Another SK14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Browndog »

Dougster’s experience is very helpful advice. The ventilation problem will be helped much more by lowering the motor rather than changing the propeller. I had the same problem with the FS-19 and had to remove the jack plate and remount the motor which required a bunch of holes to be filled and then re drilled followed by priming and repainting the transom.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another SK14

Post by Dougster »

Good news here. First I called a prop shop---no deal, no 4 blade props to fit that little tohatsu 5. I thought, well I'll cut the transom down but first should try different trims. It has been set on the second hole up, with the first being the lowest trim. First I moved up to the 3rd hole, thinking that might push the stern down a bit. What it did was make the thing awful, wrong move. Then I tried moving it down to the first trim and that's it. Way better, you have to try to make it ventilate. I ran for two hours that way from idle up to 3/4 throttle, with no problems. Despite the trim being all the way down, the nose will lift and she'll plain. 12.4 mph at 3/4 throttle. The lake was too flat to check if she can handle any little chop, but I was able to cross a few small boat wakes without incident.

So I put my skill saw up. Calling good 'nuff.

Dougster