PG25 Panga Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
kcinnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PG25 Panga Build

Post by kcinnick »

Noles309 wrote:You make the glue and fillets from the wood flour not the fairing material, which is the purple stuff.

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... =E_woo_1lb
I thought so too, but the description to what he linked too says it is suitable for fillets. I am not there, but my guess is the fillets are too big. Pictures are worth 1000 words.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You get a stronger filet with wood fibers mixed to a peanut butter thickness, than you do with microballons. Make sure you have a good radius between the parts you are fileting a 3/4" is good as the fiberglass will lay well then.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

I decided to install the Rub Rail in order to smooth out the sheer and keep busy. I used a lamination of 2 @ 3/8" Okume and left it 1/2" high at the deck for planning. It took two fillets at the bottom edge to round it out. I then sanded the hard edge and covered it all with 9 oz. cloth for durability. I held it back at the bow 6 inches to keep the bow clean; it seemed too "pointed" to me otherwise. I rounded the rail the aft corners and at the transom. I'm getting it ready to cloth the bottom. All tips are welcome!

Last edited by PangaRon on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It looks good from here. That glass was a little overkill but it will not hurt. It will be a very strong rubrail.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Need a bigger tent :!: Boat looks great!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gtcoupe
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gtcoupe »

I'm jealous! Always wanted to build a Panga, but the weather here (and my little shop) will dictate a P19!
Completed: FL12 GV10
Next up: P19!
Doug

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

gtcoupe wrote:I'm jealous! Always wanted to build a Panga, but the weather here (and my little shop) will dictate a P19!

There is a Panga 25 with a cuddy cabin:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PG25C

Add a steering station with windshield and canvas and it will be perfect for your rainy area.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

gtcoupe
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gtcoupe »

I spent months thinking about exactly that Jacques, but my shop would have me building part of it out in the weather. It's ok, one of the first designs I considered was the P21 (also too big), the P19 will actually work very well for me, especially considering the tiny boat launch that I have access to. I'll order the plans in a couple weeks.
Completed: FL12 GV10
Next up: P19!
Doug

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

I got an early start and 7 hours later, the Panga is all wrapped in glass! Now the fun begins!

Here's before and after pics. The photo doesn't seem to show it well, but it's all covered according to the lamination plan.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H »

PangaRon,

That's a pretty impressive days work. It looks great.

Can you tell me about how high Mt. Panga is at its highest peak? It looks huge in the pictures.

Thanks for posting updates.

Chuck