Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by wegcagle »

I like the last one 8) To each their own.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Seems like the paint scheme designs are on the money if everyone likes different ones :-) Still have lots of time to ponder on it :-)

Put some good hours in this weekend and made some progress.

Glassed the transom in with biaxial, two layers. And finished the keel and chines today! Looking good I think. Used peel ply all around as I had to cut the 'tape' from a standard roll of biaxial and had issues getting the edges nice, peel ply sorted that out.

Close up of the fg on the starboard transom side.

Peel ply still on.

Now time for a well deserved BEER!

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Wouter, looks neat.
Big glass next?
Antonie
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thanx,

Jips, big pieces next. But on a work trip for the next two weeks and then off to the Zambezi for ten days fishing! So will have to wait till next month :-)

Might be home this Saturday and Sunday, if I am, I'll see if I'm up to the challenge.

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Back from my fishing trip on the Zambezi, was a tough week for fishing with a cold front hitting us the day of arrival.

Been at the boat building again. The biaxial taped corners came out nice, but I had a few dips in it. The areas were the cloth wasn't perfectly aligned gave some shallow spots. Btw, I did not have biaxial tape and had to cut the pieces from a full roll. The shallow spots worried me a little so I filled it with a epoxy filler and sanded it smooth, much happier now to put a new layer of FG over it. They grey in the taped areas is the epoxy filler. I figured it would be better to fill it then have air bubbles on the next layer. (will still try and upload detailed pics of this)

I put down a layer of neat epoxy tonight, going to tackle the big pieces in the morning! Gonna be a marathon of a day on my own!

Dry fitting the cloth

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Wouter, welcome back. Looks good.
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Sorry I haven't noticed your thread before. Love the fine work you have completed so far. Looks real good. Taking your time will help you enjoy the process and final results much more. I like the 2nd paint scheme. John

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Very clean work there. I'm seriously jealous of your shop though. 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Thanx guys!

What a weekend! Got the 1st layer of biaxial on! Looking good I think!

Taken a tip from CL and had all the Resin and Hardener pre-measured, ready to mix.

Beeing on my own I layed down the cloth 1st. However it wasn't easy as I primed the hull with a layer of epoxy the previous evening and it was still tacky (using super slow hardener) so stuck to the cloth easily and took me a while to get it all layed up. I only realised later that I made a mistake with my overlap of the second piece, it should have had another few cm of overlap. Struggling to get it layed up, I used a touch to much cloth at the transom and came up a little short on the bow. Don't think it will be a problem.

It was only at this point when I realized my overlap wasn't correct! :oops:

Slowly made my way forward.

About 8hrs later I was done!

I do have a question for all the experts! I want to put down another layer of FG over the top. however, the current layer does have some imperfections between the weaves. See pic hereunder. Can I glass straight over onto the current layer or would it be better to first fill these imperfections with an epoxy filler, sand it down and then lay down the next layer..? (as I did on the keel and chine) My concern is that if I do it straight over the current layer I might have some air bubbles that I won't be able to get out...?

Have a great week everyone!! 8)