Cannonball's FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Randy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cannonball's FS18

Post by Randy »

Might be cheaper to go to Austin:
http://www.finelumber.com/

Randy

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Yep. I called them before I got my first load of wood and they didn't have any 1088. Their catalog also doesnt show any 3/8 1088 okoume. I'm convinced that the good stuff is the way to go especially after working with it.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Despite a hangaround from Port A, managed to get a little accomplished on Sunday. Bottom panels cleaned and stiched...

Starting to look like something...

Will join the side panels this week, and hoping to have some glass done by Memorial Day. Got a 3 day boat building extravaganza going at my house this weekend...

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

This is a fun part of the build. It looks clean and nice to me. I got two sheets of 1/4" okoume from Fine Lumber last year, which sure was handy. I've made that Houston run for ply and it is a pita. Good luck this coming weekend, it's a good one for staying home and building instead of fighting the crowds :wink:

Buildin' in Blanco Dougster

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Thanks Doug. I'm telling ya it is a pita. I've got my borther headed there this week for me. He's on a college break so no big deal for him. All it takes is offering up some Granzins dried sausage and a bottle of brown liquor and he's ready to roll.

Checked out your build, and it's looking great. That looks like a sweet trolling rig.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

Got a question. Where should the transom sit. I've seen people do it different ways. My first thought was to mount it where the bottom edge was flush with the stringer height. Is this correct? I'm about to redo the transom before stiching and gluing to accomadate the jet height, but want to also ensure how these planes should meet up.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

You have the transom in the right position. Your build is looking great, you should get a lot done this weekend.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

I did mine like you have in the last picture and filled in the gap. my next one, I'll cut the bottom of the transom at an angle.

Cannonball
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cannonball »

It's officially a boat...

The bow took a touch of planing to get the panels to meet up..

Transom redux...

Coming together...

My one problem area stiching up the panels. Got a 1/2" gap that I ended up just filling. I was focused on closing this gap up so much that I created a little 1/8" dip at the location of the stich from the stringer out to the chine. Hopefully nothing a liitle fairing won't cure...

Rainy day tabbing session...

Cleaning it up Cracker Larry style...

She sees daylight...

One of my favorite pics so far...

Nice little Memorial Day Weekend power session. Was hoping to have the glass tape done, but gave it up to bbq after that sanding yesterday.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Try to do your taping and wide cloth all in one session, wet on wet. It will save you a lot of work and make for a stronger boat. You can get it all done in about 6 hours if you can coax a friend into helping you. Looks good! Keep it up!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19