Foam Core FS14

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Foam Core FS14

Post by Marshall Moser »

Were you talking to me?

Well, mainly you designed the FS19. It will be a much more usable boat to me. The reason for me buying the FS14 plans was because the FS17 wasn't really ever big enough for me and I was worried about building the CS25 as a first boat. Plus I would teach my son and daughter to operate a boat using the smaller craft. Now, I feel like the FS19 would be a better candidate. It is a good size for me.

But yes, I would like to learn to use foam core because I feel like the difference in a foam core composite versus plywood core composite completely changes the attitudes surrounding the method and is the difference in a home-built boat and a custom boat. I am undecided on whether or not I would rather build the FS19 in foam or plywood core. I realize this may be confusing, but the hull cost is significantly more in foam, so I'm weighing my options.

I realize that practically, there is not much actual difference in the two composites, but there could be a perceived difference.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you decide to build the FS19 in foam core, I will give you the specifications.
First, I must finish the standard FS19 plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

I gave it serious thought last night. If I'm going to build it, I'm going to do it the way I want to. I have decided on foam core. I will also be purchasing the materials from you. I think the pre-laminated panels will be the way to go though. I don't have the nerves for infusion.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I will post some tutorials about foam sandwich applied to this type of boat. You'll see that you don't need infusion.

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

When I did mine there was no mention of pre-finished panels? I followed the instructions given, using a ribbald mold for the hull. Screwed the foam to the strips using drywall screws with pancake washers, filleted and applied tape to the seams, removed the screws and filled the holes, laid up my full lengths/widths of cloth per the schedule and had my basic hull. Has something changed?
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The new method is different. We fiberglass one or two sides of the foam panels flat on the floor, in one piece. Then, we use those panels exactly as we would use plywood panels, stitched at the chine.
Fiberglass the chine, bow, transom in and out and depending on the boat, add a layer of glass where needed.

There are several advantages:
- we can control the stiffness of the panels with the first layer of glass.
- compared to other foam sandwich methods, we need less molds

We completed a GF16 that way and the boat is light and stiff.

I am very busy with some other projects but I will post a tutorial one day . . .

shickapooka800
New Poster
New Poster

Post by shickapooka800 »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:48 am If you decide to build the FS19 in foam core, I will give you the specifications.
First, I must finish the standard FS19 plans.
Hello, I have purchased the FS19 plans and am interested in fully budgeting out the foam core version. I tried to send a private message however the message is still in the outbox and the webpage shows some php error messages up top. I can provide my purchase information if necessary.

Thanks