Substrate compatibility

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
drfeno
New Poster
New Poster

Substrate compatibility

Post by drfeno »

Hi, I'm painting an older boat using roll and tip, and I'm considering Sterling for the hull sides. I don't know what kind of paint is currently on the hull. I've seen write ups on the test for compatibility for 2 part paints for awlgrip. the issue is, I don't want to buy a very expensive container of reducer, only to find out I cant use the paint. is there another type of reducer that could prove or disprove the type of paint I currently have on the boat. I was thinking about just lacquer thinner. Much cheaper.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Substrate compatibility

Post by dbcrx »

Acetone will give a fairly good indication. It will dull or maybe even remove most one part paints whereas it shouldn't effect a 2 part.

Or just buy the paint you want to use. If it reacts when you test it you can still use it, you just have to sand off all the old paint.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Acetone flashes off very fast but will quickly dull must simple alkyd paints and hardly touch most 2 parts. Lacquer thinner is a blended solvent (contains acetone and other stuff) and is much slower to evaporate. I'd use it. It attacks most simple paints pretty quickly and will be easier to get an area wetter. You will get color off on a rag right away for most single part enamels. That would make the surface a poor choice for Alwgrip etc.

Bill
CT

drfeno
New Poster
New Poster

Post by drfeno »

Thanks for the advice.

I am trying to avoid removing all the old paint, so if the test fails, I'll be using a one part paint. The hull surface is in descent condition.

Thanks again