FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FLIP !!! yaiii

Post by deuce_454 »

ok it now resembles a boat... we spent the morning lifting the boat of the frames.. re-tasking the strongbacks as longitudinals of a cradle.. i decided to sipper it on the chines so as to not give the hull a hook from flexing on the stand... the cradle was laid out flat and true and lastly the hull was flipped onto it... its good to be dating a crossfitter who deadlifts 185lbs... :D

i hit the rub rail with a powerplane and a gave it a quick "once over" with the DA sander and 40 grit.. just to keep the splinters from impaling us when laying the glass...

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

fiddeling..

Post by deuce_454 »

we measured out the stations locations... decided to modify the seating positions.. since I'm replicating the forward steering from the green GF14 there really isn't a need for the rear platform to be that big.... we spaced it rearward to give 4 foot (122 cm) of room between the mid and rear seat.. coincidentally the with of the plywood we will be installing as flat floor...

im contemplating lowering the stringers by 1 to 1 1/3 inch since the cleats and floor will make up for the lost stability... jacques chime in please.. :P

anyway.. on with the inside glassing... pictures will follow

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

fillets :-)

Post by deuce_454 »

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

so close to burning it !!

Post by deuce_454 »

inside fibreglassed ! i won't even go into details of the irritating little things that went wrong.. but after much screaming, crying and grinding of teeth... we prevailed and were able to coat the inside. lay all the 6 inch biax tape and cover the bottom and sides with biax.... wet in wet :D and apart from discovering that mosquitos are attracted to epoxy and sweating boat builders it all turned out well in the end :P

tomorrow, seat frames / stations, stringers and floor fitting... and if tempers allow a console build

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 2 week build

Post by Cracker Larry »

I can't believe how much work you've got done in a short period of time. Nice looking work too 8) Good job to you and your girlfriend :!:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Thank you CL for the kind words

Post by deuce_454 »

Thank you CL.. it mean a lot comming from you... progress if slow today... had to get some supplies, also sanded the inside and gave it a sealer coat of epoxy.. and fix a couple of air pockets... the stations have been trimmed and are ready to go in.. i have decided to lower the floor so the stringers have been accordingly lowered... the strakes underneath the boat are equally high.. and with the added strength of the cleats that will sandwich the stringers i have decited that ill be fine... a couple of calculations prove that the MOI of the stringer with the "beefed up" flange is stiffer and stronger than the full height stringer....

some before pics:

peter-curacao

Re: so close to burning it !!

Post by peter-curacao »

deuce_454 wrote: i won't even go into details of the irritating little things that went wrong.. but after much screaming, crying and grinding of teeth...
The better it feels later when you two "driving" her around on the water, believe me, don't ask me how I know :lol:
Boat keeps on looking better and better serious! 8)

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

stringers

Post by deuce_454 »

its official.. i hate fillets :-) but the stringers and front station is in... fillets, glass and gritted teeth... :x but its done just before end of dusk

the lowered deck, and resulting lower stringers do now not quite reach the front frame... it sits at the end of the intersection of the deck and the bottom.. or will do so tomorrow

peter-curacao

Re: FS14 2 week build

Post by peter-curacao »

Looks very good IMHO 8)

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

progress....

Post by deuce_454 »

thank you for the kind words.. i have made little progress today in preparation for the next filleting / epoxy madness fitted the stations, clamped on the newly ripped cleats, and spot welded the frames to the hull using filled 5 min epoxy (dang that stuff cures fast) after alittle siesta ( vacuum cleaning the hull and drinking a beer) we will permanently install the frames in the hull...