ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen »

Probably too much of an American attitude, but keep a couple 12lb anchors and some 1/4" rhode handy for anyone that comments "that ain't varnish on that trim". No one will miss them.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 am Probably too much of an American attitude, but keep a couple 12lb anchors and some 1/4" rhode handy for anyone that comments "that ain't varnish on that trim". No one will miss them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You might need a bigger anchor depending on the size of the person. :wink: Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks for the laughs Jaysen and Tom. :D

Too hot and windy to work on deck on Great Sandy today, so I started on her annual diesel engine maintenance today.

Pumped out her engine oil and replaced oil filter. Replaced two diesel fuel filters. Replaced raw water impellor. Checked coolant. Checked and re-tensioned alternator belt. Will purchase new engine oil and refill her tomorrow, and she'll be good to go for another season's cruising. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Engine maintenance is so satisfying compared to engine repair.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:50 am Engine maintenance is so satisfying compared to engine repair.
I know when I did both for a living it was more profitable to do services. But I specialized in diagnoses and engine performance more than engine repair.
glossieblack wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:12 am

Too hot and windy to work on deck on Great Sandy today, so I started on her annual diesel engine maintenance today.

Pumped out her engine oil and replaced oil filter. Replaced two diesel fuel filters. Replaced raw water impellor. Checked coolant. Checked and re-tensioned alternator belt. Will purchase new engine oil and refill her tomorrow, and she'll be good to go for another season's cruising. :D
Hope you guys have a great and safe adventure with very few issues.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks cape man and OQ. :D
cape man wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:50 am Engine maintenance is so satisfying compared to engine repair.
Agreed! Great Sandy's annual engine maintenance now completed. :D

Have spent the past couple of days dispassionately coming to terms with continuing long range blue water coastal cruising in Great Sandy as I approach my eighties (currently 76+ years).

The truth is that over the past few years, at times judicial hoisting and/or reefing the mainsail has been delayed or avoided, at times increasing risk. It's time to get assistance.

To this end I'm recruiting the assistance of an electrical winch handle. I've ordered a cordless Makita 40V brushless right angle drill with 130Nm of torque, and a Harken winch bit.

I'm confident it will outperform the state-of-the-art eWincher electric winch handle, for a quarter of the price.

The winch bit arrived today - pic attached. The Makita should arrive in a few days time - will post pic.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Leash the Mikita to something “not a glossie”. Once in the water they are useless devices. 😂

I agree that the angle wrench is smarter than the purpose built stuff. Never understood why folks thought otherwise. In both cases I’d be concerned with startup torque causing drops (hence the leash). I’m eager to see how you like it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

[Have spent the past couple of days dispassionately coming to terms with continuing long range blue water coastal cruising in Great Sandy as I approach my eighties (currently 76+ years).]

It's just a number.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

cape man wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:24 am It's just a number.
I’ll second that! :D

At 72+ I probably fitter, healthier and just as active as I was at 62 or even 52, yet society says that I am elderly and therefore irrelevant! :doh:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 am
cape man wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:24 am It's just a number.
I’ll second that! :D

At 72+ I probably fitter, healthier and just as active as I was at 62 or even 52, yet society says that I am elderly and therefore irrelevant! :doh:
I am now in my 70's also but am no longer as frisky as I was 20 years ago, too many surgeries have knocked the wind out of my sails. Going to PT twice a week and working out on my own to try. to get some movement back in my joints. Keep from having joint replacements and don't gain a lot of weight. I am 50lbs over my college weight and just lost 20lbs.

I hope you all stay healthy, wealthy and wise. :D

Tom