AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Jeff »

Looks good Karl!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

The tweaks you're making will make sailing her easier. Nice. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Good work, Karl. Rudders can certainly cause the problems you describe. Good solution.
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Yes the rudder modification will be a great help as I fiddled on the wabbly water for minutes until I had it hung, now it takes 10 seconds. It is a pity that such small detail is not mentioned on the boat plans and you only find out whilst using the boat.

This is a picture of the changed Gudgeon holes and the old ones filled with epoxy and a strip of sticky tape that the epoxy does not run out and down the transom:

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

8)
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
As You all know a boat is never finished and therefore I show you what I have done to make my life easier when I slip my boat.
It takes me 20 minutes at the slip until I am ready to push the boat into the water. I tested this at a shopping centre parking lot without the boat on the trailer so I could also test manoeuvring the trailer with my front tow ball. I just have to replace the the tow coupling with my tow bar extension and hitch it again to the car :

[

And for getting the boat nicely into the middle of the trailer before pulling the trailer out of the water I made myself 2 pilot bars.
Here is a picture of the PS:

And while I was at the improving stage I also mounted railing wires surrounded them with foam insulation and sewed some covers.

And the next thing I do will be to make an additional hatch so I can stand up next to the mast partner. It will be a glass hatch so the additional benefit is more light in the cabin. I cut the glass plate already and the opening will be 57cm x 57 cm so my big fat body can get through. If I would buy such a hatch I would have to fork out a few hundred Euros, while I hope to make mine for just 150 Euros.

Hope to be sailing next month.
Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you Karl!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Really good to hear from you Karl! I miss seeing pictures of you and your smiling face :D

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Hi Karl! I agree with Fuzz. Great hearing from you. Looks like you have things figured out. I’m curious to see you and the glass hatch in action.

I’m taking Tipsy down to Murrells Inlet (solo) tomorrow morning . She will be fully rigged but I will most likely stay at anchor in the inlet where I will read, drink, eat and work on my tan :D
And I’m going to sleep onboard for the second time this month - I’ll post pics

Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

Just a short report of my last sail two days ago with my daughter, son in law and their 2 kids. It was hot and not much wind but we managed 2 to 3 knots checked on my freesailgps app. We had a lot of fun and it was the first outing of my duck and crocodile on a line and the hit for my granddaughters being towed with them in the water.

And here one more picture of the sail while we were rigging the sail

Greetings from Karl.
Last edited by gonandkarl on Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.