ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by cape man »

Living the dream!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You watch out for those Bull Sharks as far as I have heard they are nothing but nasty. 8O What beautiful territory you are sailing it. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

It seems the position I installed the gps-based tracking device which has been producing the passage-route images I have been posting here this past month has been occasionally (why occasionally I do not know) corrupting the gps signal of the chart plotter. I have turned the tracker of, and the chart plotter is not missing a beat. If this proves to be the fix, I will relocate the tracker.
Interesting Michael! I have the same Spot Trace GPS tracker in the console of my boat in close proximity to my chart plotters. Never had an issue, but I suspect your chart plotter may be different from my Humminbirds. :doh:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful GB!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

This past week we've been cruising north-west from The Whitsuday Group of Islands to Horseshoe Bay, Magnetic Island, just off the coast of Townsville (aka BarraMan-ville).
Will call you in a few days BM. :D

First pic shows our three legs: 1st Gloucester Passage to Cape Upstart, 2nd Cape Upstart to Cape Bowling Green, 3rd Cape Bowling Green to Horsehoe Bay, Magnetic Island.
Second pic is of Gloucester Passage at the western end of the Whitsundays
Third pic is of Cape Upstart
Fourth pic is of Cape Bowling Green, Australia's longest sandspit.
Fifth pic is from Great Sandy in Horseshoe Bay.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Challenge to say who's having more fun...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

cape man wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:51 pm Challenge to say who's having more fun...
A challenge I very happily concede. You're tackling a lifestime's bucket list stuff, so go you good thing! :D I'm just cruising. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Your up there Michael ....................... and I’m down here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

BarraMan wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:56 am Your up there Michael ....................... and I’m down here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As will be the case at times until one of us is pushing up daises. :wink:

But I reckon theré's a reasonable chance that we'll cross tracks in Hinchinbrook Chanel when Great Sandy is heading up to or returning south from Lizard Island, or we're returning through Townsville later this year.

In the meantime, enjoy Yamba, Iluka, and go fish the Solitary Islands. :D

Today we sailed from Magnetic Island to the fleshpots of Townsville's Breakwater Marina (pic 1), and were allocated a berth next to a 137 foot long new friend (pic 2).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Arrr, the cruising life.

This morning, laudromat duties in the marina. This afternnon, pack-horse duties between local food and bev suppliers and the marina.

And guess what?

I had a great day yarning and shooting the shit with fellow boaties. :D :D :D