New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

Post by Chuck H »

Dustin,

TPWD has rules and regulations for homebuilt boats somewhere on their website. I haven't been able to find the exact page but I'll look again on a real computer. Maybe the dealer would accept that.

I'm pretty sure the formula is (length in feet x transom width in feet x2 ) -90 and I'm pretty sure that's a uscg thing.

Jets always seem louder than propeller outboards to me, have you demoed a 4 stroke jet to see if it's a $10000 quieter?

Be sure and add the expense of having your painting re-touched in your budget.

Chuck

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Ended up going ahead and getting the new 115 Four stroke. Nice thing about getting the factory jet is that is warranted under the factory warranty, and Yamaha was giving an additional 2 years of warranty when I purchased, so I have a total of 5 years of warranty on the new motor!

It is way quieter and you can feel the additional power when you lay into the throttle. Did get a small increase in speed of 3-5 mph as well, but I did the change to get away from the noise, 2-cycle oil and increased fuel economy so that was just a bonus.

As you can see in the photos, the 30% hp reduction due to the jet is accounted for with the hp shown on the motor. Also, got really lucky as you can see in the last picture. When the motor is tilted all the way up, the cowling is about 1/4" from the poling platform.

All in all really happy with the upgrade!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice :!: I bet that thing is a skinny water rocket.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yamaha's are great motors!! Looks great as well!! Jeff

Last bumped by Dustinwg on Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am.