Page 1 of 1

Another FL14 Launch -Pics

Posted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:37 pm
by ross61
Finally, launch day. Great way to spend Mothers Day!! Did not do any fishing, just spent three hours cruising Lake Tichigan and the Fox River. I definately need some practice backing the trailer up. The boat ramp was at the end of a long, narrow gravel road. Had to back down the whole way. Not too many witnesses, so I suffered only minor embaressment. The others I saw did a little better, but it didn't look like it was easy for anyone. Great fun. The 1948 Elgin ran fine all day, but it sure does vibrate alot and is a little underpowered with the three of us on the boat.

Have a great day!! - I did!!

Ross

Posted: Sun May 09, 2004 4:54 pm
by Rick
That's a nice looking boat. Congratulations!

That's a pretty happy looking skipper, too. Boys and boats just go together.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:22 pm
by Grant
Ross,

You finally did it man! Very nice job, and nice "on the water" pics. Congratulations, isn't it a great feeling?

Grant

Posted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:36 pm
by PJPiercey
Congratulations on a great looking FL14 :D You did a super job on it, you should be very proud.

Paul Piercey

Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:09 am
by ejohns
Ross

You did an outstanding job. The boat looks great. You should be proud.

Ernie

Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:44 am
by Flat Fish
Good job! Boat looks Great.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:56 pm
by tobolamr
Looks good, Ross!

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:55 am
by slitvamo
Congratulations! You've done a beautiful job. Enjoy.

Tom

P.S. What are you going to build next?

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:25 pm
by ross61
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I want to really thank everyone on this forum for their help and support for the whole process.

Special thanks to Scott and Grant, and of course Jacques and Evan.

Tom, like many here, I change my mind weekly on what to build next. One thing I've noticed from other boat owners I know - the bigger and more complex the boat, the less it gets used. I'm leaning towards an OB15 or 18 next, with a sailboat to follow. Right now I'm going to enjoy this boat for the summer, try to save some money, and start building something next year.

Ross

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:29 pm
by BilltheCat
That Boat Building Bug is tough - cause it ain't illegal, immoral or fattening, it's hard to make up reasons not to "Go Ahead!"

Real nice ballance between paint and bright - the Elgin seems right for the style - enjoy.

Is that Epoxyshield on the Hull?

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:11 pm
by ross61
Nope - Just Porch and Deck Latex, inside and out. Thanks again Dave for the Panga stuff. I sent you a PM at amateurboatbuilding.

Ross

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:30 pm
by odras
Very, very nice, I like the bright also. Everytime I see one of you guys splash a boat I get motivated

Now all I have to do is get the job, the wife, the kids and the (&^&^^ lawn to allow me to act on my motivation :lol:

Really nice work, you should be proud.

Bill

P.S. your son has great taste in hoop teams

Posted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:38 am
by MadRus
Ross,

Excellent job! Another wicked nice FL14. I like the lines of that model, and it looks great in rich colors. Enjoy your summer.

-Dave

Posted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:18 pm
by st
Ross,

Good going. I'm glad for you. You’re a patient man, being able to wait so long after build to get it in the water, but I’ll bet it was worth the wait.

It looks great and the water way looks just right for the FL. You made a good choice.

Scott

Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:59 am
by ks8
Great Job!

And look... there's people in it... and on the water too.... and when that's the case, not only the people are happy, but so is the boat. She's doing what her new life is purposed for.

Of course some boats are destined for other glorious purposes, such as Jacques PK78 which now serves as a planter.... :lol:

But this, ah, thanks for the pictures of a boat on the water with happy people in it. It should inspire another 8 hours of sanding out of me!

Nice touch with the brightwork.

sincerely,
ks