Learning to build a boat V12 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Learning to build a boat V12 build

Post by Corvidae »

Okies, had a small interruption, and a new daughter, but I did manage to get some progress on the boat.
The initial flip and stitch work went easily enough:
Everything held together nicely with all the wires removed and frames in place. I'm deviating from the plans a bit with an arched foredeck. Not really the best idea with the way the bow is shaped, because there's multiple curves going on. It took way too much finagling and some epoxy fillet build up to get shaped right.
Aside from getting that sorted, the inside seams are taped now:
Because of the support threads in the tape causing a railroad track texture, I did a light sanding to knock them down, then a paper thin fillet on top of that, leaving a nearly smooth surface. Also it should be easier to cover up my ametuer glass work on the edges of the tape.

Right now I'm waiting for a new coverall in the mail before I go sanding any more fiberglass. So I templated out the seats and foredeck.
They're cut out now so I'll be cleaning up that and the daggerboard box while I wait for the mail.

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Looks great, love the bow. Good progress too, keep it up.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

To those who haven't seen the plans: the dimensions for the seats are included. You don't need a mock up.

The cambered deck you added looks nice. It's a lot of work but it looks good.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cornelllawgroup
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cornelllawgroup »

I love your photos and descriptions. Are you taking a break? I want to see this all the way to water. I am a total beginner building a FL14. Gonna take it slow..,,,,,,

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Not so much taking a break as having a new born. I'm a bit cautious about working with fiberglass unless I know I won't need to handle the baby for a bit. So between that and other stacked up projects, the boat slowed down. I do have the seats rough cut out. I'm looking at options for making the back seat waterproof and still able to put things in there. Passengers are going to be intermittent, so places to stuff spare life jackets are handy.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Managed a few minutes of work to get the seats and fore deck epoxy coated and trimmed up.

The deck is just tied down so I could run a flush bit router around it. After I put the first layer of gunnel around it, I'll glue it down for good, and add a bead of fillet underneath after flipping the boat over. It's too far of a reach with the boat right side up. Right behind the frame it's supported by two layers of laminated 6mm that's 8 inches wide and forms the arch. That will be the real support for the mast. So I'm hoping I won't need to tape the deck itself, since it's not really structural, and it's hard to reach the interior.

Since we already have a spare lateen rig from a Sunfish, we're going to adapt it for the V12 once the deck is glued on. It should be interesting, since I already know the mast is going to need an extension, and there's a scraping issue on the boat it's on now when the sail is stowed. So I'll have to figure out how to prevent any unwanted wood damage.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Things are still inching along, and I might have finally figured out how to get more boat building time. The wife can't use her pottery kiln while there's a wooden boat sitting on it. So she's giving me more time to work on it. However, having gotten the foredeck mounted and rub rails wrapped and seats laid in, I'm about tired of working the inside of the boat. It's time for some outer hull work. Besides, having the boat up on saw horses made it nearly impossible to fair out around the daggerboard very well. It needs to be down on the floor or I need a trapeze or somethin.

I'm happy with the final shape of the foredeck, a bit disappointed with the meranti veneer I picked up for edging it out.

A light touch of the sander peeled off the top layer, so it's sanded down to the filler wood, which appears to be pine. It's not a total loss, it's just there to give a fair transition from the foredeck to the rub rail, and I was pretty sure it would have to be painted regardless. Still just a bit annoying.

Anyway, we got it out in the sunlight so my cat could get a better look at it. And I've been informed it floats well on grass.
I'm very impressed with how stiff the boat is at this point, given the bottom has no glass on it at all. I'm able to walk around in it on the grass with very little flex and no worrisome wood noises. I do think it's going to be a bit heavier than planned though. I'll have to see how that turns out, especially since we're going to put a layer of glass cloth on the bottom.

However, after further testing, it capsized and we were forced to return it to dry dock.

So now I can get to work on the bottom for a while. I think I'll need to rig up a shorter sawhorse system though. It's too high and not stable enough for vigorous sanding.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That's looking really good, nice fair curves.
Hank

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

Corvidae wrote:...So I'm hoping I won't need to tape the deck itself, since it's not really structural, and it's hard to reach the interior.

Put your tools on the ends of long sticks and it's easy. The putty knives are used to make the fillet (rounded one to fillet, flat one to clean up). The brush is used to apply the glass tape.

The tape is rolled up and dipped into epoxy to wet it out. Then, you put it on the fillet and use the brush on the stick to unroll it. Brush away from yourself and lift the brush before you pull it back.

It's much easier than it sounds and really works. That's how I taped the deck onto my kayak, and that's a looooong reach.

BTW, nice looking V12 so far. You'll have a blast with it. I'm still having fun with mine after all these years.

Laszlo

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's a beautiful kayak Laszlo 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose