New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

Post by Dustinwg »

Dougster wrote:How'd you do those reverse chines? Is that kerfed yellow pine?
Dougster: Yes sir, that is kerfed yellow pine. Got the idea from Super Dave's PH16; worked great!
terrulian wrote:Forgive my ignorance here, but what is white graphite? You are evidently not using a primer, so is the pigmented epoxy the final coat? What about UV protection?
The "white graphite" to my understanding, is applied the same way the regular black graphite is but I was looking for a white bottom. The actual name is Hexagonal Boron Nitride; once again information I got off this forum! Planning on applying directly over my pigmented epoxy, after a little more fairing (almost out of the woods). Only going to prime from the chines up.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks. Didn't know about that but since I already have the graphite I guess I'll stick with it. I'll be interested in seeing your results.
Tony

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

Cracker Larry wrote:Andrew, I'd slap him for that comment :lol:
I damn near begged him to put a tunnel in his :lol:

this is my idea of a perfect flats boat, after fishing in Boca Grande for a few years at the meets, this boat would be awesome down there

sorry for hijack…… build on :wink:
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Dustin,
Looks like the exact same motor I have on my P19, for most the same reasons, if your gonna just through that lower unit in the back of the garage throw it my way, shoot me a price. (what year is it)

Your build looks very nice!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Dustin, beautiful looking work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep the updates and pics coming.

Will

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

if your gonna just through that lower unit in the back of the garage throw it my way, shoot me a price. (what year is it)
Joe, I was planning on selling the lower unit for $1400; need some funds to help pay for the effort. The motor is either an '08 or '09, but it is straight out of the crate and even turned over.
Dustin, beautiful looking work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep the updates and pics coming.

Will
Will, just trying to keep up with you. . . and by the way hadn't seen anything from you lately. C'mon man, I need you to stay ahead of me so I can see my next step!!

Been wrapping up a few loose ends to get ready to graphite the bottom:

Sanded the seal coat down with 120 grit

Then did some touch up fairing and prepped the hull for graphite:

Thinking I can just do a quick sand tomorrow and get the graphite done this weekend.

Couple of questions before I pin the ears back:
What is the correct ratio for graphite to epoxy? Different ratio per coat?
I read on here that using a heat gun will help the graphite "self-level" and reduce air bubbles. Am I interpreting correctly?

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

What is the correct ratio for graphite to epoxy?
I'm not sure that a "correct" ratio has ever been established :lol: But I get best results with about 1/3 graphite to epoxy, by volume, not weight. 12 oz. epoxy, 4 oz graphite in a measuring cup.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Will, just trying to keep up with you. . . and by the way hadn't seen anything from you lately. C'mon man, I need you to stay ahead of me so I can see my next step!!
Dustin, I hope to have something picture-worthy soon...

I used the heat gun on my third and final epoxy coat. I was impressed with how nicely it smoothed things out.

Will

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Did the first coat of white graphite on the bottom Friday afternoon, but it did not turn out as expected. Not sure where I went wrong. The entire coat has what appears to be a grit, like sandpaper.

I rolled it on and tipped the entire bottom. I used 3 ounces of graphite in 12 ounces of epoxy. Any ideas on what went wrong? Could it have been that the graphite did not "dissolve" completely in the epoxy?

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

I imagine you were sure to sift the graphite and mix it well. I don't have any suggestions for you but if nothing pops up in this thread you may want to PM Casey (flyfishingmonk) and ask him. I have seen his hull and the white stuff was slick, flat, not gritty.