Page 1 of 1

re-finishing meranti table with EMC clear coat

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:41 pm
by tech_support
decided to refinish my outdoor table using the EMC clear. Table is made from reclaimed meranti from old pallets, I made it a few years ago and its been used outside since then. There are a few coats of epoxy over the wood, then I used S3 clear LPU over that. Table gets abuse (plays the roll of craft table for children) so I fist sanded scratches out with 180, then went back over it with 320. Then I simply rolled about 2 ounces of the EMC topcoat over top and.... 8O 8)

Re: re-finishing meranti table with EMC clear coat

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:35 pm
by jorgepease
Wow, that came out like new! Nice

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:36 pm
by wegcagle
Joel,

Do I need to buy an activator for the clear coat or is it just 1 part? Now that my boat's primed I figure I better add my wood accent pieces now before topcoating everything.

Thanks,

Will

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:39 pm
by tech_support
yes, you need the two parts, plus some reducer.....

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm
by Cracker Larry
Wow, that's nice :!: 8)

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm
by wegcagle
Thanks Joel. Love the table by the way. That's one heckuva crafts table 8)

Will

Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm
by tech_support
After some of the other projects around here are wrapped up, I have a bigger/longer table in mind. I have a ton of solid meranti pallet wood saved up 8)

Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:31 pm
by ks8
Very nice pallets 8)

So there was still plenty S3 LPU left on there when you rolled and tipped the EMC over it?

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 am
by tech_support
Yes, Im sure there was, I just sanded the surface with 320. It probably took most of the S3 off

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 am
by tech_support
Our new house did not have a good place to put the table, so I turned it into a new front door :)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 pm
by ks8
:lol: Nice 8)

The new economy of the 21st century, summarized in *re-purposing*? I learned how to shift a motorcycle transmission beause of the motorcyle/lawnmower in East Germany just at the beginning of the re-unification. Else it would have been a slow-mow. :lol:

Looked something like this, except the back end was a dirt bike, around 150cc , and the *mower* attachment was more commercial hefty .... the motorcycle back end was heavy, and tough to keep it upright when going real slow, but it did cut the grass!

Of course, it didn't look half as good as your new front door. 8)