FS19 in Washington State

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS19 in Washington State

Post by cazuza »

We did the sides today, puzzle joints worked really well. Here's a photo of the side glued together, over 20 ft long. You can see the bottom panels leaning against the wall behind. All the cut out plywood pieces from page 3 are gone and 6 much longer pieces remain, now its time to start setting up the jig on the strongback.

Tim

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

I'm not far from ya. Just north of you in north Lynnwood. Ever need a hand let me know.

Love the FS19

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

Well, to keep up with the guru's of the forum I felt I had to post something. We've spent the last few days grinding down the tip of the sanding iceburg. We completed the hull sides and bottom as well as the stringers. In doing the puzzle joints I bought a Home Depot plastic 3' X 50' roll and covered the strongback with it and used short pieces on the top of the joint. Wow, did this ever create an uneven surface after the epoxy dried. Spent a lot of time cleaning it up. Here are some pics of the finished product. We start setting up the jig tomorrow.

Hull Bottom

Hull Side Panels
Tim

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Strange problem with the plastic sheet.
I have been told that some plastic sheets leave a residue. We use that technique and never had the problem.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

cazuza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cazuza »

After the first application of epoxy it was apparent that the epoxy had wicked through the joint and not completely filled the gap so we added another coat of epoxy and put the plastic and weight back on. Maybe shouldn't have added the weight and plastic back on or needed more weight.
Tim

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I've had the plastic leave a wrinkly pattern too. Its from an old scrap that I've re-used for a bunch of things, not pulled off a clean roll.

Never had a residue problem though.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think that wrinkly pattern comes from excess epoxy, try to wet out the glass but no more.
Hank

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've never had good luck with plastic either, it always leaves wrinkles. Some places you have to use it, to prevent gluing things together that you don't want glued together, but I can do a much cleaner job with a roller and wide spreader. Skip the plastic.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

What I don't see is any fiberglass on the joints. It looks like you used an excess amount of epoxy on the other side and it bled through the joint and the plastic was not smooth enough to contain it. 3 mil is to thin, I use black heavy duty garbage bags or 10 mil plastic.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

remedy32

Post by remedy32 »

What I don't see is any fiberglass on the joints.

Thought the same thing looking at this. Has JM put together a different way of handling this splice with the puzzle joint? If not, I'd try to work wet on wet on at least one side. I'm no fan of using plastic except to keep the work area clean. Thick or thin it's not for me. Just seems to encourage excess resin and resulting puddling. If you want the benefits of peel ply, buy a yard or two IMO.

Bill