ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan »

Michael, I had to go back through your build to see if you had painted the exterior hull. It appears that you have (?).
That being the case I don't see a problem taking it for a run from the build point of view, but I would make sure that everything you can get at topside has a good coating of epoxy on it.

I understand your dilemma, but a bigger issue may be the legalities. Should the boat be registered and does it need to be insured before you water test it, or do you just take a punt?

To register it do you need a builders plate? Technically you don't require one for an owner-built boat but I figured it would be easier to just get one - so I did.

Insurance is trickier and maybe you don't need comprehensive insurance but third party cover is probably essential. I think its gonna be hard to get insurance without taking to the point where its looks reasonably complete. In my case I had finished painting the exterior hull and had the decks and cockpit to the primer stage. As I was going to trailer my boat I just wasn't game to take it out of the yard without insurance.

For me, fairing the decks and cockpit was quick and easy - not the chore that fairing the hull was, so getting to the primer stage was relatively easy. I am still working on finishing painting the decks and cockpit, the hatches, rub rail, side rails etc - some 6 months after I splashed the boat.

Now the selfish part of me is hoping that you don't splash it before the end of September because I will volunteer to be the "chase" boat - but I am pretty busy before then. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

apologies, duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by glossieblack on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Eric, Jaysen, Fuzz x2, cape man, Mr Paul, Tom, and Lee.

Cupla things, based on your valued comments gents.

She's already faired and primed externally. And she's not going to be officially splashed until she's finished.

But in the meantime she may have a quickie it-never-happened full moon rat rod test run. Too see if things work the way they are meant to, are in the right place for ease of operation, etc.

My latest thinking is to get a coat of anti foul over the primer and up to a 3" line above the anticipated waterline before any rat rod test run.

My boat painting guru friend and his partner are coming for to lunch and a few cool ones tomorrow, so this will be explored further then. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Why mess it up with antifoul if you aren't going to leave it in the water?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

You may have a point there. I'll see what the paint man says.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi glossieblack,
Anti foulings - the ablative kind anyhow have to be in the water fairly soon after applying from my understanding and kept wet. Since mine needed to be coated while inverted and not seeing water anytime soon, I went for Pettit (I think Unepoxy) anti-fouling which can stay dry for an extended period. I will give it a fresh light coat prior to launch. From my research back then, it was the only type I found. And to boot, not all antifoulings out there are available in Canada.

Build on :D
Marc

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee and Marc.

My paint man reckons the etch primer and high build primer he’s sprayed on will handle rat rod test runs fine, so long as the boat is not left in the water for any length of time, because what’s been applied is slightly porous.

His recommendation is to pull the boat out of the water between rat rod test run sessions, so that the hull can dry out while modifications are being made, before putting her in the drink again for the next test session.

When testing is finished, he recommends thoroughly cleaning, degreasing, and letting her dry out for a few weeks, before final fairing and painting.
cape man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:06 pm After all she's nothing more than an oyster scow and a camping platform... :D
Pithy, amusing, and very close to the mark cape man. :lol:

Because scows are usually flat bottomed and blunt ended, whereas Skinnydip is pointy bowed and with a sculptured bottom, from here on in I'm going to describe her as nothing more than an oyster workboat and camping platform. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

His recommendation is to pull the boat out of the water between rat rod test run sessions, so that the hull can dry out while modifications are being made, before putting her in the drink again for the next test session.
When testing is finished, he recommends thoroughly cleaning, degreasing, and letting her dry out for a few weeks, before final fairing and painting.
Sounds almost easier to fair and paint the exterior hull before any rat rod test runs! :D (Says he who is about to lift the motor off so he can finish the transom and some plumbing in the bilge).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Pithy...hmmm. Been awhile since I was called pithy. I'll wear it. 8)

Barraman has a point on the paint. Know you need to run it to test her, but if your painting her anyway, why not get the outside done first? Especially if you have a "paint guy"...

Loving this thread. Sorry for the occasional attempt at humor.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:36 pm Loving this thread. Sorry for the occasional attempt at humor.
Please don't stop, you hit the funny bone sweetly each time. :D