Garvey 13 choosing transom navigation lighting

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
mango2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Garvey 13 choosing transom navigation lighting

Post by mango2 »

Which is preferable for small boat......mounting red/green lights for port and stern horizontally on transom elbows or vertically on face of transom just beyond & below elbows? Is either way legal/illegal???

....will need an all-round stern light probably mounted on A/B frame seat on center, as well...

Then, wire the 3 lights in PARALLEL to (one circuit) of console toggle switch?

thanks for replies.....

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Garvey 13 choosing transom navigation lighting

Post by AMC »

The bow lights (sometimes called running lights) are generally run off one switch, and the stern (sometimes called anchor light) is run of a separate switch.

mango2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mango2 »

Through internet research it appears that all the Garvey 13 boat will need is a combination (red/green) bow light visible for 1 mile mounted vertically and a stern (all-around) light 3.3 feet above the bow light.......no need for sidelights (red & green)...

Question: For the Garvey 13 could I mount on the flat surface of the bow seat, a few inches aft of the bow cleats?
Last edited by mango2 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is what you need, the one on the right.
Plus an anchor light (all around white) if you go on anchor at night.

Theoretically, they could all be on the same little removable mast but wherever you put that mast, one of the lights will blind you.
I would put the green and light on the hull. It's low, difficult to see but legal and easy. The motor light ( white forward), if you have a console, on a small pole but high enough to not interfere with your vision or passengers. Stern light either on a pole on the stern or on the engine cowling.
All that is for the legal part but small boats are difficult to see. If I go out at night, I carry a very powerful search light that I can flash a few times if I feel that big boat did not see me.
And if possible, I run along a shallow edge on which I can take refuge: he'll run aground before getting to me.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

mango2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mango2 »

If I mounted the combination red/green bow light on the bow seat, would it be a problem as the seat sits 5 inches below the rubrails?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

mango2 wrote:If I mounted the combination red/green bow light on the bow seat, would it be a problem as the seat sits 5 inches below the rubrails?
The light must be visible. Taking the trim of the boat in account, that wouldn't work. Even at level trim . . .

Somewhere in my garage, I have a combination light that I assembled years ago.
It is made of a pole about 8' with a white all around at the top and about 12" below, the red and green.
It is legal, easy to move around but even with a small screen under the lights, it interferes with my night vision = I did not use it much.

mango2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mango2 »

thank you, Jacques.....maybe a short pole for combination bow light (red/green) and taller stern light pole for stern light on frames a/b seat.....

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes: a short removable pole forward with red and green plus white above it and a stern light on another pole behind you.
Only two removable poles, two things to wire.

mango2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mango2 »

thank you, all...now planning to dedicate 2 switch circuits....one for anchor light and the other for combo red/green bow light...

the wire run from aft for anchor light probably won't pose a problem concealing it as I'll use the stringer and stainless steel staples to tack the 16 ga duplex parallel wire to under frame D seat and console....

however, the bow light wiring from frame cut-out will be exposed for about 2 feet to the console at Frame D.....thinking to epoxy glue redwood electric conduit over the wire from the corner or drill small wire hole just at the frame cut-out corner stern side....