Learning to build a boat V12 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Learning to build a boat V12 build

Post by Corvidae »

Wow, fantastic looking kayak. I'm not sure about tools on a stick though. I make a huge mess with the tools in my hands. We'll see if it comes to that, I used up some epoxy in there last night as I was taping the bottom, and it wasn't too hard to reach most of it.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Getting a lot closer on this build so I thought I should get some updates up here. Taping up the bottom went pretty smoothly, I ended up doing the transom last, probably should have been first, but I don't think it really matters by the time everything is built up.

Right about here should be a picture of the boat covered in 3.5oz per yard eglass. Great stuff, disappears like it's not even there once it's wetted out. I'll be putting some over the bits of transom that are going to be bright as well.

Of course all that tape required ridiculous amounts of fairing:
At least it does if you're as clueless about fairing as I am. Besides all that fairing gave me the quality sanding time that I've been lacking in my life. Or at least sanding time is now a significant portion of my lifespan, and I'd like to rationalize it was worth it.

Which brings us to where we are now, trying out a graphite coat for the bottom.

For the daggerboard case I used a pour method to get a glassy smooth graphite coat. For the bottom I'm using a foam roller, and honestly a bit disappointed. Tipping didn't seem help at all, the heat gun took out bubbles, but did nothing for the texture. I did add just a touch of microballon to this coat since I wanted it to fill in a few scratches from sanding, but there's no silica, so the mix flowed very well still. And yet the nap did not want to lay down. I'm wondering if maybe I used too much graphite? I used half a tablespoon per ounce.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm building a very similar boat, the V10, although without the sailing option.
The graphite coat seems to be something almost all of us have trouble with, but as Joel pointed out it is not a topcoat and not formulated to have a finished look. I know I wasn't happy with mine, even after carefully following Cracker Larry's method, but I've moved on. The build looks great, nice work :D. I'll be looking forward to your progress so please post updates.
Tony

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

I think I found the problem with the finish. I sanded out the fairing with 50 and 60 grit paper, because I was shaping more than sanding. I hit it with 120 grit before the second coat and the difference was immediately obvious.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Stealth V12? V12/ST 8)

Black topsides will sure get hot in Pompano Beach. Are you painting the topsides? :)

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Topside is going to be mainly halyard white with spar varnish on the rails. The bottom matches the black sail in the background. I have some red too, but we haven't figured where if any of it we're going to use. Possibly some trim work on the deck, or a stencil of this:

That's the flag that it will be flying, so either a copy of it, or something else in a similar style.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

So I've flipped the boat yet again to finish up the top, and quickly discovered that epoxy pigment sucks. After having the sticker shock of anti-fouling bottom paint (yeah I know I don't need it) I decided I'd just use some pigment to UV protect the top coat of epoxy and call it a done deal. Turns out that's a horrible idea. While graphite works amazingly well for coverage, apparently other pigments...not so much. First off ratio the product gave of 1oz. pigment to 32oz. of epoxy is about useless since there's no way I'm mixing up 32oz. in one go. Secondly, it doesn't scale down linearly, which I found out after attempting to use a bunch of it. And lastly, it seems to screw up the curing process and slows it down. I say seems to, but it has been a little bit cooler this week, so it might just be weather related. The clear epoxy I covered the rub rails with cured slower than usual as well, but not as slowly as the pigmented stuff.

It's been a challenging holiday week, but I think the end, and splash time, is in sight. Everything should be cured enough for a quick sand and coverage with some marine top side paint and spar varnish this week. The daggerboard and rudder are just about done as well.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

What colors are the topsides and inside?
I'm using a flag blue on the topsides, which is a very dark blue, and the inside will be an off-white. Looks like we have similar taste.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Check the application notes on whatever topsides paint and finish system you are using. Some *require* at least a week of cure in specific environmental conditions, before launching, while others might be launched the next day. You've come this far.... :D

The white pigments for epoxy need several coats for coverage, from what I've read here. I haven't used it myself. You might consider asking a specific question about it in the questions and support area. Give the name brand pigment and the epoxy brand you are blending it into in the posting. Also, feel free to ask the questions first on any final *finish* issues. Many are here regularly and are ready to help, possibly having used that pigment and your finishing system, while I haven't and might not pop in for another week. Have a happy and safe New Year. :)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Epoxy with pigment makes a pretty bad topcoat, is my experience. It's fine on the inside of things that don't need a finished look and won't be seeing any sunshine. But I'm not an expert.
Tony