Shamrock kid's Fs18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Shamrock kid's Fs18

Post by blueflood »

Nice job Shamrock Kid. Good progress, cleats on to boot !!

Marc

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

blueflood wrote:Nice job Shamrock Kid. Good progress, cleats on to boot !!

Marc
Thanks Marc, yeah I'm doing cleats now. This step is allot different cut and fit all these small pieces then seal em with epoxy. Then glue them back in place. I like it because its something new to the build. I got all the cleats for the soul done already. The ones for the forward compartment are drying from the epoxy seal coat. So today I started drilling holes for my chase tube for the fuel line. One small step at a time, I try and do something every day. Should be pouring foam this weekend. I'm going to let my son help I think he will get a kick out of the foam. :D
John

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Doing some catching up to see some of the other FS18 build threads, looking good. I started my build in May with intentions to complete by Sept 1 as you did. Like you and others have stated this is really enjoyable, and I can see that if you rush it, it can get frustrating. I've changed my target date to April 1, 2014.

I'll be sure to bookmark your thread as well to keep up. Look forward to seeing the completion of your build!

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

Thanks Mike, yeah that's a more realistic dead line. I have no idea any longer when I'll finish and I don't really care. :D I'm just going to keep working and enjoying it until its done. I look forward to watching your build come together. Get to it and post lots of pics. I'm still on cleat duty and chase tube, that way I'll be ready for foam this weekend. I'll post pics of this weekend.
John

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi John,

Regardless of our boat designs, our chase tubes are essentially the same for fuel, vents, electrical. Can you you tell me the sizes of tubes you are using for what system ?

Marc

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

Marc, my fuel tank will be mounted forward below deck. I'm using 1 1/4" PVC as a chase tube from that compartment straight to the rear. It will also double as a drain for that compartment. I'll just cut it flush with the deck and run the fuel line through it. If any water ever gets in that compartment it will just run down and out to the stern. I'll have nav lights, bilge pump, and possibly trim tabs. My battery is going to be forward as well, but not in the same compartment as the fuel tank. For the wiring ill run 1" PVC I'll post some pics of it. The fuel chase tube idea is actually Cracker Larry's design. I liked what he did so I copy it. Thanks again CL!
John

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

:D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi John, CL and others....

OK, thanks for that. I was wondering about the fuel fill chase as well. That is for a standard 1-1/2" hose. In the HMD19 things are pretty tight below the sole with a 12 gal tank (fittings are all on top of tank) so the fill hose will need to be flexible. Not sure about your design but typically, the chase would run up the side / below gunwale to the fuel fill and protect the fuel hose ?

Marc

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Typically you don't run the fill hose in a chase, the pipe size needed would be almost impractical. 1 1/2" fill hose is some pretty stiff stuff and doesn't bend easily or tight. Some people box it in where it runs up to the gunwale, some just leave it exposed.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Shamrock Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shamrock Kid »

Hey Marc,
Yeah my fuel filler will be run to a flush mount fill neck that will mount on the deck. Not sure of the location just yet. As CL said no need to put it in a chase tube its some pretty sturdy hose.
Here's a pic of the two forward compartments. The first will be a battery locker, while the second will be the fuel locker.
In this pic there is one drain tube, and one electrical chase. The drain is flush, and the electrical is raised off the deck.
Here the tube will be cut flush after the final installation of the deck. It will serve as a drain and fuel hose chase all in one.
This is a look under the sole of the second compartment. The drain extends forward to drain the forward locker if any water should happen to get past the hatch. The electrical chase just goes straight though. Keep in mind I'm running a pull start engine so I'm not running engine wires. Just nav lights, trim tabs, bilge pump. Possibly a live well not sure yet.
The drains and chase tubes run under the sole straight back. The electrical chases stop and turn up towards the rear of the cockpit. I plan on making a center box with a grab handle on top. The box will be a good place for a switch panel. Maybe some storage idk.
Then they end up in the motor well. I also am putting and an extra frame between the stringers. The electrical chase will turn up, while the fuel hose / drain chase will not they will both be trimmed to length later.
John