Biscuit's Panga 22 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Biscuit's Panga 22 build

Post by Cracker Larry »

There will be no appreciable difference in fuel economy at the same speed. If a 75 can push it 35 at WOT (I doubt it), a 90 will push it 35 at 80% of WOT. Fuel consumption is based on HP actually used, not HP available. At the same speed, all engines will use about the same amount fuel. But a 90 will not be working nearly so hard doing it and will last a lot longer running at 75-80% than a smaller engine running wide open all the time, plus you have HP in reserve when you need it with a heavy load, or out-running the storm. I don't know of anybody who ever wished they had less HP :wink: I'd put everything Jacques would allow, plus 10 :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater »

Most mid range engines use the same engine block , so a 70 and a 90 would weigh the same.
No weight penalty for more HP.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Thanks fellas. Just did some net surfing and found the new Suzuki's are only 7 lbs different in weight from the 75 to 90 hp. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it on the Suzuki website.

So today is my first day of vacation and no ply yet. Maybe I should have ordered it sooner. :doh: Maybe it'll be delivered today. If not I'm going to hang a light then measure up and cut the bow form.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

The plywood was delivered today and the fun started. :D
Sasha, my helper and I moved the ply into the garage and started drawing this evening. Well Sasha mostly supervises but occasionally she'll get all motivated and bark an order or two. So using the provided nesting drawings, we proceeded to draw the four transom pieces then called it a night. Tomorrow morning we'll cut, fit, laminate and hopefully mount the cured transom to the strongback and maybe get all the remaining frames drawn and a few cut out.
I also started the build stopwatch tonight. We're officially 2.5 hours into it 8)

Sasha keeping tabs on the project.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Sweet 8) Pretty exciting making those first traces on the plywood.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

wegcagle wrote:Sweet 8) Pretty exciting making those first traces on the plywood.
In deed it is Will.
Then life happens and you have to stay up all night with your crying baby, sleep half the day away, have family over for dinner tonight and go pick out two new recliners. So much for momentum. There might still be enough day left to fit in transom cut out and glue up. We'll see. :lol:
Jeff

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Made a little progress tonight. Managed to steal away for about two hours and cut these out and put a "clean coat" on one of the sides. If you look close, you'll see a couple small shipping bruises. Nothing major but I went ahead and filled them with thickened epoxy just to make me feel better.
In this small space junk is starting to stack up. I have to work on making some more room in here.
Don't say it too loud but I used one of those numbered fillers I had left over from another project.

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

HI Bud, congrats on your start. I like your QA officer as well. :D
Just a heads up - if those transom pieces are going to be glued together, be careful of the blush(waxy layer after epoxy cures) on your priming layers. You'll have to sand it off to give a key and get rid of the blush, and don't be shy with the glue. I had a whole lecture from the guys when I glued my transom...something between mayo and peanut butter if memory serves. There are great tutorials on the homepage as well.
Few things as great as the smell of wood being worked on and a whole stockpile to work with.
Have fun.
Antonie
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

antoniekruger wrote:HI Bud, congrats on your start. I like your QA officer as well. :D
Just a heads up - if those transom pieces are going to be glued together, be careful of the blush(waxy layer after epoxy cures) on your priming layers. You'll have to sand it off to give a key and get rid of the blush, and don't be shy with the glue. I had a whole lecture from the guys when I glued my transom...something between mayo and peanut butter if memory serves. There are great tutorials on the homepage as well.
Few things as great as the smell of wood being worked on and a whole stockpile to work with.
Have fun.
Antonie
Thanks brother,
I plan on sanding and washing them a bit as well.
Heading out there in a few minutes to get started. The QA officer is a stickler for punctuality so I better get to it.
Last edited by Biscuit on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Well today I was able to devote about 4 hours to the Panga. The transom is glued and clamped, not too tight of course and I used way too much thickened epoxy. It got everywhere and sure was a job by myself. Frames A, F, G and the bow form are cut out. Picture to come shortly. New phone and I haven't set it up yet.
Jeff