranch out of Lometa. The Hood Ranch. And that is beautiful country.
I pass by Nederland all the time. :wink:

Don