AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by ks8 »

You will blink and there will be a boat taking shape in front of you. :)

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Thanks KS8 for encouraging me to carry on a bit faster in Winter.
It took me so long because I had some chores like painting ten doors of my 110 year old house and getting the garden
ready for Winter.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Progress is slow in comparison to all the guys building, but I have now the centerboard ready for melting the lead into it.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Here is a picture of the top of the centerboard, where I am planning to use the lifting system for small boats described in the How To's. I hope my AD14 is small enough that it will work.

and here one of the pivot hole which has a diameter of 16 mm while the ss pipe going thru has 15 mm.

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

It looks really good. I am using the same method to lower my centreboard. The only issue Iis that the centreboard can slam back to the retracted position if the boat flips. Hopefully that never happens :lol:
Stuff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Somewhere on the plans, I show a line or a pin that keeps the CB form slamming back in the boat in case of a very unlikely 180 degree capsize.
A pin with a wooden dowel is easy yo install. Make the dowel small enough to break in case of grounding.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

I use a ss bolt to booth hold the keel up when traveling and when he keel is down that same bolt stops it from retracting should I end up upside down

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

Cool Das boot. That's a good idea.
Stuff

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Thanks jacques and das boot,

I will use such a pin when I get towards putting the keel into the finished trunk. ( "Big" problem is to choose a thin dowel or Georges ss pin. )

Right now I want to finish the trunk and leave the melting of lead on the keel because I wouldnt be able to test fit it
with an additional 56 KG.

I have a question about glassing the inside of the trunk. Should i put a small strip of glass also on all connecting 51 mm ( 2") battens with which the 2 sides of the trunk will be put together ?

I want to use as batten material paulownia wood which has the advantage that it is a hardwood nearly as light as balsa.
With my Adelie 14 I want to reach the designed weight and I think this could help me towards that goal.
I know it is beeing used on standup paddle boards. I used it as seats on my Micro-Petrel dinghy and I liked working with it.
Its woodworking characteristics is close to NW Red Cedar and it it is much cheaper here than oak for instance.

Any suggestions or comments if I should do this or experiences of forum members are very welcome.

Greetings from Karl ( and cold Austria )

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

Karl
I used WRC (Western Red Cedar) because is very rot resistance. The only issue with it is the strength. Since the sole and the frames hold the center trunk in place the battens don't need to be as strong as teak. I will use something that is rot resistance with a tick coat epoxy.
Stuff