Pacific NW FL12 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
enolja
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Pacific NW FL12 Build

Post by enolja »

Alright all of the frames are glued in and the boat is looking pretty good.

The next step on my list is to work one box at a time and setup my putty fillets and fiberglass seams on all of the interior seams in the boat.

So what do I do about the gaps? I've got 1/4" gaps in some areas between the sides and bottom, and other places. Just fill them in with putty? That's going to be a lot of putty!

Also - how should I fillet and fiberglass areas that are stitched? Take the bow for example, there isn't anything really holding it together at the moment other than the zip-ties. Should I make some fiberglass pieces of "tape" and join it on the outside in-between the zip-ties so I can remove them and use fillet on the inside seam?

abahambi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by abahambi »

For those gaps... if big, then support the reverse side with some duct tape before filleting. The strength will come from the glass once you glass / epoxy tape the joint. If really big, like >3/4" wide, then try splicing the gap with a piece of ply cut to loosely fit the gap. Duct tape backing would be needed in this case for sure, but quite fixable.

I had my share of gaps too. (photo top right)

In progressing from plastic ties to stitched panels I filleted between stitches inside and out...then glass-epoxy taped between stitches on the inside (photo top left)... flipped again, and put on the first continuous layer of tape on the outside (photo bottom right).

Some folk simply bond over the tie on the inside, and cut it flush on the outside before running the outside tape. Sounds like less work but I found the short stub of plastic tie annoyingly frustrating in the sanding / finishing, and I could not disguise the lump created by the stitch on the inside, so I've move away from that idea. If these cosmetics do not bother you, then it may be the way to go.

enolja
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by enolja »

Awesome thank you - I wasn't sure if the small stitches of fiberglass would be enough but thats the route I'll use I think.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think maybe one of the first steps new builders should do is glue two scraps of wood together with epoxy and let it cure, then try and break them apart- it's really strong. I don't think you will need strips of glass between the stitches, just some epoxy putty should do the trick.
Hank

abahambi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by abahambi »

Not sure where Pee Wee was going with the comment but on reconsidering I think he has a point here. Since you have already bonded your bulkheads and box frames you have very short runs between frames. There is very little chance that you would get sufficient racking or twist in the hull to split a fillet on the seam even if you decide to turn the hull, so for your case I think Pee Wee is correct. Fillet between ties and then remove ties for glassing of the joint would work out great.

enolja
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by enolja »

I'm nearing completion of the FL12. The seats are in, rubrails are on, and I just have some finish work left to do.

I do have a question for you folks though. Basically everywhere on the whole boat along the fiberglass seams I have this situation going on:

I'm not sure what to do about this seam. Do I just sand it down?

Also, does that fiberglass need more epoxy, because you can still see the weave pattern a bit?

Thanks.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It's quite normal. Sand it lightly, then fair it out with Quickfair or Epoxy/Microballoon slurry. You spread on the slurry, then drag a straight edge along it. Let harden, then sand. It often takes several passes, depending on how picky you are.

Dougster

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

pee wee wrote:I think maybe one of the first steps new builders should do is glue two scraps of wood together with epoxy and let it cure, then try and break them apart- it's really strong. I don't think you will need strips of glass between the stitches, just some epoxy putty should do the trick.
I think that should be a sticky somewhere and in the building notes for every plan :!: Great idea Pee Wee

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

I could be wrong in what I'm reading here between pee wee and fuzz, but you do have to lay a strip of fiberglass cloth
(called tape) on a fillet of epoxy and wood flour mix along the seams for strength, Period.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

your plans should tell you what fiberglass to put where, but usually at least one layer of tape goes on each side of the join between hull panels. I was saying there is no need to put short pieces of glass in to hold things in place, the dabs of epoxy glue are strong enough to hold the plywood while you remove the ties and run your fillets.
Hank