Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Mikem59 »

Don, we're on a lease called the Bear Creek Ranch. Looking forward to squeezing in time to go out there. The good news, lots of dove, hogs, turkey, and deer. My hunting buddies are pretty fired up as the lease they were last on did not have dove nor much in the way of hogs or turkey.

Now onto an update. Achieved a milestone this evening, got one set of stringers glued together. And, as expected the things that went well were due to all the tips and tricks posted by others. In particular, using 3/8" dowels to keep everything aligned. Without those I would have fought keeping things aligned while trying to clamp everything together. I bought some clamps at Lowes, based on tonight's experience, I need more!

As for a key learning and something I'll probably struggle with for awhile is batch size. I wetted out each of the pieces first using a total batch volume of 150 ml. That was pretty darn close to what was needed. As for the epoxy glue batch I should have stuck with the same volume. Instead I went with 300 ml. I thought the wood flour would require more volume. After completing, I probably had 75 ml leftover and didn't have anything else prepped to glue.

And the cure times I found in the help somewhere are probably pretty good. It called for a cure time of 49 min at 85 deg for the slow hardner. This small batch kicked in about 35 min. So that's probably about right. With that cure time, and working by myself, I would not have had enough time to glue anything else anyway.

I'll post some pics shortly.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Here's that bow mold from the CNC kit. As you can see, I had to scab it together as it had broken during shipment.

Clamps, and now I know, not really enough of'em:

Wetted out stringer sections:

Aligned, glued, and clamped together, as you can see, I celebrated my accomplishment:

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

When you mix up batches of epoxy, epoxy glue, or fairing compound you can stretch your working time a bit by getting it out of your mixing pot and spreading it out on something like a piece of cardboard covered in packing tape. It slows down the cure by not allowing the heat to build up. When are you planning to start stitching her together?

Lookin' great so far!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

I recall seeing that tip to use cardboard or a paint pan. And I'll give that a try when I decide to tackle more pieces with one batch or in one session. I'm glad I just did the one piece. As for a date for starting the stitching I'm thinking I can get to that stage by late this month. Have a couple of trips to take that are going to slow me down a little

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

you can never have enough clamps...

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Ha, I've seen that pic and you are right. :lol:

I've seen a few of the guys use PVC as clamps for the rub rail, unless someone feels that's more trouble than its worth I'm going that route. Regardless, I still need more clamps.

The first set of stringers went good. They are no doubt glued together. Got some cleanup on the top and bottom edges for all the epoxy glue that squeezed out.

Second set just completed gluing.

Now off to Pennsylvania to visit family for the Fathers Day weekend. I'll have some completed stringers waiting for me when I return next week.

And Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. Hope you all get out in your boats and get on some fish!

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Stringers glued, cured, and I've begun cleaning them up. And I had purchased a Stanley sure form plane and can see why it was recommended. Thanks to Cracker Larry as I believe it was on his build thread I picked that tip up.

As for tonight, siphoning gas out of my current boat. I guess after nearly four years the tank managed to accumulate some water and ruined my last attempt to head out fishing. Fuel rail and injectors cleared and cleaned. Big thanks goes out to the boat Ramp in Port Neches for the quick turnaround.

Why I didn't have a fuel water filter separator on this boat I don't know, but its installed now as well.

Hope to get in some boat work over the weekend. I'm ready to glue the transom as I've got those pieces cleaned up and have installed some 3/8" alignment holes. Pressing forward !

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

PVC clamps- I used them on my boat and they work good. I used 3" pipe and cut them 1 1/2" wide. I used a 10" miter saw to cut them. Be careful and go slow, that pvc can get ugly quick!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Not a whole lot of progress on my build of late. I've only managed to do some cleanup of the glued stringers and the transom. That leads me to a question regarding my transom.

I plan on mounting an Atlas Micro Jack Plate along with a 20 hp Suzuki 4 stroke. I'd like to put on the short, 15" shaft model. I don't have the exact measurements, but assuming it is 15" shaft, do I cut down the transom to match? Or, just stay with the plans and match up with a 20"?

And, I've noticed on some builds that the transom is thickened/reinforced. Is that necessary given my jack plate and motor plans?

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

Mikem59 wrote: I've noticed on some builds that the transom is thickened/reinforced. Is that necessary given my jack plate and motor plans?
The plan calls for the transom to be three layers laminated together. I think as long as you follow the plans you will be fine. Im not and expert and am on my very first build myself. But I'm sure the more experienced builders will agree to follow the plans and you cant go wrong.
John