Page 1 of 1

Justin's P19

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 am
by justin_dwyer
I have started building a P19 after a years deliberating which boat to build.

I collected a heap of wood from industrial bins around Darwin, can't believe what people throw out, I even found 2x6inch sleepers in a bin, enough for my strongbacks and all the uprights I'll need. Plus I scored a heap of ply from a demolision site.

I'd be grateful for any info, tips, tricks that might save me from making any mistakes that anyone has already made.

Cheers

Wood from the bins

Strongbacks

Good use of dead tomatos

Re: Justin's P19

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:13 pm
by Joe H
Welcome aboard Justin,
Can't wait to see this one come together!

What kind of plywood are you using for the hull?

Joe H

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm
by peter-curacao
Joe H wrote:
What kind of plywood are you using for the hull?

Joe H
I was wondering the same thing, what are you cutting up there? Image

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:20 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys.

I am using AA Marine ply, 12mm for the transom (plus 2 clamping boards both 12 mm), 9mm for the frames and 6mm for the hull.

Why, what have you seen?

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 am
by pee wee
justin_dwyer wrote: Plus I scored a heap of ply from a demolision site.
I suspect that comment made people wonder. :wink:

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 am
by Joe H
justin_dwyer wrote:
Plus I scored a heap of ply from a demolision site.

I suspect that comment made people wonder
You got it Hank!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am
by justin_dwyer
Haha, I should have clarified...I got all the stuff from the bins for frames, etc. I bought the marine ply.

What is an acceptable error range when measuring the diagonals from the transom outside edge to the opposite side on frame C, I have 2cm and think it is too much. Might start again.

What are your thoughts?

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 am
by jacquesmm
I would say 10 mm (3/8) is fine. 20 mm is a little too much but not dramatically bad.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 am
by Cracker Larry
I shoot for perfect :D Why not :?:

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am
by jacquesmm
Kick it.
I'm not joking, tapping one of the strongbacks with a rubber mallet is sometimes enough to line it up.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
Rubber mallet is what I use. Sometimes I kick it too, but no reason you can't make it perfect :D

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm
by justin_dwyer
Yep, I'll give it a kick and go for perfect. If it doesn't work I'll start it again. Too early to start making mistakes :)

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:54 am
by justin_dwyer
Kicked the shit out of it, but that didn't line everything up. :doh:

So I took it all apart and started again, I now have all the longitudinal distances from the transom to frame C within 2mm and the diagonal from transom to opposite corner on frame C is 7mm.

I can sleep now!
:)

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:17 am
by justin_dwyer
I started again and now have some progress.

I have the jig almost ready, I just need to put up the bow piece, will do that after work today...hopefully.

I am still trying to source some decent marine ply for the hull. I did buy some, however I didn't look at it first....wont't make that mistake again. It was rubbish and I managed to send it back and get a full refund.

I will find some good stuff and then proceed.

My wife is due next weekend, so the build may grind to a hault for a while...although I'm sure I'll be able to manage an hour here and an hour there.

I'll try and get the hull together this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 am
by ericsil
The bow mold is very important in getting the tip of the bow in the right position. At least half the P19 and P21s on the site, including mine, have bow droop, from not pulling the tip of the bow close enough to the A frame. The plywood will resist taking this bend vigorously. You may need to do it over the course of several days, letting the wood relax in between. You will know when you get there, because the hull line will flow in a uniform curve toward the floor all the way to the tip. On that topic, I hope that the end of the frame is not going to interfere. That bow ends up very close to the floor.

You are off to a great start. Keep the cards and letters coming.

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Eric,

I just drew up the bow mold and realised just that, the panels will come together on the strong back :oops:

I will brace the strong back near frame A and then cut the end off. Hopefully all the frames stay in alignment, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for your insite, I'll make sure I get a good shape there.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:12 pm
by vidar
Just jam a 2x4 crosspiece in there and add some triangles on each side (horizontally), and you should be fine. Use 12cm screws for the 2x4; you'll get a good grip then. After the triangles are in place, you can cut safely without anything moving. Perhaps not a bad idea to screw down a piece of ply at the center of the strongbacks to lock everything in place until you've started to glass. At least if the build won't get much done in the months to come. :)

Good luck with the baby! :) The boat too, of course.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:04 am
by justin_dwyer
OK, been a while since an update.

I have fixed the Bow Piece and got that installed.

I recieved my plywood and fibreglass, had to order it from interstate in the end.

I have cut and spliced the bottom panels and lifted them onto the jig. :)

But now I need some input from someone who has been at this step before :help:

Can someone please run through the process of fixing the panels to the jig to get the best shape possible (please provide as much detail as possible as I haven't done this before).

I started stitching the panels with zip ties, however when I got to Frame C the panels started lifting off the frames and caused a hook towards the stern.

While I understand the physics behind why this happens, how do I correct it for the hull. I know I need as little possible screws, etc to the jig so the wood can curve naturally.

I was thinking of screwing the panels to the transom (with about an 8mm gap at the keel, using small dowels) and then working my way forward and putting some crews somewhere about Frame C so that the keel is flat to here and then bending the bow end to the bow piece.

Do I fix the bottom to the jig and then hang the sides, or do I hang the sides to the bottom and then fix to the jig after that.

A bit confused :doh:

Also, I was going to get under the hull and run some tape (pvc tape) along the gap so that the glue doesn't run, is this ok?

I'd be appreciative of any help.

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 am
by topwater
Once i had the bottom panels on the jig and lined up " pretty much where you are at right now " I put a finnish nail
in the center of all frames sticking up between the panels to keep a small gap. Make sure you have packing tape
on your frames anywhere there is going to be a seam , you dont want to glue it to the jig. I put two screws in each
bottom panel at the transom to hold everything in position . Looking at your jig you mite want to drill some holes in the bow mold
so you can pass the zip ties threw .
Image Snug up the ties along the keel so the
edges touch the nails " not to tight" dont worry about the bow yet. Hang your side panels, again line everything up
and put two screws in each panel at the transom to hold position , dont over tighten the zip ties at this time.
Image When you start the bow
start at frame A and work towards the bow as the panels get closer add more zip ties , tighten all ties a little at a time.
Keep working all around the boat to make sure everything is still lined up . Take you time dont force panels , let them
take there shape.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:15 am
by justin_dwyer
Making progress slowly, I watch some of you other guys building like demons....you get yours up real quick. :)

I guess a newborn was always going to slow me down a bit. I suggested calling him "Windless", so he knew what his job was, but the wife wasn't so keen :lol:

I have got the bottom panels on and the lower side panels stitched to these, looks like there is a fine art to getting the shape just right.

I have put some screws in the bottom panels and the side panels at the transom to hold them in position with a small gap between each piece and have started working my way forward with the stitches. One side has a much better shape than the other, however I figure by the time I have gone all the way round the shape will correct itself (I hope). I ran out of time to finish yesterday as the little fella started to have a meltdown.

One thing I have noticed is that were the bottom panels come together at the bow (about frame B to A) it looks like the two meet with some force, I was thinking of putting a small dowl or something in to maintain the gap and so one panel doesn't slide over the other one.

Does this sound about right, or is it a sign there is something wrong somewhere?

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 am
by topwater
Looks like you have got the idea . Put a finish nail into the center of frame B and A to keep panels apart .
When you get to the bow mold the edges of the panels will end up being apart by the thickness of the bow mold.
I think mine ended up being something like 3/8 " gap .

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 am
by gk108
One thing I have noticed is that were the bottom panels come together at the bow (about frame B to A) it looks like the two meet with some force, I was thinking of putting a small dowl or something in to maintain the gap and so one panel doesn't slide over the other one.
A dowel on the inside of the angle is one way to do it. Sometimes just a nail slipped in the gap will be enough to stop them from overlapping. On the bow of my V10, I had to use some temporary cleats to hold the ply in the right place:
You'll probably have to go around the track a few times to get it all adjusted right. Tighten some stitches here and there, replace a few that are pulled too tight, etc.

Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for all your help guys, I will take my time and make sure I get it right.

Pretty hard not to rush on with excitement, but I'll slow it down a bit.....hang on, that's what my wife says!! :lol:

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 pm
by justin_dwyer
I got to stitching the panels together at the bow, and something just wasn't working, the bow was coming together crooked.

So I have taken the jig apart, relevelled the strongback using a water tube and will reassemble the frames and start again :doh:

No point proceeding with a crap boat!!

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:17 pm
by Hope2float
Justin take both side panels and lay them mirror on top of each other make sure they symetrical. Do the same for the bottom panels. If they are perfect you can proceed if not trim them. Make sure transom is correct with its angle. On my p21 i felt that the station before the transom was most important for square. If all is set up pin the bottom and sides identically to the transom and gently begin to stich. I tried to imagine the sides and bottom as two sides of a triangle coming together. If you start even at the stern it should meet even ant the bow. If not it is out of square. If you can square a triangle. Hope this helps
Dave

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:28 am
by ladnercoatings
Yeah It is right..

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:50 am
by ladnercoatings
Thanks for your project.. Before complete your building know about one thing for your project. it is very helpful to you... " Waterproofing solutions"

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:44 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I have been a bit time poor lately with the arrival of our first baby, how nieve was I to think I would have time to build a boat :lol:

I basically started again.

I levelled the strogbacks and triple checked all the frames for square and position.

I have now stitched all the hull pieces together and I am happy with the shape overall.

One thing I have noticed is a slight hook on the keel near the transom (about where the panels are spliced together), what do you think? I was thinking of putting a straight edge here and a jack under the hull and slowly pushing it up until it was flat. Would this work?

I have heard lots about the bows of the P19 being "droopy"...I think the profile looks good, I pulled the bow tip back in as hard as I can and it meets the end of the bow piece, but I am not sure. Has anyone that knows what the shape should look like got anything to add here?

If all is good, I will start gluing the seams.

Thanks for your help again.

Justin.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 pm
by Joe H
Man does that look familiar,
One thing I have noticed is a slight hook on the keel near the transom (about where the panels are spliced together), what do you think? I was thinking of putting a straight edge here and a jack under the hull and slowly pushing it up until it was flat. Would this work?
Yes,
I had the same problem, here’s what I did at the time,

With the slurry of slurry excitement I almost forgot, just before I fiberglass I noticed a bit of a dip in the hull, maybe 1/4", 5' from the transom, so I climbed under the hull and propped it up right under the dip, it worked great, I have since removed the prop-up, after the glass cured, and no dip.

Here’s what Eric told me about my bow droop when I was at that stage,

What I was thinking was that the bow deck piece would give you the shape of the last couple feet of the hull and the desired angle at the bow. Alternately, you may be able to sight near the floor and see if the top edge of the hull makes a fair curve all the way to the bow, getting closer and closer to the floor, or tends to curve back upward for the last couple feet. A little variation here is no big deal. Several of us have proven that the boat will float whether or not the bow droops a little.

I hope that helps,
Joe H

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:27 pm
by ericsil
That is a nice looking stitching job. I also had some hook when I was at your stage and did the same thing as Joe, a little shim on the last bulkhead. You should not be able to slide a piece of paper under a straight edge in the last 6' of keel.

As for the droop, you've got it. Look at the first and sixth images in my gallery and you can make your own conclusions. Off hand, I don't mind it too much, except it means that the forward deck piece will not fit as drawn and the bow sprit will not sit on a flat surface. If you are determined to make the first one that looks like the prints, you may have to shorten the mold a bit.

Go for it.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:26 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Justin that looks like a fine job of stitching. Just remember to keep a flat plane 8 feet up from transom. When you perform all of the transom taping it will probably be a 1/4" higher then the hull bottom. Use 12 oz glass to make up for the difference just forward of the tape. Cracker gave me this solution instead of adding pounds of fairing compound then proceed with fairing. Your hull looks great and my p21 had good lines but maybe a slight droop it still took a flat foredeck. I had multiple layers of plywood for the windlass.
If you choose to do any light cloth over say a 12 oz make sure you fill the weave of the 12oz with wood flour slurry to avoid the hundreds of air bubbles that I had to grind Into with carbide ball on my dremel. One of my stupid mistakes that I paid dearly for.
If you tape the chine and keel and let cure sand it and fill weave with woodflour before laying bottom glass. These are my .02 if anyone has a better solution please share it. Let's help him to not learn by mistakes
BUILD-ON!
Dave
Can't wait to see this one. Joe's is almost there and looks fine as well

Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for your replies Joe, Eric and Dave.

I fixed that hook near the transom pretty easy with a couple of shims on Frames E and F.

I also see what you mean about the bow droop now, pretty obvious when you get on the floor and have a look. I got a couple of G-clamps in there and pulled it back as far as I can with the bow mold, but I reckon it needs to come back about 6 inches or so to get rid of it, I can't see it happening with the bow mold in the way, and I double checked all the dimensions and distances etc.

Is this a problem with the design or what?

Anyway, I reckon I will just forge on...what is a little "droop" if it floats.

When I come to doing the deck I might engineer a new bow piece to continue the curve upwards. I'll see how creative I feel at that stage. I don't feel like unstitching it and cutting the bow piece at this stage...might be something that I regret, but hey!!

Thanks for your tips on filling the weave Dave, I'll do that for sure. Might hit you up again when I get tho that stage.....hopefully sooner rather than later :wink:

Thanks again for all your help.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 am
by Walkers Run
I couldn't get the droop out of my cs 25 at that stage either. I used meranti instead of okoume. At first I thought I would leave it but decided to get rid of the droop by adding a tapered piece of ply to the top of the shear. I glued it in place and put 3 layers of tape in and out, probably over kill but it's pleanty stout. I didn't take any pictures of the process but you can see the finished repair in this one.
On the other hand a lot of boats actually look good with a little bow droop.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13 pm
by Hope2float
Justin don't sweat the bow droop. You can also compensate for it a little when you attach the rub rail. Just don't pull it down that much to the shear, fill void with woodflour mix, shape to hull and through a piece of glass over it. I believe the bow line will line up on a parallel with the hull line. I also think the drop is part of the design, but I maybe wrong. Back to the boat it looks great and it is a good starting platform. Don't analate over it it will suck up valuable building time. I guess I'm saying think ahead but move forward as well. These guys can help with any issue and give you a heads up most of the time before the mistake is made. Post a lot of pictures 1 because we like them 2 somebody might see something that may need attention.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:18 pm
by justin_dwyer
Good suggestions, thanks.

Walkers Run, I was thinking of doing something along those lines, however I do like the idea of building up the shear with the rubrails, I'll give that a crack when I get there.

Good idea about moving forward Dave, I tend to overthink things in order to get it perfect, but it will be faster to sand for 3 extra days than think for 5 days before doing something :wink:

No more boat pics for now, so I thought I'd post a fish pic of a mackeral I caught last week, which helps with the motivation to get this boat built so I can get out wider.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm
by Joe H
Justin,
Nice mackeral, I've never caught a fish that big! Maybe next year at Boca Grande I'll tie into one of those Tarpon.

No worries about the bow droop yours looks fine but I do like what Walkers Run did with his but I don't think yours looks that bad, I also adjusted my rub rail a little, I'll get a close up pic of it soon.

Nice fish.
Joe H

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:39 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys,

I have finished stitching and taping the insides of the chine and keel to start tacking the hull with epoxy, hopefully tomorrow.

As a last check I put a straight edge on the keel and planing area to make sure they flat, and I have a problem.

Getting this hull together is harder than I thought, I'll feel so much happy when the hull is locked in shape!

The keel is straight with no hook, etc however one side has a slight rise in the centre of one panel, I thought it was resting on a stringer perhaps, but doesn't look like it from underneath. The curve is about 5mm in the centre, given that I will have slightly higher edges from chine and keel taping do you think I will be able fair this out?

I really don't want to unstitch it :help:

What are the potential problems with the boat if I leave this and I don't get it 100% fair?

Thanks again for help.
Justin

Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 pm
by Hope2float
Post a pic of the area with a straight edge so we can see. Better to get a few opinions then to move on and have a problem.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 am
by Shamrock Kid
justin_dwyer wrote:The keel is straight with no hook, etc however one side has a slight rise in the centre of one panel, I thought it was resting on a stringer perhaps, but doesn't look like it from underneath.
Justin
Is there a chance you might have stitches that are to tight causing the rise? You may have to add weight to the area in question to get it to lay down until your done filleting. But make sure the panels are not to tightly pulled together. They should be relaxed with a small gap between them. If you find an area that is to tight you can just redo that section you don't need to restitch the entire hull. But pics help allot. :D

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:12 pm
by justin_dwyer
I decided to fix that problem with the hull now before fairing, from what I have read that is the worst job of building the whole boat, so I don't want to be doing anymore than I have to.

I will post pictures soon, but I removed the stitches from the panel in question down to where the bow starts to curve, tied a rope around it and suspended it from the roof and I got under it and got into the srtingers with a wood rasp to knock all the high edges off.

If I made the stringers again I would take about 10mm off the outside piece before gluing them together, that way they would take the shape of the hull. I have shaped this on, but before the outside was square and was sticking up above the frame. I hope this makes sense?

On laying the panel back down and having a quick inspection, it all looks good.

I'll finish it tonight and post some pictures.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 am
by TomTom
Justin - you are a wise man. If I learned anything from my C19 build it is that it is much better to get the hull as close to fair as possible before you add any glass - right now you can keep tweaking with it till its close to perfect. If you just say screw it and glass it you will have to fill those low spots with resin fiber - which I ended up doing!

Its not an exact science and I know that different woods etc bend differently aswell, but the most important parts of that planing hull are the rear 8 feet or so - try and get those perfect.

Use a straight edge on those sections and get it as close to fair as possible; then stich between the wire ties with thickened epoxy; take the ties out and have a good final go at smoothing everything out before taping and sheathing.

All the flaws get telegraphed through the layers of fiber so better to fix them at the begining.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:49 am
by TomTom
Oh - and cut out the bow mold - it won't take long and you won't be haunted by the thought that you should have done it a few months from now!

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the advice TomTom, are you suggesting that I cut the last 20cm or so off the bow mold so I can pull that bow in to get the required curve down towards the ground?

Did you do this for your C19?

Here are some pictures of how I suspended the bottom of the hull so I could get at the stringers to eliminate the issue.

A little bit primitive, but it worked :D

Just as I laid the panel back down and did a quick check it started to rain, so I threw the covers back on and it has been raining on and off since, plus work gets in the way...as it usually does, so I haven't had a chance to finish it off properly.

Will post some more when I have finished.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:30 am
by TomTom
What I meant was that I used the bow mold - I think Jacques says its optional - but I used everything that I could to try and get the hull the shape its meant to be.

Most important is to get the bottom right; there is still quite a bit of flexibility in the side panels after all the seams are taped, so you could probably pull a lot of bow droop out later if you wanted.

Just keep tweaking the panels; its frustrating but you will get there

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:35 am
by justin_dwyer
OK, got it.

I hear you about getting frustrated with it, feel like I have been stitching this boat together for months :doh:

I'll get into it again on the weekend.

It is almost getting too wet here now to start thinking about fibreglassing anyway, monsoon is starting to hit Darwin, might even get a cyclone forming over the weekend.

Posted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 pm
by justin_dwyer
I have been playing with the hull shape for what seems like for ever...but I have a shape I am happy to proceed with :)

I managed to get the planning edges as flat as possible, with only one slight dip in one spot that will need to be faired out, but it is near the taped edge so I am hoping that it will raised a little with the tape, even so it is only a mm or two so not that worried.

I have started to glue it up now, I feel happy that soon the hull shape will be locked in place.

It has definately been harder than I imagine as I think I was a little crude with the jig and frames.

The next time I build a boat (and there will be more :D ) I will make sure I spend a lot more time on the jig and making sure the panels are cut as perfectly as possible and that the stringers don't come anywhere near the top of the frames...lessons learned for next time.

The only problem that I have is that Darwin is about 34-35 degrees (C) everyday and about 70 - 90% humidity, so the epoxy has a very short working time. I tried the method of putting the putty mix in a bag to pipe into teh joints, but just the ambient heat and the heat from my hands set the epoxy off in about 3-4 minutes, so I quickly stopped that method and just used a small spatula and the cup I mixed the epoxy in to fill the joints, this gave me about 10 minutes. I think I will have to buy some extra slow hardener.

Doing the taping and the cloth will be interesting... 8O

I feel like I may be able to get some traction with the boat now, it has been a slow process up until now.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 am
by pee wee
Looks good Justin! That has to be one of the most fun steps in boat building, the moment (okay, not exactly just a moment) the panels become a hull. You'll be glad you spent the extra time with this stage, I think. :)

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:45 pm
by justin_dwyer
No more zip ties...Yeehah!!! :D

I'll finish the patching and start sanding this weekend.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:59 pm
by peter-curacao
Sweet! looking good 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:07 pm
by bigtalljv
I'd check with the bosses here but I think some people have resorted to refrigerating the resins to get a bit more working time. You might so a search here.

Progress looks great.

Jason

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:09 pm
by peter-curacao
bigtalljv wrote: people have resorted to refrigerating the resins to get a bit more working time.
True 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 pm
by justin_dwyer
I thought about getting something like this:
http://www.coolcare-ice.co.za/ST-12-stubby-cooler.htm

They are stubby coolers that you put in the freezer to keep your beer cold in your hand, only I was going to use them to hold my resin cups while I work (maybe a couple for the beers too :D ).

Do you think this may extend my working time?

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 pm
by bigtalljv
Hopefully Peter will chime back in but I think you just chuck the whole gallon jugs in there.

Jason

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:42 pm
by BarraMan
Justin, refrigerating the epoxy may work for glue and fillets, but I tried it for wetting-out glass cloth and found the increased viscosity made it more difficult to wet out the cloth.

I am changing to extra-slow hardener for summer!

Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:44 pm
by justin_dwyer
I think I will get some extra slow hardener aswell.

There is no way I can glass the hull with 3-4 mins per pot!!

How is your boat coming along Lee?

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:12 am
by BarraMan
justin_dwyer wrote:I think I will get some extra slow hardener aswell.
How is your boat coming along Lee?
Unfortunately I have had a few distractions since completing the external glassing, Justin.

I am back into it now and have two months leave, so I should make some good progress. Currently working on stakes.

Then fairing, priming, painting and flipping! :lol:

Hope to be flipped early in the New Year!

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:21 am
by justin_dwyer
Awesome, two months leave is very handy for boat building!! :D

I look forward to seeing your progress :D

Good luck!!

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:10 am
by peter-curacao
justin_dwyer wrote:
Sure you can, if I can do it why shouldn't you? I used the silvertip epoxy with slow harder, just dump the epoxy on the hull and spread it out with a spreader then work it with a short haired roller. keep in mind, the moment it is spread over the glass you prolonged your working time a lot

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:40 am
by gk108
I like these type of rollers for epoxy:
Paint type rollers hold enough extra resin that they have their own exothermic thing going on that accelerates cure. These adhesive rollers hold a lot less resin and reduce that effect enough for me to notice a difference. :wink:

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:08 am
by topwater
I also do it like Peter , dump it on the hull and use a spreader to move the epoxy around then back roll with
a west system foam roller. Just getting the epoxy out of the cup and on the hull should gain a bunch of time before
it kicks.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 am
by pee wee
I use disposable paint roller tray liners to hold the epoxy while I'm working. Anything to spread it out so it doesn't get a chance to build heat will work.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am
by peter-curacao
gk108 wrote: Paint type rollers hold enough extra resin that they have their own exothermic thing going on that accelerates cure.
Not the short haired once like those I showed Justin in another thread,probably more or less the same as the adhesive roller you are showing?

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:15 am
by Walkers Run
In the summer I keep my Marine epoxy in a cooler with a block of ice. It helps.

Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:50 am
by gk108
peter-curacao wrote:
gk108 wrote: Paint type rollers hold enough extra resin that they have their own exothermic thing going on that accelerates cure.
Not the short haired once like those I showed Justin in another thread,probably more or less the same as the adhesive roller you are showing?
Probably the biggest difference is the adhesive rollers have no nap. The outside is more like very short bristles (~3mm) that seem like they hold plenty of resin and also transfer it to the layup without retaining a bunch in the roller to keep it "soaked". The bristles also do a great job of working the resin in and as with the West rollers, you can use more pressure. I cut the 9" into 3" pieces and use them on a 3" roller frame to make short work of seam taping.

None of my boats have involved the large expanses of hull area that a P19 has, but in hot weather 6 oz. batches are about the largest I've been able to manage without worries.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:21 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments on using rollers fo resin, I have never used a roller before, so from all your suggestions I think I will get a few different types and have a practice run on some scrap ply to see what works best for me and the heat here in Darwin. You have given me the choices of rollers that I had no idea about, so thanks. :)

I have spent the weekend patching the remaining holes from the zip ties and got the upper side panels glued to the lower side panels. My wife helped me and we had to move really fast to get the glue spread out before the whole lot went off. But we managed, and got them both glued up before it went off. The is just one more zip tie holding the two upper side panels in place while the glue sets on that joint, but other than that it is just wood and resin now. :D

I started to sand and shape the bow, I am not the cleanest worker (which I know will cost me a lot of time in the end :doh: ), oh well, I'll get there eventually. We got a big storm come across so I had to cover up and call it quits. So I only got a few photos.

I can see that I will have to go around with the putty again and fill in some holes before I glass the seams, as you can see in this photo.

I also have a question about the the joint between the upper and the lower side panels. The are some small gaps between the panels and I was thinking of filling them with straight epoxy, basically just dripping it in there until I think the holes are full and then running some putty along the edge to create a fillet and to cap the joint so I know it is watertight. I will do the same from the other side when I flip the hull. Does this sound plausible?
These are the edge gaps I am talking about.

I primed both surfaces well, however if there are any small gaps inside the joint that haven't got glue, but they are watertight, will this have any adverse effects on the boats integrity?

For future when I am gluing pieces together, should I be trying to get 100% glue between panels, basically have more glue than I need so it squeezes out the sides?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:34 am
by TomTom
Justin that looks really good and neat - it will save you a lot of work down the line. Those gaps seem pretty normal; I had them too. You can use a syringe to squeeze unthickened epoxy in there - or go along with a squeege or putty kinfe and squeeze some lightly thickened epoxy in there but as far as strength goes, once all the glass is one there you wont have anything to worry about.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:37 am
by TomTom
Or run a small neat fillet along that seam - which will actually make the glass sit neater if you are sheathing upto the top.

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:37 am
by justin_dwyer
Sweet, Thanks TomTom. Still getting my head around the structural entegrity of things as I have never built a boat this big before, I have only ever built a small row boat. But going fishing 40-50 NM out to sea, I want to make sure she holds together. :lol:

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am
by TomTom
Don't worry - you will be amazed how strong it becomes once it is finished... your not even a fraction of the way to its final strength

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:33 pm
by Hope2float
Justin I will second Toms statement about over strength. My boat is like a Sherman tank. It is incredibly strong when all the structure ties in. I would definitely cover the whole boat with glass not for strength as much as abrasion and most importantly control of possible checking of the plywood. Even though epoxy is water proof if there is a tiny grain that is not sealed water will wick in. The panel will appear to be dark then the veneer will begin to lift or separate and Wa la you have checking.
The boat looks great and as always BUILD-ON!
Dave

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:42 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Dave and Tom, I will glass the whole sides inside and out and also the sole and deck will get glass.

Last night I sanded down all the chines to get ready for glassing, I made them as round as possible and as large a radius as possible so the glass sits flat, I will do any shaping with the spray chines later, does this about right?

I will finish the keel tonight, and I need to fillet the joint between upper and lower panels.

Any tricks for fibreglassing over this joint to avoid air bubbles?

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 am
by TomTom
Sounds good. Have a look at Joel's F17 build thread if you havent already - he is really efficient and informative http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=50... page 9 shows how he sorts out the chines later.

Seems like you pretty much have everything sorted.

I did the top side panel with a separate piece of cloth (I actually used a thinner woven cloth here - to avoid the checking issue - but not seeing the need for biaxial structurally). I was worried about the joint trapping air bubbles and thought this would be neater. A thin fillet of thickened epoxy (plus all the paint later) should mean you have no problems there.

If you get air bubbles you can just drill small holes and syringe in unthickened epoxy.

Best advise is use a good quality, low viscosity resin - I struggled here as some of ours is really thick and hard to work with.

I found that rollering a layer of resin on the wood, then adding the dry cloth (which doesnt slip on the wet epoxy), then squeeging more resin to be the easiest way.

Plan everything first.

Good luck

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:51 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Tom.

I am using West System epoxy which seams to be pretty good so far, although I have heard it blushes, so a bit of sanding needed between layups.

I checked out your boat last night, looks awesome. I love the wood around the shear. Nice work!!

Cheers

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am
by Cracker Larry
I am using West System epoxy which seams to be pretty good so far, although I have heard it blushes, so a bit of sanding needed between layups.
Justin, a word of advice. Sanding doesn't remove blush, in fact it will compound the problem by working the blush deeper into the finish. You should first wash it to remove the blush. Soap and water is good enough. If the wood is mostly raw I use denatured alcohol, acetone or lacquer thinner because they evaporate fast. If the surface is completely epoxy coated then I just use water. Always wash before you sand, so you don't force the blush deeper into the wood. Sanding is to rough up the surface to give a tooth for a mechanical bond, not to remove blush.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm
by Joe H
Hey Justin,
I used nothing but the west System, all I did was as Larry mentioned wash with water, warm water seemed to work best, but it only took a few minutes and dried fast, all that was needed.
I will finish the keel tonight, and I need to fillet the joint between upper and lower panels.
As Tom Tom mentioned, a small fillet (I did use thickened epoxy for this) and I knocked down the hard corner of the overlapping ply just a bit, not much at all.

She's looking great!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks heaps for the advice Cracker and Joe, I will make sure I follow your advice.

So far I haven't seen anything on the resin, from what I understand the blush looks like a white-ish layer on the resin, so far I haven't seen any(but I don't know what I am looking for either :help: ). Does the heat have anything to do with this, as it is about 30 - 35C (86 - 95F) here would that reduce blushing?

What is the result of not washing the blush off, does it mean the resin won't stick to it?

At this stage I will just wash it as a precaution anyway.

As always, thanks heaps for your help.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 pm
by Cracker Larry
You won't generally see it, it is a thin chemical layer. If you see it, you really have a lot of it. You can sometimes feel it as a waxy substance. The best course of action is to always assume that you have some and wash it. West System is probably the worst for blushing, but it is very good epoxy otherwise. The epoxy I use is advertised as no or low blushing, but I still clean it anyway. Too much work to risk a bad bond, clean it.
What is the result of not washing the blush off, does it mean the resin won't stick to it?
Yes, the next layer will not get a good bond. Not a good thing.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:59 pm
by justin_dwyer
Great, thanks for the reply Cracker. I will definately wash it. You are right, too much work to take short cuts and stuff it up.
:)
Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:17 am
by BarraMan
Justin, I have not seen (or felt :D ) any blush with the West System epoxy that I have been using. That said, however, I do sand and wash down between coats - just to be sure. I appear to have great bonding between layers.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:35 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

I have used both S3 and WEST on many projects and hands down WEST is the worst for blushing. Refinished my cedar strip canoe at one time and was mortified with the blush and to compound the problem I epoxied during a very humid late afternoon. By evening with falling temperature my hull turned transluscent white. I managed to get rid of it but swore never to use it any more. Granted it is a great product otherwise but with wasted time and effort - not on my boats. IMO, because of the mixing ratio and cost, S3 is by far better of the two.

To echo my fellow boat builders...wash (I use acetone), sand (80 grit) and clean. Spending an extra 30 minutes to mitigate disaster is the safe way to go.

Marc

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 pm
by dbcrx
I too have found West systems to be worse for blush and it's worse when cold. Blush is one of the advantages to using peel ply. If you're going to want to bond or laminate another layer after full cure you just peel it off and carry on. No cleaning, no sanding.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm
by justin_dwyer
Will Acetone degrade the epoxy, or once it is cured it is fine. Is it only when it hasn't cured that acetone will clean off epoxy :help:

Or does it evaporate so quick that it isn't an issue?

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 am
by dbcrx
No it's fine once cured.

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am
by Joe H
Justin, I have not seen (or felt ) any blush with the West System epoxy that I have been using. That said, however, I do sand and wash down between coats - just to be sure. I appear to have great bonding between layers.
I too used nothing but West System, I have never actually seen any blush either! I still washed her down though.

It must have something to do with the weather, I build my boat inside my garage and in the winter I would run my heater, dry heat ,maybe that cut down on the blush, I don’t know but I still would wash.

Justin, I did the same on my transom assembly, I have pictures around someplace to prove my error, I’ll be dropping her in the water in the spring so if mine falls apart we will both know! Ha. (I did use plenty of thickened epoxy.)

Joe H

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:01 pm
by justin_dwyer
I'll definitely be washing, then sanding, then cleaning. :D

Can't wait to see your boat in the water Joe, she looks great in the shed, but I'm betting she'll look even better planing across the water. And I doubt very much she'll fall apart :wink:

I'll get the hull ready for glass taping today.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:47 pm
by gk108
If you use the "wet on wet" method as much as possible you can avoid some cleaning. :wink:

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:38 pm
by justin_dwyer
Spent the weekend sanding and shaping the keel, chines and transom in readiness for taping the seams, just got a few holes to patch and then I am ready to tape. :D

I found that a Stanley Sure Form is pretty good for knocking back the corners, however the best tool I found for the job was a wood rasp (pic attached). I ripped the corners off and shaped them really quickly with the rasp, then cleaned them with a sander and 80 grit paper. worked really well :)

Made the bad mistake of working with only my boardies...man was I itching like crazy for a few days. Even though it is 35C I'll be fully covered from now on whenever I sand. :P

Here are some progress shots.

It started raining, so I didn't get any pics at the end, will post some more next time I have the covers off.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:54 am
by TomTom
Looks good Justin - I would save some energy for fairing and get on with glassing that thing!

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 am
by topwater
Looks good :!: I would go out and buy a 5 inch or 6 inch random orbit sander . That little jitterbug finnish sander
will take forever when you try to sand glass .

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:33 am
by justin_dwyer
Tom, I know what you mean, I am pretty keen to get the glassing done, but I am also trying to avoid some of that fairing you are talking about :lol:

A bigger sander you say...sounds like a good idea, that little one I have would take a million years I reckon. :)

I have spent the evening doing some fillets between the upper and lower panels, I made a terrible mistake that will cost me some time. I didn't go over the fillets with clean epoxy afterwards so there will be heaps of tiny bubbles under the glass. I remembered half way through, so one side is fine, I'll fix that mess on the other side tomorrow.

Even though I am making mistakes, I am enjoying the process and seeing the work getting cleaner as I go.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 pm
by peter-curacao
justin_dwyer wrote: A bigger sander you say...sounds like a good idea, that little one I have would take a million years I reckon. :)
Not necessarily bigger but a different kind of sander would be good, something like this.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:41 am
by BarraMan
Justin

This is my BEST friend!

Bosch PEX300AE Electric Random Orbital Sander - $80 at Bunnings

I pulled the dust collector off and connected it to a cheap wet/dry vacuum cleaner - so I most sand in a dust-free environment.

My sander has a bad-arse mate:

A Makita 100mm angle grinder - also about $80 at Bunnings!

With a flap sanding disc, this bad boy eats hard epoxy for breakfast! :lol:

You gotta be careful with it though cause it can do some damage if you let it!

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:56 am
by glossieblack
Hey Barraman, how close is your flip? Best wishes!

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 am
by BarraMan
glossieblack wrote:Hey Barraman, how close is your flip? Best wishes!
G'day Glossie

I had hoped to flip it when the boys are home at Xmas, but I have been dragging the change a bit.

Mrs BarraMan seems to think that I am on holidays to help her. She has me painting the lounge room in between boat building, among other things.

I am working on reverse chins and strakes - coming along nicely.

I'll nominate "by the end of January" for the flip!

Cheers

Lee

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 am
by glossieblack
Barraman, Looking forward to the flip pics. You did such a great job on the external glassing, I've no doubt the fairing and painting is as good. Aplogies for the thread hijack Justin. Go the Aussies in Perth! Cheers, Michael.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:47 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Michael, no sweat!
Nice little two piece you just built, I am considering a 3 piece for fishing the flats around Darwin, something I can leave in the back of the car with a rod and electric, so I always have a fishing rig with me.

Lee, I bought the same orbital from bunnings on the way home, will give it a go tomorrow. Need to finish prepping this hull so I can get it glassed.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 am
by justin_dwyer
Not much progress to report.

We have had a tropical monsoon hang around here for the best part of the last month, which means it has been non stop rain, which is awesome for the years fishing ahead as the floodplains fill and the fish breed up.

But the bad news is that everything is growing mould, including my boat. I was hoping to have it glassed by now, but fell just short and as a result I have the wood sitting in maximum humidity under some rain covers.

I had a quick peek today to assess the situation....and mould!!!

I'll have to get this wood fully dried out before I glass it, so hopefully in a week or so we will get a break from the rain (even though I want it to keep raining for the fishing sake) and I can sit it in the sun and wind for a while.

Here are some shots of some mould on the side:

Other than clean the mould off and dry it out as best as I can, does anyone have any experience with this and things I should look out for going forward.

I am basically ready to glass it now, just need a few days without rain.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:00 am
by jorgepease
Maybe keep a fan on it, I'v seen them do that on houses with carpet and drywall that starts to get mold

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm
by justin_dwyer
Well, we finally have some weather here that is suitable for boat building, after nearly two months of rainy conditions, I have a window for a few days and I am pretty keen to get some traction.

I am ready to fibreglass the hull and made a start.

I have never done any fibre glassing before this project, so it is all learning.

I am using the West System epoxy and have the application pumps. I measured several pumps of each resin and hardener to work out weights. 1 pump of each combined is 30g. I am using 450gsm cloth and tape, so I worked out that 60g (2 pumps of each) will wet out 85cm of tape at 50\50. So I cut all my tape lengths for the keel, chines and transom and divided the keel and chines into 85cm lengths.

I started at the transom and worked forward on the keel, mixing two pumps (I only mix small pots because it was 34°C here) and pouring it straight onto the cloth held in position, I worked it all through the tape with a roller until the glass was clear, then mixed another pot and repeated until I finished at the bow. Then I went back to the transom and worked forward again with the second piece overlapping the first piece.

I was really happy with the result yesterday when it was all wet, all the glass was clear and looked good.

However this morning when I checked the cure I am not sure, as I am not sure what I am looking for I am a bit concerned :help:

There seems to be lots of little holes in the glass (gaps between the weave), and were the glass edges overlap there seams to be some small air pockets.

How does it look to you guys? :doh:

Thanks for any comments.

I am really hoping I don't have to grind it all off and start again :(

This image shows where the 4 side panels meet at the bow. I had some problems getting the tape to conform to the bends here, so my solution was to cut the tape in the joint and it sort of worked. However looking at it this morning it has still got a big bubble in it which I am assuming I will have to grind away and re-tape. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:32 pm
by garym
Justin,

I think you will get a quicker qualified response if you post in the Resin, Fiberglass section of the website.

Take this with a huge grain of salt. I think your lamination is ok, but PLEASE get a second more qualified opinion.

Gary

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:10 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Gary,

I'll post in there and see what response I get.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys,

My plans have the fibreglass cloth coming about 6 inches past the chines (which is all that is needed for strength), however I want to glass the full sides to for help against checking and abrasion.

Should I overlap the seams of the cloth here or just have them butting against each other, my thought is to have them overlapping 5-6 inches?

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:00 am
by BarraMan
Do the full glass sides and overlap 6".

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:07 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Lee, that was my thought too. :)

What trailer are your putting your boat on. Are you buying one or are you going to build on. I guess we need to decide when planning strakes, etc. I was thinking of making a trailer.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm
by Joe H
He I Justin,
I used nothing but the West System,I'm not much of a glass guy but your taping looks fine by me except where the 4 come together, your not going to get it to lay down there, just grind it out and fill in with thickened epoxy,
I covered the complete hull and overlapped it a few inches on my P19.

Keep up the nice work.
Joe H

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm
by BarraMan
What trailer are your putting your boat on. Are you buying one or are you going to build on.
Justin, I am in the very fortunate position of not having to worry too much about cost (within reason!).

The BIG Barra Boat is going on one of these! Peterson trailers Saltwater Series.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:33 am
by justin_dwyer
That looks like a great trailer Lee, very nice! 8)
I've never done any fibreglassing before and decided to build a boat, so I figure I'll learn to weld as well and build a trailer (never done any of that either).

Thanks for commenting Joe, how is your build coming along?
I cleaned everything up and finished taping all the other seams yesterday. I am really happy with the job now.

I cleaned everything down with acetone and sanded all the rough edges off in readiness for glassing with the wide cloth (got a rain shower so couldn't get any photos of this).

I am fishing tomorrow, so will attempt to have this done by the end of the weekend, weather permitting.

Some pics of the progress so far.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 am
by willg
That's nice looking work there.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:16 am
by blueflood
Hi guys,

A reply from a question above. My HMD19 has also been given a layer of light 6oz on the sides even though not specified. I debated the transition between the 6oz and the 12oz over the chines. I reasoned that since overlapping at that point where there are no joints or anything of the main structure, I elected to simply butt them tight. For me overlapping only created more fairing over a long distance, both sides of the overlap and both sides of the boat. It is much easier and quicker (never mind minimizing unfair spots) to fair a section where two different cloth weights are butted against each other, especially if that transition is essentially for light abrasion protection and cosmetic reasons.

Of course after hitting something at the waterline, I will curse when I see a breach which could have been totally avoidable had I applied that extra 6oz overlap over the 12oz :lol:

Marc

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:05 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Will :wink:

Marc, i did consider that, but I think I'll overlap the two pieces, I think overlapping will add a bit more stiffness to the sides, and I think I'll be happy with all the strength I can get....plus I think I'll be up for a fair bit of fairing anyway, so a few more weeks shouldn't hurt :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 am
by peter-curacao
Looks good Justin very clean work 8)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:59 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Peter, how is your boat going? Enjoying it I bet :)

I was looking to glass the hull this weekend so I can get some traction on this build now that the weather has come good, however I hit a hurdle, I think I was sent the wrong fibreglass. I have posted a question under the "Resins, Fiberglass and Paint" section, titled "Biaxial Fibreglass ?". I ordered the 45/45 cloth, however they sent me 90/90 cloth, I am not sure if this is ok to use on the hull :help:

I was doing some final checks before I lock the hull shape in and I am happy with it, just wondering what you guys think as I have never done it before and not sure what can and can't be faired out (easily anyway).

Here are some pics of the glass after I cleaned and sanded ready for cloth.

These are some shots of what will be the port side of the hull. The hull is more or less flat until I get close to the chine, then is starts dipping towards the chine about 6-7inches from the chine edge. The largest gap is about 3mm (sorry about the metric units :wink: ). That steel bar in the pic is 217cm (7' 1")

These shots are along the keel.

These are some shots of what will be the starboard side of the hull. Again, the hull is more or less flat until it gets close to the chine, then is starts dipping towards the chine about 6-7inches from the chine edge. The largest gap is about 4mm.

I think some of these dips are because it has been so humid and wet for the last few months that the wood has relaxed and sagged ever so slightly. The hull is within 2mm of being flat from the transom to about 180cm (about 6') forward, then it starts to curve. Is this enough for the planning surface?

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:51 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Yeah...something will always bother me to not have overlapped that transition :lol: oh well too late now. Nice build and nice boat too. Always loved that design !!

April, 3 feet of snow still at build site and flipping as soon as I can get in...looks like in late July now :roll:

Marc

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 pm
by Joe H
Justin,
2 mm is pretty darn close, nothing a little fairing compound won't take care of!

Nice progress.

Joe H

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:19 pm
by peter-curacao
I wouldn't worry about it, build on 8)

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm
by justin_dwyer
Marc, It must be frustrating for you guys to have to wait for those kinds of conditions to pass. If it ever snows in Darwin, there will be something seriously wrong with the world :lol:

I was enjoying watching your build until you wrapped it up, can't wait to see you carry on with her.

Joe/Peter, thanks for your reassurance, I was happy with it, but I have never done any of this so not sure what fairing compound even looks like, how easy it is to sand, etc. I guess I'll find out soon.

I have no idea about fairing or the process or what to use, etc, once I get the glass on (just waiting for my order) then I will post the question. I looked in the tutorial section but I didn't find anything.

I don't know what to do after glassing.

Fill the weave, fairing, I am guessing these are the same thing?
what to use, how to apply, how to sand....all of these questions I will try and find answers to.

Has there been any good threads on this that you can think of?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:38 am
by garym
Have you seen this?
http://www.bateau2.com/howto/boat_in_box/fairing.php

Fairing = making smooth

You will want to smooth out the transition from multiple layers of glass tape on your chines and transom to a single layer of glass
on the rest of the hull and you will also want to fill the weave on the entire hull to create a smooth surface.

To do this with pure epoxy would be very costly, heavy and difficult to sand. Most will mix a combination of epoxy and fillers to create a slurry. The slurry can be adjusted thick or thin depending on the surface and the purpose of the application.

There's a lot more. I'm just finishing my boat and I think I know how I might approach it the next time. :doh:

How far you take the fairing process will depend on the level of finish you want. I don't believe it impacts the strength or longevity of the hull.

To get a feel for it you may want to play in a confined area such as the transom. Once you have a feel for the material you can tackle the rest of the boat.

Good luck.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Gary, I hadn't seen that. That makes it pretty clear.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Try not to be discouraged by the fairing part; It is a long but not difficult process to get her all bump and lump free :roll: emphasis on the "long". But once all the frustration is gone you get to appreciate the fair flowing curves. If I recall Shine had some great in-progress fairing photos and explanation on his builds. Gary explains it well too - the finish and fairness depends on what you can live with. Personally, Quick Fair from S3 is excellent.

Yes the build will take 3 years because of the seasons and the site at the cottage but I keep busy with designing the interior and planning. The most frustrating is not being able to work even on the small components (apartment living). I have a clear picture in my head of her finished but I cannot let it get me down in the meantime.

Marc

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the heads up Marc. I am actually keen to get into it, however I am just waiting for my glass cloth to arrive, and it will probably get here just as I head off on holiday for two weeks at the end of next week.

I hear what you are saying about the frustration, I guess we all want to be further along than we are. It will be a very happy day when you get to float your own boat :)

I am going to use the west system 410 micro light fillers to fair my hull, as I am using the west system resin. Not sure how this compares to other fairing compounds?

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 am
by peter-curacao
justin_dwyer wrote:
I am going to use the west system 410 micro light fillers to fair my hull, as I am using the west system resin. Not sure how this compares to other fairing compounds?

Cheers
Justin
Justin this West combo works great, I used it a lot after I finished almost all my quickfair on only the outside of my hull :?
To be honest, apart from mixing 3 components instead of 2 I didn't notice much difference, both sands great.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:59 am
by Joe H
Quik fair is great stuff no doubt but if you can’t get it or you don’t like the cost for cover and your using the west system already you should try 410 Microlight by west system, it’s a powder you mix with the resin to create a fairing compound, it seems to go much further then Quik Fair and you can mix it to any consistency that you may need, for instance you’ll what something a little thin for filling in the weaves and a little thicker for fairing a low spot, you can’t go wrong with either but with the P19 you’ll have the opportunity to try them both.

Keep posting.
Joe H

Edit:
Didn't notice the last couple of post, opps.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 am
by blueflood
Justin,

Joe is correct wrt Quick Fair and the other options. I simply wanted to use something purpose made and will not be using anything else now. You have to work fast though, the pot life is short....that may be good or bad depending. Sands easy, much better than the alternative but give it a try ! It is not a kit of the stuff which will break the bank.

Builders have different opinions about materials :lol:

Marc

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 am
by peter-curacao
blueflood wrote:Justin,

You have to work fast though, the pot life is short....that may be good or bad depending.
Marc
Don't keep it in a pot while working, spread it out over a square feet of ply or something, gives you much more time to work with it.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 am
by jacquesmm
Yes, Peter is correct. Pot life in the pot maybe only 10 minutes but once it is spread on the part you may have half an hour to work with.
And if you have to much putty in the pot, put it in the fridge.
It's nice to have an old fridge in the workshop/garage.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 pm
by remedy32
Another good filler is SM Fairing Compound from US Composites. Works well and price is very reasonable. That said I still use QFair for finish work.

Bill
FS17

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:20 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for all the advice guys...invaluable.

I know this might be a bit hard to answer, but roughly how much should I order. Would a 20L bag be enough?

I know it depends on how fair the boat is to start, what level of fairing I want to do, etc....but I really haven't a clue how much I would need.

Do you recall how much you used Joe (as you built the same boat)...and she is a fine looking vessel :)

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

With my HMD19, I used (if I recall) 1/2 of a gallon kit of QF on her hull. I had bought two kits originally and returned one after seeing how far this goes on. What I found Justin, is the hassle free application. Very little waste and always the same even predictable consistency. I did use some powder filler at the bow where the overlaps created a mess :lol: though but decided back then I wanted something specific and a two-step process and... much better sandability. The notched trowel application method works great as well.

I will surely use the powder mix again somewhere but not for fairing unless the hollows are really deep. Reading above thread wrt pot life; yes that is understood....I had a different batch apparantly. The two components were labeled the same 8O and the hardener was tan (purple now I think). Contacting S3 all was resolved; there was a formula change in the compound and I had an older type batch. I never had more than 15 minutes work time on the hull with a fresh application, mixing small batches, no more than 250 ml at the very most; it went a long way but set-up fast.

Marc

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for passing on your experience Marc, I'll have a play on the transom first and get some consistencies that I like for the various applications.

Darwin is always hot, so I will only be mixing small batches, maybe after I have the hang of it I can increase the batch size to get the boat covered a bit quicker.

I just got a call from the supplier saying my glass should arrive on Monday, so hopefully I can get the glass on next weekend before I go on leave for two weeks. :)

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:04 pm
by Joe H
Hello Justin,
I used two 5 oz containers of the 410, and still have a almost full container of the 3rd, I used it on everything that needed smoothing out, works great and not too much $$$$, plus you can mix it to any consistancy needed.

Joe H

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Joe, I'll order a couple to start with.
Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:22 am
by justin_dwyer
After holidays, work, life in general, I finally got this beast glassed!!

I was a bit anxious about it prior, however preparation was the key and all went smoothly. My wife and I enlisted the help of some friends and we got it completely glassed in 3 hours, doing the bottom and sides.

Need a little bit attention on the bow (heaps of bubbles that will need grinding) and I left a roller sitting on the hull near the transom, because it is so hot here in Darwin it kicked and stuck to the hull...doh!!! :doh: So that needs attention too.

But otherwise I am really happy with the result. :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 am
by BarraMan
Nice work Justin!

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 am
by willg
That really looks nice!

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:16 pm
by jorgepease
Nice Work!!

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am
by Noles309
Looks good from here!

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 am
by jacquesmm
That style line (side overlap) is difficult to fiberglass but you did it right. It looks good.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:19 pm
by antoniekruger
Yeah, mate, I agree with the fellas - looks very neat. The overlap is just right. Prep and the reward will come. 8)
How do you get your wife to help glass? You need to share this with the rest of us :D

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:06 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for all the compliments guys, appreciated.

I am no longer anxious about glassing after that, but it being my first time, I was beforehand.
I still have a few little areas that need a bit of touching up, filling bubbles, etc, but overall I am really happy with it.

Jacques, you are right, that overlap in the panels is a pain in the butt to glass, but we found a system that worked in the end. Roll the resin from the top down towards the join and then roll the resin up from the bottom towards the join which gave a slight bit of slack at the join, then the last thing we did was run the finger accross the joint to bed the glass in, that worked pretty well for the most part. In some spots I didn't get the fillet round enough and I have a few bubbles that need filling, but not a complete disaster.

Antonie, I was going to make wise cracks about threatening to not pay the credit card bill if she didn't help me, etc, but the truth is I don't need to press Maria (my wife) too hard, she is just as keen as I am to get some progress made. We have another open fishing boat, however we had a little fella about 8 months ago and being out in that boat in the sun is not appropriate anymore for the family at this stage, which is why we are building this boat with a cabin. She loves fishing just as much as me and is very keen to get this boat finished and get back out there.

I just need to stop fishing in the other boat and do some more on this one :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 am
by Joe H
Fine job Justin, really looking good, my wife helped with my build too, she claimed it was the only way she could spend some quaility time with me, plus she is looking forward to going out in a boat with a head on her! ha.
I just need to stop fishing in the other boat and do some more on this one.
That's always a nice problem to have.

I should receive my re-build kit for the Fuel pump on my motor today, weather permitting I'll get to see if that's the issue tonight.

Joe H

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:17 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Joe.
Joe H wrote:
I should receive my re-build kit for the Fuel pump on my motor today, weather permitting I'll get to see if that's the issue tonight.

Joe H
I really hope that you get your motor issue sorted soon, I can imagine how you must be feeling. Good luck!

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 pm
by blueflood
Hi Justin,
Great work :D ...and...I'm glad I am way past that stage :lol:

Marc

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Marc...and I have no doubt you are glad to see the back end of where I am now :lol:

I am heading down to the boat now to do a bit more glassing and touching up.

Then...fairing!! :help:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:45 am
by justin_dwyer
I had a piece of 12 oz left so I thought I would put it over the transom for an extra bit of support and protection from the motor. It wasn't quite big enough to cover the whole transom, but I thought I would put it on anyway.
I covered either side of this with 6 oz woven for protection.

I will probably kick myself for not going out and buying a piece big enough to cover the whole transom when it comes to fairing. Oh well, too late now :lol:

I was going over the hull to make sure I am happy with the laminations before fairing and found a troublesome spot, about two feet in front of the transom, it looks like the glass hasn't stuck to the hull. It is very hard to see, not even sure if a camera will pick it up, but it is about the size of a dinner plate. It looks like a very slight (only just visible) bubble. If I press on it, I can hear cracking which isn't good :help:

I need to grind it all off and then overlap a piece in there.
I was going to do the "Cracker" method of fairing and put a piece of cloth down to build up the gap here anyway.

My question is, when I grind this piece out, can I put a piece of 12 oz back in the hole without overlap, and then another piece overlapping all of this, or should that patch piece overlap the piece that is stuck to the hull now and then put another piece over this, not sure if there is any difference in structural integrity?

Hope that makes sense?

I'll post a picture tonight

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 am
by danieloldhouse
I'd fill the hole with epoxy and wooden flower, then cover all with a patch.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am
by AtTheBrink
I would grind out any troublesome spot. Get back to clean wood and use glass to fix it. You are putting done another layer between the overlaps at the keel and chine, that should fix it! Check the rest of the hull closely, make sure there are no other problem areas.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:29 pm
by justin_dwyer
Here are the troublesome spots I mentioned earlier.

Do you think it will be ok to grind this small bubble back, fill it with epoxy woodflour and then put a whole piece between the keel and transom overlaps (to build up for fairing)?

This one I will grind out back to wood, fill the hole with fibreglass cloth (with no overlap to existing cloth, so it is level) and then throw a piece over the whole planning area on this side to build up for fairing?

Can you guys see any problems with this approach?

Thanks in advance.

I have checked the hull thoroughly and these are the only two spots that haven't bonded properly, I am not sure why they haven't as I did it the same for the rest of the hull. By the time I got to that large section it must have been about 34°C, so not sure if the heat had something to do with it?
Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:49 pm
by Cracker Larry
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Larry, when you fill the low spot with glass to build up for fairing, do you use the same 12 oz you used for the hull, or can you just use a woven cloth?

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 pm
by Cracker Larry
I would, but it doesn't matter, you are not needing strength there, just bulk. Whatever you have is fine to fill the holes. I'd span the patch with biax though.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:13 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the advice, I'll use 12 oz biax for all these fixes just to make sure. :)

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 am
by justin_dwyer
I spent today making some rubrails.

I made them out of left scrap 6mm ply from the hull. They are 50mm (2 inches) wide and I will have 3 pieces laminated (there are only 2 in the pic).

I adjusted the front few pieces to try and remove some of the bow droop, looking at the pictures do you think this will be acceptable, when I flip the hull I will fill up the hull piece to match the top of the rubrail?

Not the best pictures :doh:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:59 pm
by jorgepease
looking good … have to get mine built too!

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys, what do most of you use for making a spray chine, would you laminate it from ply like a rubrail or use a single piece of pine, etc.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:43 pm
by topwater
I used straight grain cypress scarfed to length , rounded over top edge with a router. After mounting on the boat i put 12 oz glass
on them.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm
by Mikem59
Justin,

Thought I'd find your build and take a look, and, it is looking good! Although you're building a P19 as oppposed to my FS18, you and I are at similar stages. And, by the sounds of it, you're hard pressed to get consistent long runs at working on your build.

Also, I see with your recent post and with other builds, I've seen the PVC method for securing the rub rail. Curious, do you make cuts of the PVC pieces till you get the right fit? Just how "snug" of of fit?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:16 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Topwater, looks like you did a great job with yours, I like it :)
Could you explain what scarfing is, I am a first timer with no woodworing skills.
Thanks.

Hi Mike, thanks for the compliment.
Mikem59 wrote:And, by the sounds of it, you're hard pressed to get consistent long runs at working on your build.
Definately finding it hard to get good solid working time on the boat, by the time I get home from work and help my wife getting our little one fed, into bed, etc and then sorting ourselves out I am usually too tired to get into it. I get a bit don on the weekends, but there always a million things to do around the house aswell. I used to panic a bit about not getting things done, now I am just happy to get done what I can when I can :lol:
Mikem59 wrote:Also, I see with your recent post and with other builds, I've seen the PVC method for securing the rub rail. Curious, do you make cuts of the PVC pieces till you get the right fit? Just how "snug" of of fit?
I have a box full of cut PVC, I only have a couple of clamps, so I just clamp the sections of rubrail on at the start and end of the length to hold it, then I put PVC clamps every 20 - 30cm, the more the merrier. I just make sure there are no gaps, and I put lots closer together where there is a tight curve. I find that they are strong enough to hold everything in place, but you can't over clamp them so all the glue squeezes out.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:24 am
by pee wee
Mikem59 wrote:Justin,

Also, I see with your recent post and with other builds, I've seen the PVC method for securing the rub rail. Curious, do you make cuts of the PVC pieces till you get the right fit? Just how "snug" of of fit?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, depending on the diameter of the pvc pipe you choose and the thickness of the walls, the springiness or clamping pressure will be different. I've got a couple different sizes and use them as the jobs require. Also, when you cut the slices off the pipe keep in mind that a 2" wide section of pipe will clamp a lot tighter than a 3/4" section; the stuff is cheap so you can make plenty.

My apologies for the thread hijack, Justin.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:32 pm
by justin_dwyer
No problems at all Hank, the more info the better :D
....especially for me, cause I'm a first time hack :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am
by topwater
Justin to scarf a piece wood is just a method of making a long glue joint to join the wood together.
I used a 8" to 1" ratio to cut the angle . Sorry i dont think in metric . Just measure 8" from one end
and make a mark then take a ruler and from the mark to the opposite corner and draw a line. Do this to
both pieces and cut at that angle. You now have a 8" glue joint on a 2" piece of wood .
This is the only image i have gluing them up. If you look under the middle clamp you can see the glue joint.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 am
by selever
to scarf a piece wood is just a method of making a long glue joint to join the wood together.
Isn't that called splicing? I thought scarfing was simply cutting a piece of wood by the thickness of a saw blade. Just wondering.

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Topwater, that makes perfect sense. Cheers for the pic too. :)

I have just been out at the boat trying to sort out some issues from my hull glassing experience....and I think I have a bigger issue.

I thought the fibreglass had bubbled in a few areas (as in my previous posts). The small one I ground out and will fill no probs, however the larger one (shown in the picture below) appears not to be the fibreglass bubbling, but the wood itself :help:
If you look at the straight line drawn in pen running through the section I have circled in pen, you'll see the curve change.

After grinding out all the glass, this section is very soft, I fear that the wood has delaminated, maybe just the top lamination. Not sure how this would have happened :help:
When I press on this section of wood I can hear cracking, not good. Outside of the pen mark there is no problem.

Before I go too far I just want to get your opinions on what I should do (I'll also post this in the building section).
If it is just the top lamination I could keep cutting down til I get "hard" surface and then build it up with glass.
My thoughts at this stage is use a hole saw and cut a core of wood out to see what is going on with the wood, and then take it from there I guess.

If the wood in this section is bad, what should I do to fix the problem?

Here are some close ups of the section with and without applying pressure to the area.

Without Pressure:

Applying Pressure:

Feeling like 1 step forward, 2 steps back at the minute! :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 am
by topwater
Justin dont sweat it , Like Larry said there is nothing you cant fix on these boats with little epoxy.
Cut it out re core it and glass it , no big deal . Remember a good glue joint is stronger than the
wood around it . Build on :!:

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi topwater, things went down hill today. Looks like I'll need to remove a whole ply panel from the hull. :doh:

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 am
by topwater
I saw your post Justin , man that sucks . It really sucks because its all because of a crappy piece of ply .
Your work up to this point has been real nice , not your fault.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:31 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

How is your fix coming along?...while I was looking at my hull I was thinking about your fix and what is happening.

Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc, thanks for asking.

I have sent some samples back to the supplier and they are talking things over with their importer to come to an agreement on the quality of wood, etc. So hopefully this week we'll get an answer.

On top of that I have been away for work, about to go away on holiday for a friends wedding and my wife has just broken her ankle. So work around the house has been busy too (we have a 9 month old) :help:

So unfortunately not much building, but I have settled on the fix.
At the least I will cut the bottom panels out around the chine and transom and re-stitch and glue. However, if the boat supply company are prepared to replace all the wood and fibreglass, then I'll just start again.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:44 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Good news / bad news... Well at least you came to terms with it and moved ahead; If worst (or best) case is to restart, the process should be easy pie. What a monumental drag though, Justin - not so sure what I would have done :? Keep us posted !

Marc

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 am
by mindunderwater
Any word from the suppliers?

You might have to "gently" keep pressing for a response. Oh and we're all pulling for you... Good luck!

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 am
by antoniekruger
Mate, that SUCKS. :help: :help: :help:
Are you cutting out the whole sheet? What was the reason for the lift - bad ply, temperature....Man, I feel for you. What crap luck.
This does provide same opportunities, though. I'm sure your supplier will look after you with some care from now on. What is odd is that we name our suppliers when all is going well, but when things go upstream, we leave their names our. We should name the guys selling dodgy goods.
Just my opinion.
Good luck.
Antonie

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 pm
by Cracker Larry
What is odd is that we name our suppliers when all is going well, but when things go upstream, we leave their names our. We should name the guys selling dodgy goods.
That just shows some class 8) Give them the opportunity to make it right before slamming their reputation on the Internet. The supplier didn't make the plywood. Stuff happens.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 pm
by antoniekruger
Yeah, I hear you Larry..... "Stuff happens"...really? You'll let this slide with that? 8O 8O
I would expect a supplier selling wood to a man, building a boat by hand, to check every sheet in detail before selling it - that's class.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:18 pm
by Cracker Larry
I would also expect the man building the boat to check every sheet in detail before installing it :wink: But, yeah, I'd give them the opportunity to make it right before slamming them. Just me 8)

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm
by antoniekruger
Good point :D - but you know us newbies. Not always sure what to look for. I'm really curious to see how the supplier handles this. This is a tough lesson, indeed. So we learn.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:25 pm
by justin_dwyer
Cracker Larry wrote:I would also expect the man building the boat to check every sheet in detail before installing it But, yeah, I'd give them the opportunity to make it right before slamming them. Just me
I am with Larry, I am not above making mistakes myself, so I will always give someone the opportunity to rectify an issue first.

I have also learnt to check the quality of all my materials first, before installing.

It is annoying (and shitty luck) because I want some progress, and I am time poor, but they are all good lessons in the grand scheme of things.

We want to build (or renovate) a large yacht one day, so the more I can learn the better.

I'll get through this and press on....much the wiser :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:35 pm
by glossieblack
Well said Justin.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
There is a lot to be said for a reliable supplier. I've bought over 100 sheets of plywood from Bateau and never had a bad sheet, but I do check them. I have had some shipping damage, some order confusions, snafus and such here and there. All it takes is an email to Joel and he fixes whatever the problem is the next day. I don't post on the Internet that Bateau screwed up my order, I give them the opportunity, they fix it and we move on. It doesn't happen often, but it happens even with the best.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm
by Steven
Yeah. Hard to expect a supplier to hand inspect every piece of plywood they sell. Maybe would work for a small volume shop, but not really practical. Sometimes life just happens. And it would be hard to identify delaminated ply internally unless you cut into it.

I'd certainly not hold back if they don't make it right though, without you having to pitch a big fit. I don't have any tolerance for poor customer service. There's never a good enough excuse for that.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:35 pm
by BarraMan
In fairness to the supplier, below is a quote from their website.
We carry three grades of BS1088 plywood. The best of these (and the most expensive) is the Gaboon. It is usually sourced from Asian and Chinese mills, and we see weight variations sheet to sheet which suggest the interior veneers might not be gaboon. The sheet sizes are usually 2500mm x 1220mm. Construction looks good, it appears to comply with BS1088.
Next is the BS1088 Hardwood with AA faces. A heavy plywood, its construction is good and from what we have seen so far, good compliance with BS1088. Lastly is the Pink Hardwood with BB faces. They are stamped BS1088, but compliance is spotty. Many of the defects would not be of concern in marine construction, so even though it is probably not fully BS1088 compliant, it does have a proper A bond and it is an economical plywood which can do many of the needed jobs.
I am not having a go at Justin - just stating the facts. The wood that Justin bought is the cheapest available from that supplier, however, it is labelled "marine ply" and a quick read does appear to indicate that it is suitable for boat building. A 6 mm sheet is A$46, compared with A$96 for Gaboon and A$124 for Hoop pine.

I paid A$126/sheet for 6 mm Bruynzeel Hechthout Gaboon/okoume Marine Plywood from a different supplier. It is beautiful wood.

I hope that the supplier looks after Justin to sort out what is an unfortunate situation. However, for what its worth if it were me, I would upgrade the quality of wood for the bottom panels.

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 pm
by mindunderwater
I realize choice is probably limited... but "Asian"? Can't get much more geographically non-descriptive. "Appears to comply" "Compliance is spotty"?

I've re-written this 7 or 8 times - I am trying to stay very neutral here...

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 pm
by justin_dwyer
I have certainly learnt a lot about Ply Wood since starting this project, that's for sure.

I would definately shell out for better wood next time (and that is what I intend to do here), but at the the start I didn't have the understanding I have now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :lol:

For a small boat or canoe it isn't much of a concern, but for a planning hull it is important.

One of the reasons for building your own boat is to learn...well I am certainly doing that. :lol:

I ill come to an arrangement to get better wood for the hull as I move forward.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 am
by antoniekruger
OK, I get the small slip-ups, invoicing issues, delivery delays - I've had these with my suppliers as well. This product is fundamentally flawed and is already built into a boat.
Looking at the comments from the different continents, it is clear that there are expectation differences from suppliers. In my industry I'm held to a specification and so do I to my suppliers. If they do not have a recognised QA system in place that ensure that I get what I pay for, no deal. If products are not conformal, it is usually the indirect costs that bites (Time, rework, double loss on resource use ect.)
These guys are very lucky that they have Justin as a understanding client. Like I said, this creates an opportunity to strengthen the relationship with the supplier - maybe now they understand the need to check product before selling it. The accountability still lies with the supplier - doesn't matter who makes the boards. If they sell it, at a profit, they stand father for it.
Justin, sorry bud, we hijacked your thread. OK, I'm done, thanks.

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 am
by justin_dwyer
No worries Antonie, gives me something more interesting to read than these reports at work :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 am
by antoniekruger
justin_dwyer wrote:No worries Antonie, gives me something more interesting to read than these reports at work :lol:
Gees bud, it just dawned on me - I hope youre not working for these guys 8O

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Just checking up on your bateau and progress or resolution if any ? Every time I get discouraged with my limited available time, my head goes to Oz and your build. Hope things are going OK :D

Marc

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:51 am
by BarraMan
I think Justin is having time out to attend to some family stuff!

You know - that stuff that keeps getting in the way of boatbuilding. :)

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:10 am
by blueflood
:lol: hhmm, is there such a thing ?

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:12 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc,

Not much happening in the boat building world for me.

I am still waiting on a resolution from my supplier, he has assured me that everything will be ok and he will take care of me, however his importer is away on leave so needs to raise a case with them.

But like Lee (Barraman) says, I am currently on leave, I have been away for family functions, weddings, etc. I have also decided to change my career, so while I am on long service leave now I am doing some additional courses that will enable me to get work in my chosen field.

The course finishes next week and then I still have two weeks of leave and was hoping to build on then. Well actually I will be starting again.

I have decided that I will take the hull off, re-check all the jig and frames and start again. It is a pain, but the positive is that I get to fix all the things that I thought would be "good enough" because I didn't know any better.

At least now I will rebuild and know that everything is 100% ok. After all this is the most important part of the boat. If I break a rod holder I can make it back to buy a lost rod, if the hull splits up here there is a fair chance that will be curtains for me and my family.

Thanks for checking in.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:34 pm
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Sheeesh busy life, Justin 8O. All good though !! The second time around will be "fun" :lol: Good luck with your career change; never too late to do what you want...but work, any work, gets into the way of boat building :lol:

Marc

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:but work, any work, gets into the way of boat building
I think "life" gets in the way of boat building regardless of what it is :lol:
I am enjoying watching yours come together Marc, you make great progress in the short time you have before your winter sets in again.

My situation has finally been resolved here. A package of all new wood (and more than I ordered to start with) and new fibreglass arrived yesterday afternoon. He has also marked me down on the system so that anything I buy from them for this build I will get at trade prices to try and make up for the lost time. So I am happy that I gave them the opportunity to fix the issue.

I have 1 more month on my long service leave and will be starting that next weekend, I will be working on it full time for the month to try and make up for lost time and get ahead before our season changes here.

In the meantime I have been playing around with fairing compounds. I am glad I did because I would have wasted a heap on the boat. I definitely put waaaay more on that I needed to.

My wife has wanted a sewing table for ages and I needed to be building something, so I managed to get a heap of wood from a construction site that was in the bin, I was happy to repurpose it (my wife and I are all up for recycling building materials that would otherwise go to landfill).

I had to fill nail hole, chipped wood, the pieces I used for the top were pretty dented, I had to join pieces for the top, etc, but I think it turned out all right...considering the state of it when I started. It is 3m (9.8' ) long.

Makes me appreciate how much "fun" fairing a 19 foot boat will be, I will definitely make sure it is as true and flat as I can get it to start with.

Hopefully soon I will have some more boat pics and some good progress mate.

For now I am enjoying all of your builds.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:51 am
by BarraMan
Go Justin ! :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:12 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Yeah :D Good for you and good for the company as well for their outstanding effort and service. Yep, projects never end it seems but family stuff first (with a smile). Your build will most likely go twice as fast this time around and you now know your hull intimately :D

Glad everything worked out ! Time to get dirty.

Marc

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am
by Noles309
Right on Justin!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:47 am
by justin_dwyer
OK, here we go for P19 - Take 2!!

I have a month off for long service leave and will be working on the boat full time to try and make up for lost time, I'll post the progress as I go.

I have the little fella on quality control this time :wink:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:33 am
by Knottybuoyz
Great start Justin. :D

Nice to see you have a little 'Shop Minion' to keep you company! :lol:

Carry on....

Cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:07 am
by antoniekruger
Hi Justin, welcome back - good to see you at it again with the QA officer keeping an eye. :D I like the wife's table as well. Good distraction and practice.
Antonie

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin, hey good for you - finally to get back on it. At least you are all prepared, totally clued-in and nothing new !! Rev 2 will be a (big) piece of cake. Great to have help too (..."uhhh dad...measure twice and cut once"... :lol: )and your honey's table project to get you going !

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys, thanks for checking in :)
blueflood wrote:Rev 2 will be a (big) piece of cake
I am hungry too Marc, keen to get this piece down :wink:

Well today I swallowed the bitter pill and cut her up.

At 1.45pm she looked like this:

At 2.05pm she looked like this:

I don't recommend doing it to your boats as it is expensive, however it is a great way to see the structure of the boat. Here are some pics of some of the cross sections.

This is the keel near the transom:

This is the two side panels where they join the transom, you can see the glass three layers of glass from the two tape pieces and the cloth.

This one is the fillet and the glass in the mid section of the side, you can also see the glue holding the two side panels together:

Just before I came in tonight, I walked past the hull on the grass and saw another delamination, I put my finger straight through it. Now I am really glad I have decided to start again. The new wood I have looks sooooo much better and each sheet is stamped with a marine ply stamp, not sure what that other crap was.

I have spent the arvo checking and triple checking the jig and fixed a few things I wasn't happy with the first time (and realised when I was too far down the line), I have hung the new transom (the first one I wasn't sure I used enough glue and I didn't prime them first....first time builder mistake) this new one won't fall apart in a hurry.

I have all the long panels done and will hopefully have them all stitched and started gluing tomorrow....fingers crossed.

Definitely feel a lot more confident the second time. :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am
by justin_dwyer
I forgot how annoying it can be trying to get all the panels to line up, be fair and have no hook in the keel. :doh:
I definitely pushed that to the back corner of my mind!

I still haven't finished lining them all up...I was hoping to have them stitched AND glued today....oh well, progress is progress I suppose.

Hopefully tomorrow I can finish that task.
I am keen to get back to the point before I cut up P19 rev 1, and then get some fairing and hopefully painting done before I finish my leave in 3 weeks...might be a tough ask for such a big boat and a first time builder. The plans say the hull can be built in 80 hours....Hmmmm.

Still, happy to be building again.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am
by Cracker Larry
Man, I know that hurts, but you did the right thing. That was some crappy plywood for sure! I've seen a few boats cut up because of crappy wood but this is the first time I've seen one cut up before it was finished :lol:

Take your time, get it right. Nobody is going to build that hull in 80 hours .

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:13 pm
by Joe H
Nobody is going to build that hull in 80 hours
I agree.

One thing the cut up show’s is how nice of a job you did on the lamination! :)

Nice choice on the start over.

You'll be so happy with the performance of P19, I know i am.

Joe H

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:48 pm
by Noles309
Way to knock it out J 8)

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 am
by justin_dwyer
Been ticking along slowly, you always want (and think you can get) more done. I am happy I have had the chance to fix a few things up on this one.

I played with the jig a little and think I have a much better shape, last time I had a few gaps around the frames, etc, this time I have them all about perfect. I used about half the cable ties and screws I used last time too. There is still a small hook (about 1/5 inch) that I will prop up when I glass.

It also gave me a chance to remodel the bow and when I cut the new side panels I allowed for the bow droop, hopefully most of it is gone now. My wife (Maria) helped me with the long panels and I am glad they are dealt with.....unwieldy things they are :lol:

So now I have it all glued and most of it sanded, just a few small holes to patch and then I will start glassing, but not tomorrow, I am off fishing to chase barramundi and mud crabs.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 am
by Cracker Larry
Wow, you and Maria work fast! That looks great.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:01 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the compliment Cracker, that is something coming from you :wink:
I am in the middle of a month off, so I am trying to get as much done as possible before I go back to work and the rain start here.

I am hoping to be close to painting in the next two weeks, might be a tough ask for a first timer (well second timer up to this point :lol: ), but I'll keep pushing to get there.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 pm
by Joe H
Hi Justin,
Man you whipped that out pretty fast, definitely less bow droop, looking forward to seeing some paint on her but take your time and enjoy your build and the fishing!

Joe H

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:15 pm
by Noles309
You are rocking Justin. 8)

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:11 pm
by Walkers Run
I just saw you are back at it. Good for you! glad to see you back. Boat looks great!

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:53 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

WOW !! What progress 8) The other one never existed - just a long gone bad nightmare. You did an awful lot in that short time frame, good to see and having your honey participating is that much more fun I bet. Keep at it Justin; flip time is not too far away.

Marc

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:26 am
by jorgepease
You'll have her done in no time at this rate!!

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:04 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for all your comments guys, always good for motivation.
blueflood wrote: good to see and having your honey participating is that much more fun I bet.
Definitely good to have Maria give a helping hand, although it hard for her to find the time as we have a 1 year old. But she enjoys the time working on it too.

My fishing buddy bailed on me at the last minute, so I decided to tape the boat up. It is 1.30am here and I have just come inside, the light is rubbish for photos so I will post some tomorrow.

I'll prep the boat for doing the big glassing on Sunday. I am working like a man possessed to get back to at least the stage I was at before, then I'll be able to relax and will seem like I just woke from a nightmare :lol:

The stage I was at when i discovered the issue with the wood took me a year to reach that point, I will be at the same point come Sunday (hopefully) and it will have taken me 3 weeks. Amazing how much time I took to research, procrastinate, stress a bit, etc. soon I'll slow down as I reach that point again.

Definitely not nervous about fibreglassing anymore.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 pm
by justin_dwyer
Having a look in the fresh light of day I am really happy, so much better than the last time. Only 1 small bubble to deal with that won't be too hard at all.

Overall I am a lot more confident with this hull, I see now why they recommend you build a smaller boat first. In a way it has been a good thing starting again, I am really happy with the hull so far.

Now I need to get busy with the sander to get ready for cloth on Sunday.

Tomorrow is a day off for food, beers and the Australian Football Grand Final :D

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:41 pm
by jorgepease
There are so many things I would have changed with hindsight, that opportunity was forced on you :D and now you will have a better boat! Nice Tape Job!

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 am
by topwater
Nice tape job :!:

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:10 am
by BarraMan
Looking good Justin!

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks guys.

I have now put the dodgy wood experience all behind me. We have now got a much better boat and back at the stage when I found the bubbles in the hull :D

So now I am charting new territory again.

I have gone pretty hard to get to this point, so now I can slow down and enjoy some time with the family, and build at a slower (hobby) rate.

I feel much better that I am back to where I was.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:43 am
by Noles309
You are a on a mission. Impressive.

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 am
by Cracker Larry
Practice makes perfect and that glass job is pretty dang close to perfect :D

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:02 am
by jorgepease
Yep, that looks great!

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:53 pm
by antoniekruger
I'm in agreement - very neat glass work. Looks great. 8)

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm
by BarraMan
Way to go Justin!

A couple more boats and you will have this boat building business nailed! :lol:

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:34 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks guys, definitely less stressful the second time round!

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:25 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

The other boat ?...what other boat ? :lol: Great job in that anount of time. Always liked the P19 !
Build on !

Marc

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:37 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Marc,

Been building like a man possessed :lol:

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:25 am
by glossieblack
Hi Justin, I really admire how you've worked through your setback. 8) And the boat's looking great. :D

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:08 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks glossieblack, I figure the best way to move on is to move forward :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 am
by justin_dwyer
Getting reading to fair!!....and lose a few kilos :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 am
by wegcagle
Great job on the fiberglassing. That's really clean work...Not to mention you are on fire with the new build. 8)

Will

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:32 pm
by BarraMan
Yeah, I think Justin's build thread should be held up as a shining light of how to bounce back from a MAJOR setback.

That boat looks great!

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 am
by Marshall Moser
:D I second that! Great work Justin.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:01 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Man...like a champ :lol: Looking forward to see your progress ! Very clean work 8)

Marc

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 am
by terrulian
An inspiration to every one of us when we face some unforeseen reversal, in boat building or life. Great work, as well.

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:10 am
by pee wee
That looks great. It's also an example of how much better you can do on the second boat. Builders have commented that the most critical glass work - the hull- comes first in the build, before you get practice. I doubt you feel thankful you've had to do it twice, but it is probably a better boat for it. :)

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks heaps for all your positive comments, I certainly wouldn't be where I am without the support I have from this forum.

I have been building away, trying to get some fixtures onto the hull.

I have the rub rail on, more work than one would assume, however I am happy with the result. I need to do a little bit of sanding and cleaning up, but otherwise I am happy. I made some temporary hangers for the rub rail so I could get them all glued in a hurry as it is really heating up here now (35°C) and then I went around and positioned them and clamped them in place, this saved the need for filling screw or dowel holes. It worked really well.

I have the spray rails cut and will attach them soon.

I have also been playing with the strake positions. I would like them centred, however this is getting close to the outside stringer and is where I would like the bunk of the trailer for maximum support. Do you guys think the strake would be best centred, closer to the keel or the chine. Does it really matter where the bunk goes, will there be plenty of strength here regardless. Jacques said to put the bunk along the stringer, so I should probably adhere to his advice and position the strake accordingly. Once I have the position worked out I will taper the front edge of the strakes.

Back at work now after a month off, I am really happy with the progress and that I have moved pass where I was before. It will start raining here soon, but at least the hull is waterproof now :)

I am considering flipping the hull, putting stringers and frames in and then flipping back to fair, so the that hull shape will not move and I can also glass the top of the transom, cut drain holes, etc before fairing and painting.
What do you think about this, is it a good idea? I know the hull will be a lot heavier when I flip it back, but I can round up a large crowd to help.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:00 am
by BarraMan
I am considering flipping the hull, putting stringers and frames in and then flipping back to fair, so the that hull shape will not move and I can also glass the top of the transom, cut drain holes, etc before fairing and painting.
What do you think about this, is it a good idea?
That's what I would do, Justin - and have done with my build.

And as for your other thread - put the bunks under your stringers.

The boat looks great!

Cheers

Lee

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:12 am
by justin_dwyer
Yeah, I was looking at your flip Lee, I might try the same thing. I have about 30 2 x 6inch beams all about 3-4m long, I might build my own A-frames and rig up some kind of winch setup. That way I can flip and waterproof the inside before it starts raining and everything gets mouldy here.

My stringer is just to the chine of centre, so I will have to move the strake either side of central, so I will probably move it closer to the chine, this way it will deflect some of the spray before it makes it to the spray rail.

It won't look that good upside down I don't think, but it will either be on the trailer or in the water so I am not that fussed.

How is the barra beast coming along, post up some pics :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:17 pm
by Joe H
Hey Justin,
I agree with BarraMan, I wish I would have flipped my P19, cut all the holes, ext, but all worked out in the end, it just would have made life easier.

Nice progress!

Joe H

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Joe,

I am just working on some lifting devices at the moment and then I will flip the boat. I am going to glue the spray rail on this weekend and then I will flip.

I will sort out the strakes down the line when I flip it back for painting, I'll have the trailer sorted by then and will know where to position them.

Now I am keen to flip and get the inside glassed and stringers and frames in before the monsoon hits Darwin and rains for about 3 months. 8O

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:35 pm
by justin_dwyer
Been working away slowly here, got the strakes and spray chines on.
Those strakes were a lot of work for two bits of wood!! But I am happy with the results.

I built a jig for my skill saw to cut the 45s :lol:

I still have plenty of cleaning up to do on the bottom, sanding, etc, however it is all waterproof so I am going to flip it and start on the inside, get this all waterproofed. One of the things that happened last year with the old hull is that I got heaps of mould on the inside when the monsoon hit here and it rained for months, so I want to get the wood inside covered up.

The flip will happen this weekend, I have a heap of buddies coming over on Sunday for a "flip party".

The boat is almost boxed up, I will finish that in the next day or so. I was going to flip it where it sits using a small engine hoist (as Cracker Larry and BarraMan have done), however it will hit the roof when it is on it's side and to get it out into open space I would need to carry it as wheels won't roll across the grass, so I thought it would be easier to just manually roll it over.

I'll post the results of this when it happens.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:28 pm
by BarraMan
Justin

Flip it over then roll a coat of epoxy on the inside and you should be good to go for the big wet!

Looking good!

Cheers

Lee

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:13 am
by Cracker Larry
That looks great 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 am
by terrulian
That is some amazingly clean work. If you want to feel really good about yourself I'll post some pictures from my build for comparison :lol:.

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 am
by justin_dwyer
terrulian wrote:That is some amazingly clean work. If you want to feel really good about yourself I'll post some pictures from my build for comparison :lol:.
Just good at image selection, for every "good" area I take pics of, there are another 10 "bad" areas :lol:

But I appreciate the comments.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:08 pm
by jorgepease
Boat is looking perfect!

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:46 am
by justin_dwyer
Boat flip is happening tomorrow, hopefully it won't be "boat build # 3" by the end of the day.

I am not sure how much these hulls can take at this stage so I am sure I have way over engineered my flip jig, but I am confident it will take all the force and not the boat. Looking at JoeH's jig, it is about 20 times larger, and he built a beautiful boat :lol:

I'll post pictures and maybe a video if I can get one sorted.

Stand By!

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:57 am
by Cracker Larry
That should work just fine 8)

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:14 pm
by Fuzz
That cradle looks like it will work just fine. When it is up in the air you will be very happy you over built it :D I have rolled hulls as big as 36 foot with a cradle just like that. The only thing I did different was to bolt it together. Did not trust nails or screws. :doh: Only time I ever had a problem was when I used some cheap rigging.
Nice to see someone suffer a set back and shrug it off and keep going. All the best with your build.
Fuzz

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:41 pm
by justin_dwyer
With the help of some good friends we managed to flip her over without a hitch.

Here it is in pictures :D

My battery for my drill was lasting about 2 screws, so I made sure I don't need to charge it up for another 3 months :lol:

What is the best way to "sure" up the hull now so I can crawl around inside it fibreglassing. I am 105kg and really don't want to put my foot through the hull and go for build # 3 :doh:

I will probably just try to recreate the frames from the outside this time?
I was going to just run some bunks along the length and some supports at the nose, but I don't think the strength is in the hull yet, I need more?

What do you guys suggest. :help:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:12 am
by BarraMan
Ok Justin, what rhymes with "boat"?

That would be "beer", "BBQ" and "beef"!

You need all of them and that crew that helped with the roll-over. Get them back for a BBQ and before you feed them and fill them with beer, get them to lift the boat off the strong back so that you can fit a plank under the keel. Get your guests to lift the boat back onto the strong back and then fit a couple of runners either side to stabilise the hull, a'la a boat trailer - and you are good to go.

:D

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:15 am
by peter-curacao
Justin congrats on the flip 8) are you gonne flip her back for finishing?

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 am
by topwater
Congrats on the flip 8) I love your semi portable drill design , you can drill holes and workout at the same time .

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:34 am
by Cracker Larry
Great flip :!: It's good to have friends, looks like an entire rugby team 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:01 pm
by Fuzz
Great flip! It must be nice to have enough mates to do it that way. I think I saw at least 12 people for the flip team. Now all you need to do is a little finsh up. :lol:
Fuzz

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:35 pm
by blueflood
Hi Justin !

Yeah, my man :D Flipped and ready for the fun part - well almost. Seems you have the whole year to work on her; before you know it, splash time !

Marc

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:50 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks guys, certainly had a good crew there. One thing about building your own boat is that most people are pretty keen to see what it is all about, so rustling up a crew doesn't seem that hard....we'll see how easy it is to get them back for flip 2 and 3 :lol:
BarraMan wrote:That would be "beer", "BBQ" and "beef"!

You need all of them and that crew that helped with the roll-over. Get them back for a BBQ and before you feed them and fill them with beer, get them to lift the boat off the strong back so that you can fit a plank under the keel. Get your guests to lift the boat back onto the strong back and then fit a couple of runners either side to stabilise the hull, a'la a boat trailer - and you are good to go.
There was certainly lots of beer, BBQing and Beef Lee, and swimming in the pool, getting pretty hot here now.

I have a keel board on there for most of it, a bit hard to see in some pics, I also have some small bunks just to hold it upright. So If I add a bit more to the keel board so it's full length and upgrade those bunks to full length I should be good to get in there?

I will probably put a board down inside just to spread the load a bit til I get some structure glued inside.

Here is the keel board:

Here you can see the bunks:

peter-curacao wrote:Justin congrats on the flip are you gonne flip her back for finishing?
Thanks Pete, yep I'll have two more flips. Flip 2 will a flip back to finish the bottom once I have stringers, etc in. Then I'll put it on hold for a while as I build a trailer. Flip 3 will be flipping back onto the trailer to finish.
topwater wrote:Congrats on the flip I love your semi portable drill design , you can drill holes and workout at the same time .
You wouldn't want to be using this set up if you were a roof carpenter :lol:
Cracker Larry wrote:Great flip It's good to have friends, looks like an entire rugby team
Not a rugby team Cracker, just a bunch of alcoholics. I brew my own beer, so I had eskies full with unlimited beer!
Fuzz wrote:Now all you need to do is a little finsh up.
Ah, I wish!! :lol:
blueflood wrote:Flipped and ready for the fun part - well almost. Seems you have the whole year to work on her; before you know it, splash time !
Thanks Marc, can't wait to get into the fitting out point :lol: . I am frantically trying to get the inside glassed, then she'll be basically wrapped up for 3 months while we have our monsoon season and it rains for 3 months.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:48 pm
by BarraMan
Here's how my boat is set up on the strongback. My strongback is 110 mm wide and the boat is 2040 mm wide across the transom from chine to chine.

I also fitted a bow support to stabilise the front end. Got it all square and level - good to go!

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 pm
by justin_dwyer
That looks great Lee, Cheers. That is what I had in mind. Except I don't have carpet on my keel board.

How did you go crawling around in there, you had two layers of glass on the outside, so probably a bit stronger than I have. I'll still put a board in to spread the load.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:02 am
by BarraMan
How did you go crawling around in there, you had two layers of glass on the outside, so probably a bit stronger than I have.
Shouldn't be a problem - I assume that you triple taped the keel as well as glassed the hull with cloth.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:08 am
by justin_dwyer
BarraMan wrote: I assume that you triple taped the keel as well as glassed the hull with cloth.
My lamination was 2 x tape on the keel and overlapping cloth (so 4 on the keel). The inside gets 3 on the keel and cloth overlapping.

I'll tread carefully to start with :wink:

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:16 am
by BarraMan
4 x layers of glass - its not going anywhere!

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:18 am
by justin_dwyer
:D

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:09 pm
by Joe H
I go north for a couple of days of deer hunting and come back to your boat flip!

Very nice Justin and it looks like you had fun flipping her, looking good!

Joe H

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:15 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Joe, it was fun :D

How'd you go on the hunt, get any deer?

I'm off fishing in about 15 minutes, got hungry mouths to feed at home :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:19 pm
by Joe H
How'd you go on the hunt, get any deer?
Yes I did, a nice white tailed Doe! Meat in the fridge!

Joe H

Good luck fishing.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
I go north for a couple of days of deer hunting...
Dang Joe, you go even further north than you already are to deer hunt 8O You got to drill a hole in the ice to fish, I can't even imagine hunting in that cold. Yall folks are crazy. I shot a nice little doe last week for Capeman, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt :D

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:14 pm
by Joe H
I go north for a couple of days of deer hunting...

Dang Joe, you go even further north than you already are to deer hunt You got to drill a hole in the ice to fish, I can't even imagine hunting in that cold. Yall folks are crazy. I shot a nice little doe last week for Capeman, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt
And snow, don't forget the snow.............hang on to that 5 acre's for me will ya.

Catch anything Justin?

Joe H

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:29 pm
by justin_dwyer
I'm with Cracker, if I can't wear shorts and a singlet all year round, it's too cold for me, that's why I live in the tropics....I do love snow boarding though :lol:
Joe H wrote:Catch anything Justin?
Joe, I got my bag limit of snapper in 1 hour :D

That should keep the wolves from the door for a few days :wink:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:21 pm
by wildbill
Justin, what species of snapper are those ? they look similar to our lane snapper here in Florida minus a spot near the tail.

Cheers'

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:42 pm
by BarraMan

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:22 pm
by justin_dwyer
Spot on Lee, they are also called finger mark snapper (because of the black dot).

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am
by BarraMan
One of the best eating fish in the sea!

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:37 am
by justin_dwyer
BarraMan wrote:One of the best eating fish in the sea!
Not going to argue with that :D

Heading out tomorrow morning to get a couple more, and hopefully a Jew fish so I can get some fillets in the freezer. We eat too much fish so it's hard to keep up, not a bad excuse to keep going out on the water though :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:27 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin, how is your build coming along ?

Marc

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:56 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc,

After my big effort to rebuild the boat, I have been finding time a bit hard to come by, busy end to the year, then Christmas, etc and now the monsoon is here, so it is raining heaps.

I have been doing bits and pieces here when I can dodge the rain, but it is a real pain uncovering the boat, then having to cover it up again when rain comes. I can't guarantee that we will not have rain on any day, so it is a bit painful.

I have the boat all levelled and braced from underneath. I have taken all the stringers and frames out so the hull is empty and I have just started doing the seam laminations on the inside. I have the transom taped and all the glass is cut for the chines and keel.

I'll take a few pics and post them up.

Looks like the weather might ease off next week as the monsoon breaks down for a while, so I might get a bit more done next week.

Thanks for checking in though, I love the model of your boat. :D

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

I feel your frustration; being at the weather's mercy. Keep at it :D
Marc

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:27 am
by Wazza
Hi Justin,

Very long time no speak.

Your big Sister told me about your build, and as I have been lurking on this forum for a little while it wasn't too hard to track it down. Congrats on the baby. Apparently she told you I have a few more than just the one child.

Boat is looking great, has there been any more progress or has life got in the way?

Cheers
Warren

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:16 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi Warren,

Thanks mate, the little fella is great fun, Robyn told me you are creating your own village ;)

About to get back into the build, I've had some time off (about 3 months) to renovate a place, but that is now tenanted so I have my weekends back so I am keen to get some more traction.

Are you looking to make a start on a boat?
If so, which one?

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:50 am
by Wazza
Hi Justin,

I am looking at a build but am still deciding. It won't happen for at least a year, we have just undertaken a massive extension and while construction is pretty much over, there is still a lot to do to the old place. I need to move walls, build new bathroom etc, not to mention finish painting and putting floors down in the extension.

As for my boat, I do have a specific wish list, just don't know if it will happen. Do a search on Leisurecat Stormcat. That is my perfect boat. Enough deck at the back for fishing, a nice area at the front for sitting/table for river cruises on the Swan, and a head so the ladies are happy to do the river cruise on the swan.

Unless I win lotto Leisurecat is not going to happen. I'm trying to work out if I could do something along those lines with a DE 23 or 25, A GS 28 would probably be a better fit but not sure if I want to go that big. Am also concerned about fuel bills. Also not sure how those boats would go in the seas off Perth (I'm sure you remember the ocean off Perth), nearly every deep water boat of Perth has a deeper V.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Warren

p.s. What cabin/console are you going to do for yours?

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 am
by Wazza
Also Justin,

Some nice fish posted by you, so thought I'd share this beauty.

Cheers
Warren

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:33 am
by jacquesmm
Nice lobster!

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:07 am
by Wazza
jacquesmm wrote:Nice lobster!
Thanks Jacques. There were 6 others almost as big that morning, we had a great season. This one was caught in 15m of water only about 100m off the coast.

As for my boat question above, when I'm ready I'll ask it in the other forum as I don't want to hijack Justin's build thread here.

Justin, I got your email address from Robin, I'll email you separately,

Looking forward to seeing some progress shots (no pressure :wink: )

Cheers
Wazza

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hey Warren, nice crayfish mate!!

Haha, all good mate, hijack away ;) .....but I think Jacques will give you a much better answer than me.

Had a barra comp on the weekend, managed to get a couple of nice fish!

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:37 am
by Wazza
Nice!!!

Is that 67cm? Did you get a weight?

I've not caught a barra in years.

Cheers
Warren

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:11 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

A lot of fishing :D but what's happening with your P19 8O :lol:

Marc

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:47 pm
by justin_dwyer
Wazza wrote:Is that 67cm? Did you get a weight?
Yep, 67cm. Don't bother weighing them, probably 5-6 kg (maybe more).
blueflood wrote:A lot of fishing but what's happening with your P19
The weather has turned here so I should start to get some progress going again, been way too long :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice fish and cool looking place. I love river swamps.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi guys,

I'm back at it :D

No photos yet sorry, I know a post without photos is a bit boring :doh:

So here is a non-boat building photo, from a recent heli-fishing trip I did :P

I have taped up the transom, the keel and one chine, got one more chine to go. Just been chipping away after hours once the family is in bed.

I'll take some photos of this work once I have cleaned up a bit.

I am looking forward to doing the cloth on the inside and was trying to figure out how I can do it wet on wet.
Has anyone managed to do this?
I can't see how I can do it without walking over wet glass (which I won't do).

So at this stage I think I'll do one side, let it cure, sand it back and then do the other side.

But I'll do it wet on wet if I can find a solution.

Also my wife is pregnant again, so I will have to build like a mad man again for the next 6 months while the weather is good, then it will slow down again and I'll be too tired to do late nights :lol:

Cheers for now.
Justin.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice fish, nice looking place too. I'd like to hear more about that helicopter 8) 8)

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 pm
by justin_dwyer
Cracker Larry wrote:Nice fish, nice looking place too. I'd like to hear more about that helicopter 8) 8)
Helicopter fishing is the way to go CL, maybe we can work on Jacques to design one of these for us to build :lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:07 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Too cool !! Great that you are back at it...finally :lol:
Heli-fishing ? I heard of heli-skiing but not fishing. Sounds like a blast. That is a Robinson R44 helicopter, very popular piston engined (vice turbine) machine mostly used for training or light commercial work. Helicopter pilot was my true calling but I took a different road and went into navy ship design instead :roll: They are fascinating machines to fly. Feet, hands, eyes, brain collectively working together being ever so light on control inputs. Nothing compares to that and throw in hovering, quick stops and autorotations..WOW rush.

FYI, kind of the same issue as you for inside hull cloth application. It was way simpler and less messy to do it in sections, all overlapped by at least 6". I think there are 3 or 4 in mine (those would be port to starboard sections). Doing the inside bottom was the most problematic, the dirtiest and the least enjoyable. Even with a shallow dead rise angle there was no way to avoid slipping towards the keel :lol: Add to that the heavy biax cloth and it's fun time. Pre epoxy, light sand, clean then apply cloth. My 2 cents.

Congrats on your growing family :D

Marc

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 am
by justin_dwyer
Sounds like you know your chopper Marc. I don't know much about them, other than to say it was definitely cool fishing from it. So good to be able fly around, low, looking for fish and being able to fish areas inaccessible by boat or car. It was definitely a mobile chopper, they use them a lot here for mustering cattle.

I think I'll glass the hull in two parts, the port side, and then the starboard side and try not to slip all over the place :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am
by blueflood
Go for it Justin. I ended up using rubber knee pads to avoid slipping when on all fours :D

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:16 am
by Cracker Larry
I tried to learn to fly helicopters, don't have the aptitude, or co-ordination, or something. You've got to be able to juggle 3 object while standing on a beach ball. I crashed the simulator so many times that I gave it up, or they gave up on me :lol: I can fly about anything with fixed wings, but I don't mess with rotor crafts. I'd kill myself for sure.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:25 am
by blueflood
Yes apparently females do much better than males because they tend to be gentler on the controls as we are somewhat aggresive. They say you have to think about your maneuvers instead of actually directing the helicopter to do what you want it to do. They are that sensitive.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:08 am
by selever
That's funny, I was thinking R22. I have a lot of trouble telling R22, R44, and now R66.

I specialized in making sure the rotor(s) are well behaved (e.g. not being ripped apart mid-air by destructive interference), but I have never been in a rotorcraft. Most of the people who design them have never been up in one, which I've always argued is a bit daft.

I assume the fishing takes place on the ground and the helicopter is what gets you there?

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:07 pm
by justin_dwyer
Selever, that is correct :D

You can fly into areas inaccessible otherwise. We were sighting barra (and other species) from the chopper, then landing and walking to where we saw them. I can see now why Eagles and other birds are such good hunters, fish really stand out from above.

It is a very expensive way to fish though :help:

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:59 pm
by Cracker Larry
My Dad and I used to do that in his J3 Piper when I was a kid. We'd fly the beach fronts until he saw some fish, land on the beach and catch them. Not quite as cool as a Robinson, but pretty cool to a kid in the 1950s.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 pm
by justin_dwyer
That would be a very impressionable thing to do as a kid Larry, it would certainly set you up for a life of adventure I would think? :D

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:06 pm
by justin_dwyer
OK, I knew I couldn't come back to this forum without some boat building pics, so here they are.

They are crappy late night pics from the iPhone with poor light, sorry about that, I'll get cleaned up in there and take same better ones.

I have triple taped the keel and double taped the chines and transom, and I didn't hear anymore "cracking" thank god. I feel more and more confident with every tape I lay, it gets stronger and stronger. Feels much better even with the keel and chines taped.

Again, crappy photos, but at midnight I just wanted to get to bed :lol:
I find I am only able to work on it after about 8.00 at night when the family is fed, watered and the little bloke is in bed, by this time I am usually buggered as well, but I need to make some progress in the next 6 months :lol:

I think I am starting to get the hang of this filleting caper!

I have a fly fishing competition on this weekend, so I'll endeavour to get the hull cleaned up this week and will glass the inside with cloth next week.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:59 am
by Joe H
I think you are starting to get the hang of it too, looks great!

Good luck this weekend.

Joe H

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 am
by jacquesmm
Very clean putty fillets.

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:15 pm
by BarraMan
Looking good Justin!

Congratulations on the "new rug-rat under construction"!

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:09 pm
by justin_dwyer
jacquesmm wrote:Very clean putty fillets.
Thanks Jacques, pity the same can't be said for the epoxy work, runs and drips everywhere :lol:
BarraMan wrote:Congratulations on the "new rug-rat under construction"!
Thanks Lee, the pressure is on to get as much done as I can on constructing this boat, while mum constructs the new deckie. In 6 months time it will come to a screaming holt no doubt :wink:

Thanks for checking in guys.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm
by justin_dwyer
I've cleaned up the hull now, sanded all the seams, filled the holes from strakes, etc and ready to glass the bottom.

I'll attempt that this weekend, although I'll probably only get half of it done. Then I'll sand and prep to glass the other side.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 am
by willg
Looking good, Justin!

Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 pm
by Mikem59
Wow Justin, look'in good :!: You've managed to slip past where I'm at and on to the next step I'll be doing, filleting and taping all the joints. I hope I can gain confidence like you did. I know it'll feel good to get back to doing something I've already gained some experience on from the earlier parts of the build.

And, good to see you get to enjoy some of your time when not building, nice catches!

Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:20 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Mike.

I will have to flip mine back over once I have the stringers and frames in to fair and finish the bottom, so I reckon you'll be covering yours in blood and guts well before me :lol:

I read your forum, I have been going for about 2 years now too....in the meantime CL has built a mini super yacht :wink:

Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:55 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Read another thread that your inside hull is being 'glassed ! Thumbs up. When the soles are in you will appreciate working on her a lot more. That part was the pits to do.

Marc

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:23 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:That part was the pits to do
Couldn't agree with you more there Marc, glassing that inside section is the pits!!
I did feel happier doing it though, means I am one step closer to finishing :lol:

I have the first side glassed. Not moving forward too quickly at this stage, but still moving forward. I think once I get these larger sections done, I will be able to move quicker as I'll be able to do an hour here and an hour there. Trying to get a 4-5 hour window to get these large pieces done is difficult at this stage with a young family. But on this occasion my wife helped mix resin and we got this first half done in 2 hours.

Sorry about the photos, the light where I am building is not the best for pics.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:30 pm
by BarraMan
Nice work Justin!

Its a real hoot, isn't it - working on the inside of a big boat. :D

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:16 am
by justin_dwyer
It's a hoot when you get out knowing you've finished that run :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:40 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Yeah !!! nice job. Betcha just can't wait to do the other side

Marc

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:51 am
by Joe H
Hello Justin,
I was cleaning up my computer files and came across these details for the p19 and thought maybe you could use them, it’s not much more than what’s already on the plans, I just detailed them out a little more in depth so I could print them out on a smaller sheet of paper.

Jacques, if your reading this I hope it’s okay to post these, if not just delete them.

Joe H

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 am
by jacquesmm
Joe, I had to delete those drawings: you gave almost all the drawings away by posting dimensions for the frames.
Any builder is free to redraw my lines to customize them but I don't want them distributed over the internet.
There are already enough illegal copies of my plans in circulation.

I suppose the idea was to show how you raised the roof. That is fine but please don;t show the hull lines.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 am
by Joe H
I Completely understand Jacques, too much detail, I should have asked first.

Joe H.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 am
by jacquesmm
BTW, the drafting was very nice.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:59 am
by Joe H
BTW, the drafting was very nice.
LOL, Thanks! Need any help, Detroit Auto industry has been good to me for the last 30 years but I sure could use some Florida Sunshine! Ha

Joe H

Sorry for the HiJack Justine.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:Yeah !!! nice job. Betcha just can't wait to do the other side
You bet Marc, then I know it is done!! Got some cramps on the last run up near the bow :wink:
Joe H wrote:I was cleaning up my computer files and came across these details for the p19 and thought maybe you could use them, it’s not much more than what’s already on the plans, I just detailed them out a little more in depth so I could print them out on a smaller sheet of paper.
Thanks for thinking of me Joe, if Jacques gives you permission, you could always email it to me?
I also have CAD software at home, so I can update any drawings if I get a bit stuck.

I might take a day off work later this week to glass up the other side, then we are away for 10 days, heading home to celebrate my Nanna's 100th birthday!!

Cheers for checking in.
Justin.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:29 am
by jacquesmm
No problem to exchange drawings between legitimate owners of the plans.
CC a copy to me and I may add to the plans and give you credit.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:50 am
by justin_dwyer
Hoot Hoot!!! :lol: (this is for you Lee)

Other side done!!

It was much hotter today and the front of my boat sits in the sun with a cover over it, however this means the front gets hot so working on the bow was a real mess, the epoxy starting kicking basically as I was rolling it out. Still, I am happy enough with the result.

Have any of you guys had problems with your fiberglass laying flat in hot weather. Here are some pics of some glass up near the front. It looked fine when I rolled it out and It all looks OK structurally, they are not bubbles, but the glass has some waves in it. Any one had this happen before?

I am away from Saturday for 10 days and then I will get the stringers in as soon as I can.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 am
by Noles309
justin_dwyer wrote:
Have any of you guys had problems with your fiberglass laying flat in hot weather. Here are some pics of some glass up near the front. It looked fine when I rolled it out and It all looks OK structurally, they are not bubbles, but the glass has some waves in it. Any one had this happen before?

Cheers
Justin.
Hey Justin, looking good. I had a place like that in the bottom of mine about a foot square or so. It was smooth to the touch and there didn't appear to be air under it so I just faired over it.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:10 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Man...done and done. Nice job !! I would rather have my left eye poked with a white hot spike and driven right into my brain than doing that part again. The rest is a cake-walk :-)

I need to get a hold of a laptop with internet...off the grid right now but the boat is progressing.

Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:20 am
by justin_dwyer
Been super busy with "life" at the moment. I have started a career change at the same time I am working full time. I am working my way up through my marine tickets so I can enter the marine industry full time, but as I have a young family to support I am not willing to sacrifice the job I have at the moment until I get my next ticket and then a job I want. So for now it is gaining seatime on the side.

As a result boat building has taken last place on a very long list, and with only 3 months til our second child arrives, the list is only going to get longer.

I have still managed to tick along very slowly though.

The schedule didn't call for it, but I glassed the transom on the inside with 12oz.

I used some pine offcuts to bridge the gap between the clamping boards and the transom.
Now I need to work on getting the stringers in.

I'll probably post in another month with the first stringer in :help:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:10 am
by Joe H
You're still making forward progress Justin.
I used some pine offcuts to bridge the gap between the clamping boards and the transom.
Good idea, mine collects dirt there.

What is your next ticket mean?

Joe H

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:31 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Joe.
Joe H wrote:What is your next ticket mean?Joe H
Not sure about you guys, In Australia, your first commercial ticket is your coxswains (which I have) and the next one is a master 5. I am pretty sure these are international tickets. So I am working towards my master 5 and an MED 2 (which is all about marine engines and things that make vessels operate/engineering).

Once I have these tickets I can then be in the mix for some good/stable work in the marine industry.

Until then I am working on fishing charters (in addition to my full time job) to get my seatime up.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:05 am
by BarraMan
Are you guiding Justin?

I am looking for someone to put me and a mate onto salt water Barra on lures (no trolling!) on Monday 24 August.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Lee

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:56 am
by justin_dwyer
Hey Lee, I am guiding on a 14m cray boat for bottom species (goldies, Jews, etc). I would have taken you and your mate out chasing saltwater barra for sure, but unfortunately I'll be away that weekend (leave from 8-24 august). I would give Karl, from Darwin Barra and Crab a call. He can barra in a toilet bowl. Tell him justin sent you.

How long are you in town for, feel free to drop over for a sticky beak at our boat and a beer if your free.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:19 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Back in the real world ! Sounds like a busy life there, bud :-) Marine tickets to boot. Where I sit at National Defence (sonars for Navy ships) I keep hearing stories from the sailors and their travels on the high seas plowing thru storms then combat zones in the Gulf or around Somalia. Sometimes I wish to have my time back and be an officer in the Navy -something to experience once in a life. Too cool for you Justin !!

I have made so much progress on Harmony but photo uploads will have to wait until the fall I think; basically living in the woods since April and 7 days a week building after work for a few hours then full time on weekends. Ahead of schedule now whoooo.

Take care Justin and have fun !

Marc

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:07 am
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:I have made so much progress on Harmony but photo uploads will have to wait until the fall I think
Can't wait to see them Marc :D

OK, I have started the process of getting these stringers in. Once again I think I way over thought the process, but anyway, we have progress.
I made 2 new stringers, I wasn't happy with the other ones (the two outer ones).

I have decided to put the two outer ones in first as I'll have plenty of room to work and this will give me a level for the other two. I'll then work my way in 1 at a time.

I rested the two stringers in place about 4 inches above where they needed to be (resting on blocks), as I am working alone I placed frame C in position also raised about 4 inches so the stringer would stay upright, I then lay a bead of glue down between some small ply spaces (6mm) and then lifted the stringer, removed the block and sat them in position. I then cleaned up the fillets and checked the spacing. I also put frame F in just to make sure I had the gaps right.

As there is a good slope forward of frame C, when I remove this I will tape the bottom side of the stringer and just pour glue in the topside to fill this. I will post pics on this later (when I've done it).

Here are some pics.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm
by Fuzz
Now that is some fine looking work there!

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:19 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Fuzz :D

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 pm
by justin_dwyer
2 down, 2 to go! :D

Started the first one at about 2pm on a hot day, never again!! :doh:
Doing all my glass work for long areas in the night or early morning from now on.

Stated at 5.30am this morning to finish them up.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 pm
by willg
Nice. Very clean work there, Justin.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:17 am
by BarraMan
Looking good Justin - build on!

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 am
by Cracker Larry
Mighty nice glass work! Practice does make perfect :D

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks guys, will try and get the other two in this weekend, although I'm taking the family fishing on Sunday :)

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:40 pm
by justin_dwyer
Managed to get one more stringer in, one to go! :D

Jumped in the other boat with the family yesterday and went fishing, got our bag limit of snapper in 45 minutes, which made for a relaxing boat ride after that :lol:

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pics!

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:15 pm
by justin_dwyer
Got the last stringer set up, will glass it in tonight. Then it is time to start the bulkheads, then flip back to fair the bottom.

Amazing how much stronger the bottom feels already.

If I had my time again, I would build a much better supporting jig for the bottom, I reckon there has been a little bit of movement in the hull, it is still acceptable I think, but slightly off. I'll try and fix this when I tab the bulkheads in.

At this stage I'll call "floating" a win :lol: .....it may go round in circles though....

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 pm
by BarraMan
Ahhhhh fairing! Your just gonna love it!

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 pm
by justin_dwyer
It will be fair...enough!! (not Cracker or Barraman fair) :lol:

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 pm
by Cracker Larry
It will be fair...enough!! (not Cracker or Barraman fair)
That glass work is as clean as mine. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 pm
by justin_dwyer
Cracker Larry wrote:That glass work is as clean as mine. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks Cracker :D

OK, got these stringers licked!
Just a little bit of cleaning up to do on some glass edges and then time to install some bulkheads.

I am 103kg and I feel safe walking around in there now. :lol:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 am
by BarraMan
Wow Justin!

Looking GOOD! Build on - I would hold off on starting again for now! :lol:

You not gonna glass right up the interior sides? :o I would consider it - you never know when one of those big NT lizards may decide to chomp through your hull ! :lol: Seriously - added strength and protection for not much weight.

My hull is bigger than yours, has all the seams triple taped, 3 x layers of 12 oz biax glass cloth external and 2 x layers internal, and all my bulkheads have 1 layer of 6 oz glass cloth - and it still only weighs 400 kg !

I figure the completed bare boat will be around 800 kg. That is very light for a 22' boat.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:24 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Lee!

I'll definitely be glassing the sides, I'll do that next. I wanted to put the stringers in first so I can walk around in there. Now I feel safe :lol: .

I have to go away this weekend on an extended fishing charter, so it will have to wait til next week.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:18 pm
by Noles309
Alright Justin, you're rolling! Keep it up! 8) 8)

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm
by Mikem59
Justin - Look'in real good! :D Like you said, we're at the same stage just different builds.

Mike

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:24 pm
by justin_dwyer
You are actually ahead of me mate, I have to flip mine back over to fair the bottom. The bottom is rock solid now, so I'll know the hull is fair. :D

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:16 am
by glossieblack
Justin, For a bloke raising a family, changing career direction, and chasing professional tickets, you're going great, as is the boat. :D

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:42 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for the positive comments Glossieblack, feel pretty stretched at times, but life is great :D

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm
by justin_dwyer
WOW, has it really been 6 months since I updated this boat!!
glossieblack wrote:Justin, For a bloke raising a family, changing career direction, and chasing professional tickets, you're going great, as is the boat.
All of this has been taking my attention, and an addition to the family, my wife and I had a little girl 3 months ago. If I thought I was busy with 1 kid, 2 is exponentionally busier. I have another couple of months of study and then I can sit the exam for my marine ticket, this will free me up a little more again.

But life is starting to have some assemblance of routine again so I have managed to do a little bit of work on the boat.

I have glassed the remainder of the sides with a light glass for protection.

Prepared all the Frames (glassed with a woven 200g cloth for areas above the sole). Triple primed all the areas below the sole.

And last night I managed to glass in the first of the Frames. The first bit of filleting I have done in a while and it was UGLY. That frame is strong enough, but I am glad it will never be seen. I am going to call it my worst glassing on the boat so far!

I’ll keep plodding away, as long as I am going forward I am not going backwards.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29 pm
by BarraMan
Looks good to me Justin - build on! :D

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 pm
by glossieblack
Good that you're able to keep it moving along Justin. Looking good :D

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:34 pm
by peter-curacao
justin_dwyer wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:That glass work is as clean as mine. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks Cracker :D

OK, got these stringers licked!
Just a little bit of cleaning up to do on some glass edges and then time to install some bulkheads.

I am 103kg and I feel safe walking around in there now. :lol:

Cheers
Justin
Ahhh memories 8) great work Justin lets keep the pics coming 8)

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 pm
by justin_dwyer
peter-curacao wrote:Ahhh memories
:lol: :lol: Not enough room in my brain for memories Peter.

Thanks for checking in guys, I'll try and provide some more photos (and hence progress) :D

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:15 am
by Joe H
Looks good from here Justin, I have some P19 CAD parts with dimensions if you would like me to send them to you?

Joe H

Example:

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:30 pm
by blueflood
Pretty fancy Joe 8)
Welcome back Justin :D uhhhh top notch glassin' :wink: It's great to see the different structure on our boats. Mine has no stringers but it moves at crawling speed compared to yours. How did your stint go ? Still more I gather ? Earlier you had mentioned you had to suspend your build due to obtaining your "ticket", so this phase is done now ?

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:08 am
by justin_dwyer
Joe H wrote:I have some P19 CAD parts with dimensions if you would like me to send them to you?
Thanks Joe, I would really appreciate that, would save me drawing them again.
How is your boat going, got any more pictures of it in action?
blueflood wrote:Earlier you had mentioned you had to suspend your build due to obtaining your "ticket", so this phase is done now ?
Marc, I didn't really suspend the build, just never found any time lately, I had another baby and I have still been working on getting my Master 5 (marine ticket), got about 2 months til I get this finished. Generally life just gets in the way of building for now, but I'll plod away and get it finished. It seems like it sits there for a while, then I'll elevate it and smash a heap out, then it drops back again, it is on a sliding scale of priority :D

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:56 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Taking short breaks is welcomed to refresh, think ahead and plan. Hope all is good with your family and best of luck with your Master 5 endeavour 8)

Marc

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:31 am
by Joe H
Pretty fancy Joe

Thanks Marc,
CAD is easy compared to your illustrations, you sure do put a ton of thought into it, I like the angled boxes too, what do brothers know, every time my brother was over checking my build out he’d say I don’t think I’d do it like that, I told him that’s why I’m building my boat not him! ha
At one point in time I had all the bits a pieces drawn up on CAD, but I can only find a few of them now, Jacques say’s it okay to share them with Justin but not to post here, so Justin, I’ll need your email address to send you what I have, I have my email activated on here so you can contact me that way.
How is your boat going, got any more pictures of it in action?
My P19 is all bundled up for the winter Justin, this is what she looked like just before having her shrink wrapped for the winter.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:18 am
by justin_dwyer
Joe, What a shame you have to wrap it up, that is one positive of living in the tropics, you can pretty well fish every day of the year :D

I just sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it and ill post my address here for you.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:30 pm
by Joe H
I just sent you an email, let me know if you don't get it and ill post my address here for you
I didn't get it Justin.

Joe H

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 pm
by justin_dwyer
Deleted post

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:29 am
by Joe H
Got it Justin,
You can delete if u want.

Joe h

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:03 am
by Joe H
Hey Justin,
I emailed you some details, hope it helps!

Joe H

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks heaps Joe, I got it. :D

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:55 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

Maybe a bit of a ways to go but what are you planning for the cabin ?

Marc

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:21 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:Hi Justin, Maybe a bit of a ways to go but what are you planning for the cabin ? Marc
Hi Marc, that is about 5 years away :lol: :lol:

I plan to build the cabin structure as the plans have it, as far as layout goes I am not sure. I wish I could be as organised as you (and have your talent for sketches), but I will be flying by the seat of my pants I think. With two kids under 3 I don't have much time for pondering, just building when I get a chance, so just sticking to the plans at this stage.

I look forward to doing the layout, but that will be at least another 12/18 months away, I have to finish putting the bulkheads in and then I need to flip it back and fair the hull.

So for now I am living vicariously through all these other great builds a head of me, including yours :D

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin, sounds like a plan :D

Well after every building season, I end up adding another year of work on this boat so it will never be the way I really want it.
I could spend another full summer fairing and detailing but I want to use it while I am alive :P Organized is only to not re-do work twice like I did already in a few areas and will do again (third time) on the instrument panel :lol: No matter how many sketches or how far ahead you plan - things seem to change :lol:

Build on sailor !

Marc

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:Well after every building season, I end up adding another year of work on this boat so it will never be the way I really want it.
Yep, things constantly change Marc, I just want to get this boat to float and go and then will spend the years after that "finishing" the boat (but it will never be finished :lol: )

Still plugging away slowly here.

Working in really hot and humid conditions here is causing me some grief, things kick off so fast it is almost unworkable. I have my resin in the fridge (5°C) and I can do a fillet of about 1 metre, then lay the two glass tapes down and the fillet is nearly hard by the time I have finished this. Just what I have to deal with I suppose. Wasting a lot of resin :doh:

Here is Frame C in :D

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:38 pm
by Mikem59
Justin,

Looks like you're getting some work in as well. Your build looks a quite a bit more complicated the the FS18. Like you, I just want to get to a point where I can float the boat. I'm not in the home stretch, but I feel like once I get the cleats glued in run my conduit for fuel lines and electrical, I'll be in really able to keep on. But every step along the way never goes as quickly as you think or would like.

And, yeah working with the resin in hot and humid conditions can drive you crazy. I enjoy this time of year in Texas as we get some nice 60 to 70 deg F days that really help to extend the pot life. But, unless I heat the resin up a little, it's tough to wet out fiberglass at 60 deg.

Hope you can keep progressing.

Mike

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:31 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Hired :D 8) Pretty slick taping job.
Marc

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 pm
by Joe H
Man does that look familiar, nice work Justin.
Hired Pretty slick taping job.
Marc
Fly him into Detroit first Marc, I’ll pick him up at the airport, first show him what a real truck looks like :wink: , take him out in the P-19, as soon as the ice is out, and then run across the border to your place and fish the beautiful waters of Lake Ontario or the Ottawa river, maybe a little taping in there somewhere. ha.

Joe H

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm
by blueflood
Sounds like a blast Joe...get Justin to try Labatt Blue :lol: But...if I am on a boat - not thinking about taping though :D

Joe, which CAD software do you make use of. Doing everything by hand, sometimes I get real tired of erasing :roll: Have 3D ACAD and Sketch Up knowledge but yours is obviously more tailored for curves.
(sorry for the thread high-jack Justin)

Marc

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:16 pm
by Joe H
Hey Marc,
I use Catia but it's through work, I don't have to pay for it, I have Rhino at home and it's okay but when you have access to something like Catia not much else compares, it's the CAD system Ford uses, it's great for designing boat's not too bad for cars either! ha :D

Joe H

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm
by justin_dwyer
Mikem59 wrote:But every step along the way never goes as quickly as you think or would like.
Couldn't agree with you more there mate, but progress is progress.
blueflood wrote:Hey Justin,
Joe H wrote:Man does that look familiar, nice work Justin.
Hired Pretty slick taping job.
Marc
Fly him into Detroit first Marc, I’ll pick him up at the airport, first show him what a real truck looks like :wink: , take him out in the P-19, as soon as the ice is out, and then run across the border to your place and fish the beautiful waters of Lake Ontario or the Ottawa river, maybe a little taping in there somewhere. ha.

Joe H
:lol: :lol:
Sounds like a plan Joe and Marc, let me know when you want my passport number :lol:

If boat building doesn't work out for you guys, you can always have a go at being travel agents.

It would be pretty cool to set up a big project like a TW28 and have a meet where everyone (maybe not everyone, but a few who are interested) fly across the world or drive down the road for a "working holiday" to build a boat with other builders, I reckon with 10 or so guys who have a little experience you could punch out a boat pretty quick.

On the other hand, maybe just catching up to go fishing would be more fun :lol:

Thanks for checking in.

Cheers
Justin.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:46 pm
by blueflood
Holy shit Justin 8O 8O At Christmas I had the same thought. A big boat project with Bateau builders and crank one out in due time. No kidding :lol: Being well mannered and gentlemanly we flip a coin, play caps or short straw to draw for who gets the honours to do the shitty work :lol: hmmm yeah, drop the tools and head out :lol:

Thank you Joe, yes I have heard of that software, it has a firm presence in the engineering world. Had Rhino at one time but it a goner now. I will poke around for a cheap one on the web; I like to rotate parts around to see what is going on and how things look from different points of view. Gotta use the ol' Mk 1 Eyeball. Maybe Justin needs to be terrified with a fast spin gripping the controls of a BRP snowmobile...on a frozen river :P

The floor is yours Justin :D

Marc

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:Maybe Justin needs to be terrified with a fast spin gripping the controls of a BRP snowmobile...on a frozen river
I wouldn't be terrified Marc, I'd be stoked :lol:
I use to race motocross in my prime (but I am past that now :lol: ), so yep, I would probably kill myself...haha!!

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 pm
by blueflood
Then you would love doing that on the white stuff :lol: I hear you...every morning is a new kink somewhere :roll:

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:19 am
by glossieblack
Careful Justin, We lived in Canada for four years. Great country, great people. Then one day the penny dropped. It's better being hot than cold. And I mean cold! :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:59 am
by BarraMan
I've done cold and I've done hot - hot is more betterer! :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 am
by justin_dwyer
WOW!!! Has it really been since February since I did any building 8O

It's been a very busy year, but a good one. Raising kids, getting skilled up ready to change career, fishing, etc, etc, etc :D

I must say I would never have attempted a project like this if I had kids, I started this project 3 and half years ago just before my son was born, he turned 3 a few weeks ago (stupidly thinking I'd have plenty of time at home and hence needed a project, well I do have plenty of time at home, I just don't have plenty of time), now my daughter is 1 this weekend. I don't like to sacrifice time with my family to build a boat, so most of it is done after 8pm at night when the kids are in bed, the wife is chilling out, I am rooted and can't use power tools anyway, that is why the progress is slow. Pretty sure I have about 15 years left on this build :lol:
The plus side is I might actually have some cash to fit it out by then.

Anyway, I am slowly getting back into some building now that I have stopped studying.

I've put the frames in to support the sole and dry fit the motorwell sides and Frame F, I'll glass all this in this week hopefully.
I'll let the pictures tell the story :)

I made a pretty simple jig to hold the small frames to make sure they were level with the stringers and was easy to tack weld them 4 at a time.

Glassed in place

Inside the motorwell

And I thought I better throw a fish pic in there too :)

Will post more soon hopefully, hopefully another 8 months doesn't get past me :wink:

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 am
by blueflood
Eureka !! Back on the horse :lol:
Man, your FG job looks great Justin... the Cracker Larry & Justin School of Laser Straight Taping 8)

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:13 pm
by BarraMan
Go Justin!

The boat should be finished in time for your retirement! :lol:

I got no kids (at home), no job (well only a part-time one), a really patient wife and have been working on the beast almost full-time for the last 2 years. This building system makes great boats but is very labor intensive.
On the plus side I have been able to spare no expense in the build.

I figure a "splash" is 4 - 6 weeks away.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:49 pm
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote:... the Cracker Larry & Justin School of Laser Straight Taping
I'll take the compliment Marc (even though I know I'm not in the Cracker league), cheers 8)
BarraMan wrote:I figure a "splash" is 4 - 6 weeks away
Look forward to seeing it in the water Lee.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 pm
by Joe H
Good to see ya back at it Justin!

Joe H

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 pm
by glossieblack
Very nice work Justin. Your doing one quality build.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:36 pm
by justin_dwyer
Joe H wrote:Good to see ya back at it Justin!
glossieblack wrote:Very nice work Justin. Your doing one quality build.
Thanks Joe and Michael :wink:

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:59 pm
by blueflood
Hi Justin,

I meant to say, not sure what you are doing on yours but if you need a starting point; sort of sister boat to mine, you are welcome to my plans (free of charge of course :lol: ) At least you will have something to start with on the same center line and take it from there to your liking. I recall you wanted to do something different mid-way on your build :?: Anyhow, let me know I'll make ledger size prints and mail them. Looks all good on paper with seemingly impossible to fuck-up dimensions but :help: uhh executing it all is a different story :lol: :roll:

Anxious to see what you're brewin'

Marc

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:56 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hi Marc,

That would be awesome mate, I'd appreciate that. I don't have a clear plan at this stage, I'm on the other end of the spectrum to you (which I admire you for!), I am completely winging it. I don't have time to build and plan, so just making it up as I go. I would love to see your plans and maybe that will help me progress a bit quicker.

I just found out I have to go away for work for 5 weeks out of the next 7, so just when I thought I was going to get a run at it, things will grind to a halt again. Very frustrating!! :help:

Thanks mate.
Cheers

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:41 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin,

Sure thing, my pleasure. Email is blueflood @rogers dot com with your address and will pop those in the mail 8) :D
Life goes on but you will have a surprise when you get back !

Be safe buddy !

Marc

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:29 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Marc, you're a champion mate!! 8)

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 pm
by BarraMan
G'day Justin!

Any progress with your build?

I am headed for the McArthur R in September - plan to put a dint in the NT barra stocks!

Cheers

Lee

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:32 am
by blueflood
Justin...I read you are family busy. Just checking in, buddy :D
Hope all is good in your world !

Marc

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 am
by justin_dwyer
Hi Lee and Marc,
No progress here guys, work has been so busy this year and I have been doing a lot of time away from home. Might get into it a bit over the next few weeks, so stay tuned :wink:

I did manage to fish the freshwater fly competition in Darwin a few weeks ago and managed to come 3rd, our team found a patch of barra and managed 35 in an hour which gave us some great points. Good luck fishing the McArthur River Lee.

How is your build coming on Marc.

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:36 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin, the build is going OK and on schedule I think. A few photos in my page. It took some time to get going this year because of the weather and for some reason; a little lack of motivation but back in the groove now. Should be painted by season's end with a few big-ticket items to purchase also. All in all...great !

Looking forward to see pix when you get back on yours. Take care Justin :D

Marc

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm
by justin_dwyer
Been beavering away slowly here.

I have managed to get Frame F glassed in.

My lovely wife helped me with the motorwell sides, what a pain in the arse they were. That spot down between the side and the outside stringer :x :doh: . It was definitely an advantage to have her passing me cups of resin while I was bent in half!!

I have a few things to tidy up around the boat, like sealing exposed wood, a couple of fillets on the spray rails and filling a few fibreglass bubbles and then I will be working on flipping her back over to finish off the bottom of the hull. Fairing, Fairing, Fairing!!!

I don't mind monotonous tasks sometimes, so the fairing will ok I am sure :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:42 pm
by Eric1
Looking good!! :D

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 am
by glossieblack
Good to see that you've been able to squeeze in some boat building Justin. The glass work looks great.

Are you still intending to build her as a C19?

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 am
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Michael, yeah I think our needs have changed and the C19 is probably more practical for Darwin....by the time I have finished there will be 4 of us wanting to flick lures around and jig for mackerel...the kids will be teenagers by then (2 and 4 now) :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 am
by glossieblack
Justin, I'm assuming that a C19 can be finished sooner than a P19. Is this right?

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 am
by justin_dwyer
glossieblack wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 am Justin, I'm assuming that a C19 can be finished sooner than a P19. Is this right?
Yes, a little bit sooner...and there won't be any babies that need daytime sleeps :)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:59 am
by Aripeka Angler
Very nice and clean tape work! 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin :D (there is a an alternative US band called Blue October where a part in a song you hear the singer (Justin Furstenfeld) being called by his mother, shouting ..."hey Justin, hey Justin" - always reminds me of you)

Like I said; A++ taping 8) So you plan on no cabin ? A lot less work for sure but...at least have a portable head; nothing wreck a day on the water without one. Went fishing for a full day without and swore that was the last time to ever step in a boat for a day cruise if no facilities aboard. Also, you can always add a removable top for sun protection.

Looking good bud, keep at it :D Happy for you back on the build and everything is good in your world !

Marc

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks AA and Marc :)
blueflood wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 am at least have a portable head; nothing wreck a day on the water without one. Went fishing for a full day without and swore that was the last time to ever step in a boat for a day cruise if no facilities aboard
I always have a portable head on board Marc :lol: :lol:

I still have lots of planning to do with regards to the layout, I have been studying your plans you sent and getting lots of inspiration :)

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 am
by BarraMan
Good to see you back at it Justin!

We are headed for the McArthur R in September to chase a few barra. :D

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 am
by Fuzz
justin_dwyer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm Thanks AA and Marc :)
blueflood wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 am at least have a portable head; nothing wreck a day on the water without one. Went fishing for a full day without and swore that was the last time to ever step in a boat for a day cruise if no facilities aboard

I still have lots of planning to do with regards to the layout, I have been studying your plans you sent and getting lots of inspiration :)

Cheers
Justin
That was the normal head when I commercial fished. When used on the back deck the cabin never stank, it never plugged up and you never had to pump out the holding tank :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 am
by glossieblack
A bucket is the best solution for a small boat.

If you're coy about unloading in company, put a towel around you before you sit. If any crew complain, you've got the wrong crew, remember this, then go ahead and unload anyway. If you're in a crowded anchorage, go for a spin and toss. If it's night, who cares?

When in a small boat, my preference is to dive overboard, go for a swim, then unload.

But some silly buggers choose to live in climes where it' too cold to swim, or there are crocs. 8O

It takes all types. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am
by blueflood
Hi Justin, guys,

I get the bucket thing having done that and the dive & dump but...i plan on cruising with a female sailor at times :wink: so a bit of luxury included would not hurt to see her come back for more cruises :lol: Personally i like my total privacy in the washroom, figured she would be even more sensitive, such as our tender opposites are. As long as she keeps the face paint, hair dryer home, and does not mind total-body washing with a face cloth without complaining, we good 8) :lol:
... oh yeah, don't rearrange my boat also.

Glad the drawings are of use, buddy !

Marc

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:00 pm
by justin_dwyer
BarraMan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 am We are headed for the McArthur R in September to chase a few barra.
Good luck Lee :D
Fuzz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 am That was the normal head when I commercial fished. When used on the back deck the cabin never stank, it never plugged up and you never had to pump out the holding tank
Simple is best, I had a toilet clog up on a charter I was taking, that was a "shit" job sorting that out!! :help:
glossieblack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:05 am If you're coy about unloading in company, put a towel around you before you sit. If any crew complain, you've got the wrong crew, remember this, then go ahead and unload anyway. If you're in a crowded anchorage, go for a spin and toss. If it's night, who cares?

When in a small boat, my preference is to dive overboard, go for a swim, then unload.
blueflood wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am ...i plan on cruising with a female sailor at times
I get this Marc, my wife is fine when it is just me and the kids, she'll do the unload and toss, but when others are on board....a different story!

I couldn't tell from your photos, but is there a rack next to the head for newspapers, crosswords, etc :lol: :lol:

Thanks for checking in guys, always a good laugh.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:21 pm
by TomW1
Fuzz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 am
justin_dwyer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 pm Thanks AA and Marc :)

Cheers
Justin
That was the normal head when I commercial fished. When used on the back deck the cabin never stank, it never plugged up and you never had to pump out the holding tank :lol:
Well you can always upgrade a little bit. :lol: :lol: http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/ ... 723735.uts

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:10 am
by Eric1
I was on a 50 mile run offshore with a friend of mine. He'd brought his brother in law with us. He was a city boy from up north and had never fished or You should have been there, He said I have to poop. I said go ahead. Then he asked what about the porta potty I saw when you showed us where the fire extinguisher was? 'I told him that was for my little girls to pee in, if they have to crap it goes in the bucket and over the side. Get ready for this...Next thing out of his mouth was, "What about the environment?" I started laughing and asked him if he'd thought about how much a whale craps.
He used the bucket.

Thar she blows! :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 am
by justin_dwyer

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:56 pm
by topwater
Now that's funny :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm
by blueflood
Awright awright i'll get a bucket :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 am
by justin_dwyer
blueflood wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm :lol: :lol:
Awright awright i'll get a bucket :lol:
Your dunny looks mighty fine Marc :D

Been fixing up a few things, filling some holes, etc.

The only thing really picture worthy was that I filleted and shaped the spray rails. I will route the edges when I flip the hull over so I can glass them in, I will then sharpen the water edge and leave the upper edge rounded. (I should routed the edges before gluing, but I didn't have one then, 2 years ago :lol: )

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 am
by glossieblack
Good to see you at it Justin. Nice work. 8)

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:36 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Manly looking spray rails! Those rails will sure beat the water down 8)
Nice looking fillets and glass work as well :D

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:21 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks Michael!
Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:36 pm Manly looking spray rails! Those rails will sure beat the water down 8)
Nice looking fillets and glass work as well :D
AA, I've never been very good at "dainty" work... :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm
by Hope2float
Hey Justin it has been a while since i have visited the site. Years ago we discussed putting glass over the spray rails. Do not do that, I have wrestled with the glass on the spray rails for four years. The pressure from the water at planning speeds just removes sections of it like a water jet. I have found that coating them with epoxy primer and paint is all that is needed. The sides of them remain fine with no damage from normal use. This bright idea of mine has proven to not be so bright. Keep up the good work and relieve yourself the extra work. Dave BUILD-ON! The bottom to side profile is sharp no need to rout a round in it. I hope this helps.

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm
by BarraMan
Hope2float wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm Hey Justin it has been a while since i have visited the site. Years ago we discussed putting glass over the spray rails. Do not do that, I have wrestled with the glass on the spray rails for four years. The pressure from the water at planning speeds just removes sections of it like a water jet. I have found that coating them with epoxy primer and paint is all that is needed. The sides of them remain fine with no damage from normal use. This bright idea of mine has proven to not be so bright. Keep up the good work and relieve yourself the extra work. Dave BUILD-ON! The bottom to side profile is sharp no need to rout a round in it. I hope this helps.
Hmmm, sorry but I don't think I buy that. The fore part of my strakes act like spray rails and I bet the pressure on them at full chat is way more than yours. I went against guru (CL) advice and glassed my strakes. I glued (epoxy/woodflour) and screwed them to the hull then removed the screws and filled the holes with epoxy/woodflour. I radiused (?) the sharp edge and glassed the strakes onto the hull with 2 x overlapping layers of 6 oz biax tape, then sharpened them up again with epoxy/woodflour, sanded it all up nice and neat and finished them as per the usual - fairing compound, a couple of coats of epoxy, three coats of epoxy/graphite, then epoxy primer, polyurethane undercoat and three coats of polyurethaane topcoat.

I cruise around 30 kts and top out around 50 kts. The water pressure on the strake/spray rails has never looked like damaging my finish.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:36 am
by blueflood
Hey Justin :D Finally some action and rockin' nice fillets, dude 8)

Marc

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 am
by topwater
I glassed my spray rails and to this point i have not had any problems .

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 am
by Hope2float
Hey all I didn't, mean that it wouldn't work on others boats. I just didn't want to be responsible for extra work on my account. I don't Remember if I glassed my rails because of Crackers advice. He has always guided us correctly. He was a boat building god. I don't know why I had repeated failures first I used 9oz then went to 12 oz. The rails seem to be fine with out glass. Maybe I'm just harder on my boat, maybe it is the fact that the boat can reach speeds of 49 miles per hour on a regular basis. That may explain it. After all if you read my thread you will know that I glassed every exposed piece of wood on my boat and filleted, taped all joints and station supports with double 12oz. I went far above the recommended glassing schedule. The only thing I think it could have been is the speed. Anyway Justin your boat looks great. Dave BUILD-ON!

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:59 am
by icelikkilinc
If the glass delaminates from strakes or spray rails etc; it can also delaminate from the hull with the same logic as the hull is also exposed to the same speed starting with the bow. I think it has more to do with binding and/or application than glassing.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am
by peter-curacao
BarraMan wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm The fore part of my strakes act like spray rails and I bet the pressure on them at full chat is way more than yours. I went against guru (CL) advice and glassed my strakes.
Wow what would be the force on mine then? :P Justin I didn't glass any of my strakes and they are holding up just fine, beached the boat also regularly without any problems, just use hard wood and epoxy glue/fillet/cover them, don't over complicate stuff.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm
by justin_dwyer
Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it.
It sounds like there are as many people glassing strakes and spay rails on as there are without glass.
I think strength wise just gluing them on will be fine, but I will probably cover them in glass as I have only used a pine which won't take too much to dent them, and I have a few off cuts of glass cloth lying around.

I am planning the flip back now so I can finish the bottom.

I managed to pick up a tandem trailer in really good condition (unregistered) for $800, so I was pretty happy about that.

So once the bottom is done I'll flip it back on the trailer to finish.

Cheers
Justin

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:59 am
by glossieblack
justin_dwyer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm I managed to pick up a tandem trailer in really good condition (unregistered) for $800, so I was pretty happy about that.

So once the bottom is done I'll flip it back on the trailer to finish.
Sounds like a good trailer buy and a good plan forward Justin. :D

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 pm
by cbdigh
Any update to report on the build? I'm really interested in seeing this one completed as I'm sure others are as well!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 pm
by justin_dwyer
Hey mate, thanks for your interest :)

I haven't done a lot on it lately as life just gets in the way.

But I am gearing up again to make some more headway.
cbdigh wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 pm I'm really interested in seeing this one completed as I'm sure others are as well!
You can add me to this list too :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:56 pm
by BarraMan
Good to hear from you Justin!

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:58 pm
by justin_dwyer
Still snooping around mate, just got nothing to add for the moment.

How's that rig of yours going, been finding those barra?

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:03 pm
by BarraMan
justin_dwyer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:58 pm Still snooping around mate, just got nothing to add for the moment.
How's that rig of yours going, been finding those barra?
The boat is just great Justin and the barramundi fear its aapearance in their neck of the woods! :D