ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Congratulations!

It will be 30 for Mrs and me this year. 24 more and ill might have a clue what I’m doing. Last night Mrs asked me “what do we have left to do before we can start getting Lil Bit More off the dock for some sailing and some overnights?” Looks like I just might be able to inspire some “youngsters” like you have.

Hopefully you have enjoyed your day. Looking forward to the next set of photos.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations GB, really great stuff!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congratulations and many more! :D We will celebrate our 48th in December.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the wedding anniversary congrats BarraMan. Jaysen, Jeff and Tom. :D

Wind and sea-state conditions have been pretty ordinary these past few days, so we stayed holed up in Pancake Creek. Snug but wet with much rain.

Today we decided to break out and take what the open ocean threw at us for three hours until we could turn to port and take a more sheltered inland water-way option - the Gladstone Narrows (first image). Heavy rain most of the way.

The adventure had an unfortunate start when I foolishly failed to adequately clear the northern sandbar to the entrance to Pancake Creek (second pic).

Naïvely thinking I'd safely cleared he entrance; I went forward to the mast to unzip the sail bag and prepare for hoisting the main. Suddenly a large breaking waver swept over the foredeck, knocking me to it.

Fortunately, I had my safety harness on and clipped to the mast, and I suffered no more than a bruised hip and ego. :roll:

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Looking at that track I’m not sure “foolishly” is a fair assessment. Either the bar is slightly more pronounced or just about anyone would have said “clear!” I’m just thankful you’re a lot smarter than me and tether in. I need to follow your example and keep it on when out of the cockpit.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen. It's no big deal clipping-on when leaaving the cockpit to go forward. :D

Today we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn, the equivalent of the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere.

For us, the crossing is a celebration of entering into a world of clear aqua-blue waters over sandy bottoms, clear blue skies, and warm winter weather, although clearly this is not the case always.

Each year, after crossing the Tropic of Capricorn, our first anchorage is a Great Keppel Island (first image).

Today we did so by completing our inland waterway adventure early in the morning then sailing north to the Rosslyn Bay Fisherman’s Co-op where we purchased of-the-trawler-fresh fish and prawns, before heading east to Great Keppel Island (second image).

A memorable day's sailing. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It’s less the inconvenience and more the “oops, I forgot”. Just a habit I need to get into. Being more inshore than offshore sailor hasn’t developed that safety habit. Time to change that.

That’s some fun sailing. How much of the inshore is sailed vs motor sailed vs motor? I live on the US east coast ICW and if you made a drinking game out of every sailboat you saw traveling via sail, you’d always be sober.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Michael, are the 'Narrows' as narrow as they appear to be on Google Earth? :doh:

I have plans to fish down there next year! :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I don't know what it is but white sand beaches just mean your on vacation and your enjoying your self. Fresh fish and prawns sound great for a meal on a boat. YUM. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:57 am Michael, are the 'Narrows' as narrow as they appear to be on Google Earth? :doh:
I have plans to fish down there next year! :D
There'll be plenty of room for your freat big barra boat. Are you going to stay at the fishing camp at The Narrows itself?
Jaysen wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:48 am That’s some fun sailing. How much of the inshore is sailed vs motor sailed vs motor? I live on the US east coast ICW and if you made a drinking game out of every sailboat you saw traveling via sail, you’d always be sober.

I reckon our long term average would by sailing 30%, motor-sailing 60%, motoring 10%.
TomW1 post_id508304 wrote:Wed May 17, 2023 6:10 pm I don't know what it is but white sand beaches just mean your on vacation and your enjoying your self. Fresh fish and prawns sound great for a meal on a boat. YUM. :D
You've nailed it Tom. :D

Two days ago we sailed and motor-sailed from Great Keppel Island northwards somne 45 nautical miles to the wilderness if Port Clinton.

We'll be here until mid-week sheltering from strong winds and large seas.