building xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: building xf20

Post by MrPaul »

I want to put the tessilmare 40mm rub rail they sell here on the boat and have not put the wood rub rails on yet. The rub rail is only 1 5/8" from top to bottom and looks like part of it would need to go below the wood rub rail. Would the wood rub rail be too weak if it were only 1 3/8" top to bottom if I make it out of double laminate 3/8" ply?
The plans say it's structural.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I've sharpened the bottom of the transom, the exit of the tunnel, and the last 8 feet where the sides meet the bottom to a knife edge. Should I do the same to the sides of the tunnel?

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I put the silica mix on my boat tonight so I can start fairing next week. I don't know if it's going to turn out as smooth as I would like and have a couple of questions.

If it doesn't come out as smooth as I want it, can I put quick fair over the silica mix?

Will the graphite stick to quick fair?

Any help is appreciated.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

If it doesn't come out as smooth as I want it, can I put quick fair over the silica mix?
Yes
Will the graphite stick to quick fair?
Yes, no problem.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks Larry.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Been doing tons of sanding and fairing and can't seem to get some spots fair. Namely the bow. The blended fairing mix seems to run. What is the ratio for the silica/microballoon to resin ratio I need to use?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I start with it thin, and make every mix progressively thicker, ending up with something like peanut butter or mayonnaise. And then I use Quick Fair for the last couple of passes to finish it up. It usually takes me 5-7 fairing rounds before I'm happy. But I'm real picky and want it as perfect as possible. :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks Larry. Do you have a mix ratio? I have to get it right on the first mix or it hardens in the cup...even with slow hardener.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

No. I don't have a ratio, I just add the thickener until it looks right for the job. Amounts will vary a lot with temperature, and take more filler in hot weather than it will in cold. I highly recommend Quick Fair for the last finish coats.
I have to get it right on the first mix or it hardens in the cup...even with slow hardener.
Don't leave it in the cup! As soon as you mix it, just dump it on the hull about where you want it and spread it out some. The more surface area it has, the longer the working time will be. It won't last but a couple minutes in the cup in hot weather, but you can get 15 or 20 minutes if you spread it out immediately.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

That's what I did on the last batch. It started cooking in the cup before I could get the consistency right and I had to dump and spread before I had a hockey puck in my cup. It ended up drying way too thick with a lot of the micro balloons not well blended. Came out a bumpy mess and I had to sand a lot of it away. Looks like I need to make smaller batches or wait for cooler weather. Thanks for the advice Larry.