New AD14 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: New AD14 build

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Now that I at last kicked out Windows of my notebook after having hated it for the last 25 years and installed Linux my Uploads of pictures work a mile faster and therefore I took a few to hopefully answer your questions. I also was thinking of using round inspection holes where you just screw the lid on and it is watertight. But I decided against it for the following reasons:
1.) I am old ( nearly 70 ) , overweight and have not very long arms and so I would never get into a corner of a hatch that is why I made them out of the cut outs and fitted small cleats under the sole so that the cut out lids wont fall into the hatch.
2.) I bought a porta potty which is 33 cm high and again because of our age it would be difficult to sit so low and therefore I made this 4 hatches near the companionway where we can put the 2 feet on each side of the longitudinal stringer down. They are not very long about 40 cm.
3.) As Salvatore and Tony Johnston pointed out to me that the hatches I made are not all that safe I put in an extra bottom frame just before my loo holes and filled foam into that space up to frame B the same as outside the longitudinal stringers. After the splashing I will make the lids of the hatches watertight and then it should be OK on the safety side.
4.) I made the bit bigger hatch near the bow to have good access to the centreboard pivot and to be flexible where to put the loose extra weights as well as having enough underfloor stowage.

Here are the pictures of the hatches just taken for which I had no time to dust not one of my forte.

By the way the 3 inches distance to the longitudinal stringers and the centreboard case I did not quite reach as you can see on the pictures, but I am sure I built everything strong enough.
The little pipes you can see in some hatches are pipes to get electricity cables under the floor towards the bow and across the longitudinal stringers.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Wow, great pictures, thank you! I learn much better from pictures and diagrams than words.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

gonandkarl wrote: ...pictures of the hatches just taken for which I had no time to dust not one of my forte.
That's OK, Karl, I can relate. Not sure which I like better, the admirable pictures of the fastidious and superior craftsmen on this forum, or the ones from us ordinary mortals.
This sure looks like a fun part of the build.
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

gonandkarl wrote:Hi,
Now that I at last kicked out Windows of my notebook after having hated it for the last 25 years and installed Linux my Uploads of pictures work a mile faster and therefore I took a few to hopefully answer your questions.
Linux Mint makes me :P
Fuzz

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Fuzz,
You write LINUX Mint me :D
Does that mean Linux is a peppermint in Alaska ?
I was a computer professional for 40 years and hated Windows from the beginning but had to use it on all PC s of the various firms I was employed for the only reason because the working collegues hardly needed teaching about using PC s because they also had one at home. But since I am not employed any more and using just my Lenovo Notebook with Windows 7 I installed the free Linux software on it and will live happy from now on. ( I installed Ubuntu which is an open source software platform that runs everywhere from the smartphone, the tablet and the PC to the server and the cloud. It was created originally by Linus Torvalds a scandinavian software developer) Try out Linux or you know all the above anyway and You only wanted to joke about a Mint.
Sorry that I got a bit sidetracked on this interesting New AD14 build thread.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

SIdetracked is OK. I am still a computer professional (25+ years). LINUX is definately better than Windows but Macs are my favorite.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

waytootall wrote:SIdetracked is OK. I am still a computer professional (25+ years). LINUX is definately better than Windows but Macs are my favorite.
20+ years here as well. Actually wrote a few things in the early Linux kernels. I don't use linux at all at home (I don't count chromebooks for the wife and son as they are more appliance). All my systems are Apple. All my peers use Apple. The only IT folks that I know that use Windows are people do nothing but windows server or desk side support. Even then, some of those folks use apple at home.

There might be something to the fact that a very large number of IT professionals use Apple products professionally and personally.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

gonandkarl wrote:Hi Fuzz,
You write LINUX Mint me :D
Does that mean Linux is a peppermint in Alaska ?
Karl when I said Linux Mint I was speaking of a distro. Mint is made using a Ububtu base. They took the base system and improved it a bunch in my opinion. Others may disagree? I have been using it for close to ten years now and have always been happy. My computers are duel-boot so I can have Windows also if I need it. I only go there to play solitaire :lol: One of my kids also uses it and is pleased with it, she is in collage. The wife and son both use Apple but I am not a fan. Different strokes I guess :doh:
Fuzz

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

Finally had a free weekend last weekend so I made some progress. I got the cleats installed to support the cabin sole and experimented with pour foam to add buoyancy and to help fill the gaps at the edges enough for epoxy fillets.

Here are the battens made from pine 1x2s from Lowes except for the rear under-seat inside cleat which is a 2x2 because I ran out of 1x2s.

The single cavity partially filled with foam was an experiment to figure out how much I would need. This is 1 quart of 2-part 2lb foam. So I figure a gallon more will do it for the cavities I want to fill.

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall »

This past weekend I got the sole epoxyied in place. It was cold (for Florida) so I had to work with the boat in my garage, which makes it a bit cramped as you can see:

Here are the pictures of the in-place sole and I have started taping it in. The 2 circular holes are the centerboard pin access. I have screw-in covers for them.