ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by TomW1 »

Good to hear from you! I thought about you last week when I saw it had been nearly two months since we had heard from you. You take care amd keep us up to date on your plans.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Really happy to hear from you! Sounds like another great adventure is upcoming :D
Little surprised to hear you needed to replace the cutless so soon. Are you running in some really gritty waters?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Lee, Jaysen, Tom and Fuzz.

Fuzz, you'll recall that twice in early sea trials of Skinnydip, transmission pressure plates were destroyed by excessive vibration. The cutlass bearing coped a flogging at the same time. When the vibration problem was resolved by changing the trannie, Skinnydip ran fine but with a worn cutlass bearing, now replaced.

Jaysen, I'm preparing Great Sandy for our annual winter cruise, this time to Lizard Island some 1000 nautical miles northward. About the same distance as Miami Florida to Newport Rhode Island by sea.

Lee, looking forward to catching up in Townsville or Hinchinbrook Channel.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That voyage sounds like the stuff of my dreams. Still waiting for the docs to clear me for any water fun. Not really supposed to be working on them but it’s as close as I can get for now. Looking forward to some vicarious sailing in the coming months!

Fair winds!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Jaysen, I hope the doc gives you the all clear for sailing some time soon.

I'm about to patch up dings in Great Sandy's deck and coach house. She's an all timber boat, so water ingress is the enemy. Where the protective paint and anti skid skin has been breached, I'll feather back the edges and apply 2-part barrier undercoat then 2-part top coat.

But first I need to get the decks and coach house sparkling clean. Great Sandy has been on her mooring buoy for some some four months now, and became covered in bird shit. I've got the worst of it off, but stubborn staining remains. Anybody have suggestions for removing bird shit stains from 2 pack linear polyurethane marine paint?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

Chlorine.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Vinegar
Muriatic acid (very diluted)

Those have been my go to solutions of late. Mostly on gel but should work on paint. I’d test it someplace discrete.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and Jaysen. I'm getting the best results using a lightly abrasive bathroom cleaning cream. Once completed, I'll need to wax and polish the gloss trim strips.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

For the past seventeen years I've been sanding back to bare wood then applying six to eight coats of varnish on the timber trims on Great Sandy nearly every year.

No longer. After using timber oil on Feather Pram and being impressed by the protective results as well as the ease of application and refreshing, I'm going to gradually convert Great Sandy to oiled timber trims.

Today I sanded back then applied six coats of oil to Great Sandy's portside coach house windows. Perhaps not quite as Bristol bronze as varnishing for a week, but it looks good and is every bit as effective protecting the timber.

Can't wait to slip Great Sandy's mooring, hoist the sails and go cruising again.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice GB!!! Jeff