2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2015

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2015

Post by majorgator »

It may be too early for any interest, but my family is already lining up our 2015 summer vacation plans. I don't want them to get too carried away without considering a potential builder's meet.

This year in Boca was fun, but I'll admit that it wasn't quite the same as previous years. Perhaps it was that fewer people showed, or the venue wasn't as good, or both, or something else entirely. To me, the facilities at The Innlet have gone downhill. Quite frankly, for the price I expect more than plastic-feeling sheets and a fridge barely big enough for a few sandwiches. But on the other hand, I LOVE Boca Grande for what it is.

Shall we consider some options for a different location? May I suggest Homosassa? There are a large number of places to stay there, between campgrounds with nice cabins and hotel/fishing lodge facilities. The area is very nice and the fishing is excellent there in June/July. Scallop season starts beginning of July usually, which would make it crowded. It wouldn't be unreasonable to find plenty of good places to stay there in early June. One good thing about the area is that it's small and virtually everything is nearby. Lots of eateries and stores. Easy place to get to. Beautiful river and nice short ride to the Gulf.

I have not seen the rooms at Macraes, though I imagine they're decent. If there is an interest, I would recommend taking a look at Camp N Water campground, which has cabins that sleep 4 for $107/night and sleep 6 for $127/night. I've been to this campground and can say that the property itself is nice. It has boat ramp and dockage, and the facility is large enough to host a group.

Thoughts/comments please?
Last edited by majorgator on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 2015 Southeast Builders Meet - TBD

Post by tech_support »

sounds good to me. I would love to have the actual meet party at a place more accessible to people just wanting to come check out boats.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sounds good to me also. It's a very nice area and centrally located.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

shine wrote: I would love to have the actual meet party at a place more accessible to people just wanting to come check out boats.
Oh yes.
That is a problem in Boca Grande.
I like the CampNWater place: good reviews and it has what we need: launch, dockage, pavillon rental, cabins for those who want, hotels near by, campground for my 5th wheel and Ken Owen's motorhome.
Let's check the dates so that they don't coincide with graduation parties or other school events.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

The key for anywhere in Homosassa is to book early. But even if that place fills up, there's so many other places down there. Let's see what other comments we get on it before investigating too much further. I drive by there at least 2 or 3 times a month, so I could easily stop in and take a better look at the cabins.
See my XF20 Build Thread

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Sounds good to me, someplace I've never been. I should be done by then.....If not, I'm dead or something... :lol:
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I like Homosassa, I think it is a perfect location for a builders meet 8)
Anyone up for doing one of these meets in the fall? Just to change it up, I'm about over this heat...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I'd be OK with a Fall meet. That's a great inshore/offshore fishing time around there. Another good time is around April/May. I'm OK with not doing it during the summer. To tell you the truth, summer time is the hardest time for me to schedule because we like to go places to get out of the heat 8)
See my XF20 Build Thread

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

The wild card here will be red tide :? If it keeps heading toward us then forget this location for a few years...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

The wild card here will be red tide If it keeps heading toward us then forget this location for a few years...
Hopefully that dies off real soon. It takes a long time for these small coastal GOM towns to rebound if the fishing shuts down for a year or 2 :(
See my XF20 Build Thread