S3 WR-LPU

technical support and information on EMC topcoats and coatings
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: S3 WR-LPU

Post by Larry B »

If you do go with the S3 be sure to give it some tooth to adhere to, I didn't and this was the first power wash :help:

They used to sell it here, but Blue Water Mega Gloss paint is real cheap (just a bit over $50.00 a gallon) and I used it on my pontoon boat and its holding up great :D EDIT: I did spray this on.

Completed: FL14, OD18

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The new S3 paint is very different. We sprayed it and rolled it and the results were excellent.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

The new S3 paint is very different. We sprayed it and rolled it and the results were excellent.
Tell us how it looks in 8 years and I might try it again. Mine looked real good when I applied it too.
So tell me about this paint. Iv'e seen it but never really considered it because its so cheap. This is for my sons Gheenoe project so I'm not looking to spend real money on it for paint.
I really have no experience with how it would hold up over the long term, but Rustoleum makes real good products that usually work. My son and I have been using it on our little boats projects and it seems to be very tough, looks pretty good for the price and is about idiot proof to apply. Don't need to mix anything. It looks a lot better than the picture, light was bad..

Another good middle of the road priced paint is Petit Easypoxy. I've used many gallons of it on repair projects. Very good one part paint for not a lot of money.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I kind of wish I had experimented with both Easypoxy and Rustoleum before settling on Interlux Brightside, applied, after much experimentation, with a roller. I found it a struggle to get decent results, although the exterior looked reasonably acceptable in the end.

However, I think the odds are pretty good I would have had a hard time with paint no matter what product I used.
Like Larry said at one point, to get a really professional look, besides quality paint you need a booth and a master at spraying.
Tony

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thanks Larry, i might give it a shot on the interior for sure. I've had good luck with Rustoleum products over the years as well. I'm undecided about the exterior.

Tony, Your boat looks awesome 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Tony, that paint job looks good.
How did you do that rubrail?

Larry, I can't tell you how the new S3 paint will look in 8 years, we have to be patient. :) but I have an FS12 at my dock that is 7 years old and the inside is painted with the old S3 paint: no peeling.
We applied it with a roller and it worked but we had problems each time we sprayed the old S3 paint.

Anyway, no contest that the EMC is a much better paint.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Thanks for the feedback; it was what I was looking for :lol: hmmm I think I will wait on the paint until I actually get there.

Understand that living in Canada makes things somewhat problematic for us. Product bilingual labeling for one is always an issue it seems or companies simply do not ship here. Even Pettit, I can get some types and none of another. Go figure. I was leaning towards WR LPU because of availability mostly and being water based. Jacques had mentioned EMC paints cannot be shipped here. Never heard of Sterling. So choices are; Interlux, Pettit, Epiphane and maybe a few other suspect products.

...don't hold back Larry...tell me what you really think :lol: :lol:

Marc

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

...don't hold back Larry...tell me what you really think :lol: :lol:
I wouldn't put S3 on another boat if they were giving it away. That's what I really think of it. Out of your choices, Petit and Interlux both are good paints for the money. I've never used Epiphane. Sterling has become almost impossible to get. The EMC is excellent if you can get it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

BoatBuilderCentral sells EMC:
http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=68

We only keep the most common colors in stock because those paints have a limited shelf life.
Order when you are ready to paint and expect about one week for delivery.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Cracker Larry wrote:
I wouldn't put S3 on another boat if they were giving it away. That's what I really think of it.
I will reserve some of the old S3 topcoat for you as a Xmas present . . . :lol: