Flyer

Discussions about the free plans distributed at bateau.com and BoatPlans-OnLine.com.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Flyer

Post by peter-curacao »

Jacques or anyone else who can help, I'm looking at the Flyer plans, I think my English language knowledge falls short here or the "plans" are just written very unclear.
I think when I understand how to draw out all the 15 frames I will be able to set them up on a strong back and figure out the rest from there, can you point me out in the right direction or help me with it? Also I was thinking building this boat completely out plywood (strips) is that achievable? frames 18 mm? bottom 12 mm? sides mm 6mm ? Also I don't see any stringers is that correct? the more I look at those plans the less I understand them :help: But I really like the model and style of that little boat.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flyer

Post by jacquesmm »

That is a very nice project.

If you want to start, it works like this:
for every station, you mark points like in my drawings then join the points.
You have the width and the height for each point.
For example, look at station 3 (column 3).
For the point that marks the chine, the width is 23-6 (23-6/8" away from the CL) and the height above baseline is 11-1 = 11-1/8" above the BL. That gives you a point.
Mark all the points and you have a station.
There is however a problem: those lines may not be fair and you have to loft that. We do that with great precision on the computer. We work with surfaces, not lines.
I don't think that table comes from a loft.

More:

This summer, my son is working with me, drafting with me a couple hours a day. He finished high school, got a drafting diploma in addition to his AP classes and before he starts college (engineering path), we think it is good idea to give him a real job: summer job at E-Boat.
Right now, he is finishing his first design (with my help). You will all be impressed.
After that, he will build the boat he designed but he has another project on his list: redraw an Atkins design for which we will cut a kit.
That leads us to your Flyer project.
I will teach him to read a table of offset, transfer it it to CAD, fair the lines etc.
To redesign the Flyer could be a great way to practice that.
I'll do it for free ( for you only) but it will take a few weeks. He needs 2 or 3 days to finish the plans for his first boat (the Primitus) and after that, he needs another 2 or 3 days to produce the CNC files.
Begin July, he can loft the Flyer on the computer and it should not take him more than 2 or 3 days to produce the hull then 3 days to extract stations.
You'll get the lines free but later we will sell the loft file.

Scantlings: I see stringers of two types: the little battens on the bottom and a pair of long ones on top of the floor frames.
It is not well documented.
We can adapt that to our material: sandwich bottom with our regular stringers and floor frames.

Bottom 6 mm core, sides 6, plywood framing 10 mm, deck 4 or plank. All that plus glass in and out.
If you strip in cedar, it will be thicker but I would do the bottom and chine panel in plywood, strip plywood above that.
That may look thin but we have Phantoms that are larger and heavier and go 55 mph with a 6 mm bottom.

All glass chines, bow etc. no fasteners: racing boats are not held together with screws anymore since 1950!
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

More: that thing has a step at Sta 8/9. You must fair/loft the bottom as 2 separate surfaces.
I suggest an improvement: feed air to the step with a cut in the side. Without that, it will cavitate, too much negative P at the step.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Thank you Jacques,

I think I'm starting to get is now (see pic), if so based on the table I'm missing some measurements, but that's probably me.
Base to top
Base to sheer
Base to chine
What's not clear to me why aren't they working from the keel or dwl but from a baseline under the keel? :doh:
Also I think I see a second step at station 15?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

There is no inner chine at Sta 3, it starts right there. See the lines drawing. That is why the dimensions are the same. For the deck, it is customary to show the camber, the apex and nothing else.
I posted something last week on how to draw a traditional deck as a parabol.

It looks like you got it but watch out for that step.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

I still didn't find those other dimensions :doh:
jacquesmm wrote:There is no inner chine at Sta 3, it starts right there. See the lines drawing. That is why the dimensions are the same. For the deck, it is customary to show the camber, the apex and nothing else.
I posted something last week on how to draw a traditional deck as a parabol.
What's an apex? also I don't see any camber on the side panels,there should be one I think? :doh:
Can you provide me the link to that post please?
jacquesmm wrote:It looks like you got it but watch out for that step.
Yes it's nice to understand it a little, but still I think I wait until your sons redesign of the Flyer, better safe then sorry :wink:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

peter-curacao wrote:I still didn't find those other dimensions :doh:
Which ones?

What's an apex? also I don't see any camber on the side panels,there should be one I think? :doh:
Can you provide me the link to that post please?
No camber in the side panels except thoase coming from the conical projection but that is none of your concern, you draw the lines, not the surfaces.
Apex is the highest point of a curve, in this case, the centerline of the deck.[
The deck discussion is here:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 21#p362944
better, see pic:

Step by step:
- draw deck beam = line.
- at CL, draw circle R=crown (that's in the offset table as deck height)
- divide horizontal R by 4
- divide arc by 4
- divide half beam by 4
- pull parallels to intersections.
- join by deck curve

That will produce the deck crown shown on the plans.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

peter-curacao wrote:I still didn't find those other dimensions :doh:
jacquesmm wrote:Which ones?
The ones on my drawing
jacquesmm wrote:(that's in the offset table as deck height).
O wait a minute now I see in the PDF, I'm missing a part of the offset table in my printed hard copy last 2 rows were cut of :oops:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Btw I'm also missing the max amount of HP I can put in her, maybe it's there but I can't find it

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That engine is the famous Universal Four block and delivered from 25 to 60 HP depending on the versions.
Search for Atomic Four.

But you are going to put that 500HP turbo charged V8 in there, correct?