Learning to build a boat V12 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Learning to build a boat V12 build

Post by jacquesmm »

You are correct. Pigmented resins are fine for the inside of closed compartments. It is not a pretty finish and the resin is sensitive to UV's.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

What colors are the topsides and inside?
It's all Halyard white liquid epoxy pigment. Yeah, it looks like multiple shades, but where it didn't bleed through from dark wood, it's a combination of off white like it should be and some spots where it decided it wanted to be a brighter white after tipping. The mix ratio is pretty sensitive and I had to add a lot more than recommended to get any coverage.

At this point, everything has plenty of epoxy coverage other than the rails where I want another coat before the varnish goes on. I figure a quick run of 100 grit will get a good surface for a top coat paint to adhere to. The only place that I'll probably use the pigment again is going to be the deck floor. I want to intentionally repeat the texture 'problem' I had on the outside to use as a friction surface. The problem I had was that I used a 3/8 roller instead of foam (thought tipping would remove the nap, boy was I wrong) and a bit too much filler over a rough sanding. Ugly for an outside, but should be the perfect texture for the deck. It was a good grip without being scratchy.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Depending on topsides paint, 120 grit may be more than enough without going to 100. There is a concern if your white pigment has teflon in it. If yes, I'd put another clear or two of epoxy (neat . no pigment), then 120 that, and then put some UV topcoat on that, even if its clear. Clear epoxy over tinted will change the color again, but no UV protection on a deck is not a good idea. Graphite in epoxy on a boat bottom seems to be protected enough, by usage reports here, but a deck gets blasted with sun (in Pompano Beach!). Get some UV topcoat over that tinted epoxy on the decks and exposed interior, unless its in a *locker*. Or better, two or three coats of topsides white of some shade, with UV protection, then clear if you want. My bare epoxy primer on my seat tops held up because I garaged or covered it when not actually out on the water. I do not recommend leaving bare epoxy primer, or white pigmented epoxy, unprotected, on seat tops, decks or exposed interior. It needs UV paint too, soon. I may need to prime again before painting my seat tops. Get that white epoxy protected. :)

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Since I was going to be sanding anyway I faired out some spots where tape weave or seams were still showing through a bit. The fairing shows through the first coat, but it's obvious the second coat will complete the coverage nicely. And all the same color!

Also the guy I'm building it for mentioned an outboard, so I added in the transom knees just in case.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

It's a boat! Ok, I should have done a few more in progress pics along the way. All in all though I'm happy with the results, and just as importantly so is the guy that bought the boat. So here's the last bits of the process:

All the clear wood is under 2 coats of epoxy and 3 coats of UV spar varnish. Sanded to 150 between epoxy coats and first varnish coat, then upped to 220 for the last couple coats.

A few days ago we did the fitting of the sail and attached almost all of our cleats. Because what project is complete without multiple trips to the hardware store at the last minute...

After that I whipped up the worst possible axe handle tiller. We also installed the waterproof port in the rear seat.

And that brings us to Launch day! :D

She sails like a dream, tacks with ease, and runs into the wind with no problem and a bit of gusto.

gtcoupe
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gtcoupe »

Beautiful work and I absolutely LOVE the skull and crossbones on the sail! :lol:
Completed: FL12 GV10
Next up: P19!
Doug

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Completely cool. Great work!! :D
I'm astounded at the speed it came together. I'm not even rigging it to sail and I'm months away from launch at the speed I'm going. If you have more pictures, please post.
One question: On the transom you have paint framing a bright panel. Did you put the varnish over both or stop at the paint?
Tony

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

On the back of the transom I varnished past the edge line that I wanted, then put a tape line on the dried varnish and painted back to that. As a method it worked fine. We're debating on painting over it though, either blacking out the back completely or making it a white panel with some sort of graphic or text.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks...it sure looks good. I have a more complicated plan but I think I will reconsider.
Very impressive build, particularly with a new baby, if I remember, in the middle of it all? I don't have any excuses like that.
I wasn't able to get okoume around here and had a hell of a time with the bow as meranti wasn't very cooperative. You seem to have gotten it done without a problem.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Bravo!
Very good looking. Nice sail, not as on the plans but that is what individual boat building is about: you have it your way.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com