Justin's P19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Justin's P19

Post by topwater »

Looks like you have got the idea . Put a finish nail into the center of frame B and A to keep panels apart .
When you get to the bow mold the edges of the panels will end up being apart by the thickness of the bow mold.
I think mine ended up being something like 3/8 " gap .
Novi 23 finally launched !

gk108

Post by gk108 »

One thing I have noticed is that were the bottom panels come together at the bow (about frame B to A) it looks like the two meet with some force, I was thinking of putting a small dowl or something in to maintain the gap and so one panel doesn't slide over the other one.
A dowel on the inside of the angle is one way to do it. Sometimes just a nail slipped in the gap will be enough to stop them from overlapping. On the bow of my V10, I had to use some temporary cleats to hold the ply in the right place:
You'll probably have to go around the track a few times to get it all adjusted right. Tighten some stitches here and there, replace a few that are pulled too tight, etc.
CC, D15, V10

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Thanks for all your help guys, I will take my time and make sure I get it right.

Pretty hard not to rush on with excitement, but I'll slow it down a bit.....hang on, that's what my wife says!! :lol:

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

I got to stitching the panels together at the bow, and something just wasn't working, the bow was coming together crooked.

So I have taken the jig apart, relevelled the strongback using a water tube and will reassemble the frames and start again :doh:

No point proceeding with a crap boat!!

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Justin take both side panels and lay them mirror on top of each other make sure they symetrical. Do the same for the bottom panels. If they are perfect you can proceed if not trim them. Make sure transom is correct with its angle. On my p21 i felt that the station before the transom was most important for square. If all is set up pin the bottom and sides identically to the transom and gently begin to stich. I tried to imagine the sides and bottom as two sides of a triangle coming together. If you start even at the stern it should meet even ant the bow. If not it is out of square. If you can square a triangle. Hope this helps
Dave

ladnercoatings
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ladnercoatings »

Yeah It is right..

ladnercoatings
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ladnercoatings »

Thanks for your project.. Before complete your building know about one thing for your project. it is very helpful to you... " Waterproofing solutions"

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I have been a bit time poor lately with the arrival of our first baby, how nieve was I to think I would have time to build a boat :lol:

I basically started again.

I levelled the strogbacks and triple checked all the frames for square and position.

I have now stitched all the hull pieces together and I am happy with the shape overall.

One thing I have noticed is a slight hook on the keel near the transom (about where the panels are spliced together), what do you think? I was thinking of putting a straight edge here and a jack under the hull and slowly pushing it up until it was flat. Would this work?

I have heard lots about the bows of the P19 being "droopy"...I think the profile looks good, I pulled the bow tip back in as hard as I can and it meets the end of the bow piece, but I am not sure. Has anyone that knows what the shape should look like got anything to add here?

If all is good, I will start gluing the seams.

Thanks for your help again.

Justin.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Man does that look familiar,
One thing I have noticed is a slight hook on the keel near the transom (about where the panels are spliced together), what do you think? I was thinking of putting a straight edge here and a jack under the hull and slowly pushing it up until it was flat. Would this work?
Yes,
I had the same problem, here’s what I did at the time,

With the slurry of slurry excitement I almost forgot, just before I fiberglass I noticed a bit of a dip in the hull, maybe 1/4", 5' from the transom, so I climbed under the hull and propped it up right under the dip, it worked great, I have since removed the prop-up, after the glass cured, and no dip.

Here’s what Eric told me about my bow droop when I was at that stage,

What I was thinking was that the bow deck piece would give you the shape of the last couple feet of the hull and the desired angle at the bow. Alternately, you may be able to sight near the floor and see if the top edge of the hull makes a fair curve all the way to the bow, getting closer and closer to the floor, or tends to curve back upward for the last couple feet. A little variation here is no big deal. Several of us have proven that the boat will float whether or not the bow droops a little.

I hope that helps,
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

That is a nice looking stitching job. I also had some hook when I was at your stage and did the same thing as Joe, a little shim on the last bulkhead. You should not be able to slide a piece of paper under a straight edge in the last 6' of keel.

As for the droop, you've got it. Look at the first and sixth images in my gallery and you can make your own conclusions. Off hand, I don't mind it too much, except it means that the forward deck piece will not fit as drawn and the bow sprit will not sit on a flat surface. If you are determined to make the first one that looks like the prints, you may have to shorten the mold a bit.

Go for it.