Cannonball's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Cannonball's FS18

Post by Cannonball »

It's the 20 jet from the factory. I actually found the add after I posted my wtb add, it made for good juju anyway.

CObob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CObob »

Awesome find, I have a basic repair manual that should cover it if you ever decide to work on it

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

vgant wrote:Same as Cracker Larry. Ripped 1x1 (3/4 x 3/4) from clear 1x6's. It takes a bunch, I'm going to need to make some more soon.
+1
good clear 1×6's or 1×4's. Get the good stuff, the cheap stuff will warp and break and has lots of knots. No fun to deal with.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Boat Builder Supply is where it's at. Ordered my fs18 glass kit on Tuesday and it showed up Friday. Thought I was going to miss a weekend of production without the epoxy, but it got here just in time...

Framing is 90% complete...

This is a true testament to the design. I did no pre-planning, just followed the plan, cut everything up and stood it up on the center line. After getting pretty efficient with hullform trying to attempt my own design and finally giving up over frustration, I really appreciate this and it has taken loads of the pressure off. I'm having a blast. Perfect...

Up next bottom and sides. Stay tuned...

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

If you can cut and install a bow mold now. I wish I had done one on mine. It will eliminate a droopy bow and make forming thekeel at the bow much easier. Your build looks great so far!
Mike

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Thanks mike. It's coming along real nice, if the epoxy hadn't shown up for me to take advantage of a free weekend it would have set me back at least two weeks. Got an engagement party on the island in your neck of the woods this weekend. Dont think ill be able to come by this time though, its going to be in and out. How would you come up with the dimensions for a bow mold? I was thinking just block up the bow, fit it with a stitch and move on, but I agree if it comes in the cnc kit you would think it important for us to include as well.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

My best guess for making a bow mold would just be trial and error. Not sure how to do it any other way. Maybe you could sweet talk Jacques into giving you some measurements to get you started? Or even better, a drawing!

If you do get a chance to stop by, please do. Just shoot me an email and I can get you my contact info.
Mike

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Bottom panels sanded and glassed...

Front quartering view...

I think I'm going to redo my transom. I cut it to plan the week before I bought the motor and I need an additional inch on it to get the jet set right. It's either spend 90 bucks now on a sheet of ply and it be light and dead on balls, or spend 90 bucks messing around with aluminum plates trying to half way shim it later. I don't like to do things half way, so off to the lumberyard. Ohh well, needed to make another trip anyway for the sole and rub rail strips.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Better to do right in the beginning than try to rig it later and hope it works out, good job! Where are you getting your plywood?
Mike

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

I've been running to Houston to get the ply from Houston Hardwoods. It's killer, burning upa half a day when I could be building to do it, but it's cheaper that having it shipped.