ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

Beautiful! Well done captain.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fixed the player link for you!

Glad to see you and the bride are back. You were 3 days from an annoying status check message. Looking forward to the post trip recap of events.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you GB!!! Welcome back!!! Jeff

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

glossieblack wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:02 am We've crossed the Noosa Bar back into the Noosa River after a wonderful fourteen-week cruise. :D

The only viable track back over the bar entailed taking the swell and occasional breaking waves side on while traversing the half nautical mile long gutter along the north shore beach.

The drone footage below shows the current gutter. Where we entered the gutter is best seen in the lower right-hand corner of the screen around the 2 min 10 second mark of the clip.
Looks like you had to almost beach her to slither through that - amazing.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome home GB glad you had a a safe cruise. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The water is much browner than I have seen it before. Is this caused from all the rain in your area lately? Did you have to run almost into the beach and then parallel to it to get into the river?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Barra Man, cape man, Jaysen, Jeff, Rickk and Tom. :D
Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:51 pm The water is much browner than I have seen it before. Is this caused from all the rain in your area lately? Did you have to run almost into the beach and then parallel to it to get into the river?
Yes, yes and yes. 8O
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

So Michael, have you hung up your Captain’s cap for 2022, or just called in to Noosa for some R&R before heading further south? :doh:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:20 am So Michael, have you hung up your Captain’s cap for 2022, or just called in to Noosa for some R&R before heading further south? :doh:
Not sure. We are hoping to head south the 1000+ nautical miles to the Australian Wooden Boat Festival which is in February 2023. Unfortunately post Covid the Festival has received record numbers of applications, and we've missed the first cut. We're on a stand-by list but will only get a slot of other boats pull out. If we don't get an acceptance by month's end, we'll have to pull the pin given the time we judge we need to safely sail down to Tasmania. Time will tell if we head south or stay put.

I rowed Feather Pram from Great Sandy back home this morning and re-oiled her this arvo. Satisfying work. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

The oil is working. Looks awesome.

Go with my suggestion. Enter the pram. Sail down, anchor nearby, and row the pram into the festival. Declare your really tired as you came down from Noosa.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman