building xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: building xf20

Post by pee wee »

If you don't want to/isn't practical to dump it on the hull, dump it in a paint roller tray liner or some other flat surface that the material can be spread out on. One of the tutorials shows a piece of cardboard covered in packing tape used as a palette. The main thing is to spread the material out so it can't build much heat.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Keep your resin in an air conditioned place and bring it out only when needed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

jacquesmm wrote:Keep your resin in an air conditioned place and bring it out only when needed.
Thanks Jaques!! ... I only have 1 fridge. My wife's gonna love this.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I use a plastic cutting board to dump it on. Just clean it with acetone use again.
Novi 23 finally launched !

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Thanks guys. I bought a Styrofoam ice chest and the cutting board. Hopefully this helps. I've used 3 1/2 bags of silica/microballoon mix and have 1 1/2 bags + 3 quarts of quick fair left. Most of the boat is still not fair. Trying to get it done without having to order again before the flip.

My neighbor just finished fairing and painting his whaler and it came out great. I'm trying to get similar results on the xf.

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn »

Mr. Paul, I did my bottom fairing in 32oz batches, mixed all with a drill I bought a cheap short paint mixer from local home builders store and it work perfect. Dumped it on th hull and spread out with a large painters edge then last pull was with a piece of aluminum angle iron. Worked perfect and fast. Just a thought
Capt. TW

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I'm hoping to be done fairing in the next week. I want to put scuppers on the sides of the boat. I thought I would raise the floor 7" and put them through the sides 7" from the bottom even with the floor where it meets up with frame d. I will cover them with clam shell scupper covers. My question is...with the scuppers 7" from the bottom and 4 feet from the transom, will there be problems with water coming in through the scuppers at the boat ramp when I'm putting it in the water? The boat is going to have a 70 hp yamaha 4 stroke which weighs about 260 pounds and the ramp we usually use is not super steep.

Any feedback is appreciated.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Raise the sole 7"?
7" above the designed level of the floor?

No problem with water during the launch but why raise it that much?
As designed, the boat does not take water over the sole. See the pictures of some of our meetings: we had up to 20 persons onboard and no water over the sole.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I want to raise the sole about 2.5 - 3 inches above the designed level. 7" above the bottom of the boat. Scuppers will be 1.5" in diameter. We do a lot of wade fishing and you always bring tons of water into the boat when you re-board after wadeing.

The reason I'm asking is because I read that one of the previous builders had some issues with this type of scupper. I believe he had a heavier motor on his boat, a 115 optimax if I'm not mistaken.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Hi, 7 inches from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the drain scupper is perfect.That's pretty much exactly how I did it.
I have front and rear casting decks, so I put the scuppers against the rear bulkhead.
The reason for the clam shell cover over the drain is to prevent the water that is flying off the chines from entering the hole.
Trust me, the clam shell is an absolute necessity :wink:
I built my clam shell out of epoxy and glass that I poured into a mold made of pvc pipe.
I will try to dig up a pic for you.

Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146