Adelie16 from a land down under

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Adelie16 from a land down under

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Yes I am 450 km away from the nearest sea the Adriatic sea, so most of my sailing I will do on some nice lakes close by. It takes me 25 min by car to the shown launching spot it is called Traunsee and very nice for sailing because there are all kinds of winds which are often changing from morning to the afternoon. I am looking forward putting my boat into the water there next to the wooden finger dock.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

das boot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by das boot »

If you do it right you do not get wet at all. I sail my boat most of the time in Alowett lake near pit medows near Vancouver it takes me around 30 min to drive there and around 15 to rig the mast and get launched the lake is in the mountains so there is always a good wind it is 24 miles long so it takes me between 4-6 hours to get to the other end under sail then after I sail around a bit by then I am getting tired. For the trip back I just start the motor a 6HP 4 stroke and head back to the dock. I just refiled the tank from last week and I burnt 1 liter of fuel in the motor so that is a good day.
You will have no problems it is a very passive boat to work with. Mine is getting old around 8-10 years and i had to dew a few repairs this year but nothing big. I have had it out in the ocean a few times and i works well these as well I have sailed it from Vancouver to Vancouver Island a few times that is 35 miles of opened water no problems i can handle the waves well i have been in 5-6 foot waves no problem it just keeps on going. You will have nothing but fun on it.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
I have a question about your additional hatch on the foredeck. Because I always battle to get to the mast fittings I want to build also such a hatch like you did so that I can stand in the cabin and can have my hands at the mast partner and mast fittings. Can you please just tell me your experience with using this hatch and what I should look out for before I cut the hole in the deck.
Greetings from Karl
:D

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I hope you look occasionally still into the forum or are you sailing all the time in sunny Australia ?
Greetings from Karl

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl, I aim to go out sailing at least once a fortnight, we have a mild climate in Sydney, Australia so we don't go out for about 4 months a year during the colder months. I have made some changes to the boat. My large jib tended to pull the boat to Lee when sailing to windward and I was constantly fighting the tiller, I moved the mast back half a meter and now she is perfectly balanced. (I had to reinforce the hull to take the new mast position). If I let go of the tiller she will happily sail to windward for a good 10 minutes before slowly driving to lee. I will see if I can make a YouTube of the changes. I hope all is well with you? Has there been an increase in AD14/16 builders? Kind Regards Salvatore.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Hi Salvatore ! Good to hear the report on your boat. I had my AD16 (Tipsy) in the water a bunch last year and she sails and handles really nice. Like you I’m waiting for spring to get her in the water again.
Bogie

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you so much for your answer and that all is well on your side of the world. If you moved the mast a bit back does that mean it is exactly where you built the forward hatch which I also want to build ? Only Bogieman has built an Adelie lately and in a record time similar like you did. It is a pity that not more of these lovely boats are built because they are the ideal day sailboats for a whole family, trailer able by a small car and easy to sail single handed. The only disadvantage is that it is no sailboat for a race but who needs racing.
I am looking forward to sail with my new twin grand children in one or two years time.
Greetings from Karl

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Bogieman,
I looked for a picture of your boat couldn't find any? Like to see some pictures if that is possible, thankyou.

Hi Karl,
What picture are you looking at when you say forward hatch? The ad16 has a larger cabin top my forward hatch is big enough to fit me with life jacket on. This was only after I moved mast position back 1/2 a meter & added a large jib so that the sail to keel area was in balance. I don't suggest any one tries this unless they have a basic understanding of sailboat design.

I get about 4 1/2 knots out of my boat with 4 adults onboard with the increased sail area. Normal speed is about 2 knots in a mild breeze to windward. I am extremely happy with my ad16 she was easy to build and maintain. I have enjoyed sailing her these last 6 years and I. Have zero regrets. She has never thrown anyone overboard and highly recommend her for any one with children or special needs. We enjoy having coffee with cake as we sail along. I hope this answers' your questions.
Kind regards
Salvatore
20210220_130146.jpg
Attachments
20210220_130340.jpg
20210220_130206.jpg
20210220_130154.jpg

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Salvatore,
Thank you for your quick answer and so well documented with pictures. I built my companionway on my AD14 exactly according to plan and it is open between frame C and B with a sliding roof. My problem up to now was always to reach to the mast partner fittings. That is why I will cut a big enough hatch into the deck roof between frame B and A so I can get out through this hatch standing in the cabin and I can reach easily to the fittings at the mast partner. In principle it is like you have got it on your boat except that I will not move the masts position and the new hatch is an open hole between frame A and B. For the removable lid I plan to use a clear acrylic glass plate so that I have the added bonus of some more light besides the two windows in the cabin. I am rather small and this is why I have to make this extra exit to come near to the mast partner fittings. The alternative was up till now always to lie on deck like a beached whale. I wanted to know from you if you were happy with the extra exit point out of the boat which you had already before moving your mast. Your pictures definitely help me a lot because I see little details which I otherwise battle to think out for myself. I will post a picture of my new hatch as soon as I have finished it.
Greetings from Karl

Salvatore
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Salvatore »

Hi Karl,
No I was not. The two sliding hatch idea did not work the way I wanted. I made a full cut all the way to the mast, this was much better. I did this before I moved the mast position. I made a hatch that sat over the opening. on fair days I left the new hatch at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKsM6f84xNc

Please watch this old youtube I made a few years back and you can see the cutout went all the way to the mast.

All images of Angelina AD16
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... n&type=AND

Making Angelina video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQZZJgnWzk&t=9s