Page 1 of 1

New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:45 pm
by Dustinwg
Alright, I have been hesitant to start a build thread, because I was worried I would spend too much time in front of the computer than working on the boat. I started building a PH18 a few months back, and have received a lot of help from this forum, so I felt bad not posting progress that could possibly push someone over the edge to get one going.

In a nut shell this boat is modified from the plan per the following:
- Installed a tunnel (per glassing/construction schedule from the XF20 tunnel, but per the design I received from Outboard Jets (Manufacturer of jet lower units)
- Installed reverse chines from transom to bow
- Rear deck to be flush (no motorwell)
- No skag

My goal is to be able to draft as little as possible; speed and fuel efficiency is not a priority for me.

Currently I am to the point that I am prepping to coat the bottom with "white graphite".

Here is where I am currently:

Pigmented Seal Coat (needed to see where I was and get a change of pace!)

View from the stern:

Re: New Braunfels - PH18 Jet

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 pm
by Dustinwg
Here is how I got there in Warp Speed:

Strongback:

Motor; Found in a barn, still in the crate. Looked hard for this motor as they quit making in either '09 or '10 but is nearly 100 lbs lighter than the closest new comparable. Still need to get the jet lower unit, so if anyone wants to buy a brand new lower unit let me know.

Jig Set-up:

Hull Stitched:

And Glued:

And Glassed; Did all wet-on-wet from advice from Cannonball and Cracker Larry (Helped to have Cannonball and another buddy)

Tunnel Cut, Glued & Glassed:

Reverse Chines Installed and Planed/Sanded;

Glassed Reverse Chines:

Sharpened Chines and Transom:

Fairing; (3) rounds of blended filler & (3) rounds of quick fair (no photos of quick fair as I got excited and covered it with pigmented epoxy.
Image.

To Now:

So that puts me up to speed. Sorry for so many photos, but I am more of a picture book kind of guy.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:20 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice :!: 8)

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm
by Dougster
Pretty work for sure. How'd you do those reverse chines? Is that kerfed yellow pine? It's neater work than I can do for sure and I'm glad to see another nearby builder. I'll be working in New Braunfels tomorrow, running around with a dang tie on instead of doing proper work like that :D

Down the road here in Blanco Dougster

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 am
by Walkers Run
Very nice work. I like your strong back.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 am
by Doc_Dyer
Glad to see someone building a phantom the way it should be built :wink:
looking forward to a performance report
Bradley

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:34 am
by Cracker Larry
Andrew, I'd slap him for that comment :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 am
by Jim_Davisson
Great looking work! Once I tear down and replace the sprag in my brothers transmission and wrap up a few other small projects, I can get going on my jet boat. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 am
by terrulian
Very clean and impressive work. I hope to achieve that level on my 10th boat. But for now:
Currently I am to the point that I am prepping to coat the bottom with "white graphite".
Forgive my ignorance here, but what is white graphite? You are evidently not using a primer, so is the pigmented epoxy the final coat? What about UV protection?

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:20 am
by Cannonball
Ya Hee!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:16 am
by Dustinwg
Dougster wrote:How'd you do those reverse chines? Is that kerfed yellow pine?
Dougster: Yes sir, that is kerfed yellow pine. Got the idea from Super Dave's PH16; worked great!
terrulian wrote:Forgive my ignorance here, but what is white graphite? You are evidently not using a primer, so is the pigmented epoxy the final coat? What about UV protection?
The "white graphite" to my understanding, is applied the same way the regular black graphite is but I was looking for a white bottom. The actual name is Hexagonal Boron Nitride; once again information I got off this forum! Planning on applying directly over my pigmented epoxy, after a little more fairing (almost out of the woods). Only going to prime from the chines up.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:48 am
by terrulian
Thanks. Didn't know about that but since I already have the graphite I guess I'll stick with it. I'll be interested in seeing your results.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 am
by Doc_Dyer
Cracker Larry wrote:Andrew, I'd slap him for that comment :lol:
I damn near begged him to put a tunnel in his :lol:

this is my idea of a perfect flats boat, after fishing in Boca Grande for a few years at the meets, this boat would be awesome down there

sorry for hijack…… build on :wink:

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:08 pm
by Joe H
Dustin,
Looks like the exact same motor I have on my P19, for most the same reasons, if your gonna just through that lower unit in the back of the garage throw it my way, shoot me a price. (what year is it)

Your build looks very nice!

Joe H

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 pm
by willg
Dustin, beautiful looking work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep the updates and pics coming.

Will

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:16 pm
by Dustinwg
if your gonna just through that lower unit in the back of the garage throw it my way, shoot me a price. (what year is it)
Joe, I was planning on selling the lower unit for $1400; need some funds to help pay for the effort. The motor is either an '08 or '09, but it is straight out of the crate and even turned over.
Dustin, beautiful looking work. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep the updates and pics coming.

Will
Will, just trying to keep up with you. . . and by the way hadn't seen anything from you lately. C'mon man, I need you to stay ahead of me so I can see my next step!!

Been wrapping up a few loose ends to get ready to graphite the bottom:

Sanded the seal coat down with 120 grit

Then did some touch up fairing and prepped the hull for graphite:

Thinking I can just do a quick sand tomorrow and get the graphite done this weekend.

Couple of questions before I pin the ears back:
What is the correct ratio for graphite to epoxy? Different ratio per coat?
I read on here that using a heat gun will help the graphite "self-level" and reduce air bubbles. Am I interpreting correctly?

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 pm
by Cracker Larry
What is the correct ratio for graphite to epoxy?
I'm not sure that a "correct" ratio has ever been established :lol: But I get best results with about 1/3 graphite to epoxy, by volume, not weight. 12 oz. epoxy, 4 oz graphite in a measuring cup.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 pm
by willg
Will, just trying to keep up with you. . . and by the way hadn't seen anything from you lately. C'mon man, I need you to stay ahead of me so I can see my next step!!
Dustin, I hope to have something picture-worthy soon...

I used the heat gun on my third and final epoxy coat. I was impressed with how nicely it smoothed things out.

Will

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:42 am
by Dustinwg
Did the first coat of white graphite on the bottom Friday afternoon, but it did not turn out as expected. Not sure where I went wrong. The entire coat has what appears to be a grit, like sandpaper.

I rolled it on and tipped the entire bottom. I used 3 ounces of graphite in 12 ounces of epoxy. Any ideas on what went wrong? Could it have been that the graphite did not "dissolve" completely in the epoxy?

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 am
by willg
I imagine you were sure to sift the graphite and mix it well. I don't have any suggestions for you but if nothing pops up in this thread you may want to PM Casey (flyfishingmonk) and ask him. I have seen his hull and the white stuff was slick, flat, not gritty.

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:22 am
by jorgepease
wonder if you could use something like that as nonskid on a deck?!!

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am
by Cannonball
Mmmmm. Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that whole sifting thing. I'll be in town this weekend. Andale, puro wet sand y lo hechamos otra vez.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 am
by Dustinwg
Finally got the bottom to an acceptable finish. Used white graphite mixed with white pigment. Ended up with 6 coats on the bottom. Sanded down with 120 grit between each coat. My plan is to have the whole boat painted.

I am not 100% happy with the final finish (i.e. air bubbles, opaqueness, etc), so when the rest of the boat is painted, the bottom will also be painted white. I am hoping the white paint over the white graphite will hide any scratches on the bottom of the boat.

Glad to finally be done sanding/fairing the hull for now and planning on flipping the week of Christmas. Can't wait to start building again.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am
by Wouter
That's looking really good!

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:54 pm
by Cannonball
Good 'nuff for a bottom job, I'd call it done!

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm
by willg
Looks pretty dang nice to me, Dustin.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice 8)

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:59 pm
by Dustinwg
Got the boat flipped over and ready to get going on the interior glassing. Had a minor set back though, as I removed bulkheads and stringers to roll the hull, I pulled a bonehead maneuver by tossing a stringer in the yard and breaking it in half. Not a big deal, but still a pain to glass it back together, oh well.

Hull flipped and getting cleaned up.

Instead of installing a 1" thick piece of Mahogany per plan, I cut out two additional sheets of 1/2" and laminated the entire transom for reinforcing.

Planning on getting her all cleaned up and filleting all the corners tomorrow and glass the interior new years day, that is the plan at least!

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:24 am
by BarraMan
Looking good!

I too plan to paint over graphite/epoxy bottom.

Build on! :lol:

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:47 pm
by Dustinwg
Got the interior glassing done New Years Day . . . hangover and all!

Pretty pleased with the results:

I do have a question though regarding the alignment now with the bulkheads and the sheer. The port sheer of the boat is not in alignment with many of the bulkheads.

What is the best way to remedy this? I am thinking that sucking it up with a strap to the bulkheads would get it there, but I am worried that it would cause a wave in the sheer. Any suggestions?

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:07 pm
by SmokyMountain
I had the same problem and used straps. The top of the sheer will still be a little "wavy" between the bulkheads but will straighten up when you install the sheer clamp. I had the same worries. Also, make sure you don't have any hard point between the bulkheads and the hull. I believe I used dowels or some homemade shims so the bulkheads could float while filleting.

Boat looks great!!! You will love it!! 8) 8)

Andy

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 am
by willg
Dustin, congrats on your progress. Looking good.

I will echo what Andy said about straps and waviness in the sheer. I used several straps at various points to keep the sides against the bulkheads until they were each taped into place. With the straps you can tweak it until it's just right. I have a subtle curving in at the sheer at bulkhead D which I didn't notice until the taping was done, but it's very slight and the amount of curve is similar port/starboard. You'll wind up needing to round off the bulkhead corners at the chine to get spacing from the hull panels, and that will help the sides pull in with the straps.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:52 am
by Dustinwg
Andy/Will,

Thanks for the input, the size of the gap had me worried!

Andy, now that you have had yours done for awhile now, what kind of draft are you seeing with yours?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 am
by SmokyMountain
Andy, now that you have had yours done for awhile now, what kind of draft are you seeing with yours?
I would say with one / two person around 6 inches. (I will measure next time I'm out, which will be a little while because it's cold..) I can get on plane with the trim tabs down and the jack plate up 3"-3.5" in around a 1ft plus of water and stay on plane at around 10-11 mph. If you can swing it, a automatic jack plate is gold... of course yours will be a little different with a tunnel.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 pm
by Dustinwg
Got all the stringers tabbed and glassed over the weekend, but I have a question regarding glassing the inside of the stringer boxes.

The way I am reading it I am supposed to glass the stringers and bulkheads to the hull and each other using 6" tape and then over that with 12 oz cloth to the top of the stringers. Am I reading this correctly (i.e. Do I need to glass over everything with 12 oz cloth in each stringer box to the top of the stringers)?

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 pm
by jacquesmm
I almost missed this question.
The standard procedure is to remove all the inside and apply the fiberglass in one shot.
Many builders have done ti one compartment at a time but it is cleaner and stringer to do it in one piece.

If the question is the seam between floor frames and stringers: yes, you tab with at least one layer of tape.
No need to cover the stringers completely or to go over the top of the stringers.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm
by Dustinwg
I did glass the entire inside in one shot, and glassed the stingers in with tape on both sides of the stringers.

So based on that all I would need to do is glass the frames in with tape and all below deck glassing would be done, right?

Thanks for you help.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:23 am
by Dustinwg
Got some work done over the last few weeks.

Stringers In.

Glassed the interior sheer.

And fitted and tabbed in 4 of the 5 bulkheads.

Hoping to fillet and glass the bulkheads this weekend.

I had a buddy over at the house this weekend that is a home builder in the local area, and we started talking about the foam to fill the under deck areas. He said they have been insulating houses alot now with both open and closed cell foam and his subcontractor could knock this out quickly at a reasonable price.

Does anyone know of any issues with having them spray foam (closed cell) rather than using the foam normally used?

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:54 am
by Cracker Larry
That's some nice clean work there 8)

On the foam, I would want to know it's weight per cubic foot, and I would get a piece and test how it acts with gasoline, oils and water. I've never seen any house foam I'd use in a boat, but there are things I haven't seen. I'd test it real good before saving a few bucks over doing it right. There is something about that label that says "USCG approved buoyancy foam" that gives me a fuzzier feeling than house insulation foam.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:30 am
by Dustinwg
Well progress screeched to a hault during the month of March, as my wife and I had our first baby girl at the end of February. Man, a baby can sure bring the hope of working on a boat down in a ball of flames, but I am very happy to report I have a happy and healthy baby girl and mom! In fact my wife likes to give me a hard time because she made a person faster than I can build a boat!

Anyways, back at it again with a little progress to report:

Got the sheer clamps installed via 2 layers of laminated 1/2" ply and the planed down with a power planer

And filled gaps

Glassed all the bulkheads in with the exception of Bulkhead C (working on the template for the rod holders)

Got the template for bulkhead C and rod holders almost where I want it. Just need to clean up a bit and transfer over and cut from the good plywood.

Hoping to get C glassed in this week and then start working on cleats and epoxy coating the exposed wood on the stringers and bulkheads.

Also been working on getting the jet drive ordered along with all the parts. They build each unit individually once you order, so it takes several months to get once it is ordered.

For the console I am planning on building a pretty custom set up with a pod helm (concealed steering pump and throttle control assembly) similar to that on a large Palm beach style sport fishing boat, with a pop up electronics box. So with that said I have started talking with a local machinist to work out the particulars on all the linkage so I make sure to lay out the chase tubes where they need to go.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm
by Wouter
The boat is looking great!

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:58 pm
by Dustinwg
Been trying to get back after it lately.

Got the final design done on the rod holders and then laminated an additional layer of 3/8 on either side of bulkhead C and rounded all the corners.

Got the courage up to drill through the hull for the bow eye, filled it and installed a block for added strength.

Did a seal coat over the entire interior, and starting to install all of the cleats.

About to start installing chase tubes and plumbing and looking for any advice anyone has on chase tube sizing for motor cables, hydraulic lines for steering and fuel lines.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:45 pm
by willg
Looks great, Dustin.

Tube-wise, what I did was 2" x 2 from transom to console on one side, 1 1/2" from transom to console on the other side, 1 1/2" from transom to bow, and 1" for the 3/8" ID fuel line (my fuel line goes through easily even through all curves).

Congratulations on your baby girl!

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:25 pm
by MarkOrge
How is the Phantom coming? I am a fan....

Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:02 pm
by Cracker Larry
Wow, I missed this one. That is beautiful glass work :!:

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 pm
by Dustinwg
Been working slowly but surely lately.

Got the Chase tubes in and about 90% of the drains.

About 70% done with foam. I have a little more done that what is in the photos. Also, the area in front of the console between the two inner stringers is going to be a fish box, with a hatch in the sole. I put a layer of 3/4" Styrofoam down, installed 3/8" plywood on top of that and then glassed the whole inside of this compartment. With all that insulation around it, it should be as good as a Yeti.

And got a mock up console built. I am going to have a pod helm (concealed steering pump and throttle assembly)

Something similar to this is what I am planning on building for the console, but all painted (no teak).

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:19 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very nice 8) You can't buy a boat in a store made that well, not anywhere.

That steering pod looks familiar :D

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:13 pm
by willg
Really nice progress, Dustin. It's all looking great, and I've got to say you are very good at cutting the foam tops.

Running the boat looks like it will be very ergonomic while you are standing. How will it be while you're sitting down? Are you going to use a tilt helm, or is there any need for one? Or are you using a leaning post? Just curious.

Will

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:15 pm
by Dustinwg
Appreciate the kind words! The reason I decided to build a boat is because I couldn't find a production boat that had everything I wanted, and I didn't want a boat that you see all over the place. And yes I took a few notes from your last build Cracker!!

Will, cutting the foam down is a pain!! That's why I was hoping you found some new easy way to shave it down. But I do not plan on sitting while running this boat, because I want to be running skinny with the jet and you have to stay on your toes. Also, all the flats I plan on fishing are not far from ramps, so I do t plan on running real far to get to fish.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:33 pm
by Dustinwg
Getting close to getting the entire sole glued down. Only have to finish cutting out a couple more pieces, but before I glue down the large portion of the sole (under the console) I have a question regarding the foam. Would it change the ride/deck stiffness if I leave the foam out under the console, between the inner stringers (between bulk heads C & D)? All other stringer boxes are foamed, with the exception of the one directly in from of this one for the fish box. I have a check valve for the fish box drain and am wanting to leave access to this plumbing and not foam this section. Thoughts?

Got all the under deck livewell/beer box plumbing in and recessed the drains.

And started prepping the front two hatches to paint with tinted epoxy.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:12 am
by Cracker Larry
Mighty fine looking work 8)

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 pm
by MarkOrge
What CL said - nice work !

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Well thought out. I did a "Palm beach " style side mount control recently if you are looking to do that on yours.

I can get better pics of the finished product and walk you through how I did it if you decide to go that way

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am
by Dustinwg
Daytrip,

Yes I am planning on installing a palm beach throttle control through the starboard side of the pod. I actually just got my parts back from a machinist a couple weeks ago, since the only systems I could find were either electronic or hynautic, both of which were designed for large sport fishing boats and cost thousands of dollars.

If you have photos, by all means please post them so I can see a working model. I will post photos when I get home of my set up so I can compare to your set-up.

Essentially I took a Morse MT-3 control, had the shaft turned down slick, and keyway cut in it. Then the machinist built a shaft extension to marry up to the Morse control and extend out to the sprocket that came with the Ornargo control like you have in your photo. Also, I had him fabricate (3) stainless steel plates that mount on the inside of the console that will accept machine screws from the existing holes in the Morse control. I know this is hard to visualize, so I will post photos later.

Also, planning on installing a concealed mount steering pump so all that is exposed outside of the console is the shaft connecting to the steering wheel.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:31 pm
by Dustinwg
Here are the photos to explain the what I was trying to describe.

This is how the throttle started

Here is the exploded version of the parts after

Close up of the turned existing shaft with key way and shaft extension

Close up of the shaft extension with spline to marry up to the new throttle handle

All assembled

All assembled with plates in place. Plates will mount to the inside of the pod console and have tapped holes that align with existing holes in the body of throttle assembly.

So with all that said I am hoping it ends up something like this, but with only one throttle on the starboard side.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you Daytrip, since you have put one of these together.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:23 pm
by DAYTRIP
Well, we got to the same place just went a little different path. This is a link to the thread where it showed the steps I took. Also used under mount helm. http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 6&start=50 Page 6 is where the pics show. Instead of having things machined I bought one of the MT3 replcement handles, had the area cut off then had a key way stock welded on. Works great. To mount it I epoxied a piece of mahagonyto the inside of the console and screwed the control to that from the inside. The only thing I should have done in retrospect was buy the lever with the bow thruster switch in it so I could have used it for trim. If I can help let me know.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:31 pm
by DAYTRIP
Couple of the finished product.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 pm
by Dustinwg
Ok guys, I have a question. I am about to glue down the cockpit sole but think I may have an issue with the cockpit drains. I am planning on using two 1 1/2" drains at sole level (one on either side), through bulkhed D and go straight out back through the transom as shown on the plans.I plan on using 1 1/2" rubber hose and thru hull fittings. The drain lines will run right above the sole.

With the angle of the transom, there will be a slight hump in the drain line right forward of the transom because the thru hull will not be at a 90 degree angle to the sole. Will this prevent the deck drain from draining properly?

Thoughts?

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 pm
by Dustinwg
Little progress update to report:

Got the sole fitted, hatches cut in and sole glued in, (large hatch for fish box in floor and round screw hatch to access check valve in drain line for fish box. Screw hatch will be hidden inside console)

Filleted and taped sole in-place.

Mounted the fuel tank and installed front hatch drain (will drain onto the cockpit floor)

Fitted sole in bilge area. Screw hatch to port allows access to livewell pump and to starboard the livewells/fishbox drains. Just have a little more figuring on the plumbing before permanently installing small sole pieces.

Oh ya, and in between capitalized on an epic ling bite.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:40 pm
by Jim_Davisson
Build looks stellar and great catch!!

BTW, Cockpit drains should be fine.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:25 am
by Dustinwg
Been working pretty heavily lately on the console design and finally moved on from the mock-up to the real thing.

Framed out the livewells/beer coolers and fit the hatches. It's hard to see from this photo, but I left a minimum of 2" around the compartments to pour foam into, so essentially I will have built in YETIs! (Well that is the plan at least). Also, got the sole of the cockpit glassed and a first pass of sanding done.

Got the helm pod and console built, and glassed the console. Still working on final fitting on the helm pod before final install into the console. Built the helm pod by kerf cutting the back side two layers of 1/4" ply to make the radius and laminated together. Pretty happy with the results!! Still need to cut the front side of the console to get the pop-up electronics box done, but all the framing to support the pop-up is there already. Just need to have a few cocktails to gather the courage to actually make the cuts.

One opinion question though to all you builders out there. I originally mocked up the helm pod and it was about 2" lower than it is now (see previous photos). I built it taller because when I installed the throttle assembly, the lever would hit the console before getting to wide open. What are your thoughts on the taller helm pod? Like it how it is or should I cut it down and figure out how to sort out the throttle issue?

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:41 am
by Cracker Larry
Very nice. I like it as it is, good proportions. Are you going to do a natural finish on the pod?

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 am
by Noles309
It looks real good to me. 8) It it tall enough to stand and drive? It's kind of hard to get perspective from the pics.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:20 am
by jorgepease
looks good to me too but the height does look low if you stand, I guess the helm will add three inches though.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:31 am
by Dustinwg
I am just going to glass and paint it. I thought about doing the natural finish, but the level of fit and finish required to make that look good is beyond the effort/head scratching I want to put in to it.

To give a little perspective the console itself is 2 foot tall and the pod stands roughly 4-6" above that. The steering wheel is basically where it will be once installed (I am going to install a rear mount steering pump like Cracker did on his last build), so add another 4-6" for the wheel and overall it puts the wheel at about 3 foot.

I set it up to stand and drive so when you stand behind the console the wheel is a little below my waist.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 pm
by DAYTRIP
Looks great! Nice work.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:31 pm
by Fuzz
That sure is some nice looking glass work.
Fuzz

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:04 pm
by willg
Really looks nice, Dustin. How did you make the curved front of the steering pod?

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 am
by Dustinwg
Will, I cut the sides of the pod out of two pieces of 3/8" laminated together, and mounted them to a jig to keep them straight. Then kerf cut the back side of two layers of 1/4" ply to be able to bed it around the radius and glued it all together.

Once everything dried I filled the kerf cuts with wood flour and sanded it all down. Still need to radius the corners on the pod and glass it in.

Thanks for the kind words, I am pretty happy with the results!

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:04 pm
by MarkOrge
nice work - I like it - looks very "custom"

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 pm
by cvincent
Beautiful work, I like your helm pod design.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:15 pm
by Dustinwg
Started working on the rod tubes with a few tips off the ole inter-web. Read up on how to build my own tubes with a rolled face to make a clean look, with PVC (aka CHEAP!).

Started off with a chrome shower head flange mounted to a piece of plywood. Bought for a couple bucks at Home Depot.

Then took a piece of thin-wall 1 1/2" PVC over the top of the shower head flange. The key here is the thin-wall PVC as your standard schedule 40 won't work. Once over the flange, take a heat gun and begin to heat up the flange and while twisting the PVC.

As you twist the PVC begin to apply downward force. After a minute or so the end will begin to flare out and then back up, like this.

Once you are done, pull it off the flange and dip into water to cool the PVC and it will become rigid and give a nice rounded contour to help rod eyes go in and out of the tube easier.

I test fit the tube in a scrap piece of plywood and was really pumped with the result.

Compared to trying to buy a pre-fab tube like this, this was way cheaper and turned out great!

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 pm
by BarraMan
Now that is SERIOUSLY clever! :D I've just gotta try it! :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:57 am
by Cracker Larry
Well done 8)

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 pm
by Noles309
That is clean looking. Makes me want to rip mine out and re-do it...

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:54 pm
by blueflood
Hi Dustinwg,

8) Slick !!

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:31 pm
by pee wee
That makes a nice, neat looking rod tube- I had it bookmarked and if anybody else wants the long version of it go to: http://www.microskiff.com/threads/cheap ... ubes.3160/

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:45 pm
by jorgepease
wow! excellent!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm
by DAYTRIP
That is slick! Thanks for sharing that. Great work

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:34 pm
by Dustinwg
I wish I could take credit for the idea...I found the same link pee wee did, but wasn't sure if Bateau would be too keen on me advertising another boat building website on their forum. I bleed Bateau blue!!

I wanted to share with everyone because it was relatively simple and produced a nice result!

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:12 pm
by willg
That is way cool.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 am
by pee wee
I don't remember by who or when, but it had been posted here before (that's how I knew about it).

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:58 pm
by Dustinwg
Alright got some rub rail samples in and thinking I want do rigid vinyl with stainless inserts. Any input/experience with rigid vinyl on a turn as sharp as the point of the bow?

Also, opinions on the two options below? Right is Tessilmare Sphera and left is Taco rigid vinyl with insert.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:11 pm
by jacquesmm
Do you have an inwale (= a batten inside along the sheer)?
If not, you"ll need a laminated wood rubrail and on top of that, you"ll put the rubrail, whichever one you prefer.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:57 pm
by Dustinwg
Yes I have a 1x2 sheer clamp on th inside of the sheer.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:36 am
by Dustinwg
Been working out the details lately on the electronics pop up on the console lately and have a mock-up completed.

View from the driving position

View from the front of the console; used a concealed SS piano hinge.

Electronics pop-up closed position

Inside of console while closed

Fit the throttle assembly to the pod

Also in progress of getting the deck supports installed.

Finally, got a special delivery a couple weeks ago. Ty from Tex-All delivered the trailer to me.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:24 pm
by jorgepease
I like that popup idea, would like to try something like that for my entire console. Don't understand why all electronics couldn't just fit into an ipad like device.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:43 am
by Dustinwg
Hit a big milestone over the last couple weeks.

Got the decks glued down ready for glass

Dry fit the jack plate w/ splash plate designed specifically for a jet.

Installed the jet lower unit on the motor and dry fit the motor to the transom to make sure everything lines up the way it is supposed to, and it all worked out believe it or not!

Pretty fired up about it, as it is starting to look like a boat!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 pm
by peter-curacao
Dustin very cool console, don't know if you already bought you electronics and actuator for the popup also don't know if you use electric or hydraulics, if electric I can recommend this company, their stuff I used in my console still going strong in this harsh climate. 8) https://www.firgelliauto.com/

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:17 pm
by Dustinwg
Peter, thanks for the info!

I was thinking about using an actuator, but I everywhere else I looked the cost of the actuator was ridiculous, so I had conceded to go with a simple hatch support, but seeing the pricing on the website you sent makes me want to go with an acuator.

Do you have any photos of how you installed them on your boat? And what size actuator did you use (stroke and lbs)? Not sure how to mount and figure stroke length.

Thanks again for the info.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:00 pm
by peter-curacao
Dustinwg wrote:Peter, thanks for the info!

I was thinking about using an actuator, but I everywhere else I looked the cost of the actuator was ridiculous, so I had conceded to go with a simple hatch support, but seeing the pricing on the website you sent makes me want to go with an acuator.

Do you have any photos of how you installed them on your boat? And what size actuator did you use (stroke and lbs)? Not sure how to mount and figure stroke length.

Thanks again for the info.
Mine is placed in a very simple way, I used a fairly heavy one with a big stroke but thats purely because I used mine for the console door, someone can sit on it and I still can open it, you don't need that much power. Easiest thing for you to do I think is temporally mount everything you wanna have in there in, then push or pull it up using a scale at the point you want to mount the actuator that will give you the minimum torque you need, after that just measure the open and closed distance between the weighing point and the point you wanna mount the other end of the actuator, that wil give you the stroke, difficult to explain in words hope you understand.

Here a couple of pics and a vid of mine, actuator is were it says "No Step"

[youtube]https://youtu.be/nAoAaDIcmnc[/youtube]

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:37 am
by Dustinwg
Peter, that turned out great! And I am surprised how fast the actuator operates.

Did you set the stop points of the actuator, or are you using the preset stop points?

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 am
by peter-curacao
Dustinwg wrote:Peter, that turned out great! And I am surprised how fast the actuator operates.

Did you set the stop points of the actuator, or are you using the preset stop points?
There's a whole bunch of options you can choose from, you can choose the speed of the actuator, there are also high speed actuators those will open your console like a jack in the box, mine only has fixed end switches which means fully open or fully closed, but it stops where ever I want once I release the switch or remote control, But you can find them with adjustable end switches also, just browse the site there are a bunch of fun control options 8) I believe they even have specialized boat hatch actuators.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:41 pm
by Dustinwg
Lot of work done, but very little can be seen from photos.

Got the hatches/gutters glued and faired in and glassed and sanded the deck.

Moving on to get an integrated toe rail and stainless steel rub rail and getting the two rear hatches faired and painted with tinted epoxy. Man I'm ready to get this thing off to paint!!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:40 am
by Dustinwg
Well for the first time the boat actually left the house for a little while! Got the boat on the trailer this weekend, and off of the strong back!!

One question though, I still have work to do on the boat while it is on the trailer. With sanding still to do, has anyone had any issues with their trailer from fiberglass dust/saw dust?

Boat suspended off of strong back.

And on the Trailer.

Took the boat over to my dad's shop for some detail work on the toe rails and rub rails. Got the rough shape of the toe rails cut out.

And I have decided to make my own rub rail. This is the profile I think I have decided to use. I will install 1/2" SS rub rail on top of this.

This is the look I am going for

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:53 am
by topwater
Thats going to be a sweet phantom :!: Nice clean lines .

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:05 am
by cape man
One question though, I still have work to do on the boat while it is on the trailer. With sanding still to do, has anyone had any issues with their trailer from fiberglass dust/saw dust?
Can't see how this could possibly be an issue. If your worried just rinse the trailer real good when done before hitting the road.

Good looking build!

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 am
by Dustinwg
I did not think it would be a problem, but didn't know if anyone had ever seen any issues with fiberglass dust and aluminum and/or getting into bearings or anything like that.

That dust goes everywhere!

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:42 am
by cape man
We get more dust on some of our roads in Florida, especially during the dry season. If you are still worried, just tape up the seals on the inside till your done.

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:05 pm
by Dustinwg
I have a question regarding rigging. I want to have all the cables, wiring and fuel line to the motor run through a rigging tube like this:

But I have an '08 90 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, that does not come stock with a grommet to accept a rigging tube like the one above.

This is the grommet that the motor came with.

I purchased a rigging grommet for a 115 hp that would accept a rigging tube, thinking I might be able to modify it to fit, but it is not anywhere close to being able to fit where that rubber grommet is. Has anyone ever found a grommet or figured a way to accomplish this on a 90 Yamaha 2-stroke?

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 am
by deuce_454
.. you can (i know its not what you were looking for) have the boss-lady sew a side opening sleeve in neoprene with a zipper or velcro... or buy cable sleeving on eBay....

alternatively you can cast the adapter you are looking for in 2 part polyurethane of you are especially crafty..... id just buy the sleeving

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:20 pm
by Rickk
Walmart carries TH-zippered rigging sleeves

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:31 pm
by Cracker Larry
Has anyone ever found a grommet or figured a way to accomplish this on a 90 Yamaha 2-stroke?
If it was a 4 stroke you could use the rigging tube you pictured, but not a 2 stroke. I used spiral cable wrap on my (now Tom's) 70 2 stroke.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:00 am
by Dustinwg
I've looked everywhere but pretty much figured I was SOL... I'm not giving up but I am going to figure on using the zipper sleeve

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:24 pm
by Browndog
Really nice looking build. Will be starting an FS 19 soon. Really like the look of your in deck hatches. I'm curious. Where did you get your hatches from?

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:46 am
by Dustinwg
I ordered the hatches from Bateau, but I believe the guy they had making them quit building them. I believe I read somewhere on the site though that Daytrip started building some and might be building them for Bateau now. I am very happy with the quality and look of them over the standard plastic hatch.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:44 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, I am going to start a "Build Photo Section" on our Boat Builder Central website and would very much like to use some of your build photo's of the PH18 Jet, are you ok with me using them? The boat is really looking good!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am
by Jeff
You are correct, we lost our contact who was building the deck hatches for us and we are now looking for a new provider. I will touch base with Daytrip and get a look at what he is building!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 pm
by Dustinwg
Jeff, no problem using photos, that would be pretty cool to see photos of my build there!

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm
by Jeff
Thank you!! I will shoot you a note once posted!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:55 pm
by Dustinwg
I have still not given up on being able to have a rigging grommet that accepts a threaded rigging tube...I guess I'm just hard headed and it pisses me off that I can't figure out a way to make this work. I tried heating up the plastic on the rigging grommet to see if I could form it to fit in my motor, but that just turned $20 into a hot black pile of goo.

Back to the drawing board and I started to think about other options. My thought at this point is to try to find a 3D printing company to see if I could just have a one-off part made. Does anyone out there have any experience with 3D printed parts and/or their cost/durability?

I was thinking if I could not find a company that can do it, I might try to find a technical school that might want to take the project on as part of one of their class...

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:26 pm
by Dustinwg
Well I think I have the solution to the rigging grommet...I found a 3D printing shop a little north of here in Austin and they said they can design and make the part, especially if I can bring them the two parts that I am trying to marry up.

They said they can make the part out of ABS plastic and build it in layers perpendicular to the thread orientation to maximize strength. If this works, they would have the design on file and be able to reproduce for others without the design cost, so if anyone else is trying do this also I could have more made for the cost of printing.

Just waiting to receive the replacement grommet that I melted to take to the designer...will upload photos if this ends up working out.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:49 am
by jorgepease
can't wait to see that. love 3d printing

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:03 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, Yes, please send us photos when they finish as I am interested to see the result!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 am
by Dustinwg
Met with the 3D printer earlier this week and they think it will work. Also got to hold a piece of the printed ABS plastic in my hand, and I do have to say it feels strong.

They sent me the initial CAD drawings today and they look pretty good. Had a couple small adjustments, but I hope to have the part in hand next week.

Pretty cool stuff huh?

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 am
by Jeff
Really cool!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am
by jorgepease
Nice!! Im dying to get into 3 D printing, This is a perfect example of the type of things to make!! ))

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's as slick as an eel's pecker 8)

A friend of mine in Charleston got into that recently and is making all kinds of cool things. He even built his own 3D printer! That is way over my head, but might need to learn more about it. Looks like an interesting new hobby. I like learning new stuff.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:57 pm
by Dustinwg
Well I got the new grommet from the 3D printer today, and have to say pretty happy with the results. Had to do some minor adjustments with some sand paper but got it to fit and it feels strong.

The center grommet is the one that was printed, the smaller one is the original rubber grommet out of the motor and the largest is the one that was supposed to fit a 115 hp Yamaha.

Installed on the motor, first without rigging hose and second with the rigging hose attached.

¡Puro Custom!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 am
by willg
Very cool! Your perseverence has really paid off. I bet you're happy.

Now let's see some build pics!

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 am
by Fuzz
That is neat, neat :!: I wish somebody around here could do that.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 am
by Jeff
Great solution!! It would not look better if it had come from the factory!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:04 pm
by jorgepease
That is fantastic!! Love it, so wanted one on my old F75

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:24 pm
by Dustinwg
Been working on getting the toe rail and rub rail glued in.

Got the profile of the rub rail and toe rail and glued in place. This really helped iron out any wavy areas I had on the deck.

Installed a sample piece of the 1/2" stainless and like the way it looks

Also, got the flush mount bow light dry fit:

Down:

Up:

Just need to fill the holes and then going to glass over the toe rail and rub rail with some 6 oz glass.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:00 pm
by Jeff
The rub rail and toe rail look really nice, very professional!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 am
by Gino
Would you please post or email the info on the Austin 3D printing company. I want to modify my Yamaha 115 hp and I also have some ideas for work projects.

Thanks
Gino

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am
by Dustinwg
The 3D Printer was Solid Prototype LLC; Phone: (512)614-2680 Website: http://www.solidprototype.com

The rigging tube I purchased as a model was for a 115 Yamaha 2 Stroke. Now that I have the part made I don't need it any more; if I can find it, I can mail it to you if you want it.

It is way cheaper to buy already manufactured parts if they are available; to the tune of about 2000%!!

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:55 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, You can now see your boat on our main website at boatbuildercentral.com!! Great looking boat and fantastic console!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:01 pm
by Dustinwg
Wow, that's awesome! Wish I had some update photos, but been getting ready to head off to Costa Rica to chase after a few blue Martians!

Went earlier this year on the 31 Bertram my in laws took down and put a pretty good hurtin on some sailfish. Pretty fired up as the Marlin bite has been hot! Hope to have an update for y'all that doesn't involve sanding fiberglass!!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FgPFo6IVsM0[/youtube]

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:44 am
by Jeff
Catch some fish and enjoy Costa Rica!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:52 am
by poleposition
This was my nephews' report from last week:

July 29 at 10:05pm · La Mona, Costa Rica ·
Fished a day and a half this week In Costa Rica and we caught 10 blue Marlin and a stripey..... Saw close to 30 had 22 bites. Unreal.
Thank you Plan B.

Obviously, the marlin bite is strong right now. The sailfishing in Feb. borders on absurd....

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 am
by Dustinwg
That's an awesome trip! I talked to some friends that were in Quepos last week and they went 26 for 32 on blues! Unreal for sure!!

That video was from January and we ended up with 30-40 sailfish back then.

Might not come back!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:42 am
by Cracker Larry
I haven't been in a couple of years, but fishing out of Los Suenos in July we caught 23 sailfish and 3 blues, plus some wahoo and tuna, all in the same day! Incredible fishing down there 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 am
by poleposition
^
Yea, my nephew fished a tournament in Los Suenos in Feb...think they had close to 70 releases in 3 days.....and finished in the middle of the pack! Incredible fishing....

Anybody got an idea of how the prices are down there now? I understand that now that it has been discovered, it has become much more expensive. If they allowed hunting down there, I'd have packed my bags yesterday.....

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 pm
by Dustinwg
Epic trip!! 22 for 32 shots, 21 blue marlin and 1 striped Marlin. Got into a pile of them at the end of the trip but had to role it up after one of the mates took a triple wrap on a hot blue and cut the shit out of his hand with 200 lb mono.

Hope to have a video put together in the near future!!

My brother probably broke his finger and I took a shot to the chest from breaking off a blue on 200 lb mono. Here's a few pics from our trip:

All in all the most epic trip I have to date... Need to get back to wrap up this boat project so I can come back to chase these blue marlin in CR!!

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:11 am
by poleposition
Congrats---great pics. Wiring those beasts isn't for the faint of heart, and for some reason it always seem to be the smaller fish that cause the most problems; several years ago @ The Big Rock tourney here in NC, a mate lost his life after getting pulled overboard by a blue that couldnt have been over 150lbs......

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 am
by MrPaul
Beautiful pics. Never been to Costa Rica but it looks like the blue marlin bite is better than in Cabo. When we go to Cabo we always end up with a bunch of stripe marlin releases but I've never caught a blue. Looks like this is the place to go. Any recommendations on a good charter captain?

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 am
by Jeff
Great photos!! Send more if possible!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:52 pm
by Fuzz
Now that looks like some world class fishing :!:
Plus the water is warm, must be nice :D

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 am
by Dustinwg
Fuzz wrote:Now that looks like some world class fishing :!:
Plus the water is warm, must be nice :D
For sure world class fishing!
MrPaul wrote: Any recommendations on a good charter captain?
On charter recommendation, we actually fished on a friends boat that had just brought over from TX, but Tigre on the Main Line is a great local guy to charter. He can set you up with a great place to stay and arrange all of your pick up from San Jose.
poleposition wrote:Wiring those beasts isn't for the faint of heart, and for some reason it always seem to be the smaller fish that cause the most problems; several years ago @ The Big Rock tourney here in NC, a mate lost his life after getting pulled overboard by a blue that couldnt have been over 150lbs......
That is for sure. Most of the fish we caught were 200-250 lbs, with the biggest being 400-450 lbs, but typically the smaller ones are the ones that end up thrashing everything, probably because you can get them to the boat so quick and they are still green as hell.

At the end of the third day we hooked and caught a triple header. I hooked the third fish and it immediately started grey hounding back at the boat. Caught it in literally about 10 seconds, but it nearly jumped in the cockpit with us and ended up jumping through our rigger lines and slamming into the side of the hull! All I was really doing was just reeling up slack line as soon as I hooked it!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 am
by Dustinwg
Well finally back at it. Got the toe rails faired and worked out details for the rigging tube and hydraulic steering for the motor.

Installed the hydraulic cylinder, and what do you know it hit the manual jack plate when trimmed up. So had to pull the motor back off, take apart the jack plate to position the motor on the highest bolt holes to clear the jack plate. It's amazing how a simple task ends up being a 3 hour PITA!

Had to get a grommet to allow the fuel line to exit the rigging tube, as the fuel line was on the opposite side of the motor.

All that is left now is to get the console squared away, glassed in and I am off for a test ride and then paint!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:36 am
by Cracker Larry
Nice and clean. I like those rigging tubes 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:40 am
by glossieblack
Dustinwg wrote:All that is left now is to get the console squared away, glassed in and I am off for a test ride and then paint!
With the quality work you've put in to date, enjoy the final steps. She's going to look a stunner. :D

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:25 pm
by BarraMan
I assume the hydraulic lines are for the steering? Where did you get the thru-hull fittings for the hydraulic lines?

Regards

Lee

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 am
by Cracker Larry
I'll answer part of this for him. Yes they are hydraulic lines to the steering.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:05 pm
by Dustinwg
As Larry said, yes they are hydraulic lines and the fittings are made by TH Marine, but got the from a local Yamaha dealership because you have to put the fittings on the hoses prior to pressing on the threaded hydraulic fittings. They came cut to length and ready to go.

One problem I did have though is that I put a Baystar cylinder on the motor and aparently the threaded fittings on the hoses are for Seastar cylinders so I need to get new fittings on the cylinder. They can't just make it simple and everything have the same size fittings I guess!

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 am
by LGF
Man your Phantom looks so good. Congrats on the work you've done, you must have a passion for it and it shows in your build!

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:10 pm
by Dustinwg
Thanks for the compliments guys! Feel like I'm nearing a rat rod splash before paint!

Been plugging away as much as I can...

Got the console glued and glasses in place

Also got the "gutters/lip" installed around the pop up opening on the console. Hoping this will keep the majority of the water from coming in the console when the pop up is closed. The lip will ride right inside the inner lip of the pop up lid...at least that is the plan

And started dry fitting the the switches. Got the ignition switch, trim tabs and pop up actuator switches dry fit. Really like the look and feel of the trim tab switches at the underside of the pod. Also really like the two stainless momentary switches for the pop up electonics.

I did run into a head scratcher though, went to put the electronics pop up lid back on the console, and it seems like it warped about 3/8-1/2". Screws up the reveals around the perimeter of the lid. Not sure how this happened. I glasses the entire console and the cut the lid out of the console. Anyone ever had something like this happen? Just planning on sanding and fairing it back to good.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 am
by LGF
Looking very very Good Dustin.

As for the warped lid, I had some glass molds do that way back when. I pulled some of the small life-like small bass molds I made about a month ago (made these almost two years ago) and they did not seal up like they used to when I made then. I would also like to know what causes this. There was no wood used in the molds, so it cannot be that the wood was the main reason?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:16 am
by Dustinwg
LGF,

Thanks for the compliments. Not sure if possibly the resin was still curing and tightened up the fiberglass to pull it back, but the entire console was glassed for over a month before I cut the lid out.

Either way, I cleaned up the lid this weekend and installed the piano hinge and the reveal looks pretty good now. Just need a some minor fairing and I'm going to call it good.

Going to call my painter and aluminum guy this week to get scheduled. Still pushing to get done before the end of the year!

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:50 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, that is going to be a beautiful console. Please keep the photos coming!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:54 am
by Dustinwg
Got the boat back from the Yamaha dealer yesterday. They did all the hook up and test run of the motor. All good and they confirmed that even though the motor is an '08 model, because it had never been started or registered that the warranty period of the motor didn't begin until yesterday...so full warranty, even with the jet!

Did notice something though while I had it out of the shop and on the road, that I need some help with. Walking up to the boat in the parking lot, I noticed that bulkhead D had a bow in it where it meets the rear casting deck, right in the middle. Appears to be 3/8" - 1/2", more at the top and levels out at the sole. Not sure if this is from the foam I Poured around the livewells/beer boxes, or if I installed the framing too tight around the livewell. Either way, I am looking for the best way to straighten this out. Was thinking either fairing it out with Quickfair and/or the micro-balloons, but am concerned that it would be too thick and have cracking issues down the road. Let me know what you suggest gents!!

Going down to the deer lease this afternoon, but plan on coming back a little early Sunday to take it for a rat rod sea trial!!

We have a pulse folks!!
[youtube]https://youtu.be/TWsjpmDAD60[/youtube]

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:36 pm
by Jeff
Dustinwg, Is there any way you can take a picture that will show us the issue? Goopd luck on the deer lease. Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:27 pm
by Dustinwg
Jeff, below is the photo, with notes attempting to explain what I am talking about. Let me know what ya'll think is the best fix.

Also, I went by Texas Parks and Wildlife today to get the process started to get the boat registered, and they said I would need receipts of purchase of materials. Would you happen to have receipts on file for materials I have purchased from Bateau that you could send to me? I know it's a long shot, but I figured I would ask, as I purchased 95% of my materials for my build from Bateau.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:47 pm
by peter-curacao
Is it a overhanging gunnel like the sides? If so I would run a circular saw past it to straighten it out, then glass it and fair it again, it's about an hour work I guess, maybe a pic from front to back gives a better view of what's going on

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:15 am
by Dustinwg
Unfortunately it is not it is the 3/8" plywood bulkhead (frame D) all the way up. Below is a photo looking from the bow.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 am
by peter-curacao
Okay that sucks but if I understood correctly it is straight at the sole? What you can do if you like it,is glue a trim piece over it what flows into the gunnels, that way you don't correct it but you hide it

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, yes, we will run a report with your purchases and email the report to you. We will get this done early next week!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:42 pm
by Dustinwg
Jeff, thank you very much that will be a huge help!

Got the boat out on the water this afternoon for a rat rod run! Ecstatic with performance! Boat planes quickly with little to no bow rise and the biggest relief is that the motor is enough horsepower to push her up on plane in a hurry!

A few videos from this afternoon:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8mPdwIVz38w[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GNsnVj1ZMZI[/youtube]

Cant wait to wrap up the loose ends, get painted and hit the flats!!

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:05 am
by willg
Awesome! It looks like she scoots quickly and turns well. Congratulations, Dustin!

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:54 am
by topwater
I would cut that section out and relieve the pressure from behind it and either glass the the piece you cut out back in
or build a new patch .

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:51 am
by cvincent
Congrats, the performance looks great with the jet.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:06 pm
by Jeff
Dustinwg, Congratulations!! Looks and runs great!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:47 pm
by Dustinwg
Got the electronics pop up close to done. Peter, the actuator you recommended worked like a charm!!

Electronics layout in the pop up insert:

Here's a video of the pop up in action:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1Eam0S4-2NA[/youtube]

This is the view of the actuator installed in the console fully extended

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 am
by peter-curacao
Dustinwg wrote:Got the electronics pop up close to done. Peter, the actuator you recommended worked like a charm!!
Very cool 8) Glad I could be of any help

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, very nice center console!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:41 pm
by seaslug
Now that's the coolest thing I've seen on any center console boat. Beautiful work. Mike

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 am
by willg
Dustin, very nice and very cool! I like the cabinetry, too. Storing those electronics in the down position will hopefully keep the meth heads away from your stuff!

Will

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:00 pm
by Dustinwg
Got the last item on the list checked off before she's ready for paint...got the rub rail dry fitted to the boat yesterday! I ended up going with a 1/2" solid back stainless steel rub rail all the way around. Very happy I decided to go this route.

Just need to pull the rub rail off, over drill and fill the screw holes and then off for paint!

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:41 pm
by Dougster
Man it looks great, I hope I get to see it in person one day. Wonderful details. You gotta bring it to the Port A boat show next Oct. I'll bring my by then finished SK 14 but it won't look like that!

Just down the road in Blanco Dougster

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:31 pm
by peter-curacao
Very nice! that was the first choice of rubrail for my cs also, unfortunately to expensive to import, you made the right choice IMHO 8)

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:46 am
by Dustinwg
Dougster, I will be keeping the boat down in Port A most of the time, so I am pretty sure I will bring it by for the boat show. Would be great to meet you down there. Appreciate the kind words.

Peter, I hear ya on the cost to ship, even here in the US it is ridiculous. I got lucky though because my brother in law has a boat shop down in Port A and he gave me a for real brother in law deal by getting it for me at cost and the shipping was only a 1/4 the price because he is a dealer... I couldn't afford not to!!

Cant wait to see that Flyer of yours come together, that is one cool project! You building that boat proves that there are rednecks like me all over the world that just want to be Fast & Loud!!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:37 am
by peter-curacao
Dustinwg wrote: You building that boat proves that there are rednecks like me all over the world that just want to be Fast & Loud!!
I was thinking of calling her Little Rum Runner but now I'm in doubt, Fast & Loud!! also sounds nice :P
Nice tv show also 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 am
by deuce_454
i like the lillli rum runner.. a tribute to the baby bootlegger, and the boats Caribbean origin....

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 am
by Dustinwg
Well, it's officially a boat, at least in the eyes of the State of Texas!!

Got registration and title in and it wasn't that bad. I had heard nightmares of taking it in to the local San Antonio Texas Parks and Wildlife office for inspection, so I called my local game warden in Comal County to see if he could perform the inspection for me. He was a great guy, and said he would come out to the house, even after hours, to meet my schedule. He showed up and in no time he was done with inspection and we spent another 30 minutes BSing about hunting and fishing. I highly recommend this for anyone out there about to get their registration.

I just had to take his paperwork back up to the TP&W office and bingo all done. I will say I am very happy I did it this way, as the folks up at the TP&W office would have been difficult to go through an inspection with, being that they could not understand how the boat could be built with both wood and fiberglass or that the motor was both an outboard and a jet. Literally I had to pull pictures out to prove it to them...oh well, guess it wasn't on their check list.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 am
by BrianC
How do people mark the hull ID number on the boat?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 am
by pee wee
Congratulations- both for getting the final step done and successfully dealing with bureaucracy!

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:03 am
by Cracker Larry
Congrats! Now she is officially a boat :D Dang nice one too 8)

How do people mark the hull ID number on the boat?
The neatest way is to get a metal tag laser engraved at a trophy shop. Epoxy and rivet it on. Unless you are very good with a router. They are only a few dollars.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:07 am
by topwater
Trophy shop , they had a military grade plastic they engraved for me , UV stabil .

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:10 pm
by Jeff
Very well done!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:01 pm
by Dustinwg
CL, I really like that HIN tag you had made, but not sure if it is different in Texas because the Game Warden that did the inspection for me put the HIN tag below on the hull:

Does anyone that has built a boat in Texas know if I can have a tag like CL and replace the sticker provided by the Game Warden?

On a side note though, the Game Warden gave me a second HIN tag with the same numbers to put in a secret location in the boat. He took note of the location, so if the HIN on the transom was ever removed they could look up in their system where to look for identification of the boat. I'm sure all of you seasoned builders out there are aware of this, but as a first timer it was news to me. He told me that he keeps a book showing the concealed HIN location for all production boats for the same reason.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:05 pm
by cvincent
Dustinwg,

Your boat looks great and congratulations on the registration. In LA, the game warden inspects and has the same process with the HIN tag, including a second one to place in a hidden location.

Did you bend the stainless steel rubrail around the bow while in place? Does the rubrail bend easily? Thanks

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:46 pm
by Jeff
Dustinwg, Congrats on the registration!!! Great looking boat!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm
by Dustinwg
Thanks for the kind words guys.

cvincent, the only bend I had was around the tip of the bow and I bent by hand around the bow and then used a heavy rubber mallet to make sure it stayed tight around the radius. One thing that was that the rub rail was solid back, so it did not try to distort when taking a tight radius.

Also, anyone that has built a boat in Texas know if I can have a tag like CL and replace the sticker provided by the Game Warden?

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:36 pm
by Dustinwg
Got the boat stripped down last week and delivered to the painter down in Rockport last weekend! Expecting to get it back mid January, ready for final rigging...pushing to get the boat 100% (minus the poling platform) by the end of January.

Pretty fired up about it. Hoping the paint turns out half as nice as Wouter's!

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:23 pm
by glossieblack
Dustinwg wrote:Got the boat stripped down last week and delivered to the painter down in Rockport last weekend!
A nice approach to painting. 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:08 am
by Dustinwg
glossieblack wrote:
Dustinwg wrote:Got the boat stripped down last week and delivered to the painter down in Rockport last weekend!
A nice approach to painting. 8)
I know my limitations when it comes to painting...figured after almost 3 years of building I didn't want to screw it up now!!

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:19 am
by Dustinwg
Got an update from the painter yesterday. They have the boat all blocked, primed and some areas painted.

Pic of the painted deck and toe rail:

He said he was on track to wrap it up in a week or two, then just have final rigging!

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 pm
by fishwipt
Great looking boat!!! I was wonder what hatch/deck lids you were using. I apologize if you posted it somewhere in your thread. i did my best to troll around... haha Thanks

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:25 pm
by Jeff
Dustinwg, that is going to be a real beauty!!! Congratulations on your near finish!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 pm
by Dustinwg
fishwipt wrote:I was wonder what hatch/deck lids you were using.
fishwipt, I got them from bateau a year or so ago, but not sure if they still have them because as I understand their supplier quit making them. But I am very happy with the quality of the hatches.... hopefully they can find another supplier!

Got an update from the painter the other day. All that is left is to paint the bottom. You can really see how much the tinted epoxy yellowed on the bottom (from chine down) as compared to the white decks.

Got a port mandfield duck hunt planned for the weekend, and pick up the boat sunday on my way home. More excited about picking the boat up than hunting, which is saying something cause Mansfield hunts are hard to beat.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:32 am
by cvincent
Wow! Your paint job looks great!

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:46 am
by Wouter
That bow light is awsome.!! Didn't know they exited, otherwise I would also have gotten one!

Unfortunately I have already purchased a standard one! :doh:

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm
by xf20corpus
Dustin,

This thing looks great on the trailer. Saw you in Kenedy today and gave you a thumbs up. Can't wait to see this thing on the water. Nice work.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:17 am
by Jeff
Dustin, she really looks great!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm
by Dustinwg
xf20corpus wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm Dustin,

This thing looks great on the trailer. Saw you in Kenedy today and gave you a thumbs up. Can't wait to see this thing on the water. Nice work.
xf20corpus, remember seeing you going down the road! I was just headed back with the boat from Rockport. Thanks for the kind words!

Here are a few photos of the boat back at the house...has a couple of areas that need to be touched up, but my painter and I talked and he said to just bring it back once it is rigged out and he would take care of them as well as any touch ups that may be necessary due to damage during rigging.

Pretty darn happy with the results and color!!

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 pm
by willg
Dustin, she is beautiful! Very clean and precise. You should be very proud.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm
by MarkOrge
Beautiful !

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 am
by LGF
Man she looks awesome, congrats on getting her so pretty!

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:03 am
by Dustinwg
Been plugging away at the rigging on the boat. Hoping to have everything wrapped up by the end of the weekend.

Motor re-hung and all control and steering is in. Wiring is all pulled, now just need to get the rats nest cleaned up.

Electronics pop-up works and I think it looks pretty slick:

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:06 am
by Wouter
Pretty slick is an understatement! Looks awesome!

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:33 am
by pee wee
I love that idea, and it looks great! In addition to being more secure, it will protect the instrument faces from sun exposure when not in use. I've seen a lot of chalky, cracked and cloudy plastics, seems like a good way to keep things looking and working like new.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 am
by Jeff
I could not agree more, your console is great!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 am
by Dougster
I sure hope you can bring that beauty to the Port A boat builder's meet this Oct. I'd love to see it up close.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:14 pm
by seaslug
stunning!!! This is truly a beautiful boat!! Well done.

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm
by Jeff
Hey guys, we have put his PH18 on the main website!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:59 am
by LGF
Man the levels of WOW just keeps on being raised in the PH section!

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 pm
by Dustinwg
Got all the wiring knocked out this weekend, and have almost everything on my checklist done! Taking the boat to the yamaha dealer for a final once over in the morning, to make sure i didnt overlook some thing. Then its off for final paint touch ups and aluminum (poling platform and casting platform)

Electical in the console (talk about a pain in the a$$!):

Everything fired up on the first try!!

And got the cockpit lights glowing as well...

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 am
by willg
Awesome, Dustin, just awesome.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:39 am
by Browndog
That is cool!

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 am
by Jeff
Great work Dustin, really nicely done!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:55 am
by Dustinwg
Well, the boat is rigged and ready to go to the aluminum fabricator this weekend.

Took it out for a couple runs over the last week...the first was pretty much a cluster. Got to the ramp with my wife and 2 year old daughter to find a 30 mph cross wind. Decided to give it a go anyway, and found out as I was backing the boat off the trailer that I had hooked the hydraulic steering up backwards!! So not only am I fighting the wind, but also fighting the backwards steering and to make matters worse it's a jet, that only steers when you use the throttle. Made it through all that unscathed though.

Got the steering corrected and all is good now, and loving the results!

Got my 2 year old started off early cleaning the boat up!

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:48 am
by topwater
Nice :!: Is that a outboard jet foot or a yammi :?: Did you make that tunnel extension or buy it :?:
One of the cleanest jet install i have ever seen 8)

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:55 am
by Dustinwg
Topwater, I bought the jet drive from Outboard Jets and installed it on a stock Yamaha motor.

I did find out though that all of the factory installed jet drives actually come from Outboard Jets as well. They hold the patent on this type of jet lower unit and sell it to the outboard manufacturers...

I got the tunnel extension from Outboard Jets as well, and it was relatively simple to install. Keeps the intake fed with water and keeps the toe of the jet from spraying water back in the boat.

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 am
by Dustinwg
Got an update from my aluminum guy on the poling platform!!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:39 am
by willg
Holy crap, Dustin, that looks great!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 am
by Dustinwg
And here are a couple of the casting platform on the bow!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 pm
by cvincent
Your boat is a work of art!

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:23 pm
by Jeff
Dustinwg, very nice!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:26 pm
by Dougster
I'm not sure I could put that beautiful thing in the old nasty, muddy water :lol: Sure hope I get to lay eyes on it one day.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am
by Dustinwg
Got the boat back from the aluminum guy yesterday. Got it home and finished everything up. Can't wait to get out on the water!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:59 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, Absolutely beautiful boat!! Congratulations!! Can't wait to see her on the water!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 am
by willg
Amazing, Dustin. She is beautiful!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 am
by Browndog
That is one Kick Azz boat!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 am
by bateau-webmaster
Front-page-worthy! Again! :D

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:09 am
by topwater
sweeeeeet :!:

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm
by seaslug
Your boat is an absolute work of art. Just glad I'm not building one, you've set the bar way way too high!!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:19 am
by cape man
Wow!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 am
by Eric1
Absolutely Beautiful!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 am
by Aripeka Angler
Fantastic work! Congratulations!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 am
by Dustinwg
Really appreciate the encouraging words from everyone!

Planning on heading down to do some fishing this weekend and getting some blood on the deck! Hope to have a report next week!

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:03 am
by Wouter
Great boat!

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:41 pm
by willg
Dustin, I'm at the point of getting my Phantom registered with Tx PWD. From your earlier posts it looks like you got the game warden inspection first, which provided the hull ID number, then went to TWP for registration. From what I see on the PWD site I would need to provide the registration form PWD 143 and either an Affidavit of Fact (form PWD 314) or show a receipt of materials. Which of these two steps did you do?

Thanks, Will

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm
by Dustinwg
Will, I had to go by the local Texas Parks and Wildlife office to pay for the inspection, and then scheduled with the local game warden to come by the house. Once he did his inspection, I took the paperwork he gave me back to their office to complete the registration.

I had all of the receipts ready to go, but did not need them because the warden did the inspection pre-paint and it was pretty obvious that it was a homemade boat, so I believe I just filled out the affidavit of fact, so with that said I would say it is the luck of the draw on which game warden does the inspection.

If the Texas Parks and Wildlife offices in your area are anything like around here, the best recommendation I can give you is call up and ask for the direct phone number for the actual game warden in your area, tell them your story about building the boat and ask them how to go about getting the inspection (and if they can come by to do it at your house).

If not, you will have to take the boat up to their office, and they only do inspections on certain days of the month, and in my experience there is a reason these wardens are in the office and not out in the field.

Hope this helps...

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm
by willg
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked up the GW's in my county and 4 are listed, with what might be either their desk or cell numbers. I'll give one of them a call.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:54 pm
by TomW1
Hi guys. We have started a new category under "Question before purchasing the plans and announcements.." "How to register your newly built boat".
Would you please put your states registration requirements there. We want to have one place for all our new builders to go on how to find out how to get there boat registered. If you have a link to there web site that would be helpful also.

Thanks a lot.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:17 pm
by willg
I posted info for Texas in that thread.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm
by TomW1
Thanks Will

Re: New Braunfels - PH18 Jet **SPLASHED**

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:16 pm
by Dustinwg
Well haven't made it to the flats yet because of work, but did manage to sneak off to the lake for a few white bass a couple times over the last week.

Cannnot wait to get on the flats....

A couple pics from last trip trolling for white bass...

My little girl and her first white bass!!

Both of my girls riding on the bow...

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 am
by Eric1
Wow! What an awesome day!! Thanks for sharing these.

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, nice family photos!!! The boat looks great in the water!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:21 am
by Noles309
Amazing work! Congratulations!

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 pm
by willg
Dustinwg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:01 pm CL, I really like that HIN tag you had made, but not sure if it is different in Texas because the Game Warden that did the inspection for me put the HIN tag below on the hull:

Does anyone that has built a boat in Texas know if I can have a tag like CL and replace the sticker provided by the Game Warden?
Dustin, resurrecting an old topic here but I wanted to let you know that I specifically asked a GW that question today. He came by the house today to inspect my boat. Very nice guy, and it was a fun process. He told me some tales about boat inspections and titling, when they get handed down in families, when they're real old, when they're stolen, etc. Anyhow, the answer unfortunately is no, you cannot replace that sticker. Too bad, because I would have wanted to use an engraved tag also.

Will

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 am
by peter-curacao
Beautiful boat congrats on the splash ! 8) 8)

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am
by cape man
Too bad, because I would have wanted to use an engraved tag also.
Use both. Hard to have too many ID tags on a boat like that.

Did I tell you how gorgeous it looks?

Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:16 pm
by Dustinwg
Well I finally got down on the flats, and all I have to say is holy shit this thing runs skinny!!! Couldn't be happier with performance...was running through 2-3" no problem! I'm talking dry ground in the wake!

Unfortunately the fish didn't cooperate as well as the boat, a sustained 20-25 mph wind had a lot to do with it, but still was able to see a ton of lockjawed redfish.

A few pics from the weekend...

Boat was floating in all of the above photos and the photo of me on the bow my left foot was touching the bottom!

Since fish had lock jaw we decided to grab a few stonies...found a few dinosaurs!

The only good fish and first real fish on the boat I broke the leader on trying to get in the boat, but did manage a few rats like this little guy.

And a shot of the GPS track to show where we we were running.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 am
by Eric1
That is amazing! Great pictures too! 8)

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:19 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, great results with your boat!! Really good skinny water boat!! Wow, biggest Stone Crab claw I ever saw!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:48 am
by seaslug
This is just a spectacular build!! Now I need to go back to the beginning and read through the entire build. You never stop learning. Absolutely beautiful, I'm sick, and I want one for my collection.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm
by willg
So sweet! Congratulations are well deserved!

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 am
by Dustinwg
My brother finally finished up the video from our Costa Rica FAD trip last winter and it sure fires me up and makes me want to get back there.

Check this out:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/jJhHNOgzzoo[/youtube]

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 am
by Dustinwg
Have been getting on the water as much as possible lately, a little on the river and a little in the flats. Have gotten blood on the deck with a few redfish and a couple Guadalupe River Stripers.

Have yet to find water that was too shallow to run in...that is until Saturday. I found out the hard way that running over hard packed sand is like a suction cup to the jet. Crossed a sandbar with only about 1" of water over the top, and made it across, only to come to a screeching hault on the second sandbar. I figured the only way to find the limitations of the boat is to push the envelope!

Here she is high and dry:

Image.

Did have a successful trip during the middle of last week. Ran up the Guadalupe river, and actually ran the boat up a few rapids to find a pile of Stripers with a buddy of mine.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am
by Jaysen
I swear that dogs is saying, "why haven't you cooked it yet? I'm hungry!"

Looks great on the water. What speeds are you making with the jet?

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am
by Jeff
Dustinwg, the boat looks great on the water and great fishing shots!! Also, great looking pup!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am
by Eric1
That's one Beautiful boat! She looks really nice on the water too! 8)

Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 pm
by Dustinwg
Jaysen, cruise is about 25 mph @ 4500 rpms. WOT if I have a light load it will run around 30 mph @ 5100 rpms. If I am running skinny (3-5") it actually picks up 1-2 mph.

She's no speed demon, but that is the trade off with the jet, but not sure I would want to go much faster than that with the jet.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:10 pm
by Jaysen
Keep in mind speed is relative... I'm building a sail boat :)

I am interested in the jet idea though. Lots of skinny places here where the fish like to congregate. Was thinking that eventually a jet might be the right option for me. Not on Lil, but if I ever build a different fishing platform.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:28 pm
by Dustinwg
Been running the snot out of the boat lately, and all I can say is it is a redfishing machine! If anyone is on the fence about building one of these boats, I say do it as soon as possible, the sooner you start the sooner you can be on the water! I have already put 30-40 hours on the motor in just a few months time and it just never gets old running a boat that you built!!

Found big schools of redfish in the flats on several occasions and wore them out.

In Deck Fish box works great as six redfish didn't even fill up half of the box!

Got a few by myself the other day (you can see the latest addition of the Seadek on the platforms; highly recommend this!)

Also doing some solid lake trolling/beer drinking

Caught a double header on the troll; Flathead and bass

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 pm
by Eric1
Awesome Reds! :D

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:09 pm
by Jeff
Nice Distinwg!!! Great catch!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am
by K2FS18
Dustinwg, where and what type of 360 light on your motor? I am wanting something small and tangle free just like that.

Ken

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm
by Dustinwg
It is an Attwood light made for the top of a wakeboard boat tower. I just bolted it down to the rop of my cowling.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/5580

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:19 pm
by K2FS18
Perfect.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:38 pm
by Dustinwg
My wife surprised me this Christmas big time by having a good artist friend of ours commision a painting of my skiff and I was blown away!!

The lighthouse in the background is one of the areas in Port Aransas I fish the most with my boat!

The artists name is Larry Rackley and all I can say is I am honored that he took time to put this together of my skiff.

So pumped about the painting that I just had to share!

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:34 am
by glossieblack
Dustinwg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:38 pm
So pumped about the painting that I just had to share!
What a great gesture by your wife. :D

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:09 am
by Jeff
What a great and thoughtful gift!!!! Very very nice!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:56 am
by Browndog
That is awesome. What a thoughtful gift!

My birthday was a couple of weeks ago and my wife bought me a new toaster. Why? Because she wanted a new toaster. I had a good laugh. She tried to rationalize it by saying, “You eat toast too.” Now admittedly, I’m hard to buy for because if I want something I just go get it, and frankly I’ve got more stuff than I need so haven’t been really acquiring much anyways.

Put the painting of the skiff where you will see it often so it will serve as a reminder that you should be on the boat instead of on the couch.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 am
by Dougster
Gotta chime in and say what a nice gift from the wife! I remember following your build thread and admiring your results. Maybe they'll have the Port A boat show this spring. If so I hope you can bring it and I can see it in real time :D

Dougster

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 am
by OrangeQuest
That is a great painting of a boat you have put a lot of thought into and your wife puts a lot of thought in you.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am
by Dustinwg
I am looking to upgrade the motor on the boat from the 90 two-stroke jet to a factory 115 four-stroke jet. The 90 jet is extremely light and has worked great, but it is just so darn loud, I have decided to make a change.

Problem is when I went to the Yamaha dealer, they asked what the HP rating was of the boat and were hesitant to install any motor on the boat without a USCG tag on it. I forgot that when I took the boat/motor to the dealer to have the motor commissioned, that I had already installed the motor on the boat.

So, can I get max HP information from Bateau to provide to the dealer?

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:22 pm
by Chuck H
Dustin,

TPWD has rules and regulations for homebuilt boats somewhere on their website. I haven't been able to find the exact page but I'll look again on a real computer. Maybe the dealer would accept that.

I'm pretty sure the formula is (length in feet x transom width in feet x2 ) -90 and I'm pretty sure that's a uscg thing.

Jets always seem louder than propeller outboards to me, have you demoed a 4 stroke jet to see if it's a $10000 quieter?

Be sure and add the expense of having your painting re-touched in your budget.

Chuck

Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:03 pm
by Dustinwg
Ended up going ahead and getting the new 115 Four stroke. Nice thing about getting the factory jet is that is warranted under the factory warranty, and Yamaha was giving an additional 2 years of warranty when I purchased, so I have a total of 5 years of warranty on the new motor!

It is way quieter and you can feel the additional power when you lay into the throttle. Did get a small increase in speed of 3-5 mph as well, but I did the change to get away from the noise, 2-cycle oil and increased fuel economy so that was just a bonus.

As you can see in the photos, the 30% hp reduction due to the jet is accounted for with the hp shown on the motor. Also, got really lucky as you can see in the last picture. When the motor is tilted all the way up, the cowling is about 1/4" from the poling platform.

All in all really happy with the upgrade!

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 am
by Fuzz
Nice :!: I bet that thing is a skinny water rocket.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am
by Jeff
Yamaha's are great motors!! Looks great as well!! Jeff