Wade's GV10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Wade's GV10

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'd glass it all, Wade. You are going to use it hard in the south FL sunshine. I doubt it would add 10 pounds.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

I doubt it would add 5 pounds, I would glass it just to be sure no problems develope later. The boat looks great, you are really cruising on this one!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Spcmnspff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Spcmnspff »

I have a noob question for you, Wade, since we are building the same boat. Did you fillet anything on the outside? I know the plans say to fillet only where there are gaps. I took this to mean there would be at least a light filleting on the outside seams.

The boat is looking great. Sure pays to have experience! haha. I am fortunate to have you pave my way. =)
Sean

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Cracker Larry wrote:I'd glass it all, Wade.
AtTheBrink wrote:I would glass it just to be sure no problems develope later
Alright, I think I was just looking for some affirmation that glassing all of a boat this size isn't stupid. I want to glass it all and would probably be afraid of water intrusion otherwise. 6 oz cloth here we go!
Spcmnspff wrote:I have a noob question for you, Wade, since we are building the same boat. Did you fillet anything on the outside? I know the plans say to fillet only where there are gaps. I took this to mean there would be at least a light filleting on the outside seams.
Yes, basically you don't want any fiberglass bridging over air. ANY gap needs to have fillet material filling it. And actually most of the seams should have some little gap - gaps are good, just fill them before taping.
The way I did it, I tack-welded the seams together, removed the zip-ties, and ground down the entire length of the outside of the seams to a radius that the glass will accept. For the 6oz cloth tape, a radius like a pencil is minimum, the radius of your fingers a good max. From the inside I then duct-taped the seams, making sure to press the tape in tight to minimize the inside radius at this point. Then from the outside it's easy to squeeze a fillet into the seams (using a pastry bag), with the duct-tape preventing it from dripping through. All you are trying to do here is get enough fillet to give you generally a rounded edge/radius for the tape. Then lay down the tape.

PS - don't forget to wet-out both the seam before the fillet, and the wood edges before the tape. You don't want to dry wood pulling epoxy out of your fillet material, or away from your glass.
Hope this is helpful, I seemed to ramble on.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Yesterday I had 3-4 hours to use, so I got to work doing the initial sanding of the hull fairing compound. This part of the job is tedious. However, as compared to the last boat, this time around I'm using a long drywall blade instead of a squeege, and I now understand that fairing's purpose is just that - to get the boat fair. So, don't bother to build any fairing compound over the highs - you're just going to sand if off anyhow, dummy! Also, I went moderatly aggressive at teh edges of the tape seams where the stitching had it standing up proud. so, I've applied 1 coat of fairing to the bottom, sanded it, and applied a 2nd coat to the bottom (only where it needed it) and a 1st coat to the sides:
I'm hoping that the sides will only need 1 coat, but that's probably wishful thinking. I'm not looking for show-finish, btu we'll see.
I also had big ideas to break out the longboard and go to town. however, I'm probably just going to use the RO sander and call it good. I've found that works 90% as fair as the longboard, and 10x faster, as long as it's generally fair underneath.
wade

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I got to sanding the fairing compound today. Again, I'd put 2 coats of fairing on the bottom, and 1 coat on the sides. I used the RO sander on it with 40 grit paper. After about 1.5-2 hours of sanding and using Cracker Larry's trick of wetting it down to get a feel for the smoothness, here's what I got:
Last edited by wadestep on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

There are still minor bulges around the forward tape seams on the hull, but You have to look for them. For my goals and what this boat will be used for, I think I'll call it good. I'm still mulling over the issue, we'll see if I can sleep with the decision. I'm kinda torn between keeping it a 'quick and dirty' build of a boat just to bang around, and my OCD that all boats should be beautiful. we'll see. It's 91 degrees today, and my upcoming week is full at work, so the quick and dirty idea might pull through.
wade

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

so the quick and dirty idea might pull through.
Nah, it aint either. It's a tiny boat, only take a day or 2 more to make it sweet :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

BTW- that 2nd to last picture where you can see the entire boat from the side looks like the hull as a hook in it. I just went out and checked with a straight-edge and it's a camera illusion. I was rather worried there for a minute.
wade

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Great work Wade 8) You're flying on this build

I saw that "hook" and was about to mention it before I read your last post. You certainly don't want a hook...ask me how I know. I won't make that mistake again.

I'm thinking that after seeing the finish on the OB19, and you having an engineer wife; the quick and dirty will turn into a piece of art pretty quickly :wink:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one