GF16 Inside Complete

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JGB
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JGB »

That interior paint looks great. Very nice job. What type of paint did you use and how did you apply it?

bharbaugh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bharbaugh »

Thanks for the kind words and looking with one eye closed.

As they say in the South, That there is Aerospace grade Polyeurothane.

I work in Aerospace and we can only keep paint for a year. So there just happened to be 3 gallons of Epoxy primer and three gallons of white gloss polyeurothane that went out of date. No cooincidence either. Why pay the EPA to haul it away when I could use it on the boat. It is sold by Lord Corporation, it is called Aeroglaze. We use it on stuff that mounts to wings so I assumed it was good enough as long as I don't leave the boat in the water to long.

I rolled the first coat of primer with a foam brush to get thick coverage. Then I sanded with 100 grit and sprayed the second coat of primer. I sanded that with 180 then shot the first coat of paint. I sanded that with 220 then shot the second coat of paint. Two coats of paint, two coats of primer. I have an old Binks2000 spray gun that worked real well.

I spent a lot of time fairing the inside before I did anything. I used almost 3 gallons of Dry Fairing Mix on the inside and bottom.