GV11. And so it begins...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV11. And so it begins...

Post by Mhopper »

I succumbed to boat builder peer pressure. I ground it all off and redid it. I'm glad I did . It is going to be better this time Image

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

8) :D It doesn't matter how many times you have to do it to make it right. It's worth it and the learning curve is pretty short for most of what you have to do. When in doubt, test on a couple of scrap pieces before committing to the boat itself. And ask questions.

Don't worry about the tape edges, you will sand those off and feather them out.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

At the beginning of this project I was going to build a plywood unfinfinished boat shaped object. Thanks to you guys, my standards have risen. I thank you. My wallet, not so much. :lol: thanks for all the input!

Steven

Post by Steven »

If you put some weight to just outside the tape area, it will help hold the joint flat. I actually glue the panels together with a little putty first and then glass. Most don't do that, but I find I get a better result. I can put weight right up to the joint and ensure it's nice and flat. If you glue early in the day, the glue is usually tight enough to glass over in the afternoon. Just don't try to move the panel. It's a little more time, but very little compared to the overall build time. And your not building a boat shaped object. You're building a boat. :) Hard to explain how cool it feels when you launch it.

Mhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mhopper »

The joints on the other side were ok. I did weight them. I didn't do it on this side. That's a great idea to glue the joints before before glassing. It might take a few more hours. But it might make the boat last a few more years! Seat frames are next I'm definitely taking your advice on those! Come to think of it, it wouldn't have taken much longer. If it was glued I wouldn't have done the splices individually. It would have been rigid enough to flip without the worry of breaking.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

Make sure your epoxy is warm it will wet out much better and be thinner - easier to work.
Took me a while to learn this.

I like my epoxy at 75 to 80 degrees - I just set a space heater in front of the bottles when working in cold weather or take inside house . Not sure how safe this is but.............

Just don't mix too big of a batch or it will kick over before you use it all.

Have FUN!!

Steven

Post by Steven »

You can flip the panels with just the joint glued if you are very careful, but I'd suggest just doing one side at a time. You'd have to flip them with without letting the panel flex at all to keep from disturbing the fresh tape. Use fast hardener and you can probably flip in 3 hours if it's not real cold. Set a ceramic heater blowing across it works to speed things along. I also heated up my jugs with the electric heater when it was real cold. Just don't get carried away or it will kick off before you use it.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Hmmmmm, I like my epoxy at around 25 degrees C.
Sometimes I have to put it in the fridge to get it down to that! :lol:

I am a long way from home today - on the opposite side of the country to where I live. The temperature here in Broome is 32 C = 90 F!

I noticed at Perth airport yesterday that the temp at Paraburdoo (in the middle of Western Australia) was 44 C = 111 F !!!!!!!!!

Yikes!

woylie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woylie »

Been over 40C since 0800 Plus humidity 85% Apparent temperature 50C/122F seems to be making the crocodiles mad.Got attacked twice in the last month.......Waiting for the seabreeze and having my third beer. :wink:

woylie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woylie »

Oops! Sorry to butt into your thread mhopper.Enjoy watching your build.
Cheers!
woylie