Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Anouther SK13

Post by Dougster »

Yes, Jacques, I remembered the statement "always measure from the baseline" when I was driving to work this morning, and thought that was something you wrote. That simple phrase describes the whole thing completely. I sat down to post that just now and found your post. Sorry to use your time that way. I knew I knew, but got confused, then it hit me over coffee in the car early this morning. Funny how the mind works.

Oh yeah, and thanks Remedy, I did a search for Brian C and found that post, with figures all there. I believe I have seen that before too.

Senior moments Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Dougster »

I'm still fussing along. Today I finished a little milestone. All the panels are spliced and cut, along with frames, stringers, and their notching. I'm about where I'd be if I'd started with a kit :) Here's a pic of the frame stringer set up:

The frames settle down about 3/16" below the stringers. Dunno why but it doesn't matter much to me. I want things loose and fiddley like this to float around while I fool with the the "origami" thing and stitch the panels. That's always a bit of a struggle, I guess, but after the LB22 build I have learned to be patient with it and just keep fiddling. Anyway, that starts tomorrow.

Here are the panels, sitting over a taped outline of the sole I laid down to get a feel for the perspective of things. The rocker is the one referred to by CLarry as looking like his grandmother's. I read that post late and responded but it was quickly buried under another page so I'll mention again it's origins. It's not old, but my wife bought it new 15 years ago because it reminded her of, yep, her grandmother's :D She lived in southern Louisiana on a small farm all her life, and the wife spent some very happy summer times there. Gotta love grandmothers.

Loved his Dougster

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, got to love grandmothers. Mine have been gone a long time and these chairs are well over 100 years old, from a GA dirt farm. Amazing how similar the newer one is to the old. Cool stuff. Boat's looking good Doug 8)

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks Larry, nice front porch pic. Needs somebody in the chair snapping green beans :D

First effort today seemed to go well. Here's the bottom panels stitched with the stringers/frames set along with the transom. This is just gravity and stitches at work with no efforts of "persuasion" yet. I needs some gaps in places along the keel, but it seems to want to right. I'll put a couple of screws in the transom tomorrow and try the side panels. For not I'm letting the ply rest. The ply mind you, I'm not tired at all. 8)

Sure is fun to be building again.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks like a really good start to your SK14!! GAJeff

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Needs somebody in the chair snapping green beans :D
There have been many somebodies in these over the years, snapping beans, shelling beans and peas, shucking corn, picking peanuts and pecans, peeling peaches and potatoes, churning butter..... these chairs have seen more food than you and I put together. My grandmother raised 14 children on that farm and they grew everything they ate. Much of it was prepared sitting in these rockers 8)

The boat is coming together nicely. You haven't even dougstered it once yet :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Dougster, I found this old family picture for you, with the chairs in their original location. I took it sometime in the 1970s. That's my grandmother sitting in the center chair, surrounded by her 14 children. My mother is the oldest and the one holding the stick. Not sure what she was doing. I have an aunt and a uncle both younger than I am.

JoshuaAhab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JoshuaAhab »

Not sure what your DOT workers are like in Georgia. Here in Nova Scotia at least, your picture reminds me of the answer to the question "How many Department of Transportation workers does it take to change a light bulb?"

A small hijack here regarding grandmothers. One of my favourite memories of my grandmother are from when I was kid in the seventies. We'd slaughter a cow and put the "variety meats" to use. She'd bring out hot loaves of bread from the wood stove, slather it with fresh butter and... make me a cow tongue sandwich. The tongue is the best tasting part of the cow. Funny how little things like that stay with you.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Food and family are probably some of our strongest memories, and like you guys, I am fortunate to have good ones too. As to not dougstering the build yet, I would say be patient, I'm sure I'll find a way :lol: Not much time for boat work today as I am playing a little gig at a some geriatric facility over in New Braunfels. I play for an hour at their happy hour, which does include alcohol and starts at 2:30, but I'm sure they'll say its 5:00pm somewhere.

Says Cheers Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Today was stitch the panels time. First, as building notes suggests, I put a few zip ties in the middle of the side panels, then propped up the transom and used a screw, lightly placed, for each panel:

Then I just started stitching, from the stern to the bow.

Thing went well. l I like the 3/4" PVC pieces in lieu of much smaller dowels I used on the PY12. It ended like this. I ran out of time for the fiddle to get the nose closed up, that's for tomorrow.

There are still some issues with the frames. Frame A in the pic, is 5/8" too high. I don't see an error in the panels or frames when I just now measured. Not a big deal, easy to trim it, but I had similar problems with the PY12 and wonder what's going on. The side of Frame A is longer than the width of the side panel at it's point of contact. The plans don't show the width of the side panel at that point, and I'd like to know that figure. It would be nice to have that measurement when you lay out the panels before you cut them, as a check. Here's a pic of frame A

The same thing with frames C and D, only they are only 1/4" and too small instead of too tall. A pic shows:

These are are easy fiddles to fix and I'm happy with it. It's only the first effort at stitch up on this build and things look pretty good. That was not the case with my PY12 build.

So it's happy days for now Dougster