Super Light SC16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Super Light SC16

Post by cape man »

While am confident this boat will be very seaworthy when done, don't want cross the river here in it! 100 miles upstream on the southern shore of the Amazon, east of Belem. This is a BIG river!

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Been humping it at work but got some time today to work on the boat. Taped the outside and inside.

Not the cleanest work I've done but she aint coming apart!

Thanks to the Cracker for the tape!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

You're very welcome. I take it the care package arrived alive :D Not sure it was enough tape, but it should be enough epoxy and fillers to finish her up. Boat looks great!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

More than enough tape, and if I use all the epoxy and filler she'll be too heavy. Thanks again my friend.

Going to work some more on it tomorrow. Will say the epoxy was a challenge today. Had to work in small batches and fast, even with the medium hardner. It's hot!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Started early, but it's already mid 80's here and 125% humidity! Based on the condition of the stems on the canoes after the boys use them, decided to add some more tape to the bow.

Then gave everything a coat of epoxy, about 16 oz total.

Here's the dip in the hull I spoke of earlier that is more apparent now that its getting a little shiny. Right between where frame A and B would be.

I think I can fix it from the inside, but will post my idea here before doing anything.

May put another coat on this afternoon as this stuff is curing FAST in this weather. Will place an order for some cloth for the outside.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I think that dip may just fall out when you flip the boat, or you could probably use a jack and a block of wood under it to push it out. Either way. With a 2 hp outboard it probably won't matter a bit anyway, but it would bug me and yall know how I get :lol: I'd fix it before I put any more glass on it.

Hot here too. High 90's every day and 100% humidity. Glad I'm not sanding a boat this summer :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

Not worried about performance, but like you I think it will bug the s... crap out of me over time if I don't fix it now. There's a point on the chine on Clara where the wood went wonky and I kept going... :roll: :roll: It does not go away when she's flipped, but I can push it out without a lot of pressure.

Here's my idea in a rough napkin drawing. Take a 2-3' piece of 1X pine and bring everything together with some small bolts, epoxy that on the inside, pull the bolts, fill the holes and glass over the outside.

I just ordered enough 4oz cloth to cover the outside and a deck. I have two sheets of ply left and the more I look at this thing the more I like the idea of a self-bailing, completely open deck. The weight is now maybe 30 lbs, so I think I can still get this in below 100 and have the deck. The "brace" above would be below that deck so never seen.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Looks great Capeman!

I did basically the same thing on my GV15 build. I had an area in the last 8 feet that had some rocker in it. I bolted 2x4s across the planing area to where it was completely flat, then flipped the boat and installed all the frames on the inside, removed the boards and flipped it back over and added one more layer of fiberglass on the outside to help keep it all straight. I guess it worked out well, because she planes great and I'm getting mid 30s mph with a 50hp :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

cape man

Post by cape man »

STOP THE PRESS! EMERGENCY!

I have almost finished a gallon of epoxy and my first 5 gallons of BBB!

Running to Tampa to get supplies!

Added another 6 oz batch of epoxy to the hull before I go...

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

8O 8O 8O Hope you've got more where that came from :D What type of beer is your BBB?

I've got 5 gallons of a Coffee Brown Ale and 5 gallons of a Centennial hopped Blonde in the basement. Tranferred into the secondary today. We did a huge craft beer fundraiser for my oldest kid's school in April (yep you read that correctly :lol: Catholics don't mess around). 3 of us made about 20 different styles of craft beer and had alittle more than 100 people show up 8) Great party, great beer, and Uber love us.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one