Flyer

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Flyer

Post by deuce_454 »

will you be using the plywood as the final frames or ar router templates? it looks like butt joints in the assembled ones??

also is it a screw and glue build or will you be building it to the specifications in the old plans?

and why not just build it with a straight drive and a cheap I4 engine ... something automotive? .. otherwise you could look into an IN/OUT/Reverse dog box from an old casale v drive... they are small and relatively inexpensive.. just dog engagement like a crash box.. but i dont think anything else will fit

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

deuce_454 wrote:will you be using the plywood as the final frames or ar router templates? it looks like butt joints in the assembled ones??

also is it a screw and glue build or will you be building it to the specifications in the old plans?

and why not just build it with a straight drive and a cheap I4 engine ... something automotive? .. otherwise you could look into an IN/OUT/Reverse dog box from an old casale v drive... they are small and relatively inexpensive.. just dog engagement like a crash box.. but i dont think anything else will fit
ply are the frames, it's gonna be glue only, straight shaft is the plan, see other thread.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

peter-curacao wrote:Jacques what are you thinking for the stringers? I was thinking also single 8 mm or maybe 2x 6mm laminated? and how many stringers ? 2 , 3 or 4? :doh:
Bump (because I will be at this point in a couple of days)

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Did the designer specify engine rpm and prop size at WOT? Or did he just design the hull, and leave it the builder to experiment with engine and prop size etc, while at the same time trying to stay alive? :lol:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

peter-curacao wrote:
deuce_454 wrote:will you be using the plywood as the final frames or ar router templates? it looks like butt joints in the assembled ones??

ply are the frames, it's gonna be glue only, straight shaft is the plan, see other thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casale-Engineer ... PJ&vxp=mtr

if you look at the casale v drive in this auction you can see the little "in out" box.. they also come with a reverse, and its the smallest/lightest transmission for a small straight shaft out there.. a velvet drive is big and heavy... but conected to a small v6 it would be pretty cool too

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

peter-curacao wrote:
peter-curacao wrote:Jacques what are you thinking for the stringers? I was thinking also single 8 mm or maybe 2x 6mm laminated? and how many stringers ? 2 , 3 or 4? :doh:
Bump (because I will be at this point in a couple of days)
Stringers Afterplane

Jacques,

What do you think of stringer placement in the picture? (orange string line) stringers 8mm thick and 80mm high (same as frames), inside stringers will be cut with a transom knee support. At the bow I was thinking same dimensions, but one center stringer and one on each site (total of 3)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Bump Image
Jacques I'm almost on the point of glueing in the bottom panels, can you please explain your suggestion in earlier post under a little further?
And if it is as I drawn in the pic what location and how big should the holes be
peter-curacao wrote:
jacquesmm wrote:I suggest an improvement: feed air to the step with a cut in the side. Without that, it will cavitate, too much negative P at the step.
Can you explain that a little more? I think it's more or less the same what the guys who are building tunnels in their hulls try to achieve or not? :doh: Should I put 2 holes (port and star) in the step under need the waterline and feed it air with hoses above the waterline? I tried to illustrate it in the pic at frame 9

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Peter, I think Jacques is on a boat delivery for a couple of weeks and out of touch.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, Jacques is on a boat trip but he is doing his best to stop at Marina's each evening with WIFI. Give him a couple of days and he will get back to you. Jeff

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Cracker Larry wrote:Peter, I think Jacques is on a boat delivery for a couple of weeks and out of touch.
Okay thanks Larry and Jeff, hope to hear from him soon 8)