FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

sheeting

Post by deuce_454 »

its pretty thick.. about 0.1mm (something like 4/1000'') its that PE-LD sheeting used as a vapour barrier in house construction....

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

End of day 5!!

Post by deuce_454 »

got a lot done today... but im probably not going to have time to do any fairing of my time schedule is to hold even little... uncovered the lamination and it turned out better than expected with the 4 thou sheating...

embarked on the mammoth task of cutting all the pieces than make up the rub rail lamination.... then as one could expect i got sidetracked for a few hours.... decided to install strakes and a reverse chine instead of the spray rail... just looks better imho..

i decided against letting the reverse chine extent all the way back as i confabulated an unfounded theory that as it narrows towards the stern it introduces a degree of hook... Jacques ?? anyway, the strakes are placed 10 inches from the CL as are the stringers inside the boat... the reverse chine tapers off behind the widest point so it is in effect parallell to the strakes..

it will be more apparent what im rambling about once the PE comes off tomorrow
I got a good deal on the clamps, about 1.30 a piece for some quality clamps so i went for 40.... :D

some rough fairing tomorrow and a flip... 1 day behind schedule.... :help:

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

late noon day 7....

Post by deuce_454 »

some progress today..

i decided to sharpen the chines and transom ad modum "Cracker Larry" and get the shape close on the bottom before the flip...i won't fair the outside before its all glued up on the inside and properly cured... anyway, here are some pics... and hopefully some explanation on what i possibly meant with my ramblings on the "tapering chines" :|

it should also be apparent how little sanding it takes when the hull is covered in LD-PE sheeting (dont remove in direct sunlight)

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: FS14 2 week build

Post by ks8 »

go go go ! :)

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Wow nice - I have been working on my Phantom for 3 years....
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

in all fairness

Post by deuce_454 »

MarkOrge wrote:Wow nice - I have been working on my Phantom for 3 years....
it might be day 6 but i have been putting in a least 10 hours of solid work for the last 6 days.. and the epoxy has almost all been laid wet in wet... thats 60+ hours and counting and i dont have to clean up every time... this devided into 3-5 hour work weekends and evenings, puts me at what equates to week 10

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: in all fairness

Post by deuce_454 »

deuce_454 wrote:
MarkOrge wrote:Wow nice - I have been working on my Phantom for 3 years....
it might be day 6 but i have been putting in a least 10 hours of solid work for the last 6 days.. and the epoxy has almost all been laid wet in wet... thats 60+ hours and counting and i dont have to clean up every time... this devided into 3-5 hour work weekends and evenings, puts me at what equates to week 10
Add to that the hours of my lovely assistant (wonderfull girlfriend) and thats an additional 10 hours... anyway.. the flip is coming up, stay tuned..

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

70+ hours, it shows 8) looking great from here, good job 8)

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

peter-curacao wrote:70+ hours, it shows 8) looking great from here, good job 8)
coming from you thats a big compliment :D im a big fan of yours and CL´s builds...

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Can you slow down a little bit, please. We cannot read so fast :D