Cannonball's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Cannonball's FS18

Post by Cannonball »

Thanks John. I got the plywood from Houston hardwoods. It was a bit cheaper, but you do have to burn up half a day running to houston and back. Actually just wrapped up cutting out all the parts. Getting this thing on the jig with the hull stitched up is pretty much consuming my life right now. I've got to get some epoxy and glass ordered up tomorrow so I can get the bottom, sides and stringers going. Hoping to have that and the frames standing up on the jig next weekend. Got to get it done before my garage turns into a furnace. Anybody from Texas knows what I'm talking about.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

All the pieces are cut up except the sole, rub rail strips and rod holder frames. Amazing how quick you can get all the pieces cut out when you stick to the plan! After attempting my own design in CAD and models, I have no desire to deviate from the plans at all. It's a proven design, and I like to think less and do more. I may try it without the sole for a while and see how it works. I figure I'll be standing on the rear platform 90% of the time anyway, dunno yet.

reiko1078
New Poster
New Poster

Post by reiko1078 »

looking forward to following this build! why no sole??????

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

I'll probably end up with it. This is my first build, and I was a little iffy about using 1/4" for the sole. Just seems pretty thin so I left off buying that piece until I can test it out with a piece of scrap. Plus I plan on using a jet and seems like 4 gals of foam + sole + glass would be quite a bit of weight that is really not necessary, but would be nice. No harm in trying it out without it, and then installing later.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I used 3/8 Okume for the sole in the FS18 I built. It's solid as a rock and not very heavy. A solid sole makes walking around the boat a LOT more comfortable, no stringers and frames to trip over, plus it stiffens the boat a lot and keeps the deck dry. I would plan on it, myself.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I used 3/8" on my sole, filled all the space underneath with foam and it it rock solid. I probably could have saved some weight and used 1/4". And Larry is right about the sole stiffening up the hull, no twisting or flexing after it is glued and taped in. Foam and 1/4" ply would be my recommendation. Or maybe honeycomb panel and no foam. But the foam sure makes it quiet, important in shallow water fishing.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

CObob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CObob »

All the builds i see they foam, then glue down the sole. Why not glue it down, pour in foam to bind everything together, then cap with a solid sheet of glass? I had good results doing this on a false-floor i put in a gheenoe. This would provide a little support to the 1/4" without any voids, glues it all together, and you avoid shaving the foam down and opening the cells. You of course need to pour conservatively, allow plenty of escape routs, and weight the heck out of the sole while it cures.

Saw your Craigslist add Cannonball, i'm up in Austin and will ask to come down some time and see the build.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

All of y'all have some good ideas, now I just need to decide which one to go with. I would prefer to make it work with the 1/4 since I would only have to buy one more less expensive piece. Even if I need to do a bit extra glassine to stiffen it up. I like the thought of putting the sole on and pouring the foam underneath, but if the floor did any kind of heave ho while the foam was curing I'd have a whole bunch of messy rework to contend with.

Your welcome to check it out anytime CObob. Youre Johnny on the spot on the Craigslist, just posted that yesterday. Hopefully something comes of it.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I like the thought of putting the sole on and pouring the foam underneath, but if the floor did any kind of heave ho while the foam was curing I'd have a whole bunch of messy rework to contend with.
Very bad idea :!: Don't do it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Cracker Larry wrote:
I like the thought of putting the sole on and pouring the foam underneath, but if the floor diis d any kind of heave ho while the foam was curing I'd have a whole bunch of messy rework to contend with.
Very bad idea :!: Don't do it.
+1!!!

This foam is powerfull stuff! It will buckle and deform your floor at the least and break the floor or deform the hull at worst. If you foam it, put in the 1/4" sole and then cover that with 6 or 10 oz glass and it should be solid solid.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19