Page 1 of 1

Another SK14

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:39 pm
by Dougster
Here goes another one :D I got some nice Okoume from Fine Lumber at Austin. First I set up two sheets end to end:

The table they sit on was from the jig that made my LB22. I cut it in half, put coasters on the two halves, and built up a table on them. Sure has been nice to have waist height work tables. Anyway, I decided to scarf the whole two ply pieces together before drawing out the panels. The plans called for 6" width 6 oz tape, but I had some left over 12 0z and used it.

Then I drew the first panel and cut it out, flipped it over and traced it's mirror image.
Image[/URL

[URL=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/dougster49/media/SK14build%20start6-6-16%20020_zpsxwutjnfr.jpg.html]Image

I clamped the panels together and went over the edges with a plane and sand paper to insure they were uniform.

Next is to repeat the process for the side panels, but I am a little confused. The nesting diagram clearly shows the side panels as not being perfectly straight on the bottom, the chine edge, but the drawing diagram doesn't seem to show the measurements for the curve.That's diagram A 317/9. It looks like the bottom of the side panels is straight, just like the bottom panel on that pic. Which is it and if it curves how do you draw it :doh I'm hoping one of you guys ahead of me on the build can clue me in.

Building again Dougster

Re: Anouther SK13

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:30 pm
by Cracker Larry
Glad to see you back at it Dougster :D Not sure the answer to your question.

Just wondering. That rocking chair in the first picture, is it old? I've got 2 that look just like it, same style and color. They came from my grandmother's farm house and it's said they came from her mother, which puts them well over 100 years old.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:43 pm
by jacquesmm
If it is the FS13, one of the side panel edges is straight. I see it straight on the nesting drawing and on the panels dimensions.

What worries me is that you say drawing A 317/9.
317 is the SK14, the FS13 is # 315.
A 317/9 is the SK14.
I know that I did send the SK14 drawing for free to some who had bought plans for the FS13 but asked for a wider boat.
Could you be mixing the 2 sets of drawings?
The SK14 side has curvature and the dimensions are shown.

Look at the title blocks of the drawings, what do they say?

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:20 pm
by jacquesmm
I checked again and it looks like you are building what we call the SK14, not 13. That is design # 317.
I see the curvature.
The picture below shows that drawing. I removed some of the dimensions to show only the ones for the side we discuss.
That is part of sheet A 317/9.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:45 pm
by Dougster
My bad Jacques, it is the SK14, I misstyped. My sheet doesn't have those bottom figures (1/2", 7/8", 1", etc.) It does have the 4 1/4" and 5 3/8" figures as well as the top ones. Its clearly "Flats Paddle Board SK14, plate dimension A number A317/9. I think I'm good to go now. You might check to see if the pdf file is missing those. Thanks for being so quick.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:57 pm
by jacquesmm
I'll check the PDF package, it maybe a PDF printing bug.
I think I show all the dimensions there but if you need more, I"ll send you a PDF.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 pm
by Dougster
I'm OK now Jacques. I just checked the original pdf file you sent on 11/9/15, and it was missing those figures too. Maybe it's already been updated. Anyway no problem, and it's been a day of good news. While we were posting back and forth the second opinion heating/air company was working on our A/C unit that was supposedly fried with locked up compressors and in need of total replacement. Just found out minutes ago the first guys had replaced the run and start capacitors but misswired them, and when this guy sorted that out, on came the compressors. No new unit :D

Cooling down in Texas Dougster

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:34 pm
by Dougster
Larry, I just noticed your post. No, the rocker isn't old. My wife bought it new about 15-20 years ago because it reminded her, sure 'nuff, of her grandmother's old rocker. How 'bout that :!:

BTW Larry, you'll know this, I've forgotten. In Jacques posted drawing, those first figures are clear, you measure up from the baseline that far. Then you measure up further for the second figure above that (which is in the plans but not on this drawing). Let's take the 7/8" figure in the middle for example. You measure up from there whatever is posted in the plans. Let's say its 10". So is that 10" past the first mark, which puts it at 10 7/8" above the drawn baseline or is just 10" up from the baseline, which would then be 9 1/8" above that first (7/8") mark. :doh: Jeez that's too wordy for such a simple thing. Maybe simpler to put it this way. Given my random 10" figure, is that the width of the panel at that point or would the width be 10" minus the 7/8" figure? I used to know but have confused myself.

Says there's nothing new about that Dougster

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:29 pm
by remedy32
Pretty sure this same question came up in a post by BrianC on 2/23/16. Jacques provided the answer then too.

Would corrections/additions like this make it to the "plan update" tab?

Bill

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:36 am
by jacquesmm
Dougster, we always measure from the same line. It says it on the plans: always measured from the baseline or "all dimensions from the baseline".
No need to add anything, no math, very simple.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:52 pm
by Dougster
Yes, Jacques, I remembered the statement "always measure from the baseline" when I was driving to work this morning, and thought that was something you wrote. That simple phrase describes the whole thing completely. I sat down to post that just now and found your post. Sorry to use your time that way. I knew I knew, but got confused, then it hit me over coffee in the car early this morning. Funny how the mind works.

Oh yeah, and thanks Remedy, I did a search for Brian C and found that post, with figures all there. I believe I have seen that before too.

Senior moments Dougster

Re: Another SK14

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:59 pm
by Dougster
I'm still fussing along. Today I finished a little milestone. All the panels are spliced and cut, along with frames, stringers, and their notching. I'm about where I'd be if I'd started with a kit :) Here's a pic of the frame stringer set up:

The frames settle down about 3/16" below the stringers. Dunno why but it doesn't matter much to me. I want things loose and fiddley like this to float around while I fool with the the "origami" thing and stitch the panels. That's always a bit of a struggle, I guess, but after the LB22 build I have learned to be patient with it and just keep fiddling. Anyway, that starts tomorrow.

Here are the panels, sitting over a taped outline of the sole I laid down to get a feel for the perspective of things. The rocker is the one referred to by CLarry as looking like his grandmother's. I read that post late and responded but it was quickly buried under another page so I'll mention again it's origins. It's not old, but my wife bought it new 15 years ago because it reminded her of, yep, her grandmother's :D She lived in southern Louisiana on a small farm all her life, and the wife spent some very happy summer times there. Gotta love grandmothers.

Loved his Dougster

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:45 pm
by Cracker Larry
Yep, got to love grandmothers. Mine have been gone a long time and these chairs are well over 100 years old, from a GA dirt farm. Amazing how similar the newer one is to the old. Cool stuff. Boat's looking good Doug 8)

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:05 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Larry, nice front porch pic. Needs somebody in the chair snapping green beans :D

First effort today seemed to go well. Here's the bottom panels stitched with the stringers/frames set along with the transom. This is just gravity and stitches at work with no efforts of "persuasion" yet. I needs some gaps in places along the keel, but it seems to want to right. I'll put a couple of screws in the transom tomorrow and try the side panels. For not I'm letting the ply rest. The ply mind you, I'm not tired at all. 8)

Sure is fun to be building again.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:48 pm
by Jeff
Looks like a really good start to your SK14!! GAJeff

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 pm
by Cracker Larry
Needs somebody in the chair snapping green beans :D
There have been many somebodies in these over the years, snapping beans, shelling beans and peas, shucking corn, picking peanuts and pecans, peeling peaches and potatoes, churning butter..... these chairs have seen more food than you and I put together. My grandmother raised 14 children on that farm and they grew everything they ate. Much of it was prepared sitting in these rockers 8)

The boat is coming together nicely. You haven't even dougstered it once yet :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:22 pm
by Cracker Larry
Dougster, I found this old family picture for you, with the chairs in their original location. I took it sometime in the 1970s. That's my grandmother sitting in the center chair, surrounded by her 14 children. My mother is the oldest and the one holding the stick. Not sure what she was doing. I have an aunt and a uncle both younger than I am.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm
by JoshuaAhab
Not sure what your DOT workers are like in Georgia. Here in Nova Scotia at least, your picture reminds me of the answer to the question "How many Department of Transportation workers does it take to change a light bulb?"

A small hijack here regarding grandmothers. One of my favourite memories of my grandmother are from when I was kid in the seventies. We'd slaughter a cow and put the "variety meats" to use. She'd bring out hot loaves of bread from the wood stove, slather it with fresh butter and... make me a cow tongue sandwich. The tongue is the best tasting part of the cow. Funny how little things like that stay with you.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:52 am
by Dougster
Food and family are probably some of our strongest memories, and like you guys, I am fortunate to have good ones too. As to not dougstering the build yet, I would say be patient, I'm sure I'll find a way :lol: Not much time for boat work today as I am playing a little gig at a some geriatric facility over in New Braunfels. I play for an hour at their happy hour, which does include alcohol and starts at 2:30, but I'm sure they'll say its 5:00pm somewhere.

Says Cheers Dougster

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:50 pm
by Dougster
Today was stitch the panels time. First, as building notes suggests, I put a few zip ties in the middle of the side panels, then propped up the transom and used a screw, lightly placed, for each panel:

Then I just started stitching, from the stern to the bow.

Thing went well. l I like the 3/4" PVC pieces in lieu of much smaller dowels I used on the PY12. It ended like this. I ran out of time for the fiddle to get the nose closed up, that's for tomorrow.

There are still some issues with the frames. Frame A in the pic, is 5/8" too high. I don't see an error in the panels or frames when I just now measured. Not a big deal, easy to trim it, but I had similar problems with the PY12 and wonder what's going on. The side of Frame A is longer than the width of the side panel at it's point of contact. The plans don't show the width of the side panel at that point, and I'd like to know that figure. It would be nice to have that measurement when you lay out the panels before you cut them, as a check. Here's a pic of frame A

The same thing with frames C and D, only they are only 1/4" and too small instead of too tall. A pic shows:

These are are easy fiddles to fix and I'm happy with it. It's only the first effort at stitch up on this build and things look pretty good. That was not the case with my PY12 build.

So it's happy days for now Dougster

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:31 pm
by Dougster
I'm still putzing along, a couple hours a day. Frame and stringers are in. I ran out of wood flour before I finished all the fillets so started cutting cleats while waiting for more flour.

My best news is pictured here:

That's a McClains 14'-17' "jon boat" trailer. Academy had it for $600. I emailed McClaine's in the Houston area for a quote to compare and they said it would be $1500 from them but I could do better at Academy. Better is right 8O It's to their credit that the email steered me that way, even though I had already priced it there. There is a smaller one at 14' for $500 but I didn't like the little 8" tires and skinney central channel. Same springs on both of them. McClaine's rates it to carry 740 lbs. It's a big relief to find an affordable trailer as I've had no luck with used ones around here except at silly prices.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am
by wegcagle
Looks fantastic Dougster. You're cruising along a pretty good pace on this build. Love the idea of turning your old jig into a work table 8)

Will

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Web, I'm really enjoying this little build. The pace seems about right for me. Once I got into my sixties I came down off plane and turned into a displacement hull. It seems more about the going than the getting there. I'm very curious how this little hull will function. For now I want a trolling motor only, but on the bow, not transom. That may make some weird trim, given the battery will be up there too. Later if I add a little outboard, well, maybe that's too much :doh: First thing is to see how stable she is. It wouldn't do to turn turtle with a big dollar troll motor and battery on board, getting soaked. I'll have to get her launched to see I guess.

Cruising at 7 knots Dougster

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 pm
by Dougster
Finally finished putting cleats in today. Not very exciting pics, but here's a sample. I made a little jig for the cleats the doubler fits on (there's a big "doubler" backing plate under one part of the sole and the cleats must be recessed by that thickness). Here's a pic of the jig and one of the cleats. The jig is the aluminum bar stock with the appropriate thickness of double sample clamped beneath it.

Here's a bow cleat.

Stern cleats.

Still not finished in this pic, and out of clamps!

The clamps get tedious. This little guy only calls for clamps on one side of the strings and frames, but there were still 31 needed!

Next comes foam and sole. I'm not sure how to deal with the seam on the sole, as it doesn't fall on a frame and "free floats" on foam. Can't see any info on it in the plans. Glass tape on both sides? Butt block underneath? Dunno yet :doh: Adive is welcomed.

Dougster

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:16 am
by topwater
I would just glass both sides with 6" 12 OZ tape and be done with it.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 am
by jacquesmm
I prefer a butt block, it will add stiffness.
We built a couple of prototypes and I seem to remember that the seam was over the double thickness. If not -> butt block.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:40 pm
by Dougster
I can do a butt block. It's not over the doubler, at least not where I've put the doubler. I may have put it in the wrong place though, since I lately noticed the plans narrative saying it was in the middle compartment. Mine is on the second compartment from the stern, which I got from one of the side profile sketches in the plans. So my doubler runs from 3' to 6' measuring from the stern. Maybe I need to add a bit more of backing past that :doh:

Dougster

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:59 am
by stickystuff
OK Dougster, Where are we at at this point? Got to be close to launch. ???? :doh:

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 pm
by Dougster
Heh now, you know I might be old, but by golly I'm slow. Life got a bit in the way the last two days but I'll post some pics tomorrow. I worked out the butt block thing for the sole and started with the foam, More of that tomorrow. I laid out the panels for the sole and marked them with measurements taken from the build. She's a bit more broad at the sole in the front half, but only by 3/8", which is pretty good to me. I ordered a bow eye and poured some thickened epoxy in the nose instead of a backing plate. Getting there but lots to go. Pics tomorrow.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:48 pm
by Dougster
Here's some current pics. The first three show the sole butt block solution. I glued in cleats for the blocks, then on the third pic show one of the blocks dry fitted. This should let me lay the two sole pieces in one at a time instead of having to deal with the whole long scarfed piece at once. The tird pic shows the pencil marks where the sole joint will be.

p://s124.photobucket.com/user/dougster49/media/foam6-23-16%20008_zps8d2uezab.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Now here's the rub rail start. First pic is one 3/4" rail dry fit, the second is with a doubled rail, one inside the first:

I don't know which I prefer :doh: Is the doubled one too busy?

Finally I used all my 2 gallons of foam and didn't even fill half of the needed volume. Surprised me. The day was hot and the foam seemed to expand well. Gotta order more.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:46 am
by Eric1
Looking Good!

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 pm
by BB Sig
Dougster,

Did you stall out or just get busy? Looking to see what you can do with this boat.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:59 am
by Fred in Wisc
Might be too late now, but have you considered a slotted inner gunwhale trim? I did one last year and have been super pleased with it- it's a handy place to tie down darn near anything, and makes the boat super easy to drain, doesn't catch water like a solid one when the boat is tipped over. Plus it looks really cool.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 am
by Dougster
Hey guys, no stalling and not busy. Been on vacation :D Brother-in-law has new beautiful house on even more beautiful Vancouver Island so I've been dodging the Texas august heat. No fishing but did a great boat trip and saw whales, island deer, bear, sea lions, and many birds, including one lone Puffin. I'm ready to jump back on the build now but am back to a little money work each week as I start my semi-retirement :wink:

Fred, thanks a lot for bringing the slotted inner gunwhale up. It's not too late and I had thought about it earlier but gave it up. You got any pics? I like the pros you mention of having it.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 pm
by Fred in Wisc

I made these from some nice 1 1/4" thick clear pine, sliced it about 5/16 or 3/8 thick. The blocks are about the same thickness. It seemed easier to glue it all up first and then install rather than trying to line up all that stuff at once, and it worked pretty well. rounded over the corners before installing, then ran the roundover bit around the openings on top to radius the corner that was part of the boat hull.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:46 pm
by Fuzz
Dougster wrote: No fishing but did a great boat trip and saw whales, island deer, bear, sea lions, and many birds, including one lone Puffin.
Dougster
Dougster seems like you enjoyed seeing the Puffin. They are all over the place out of Seward, Alaska. Even though I get to see lots of them I still stop and watch them very often. I think they could be my favorite bird. :P

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 pm
by Dougster
Thanks a lot Fred, now I remember those pics. I like the look and think I'll give it a try. I'm trying to decide the sequence. Glass first then rails or rails first then glass. I guess it's a bit more trouble to glass with the rail in, getting the glass to fit up against the rails nicely, but it seems more natural to put the rails in now to finalize and secure the shape/lines. That's a good tip about putting the spaces on the rail first, then gluing it in.

Fuzz, that Puffin was said to be further south and earlier than usual and the first the boat has seen in two years. My wife is an avid birder and I tag along, like she tags along on fishing trips. We've both learned a bit about the other's hobby that way. I've only seen the Puffins three other times and they are just cool looking little guys. I love the water up in the Northwest and your area I'm sure, but it intimidates me with the cold and big tides. It's another world from the Texas gulf for sure.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:09 pm
by Fred in Wisc
I did outer rails to get the shape, then inner cloth and the inner rails over. glassing light cloth around all those obstructions looks like no fun at all.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm
by Jeff
Very nice Fred!! Really nice wood work!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:36 pm
by Fred in Wisc
Thanks Jeff. It ain't perfect but I'm pretty proud of it.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:39 am
by Dougster
Looks perfect to me. My pics to come will bring us all back to reality :roll:

Dougster

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:00 pm
by Dougster
I'm working through a sore throat bug, probably caught on the plain home, but had energy for the outside rubrails.

The sole is still just dry fit as it needs more foam. I didn't use dowels or screws on the rails. They bend on easily enough so I just slathered goo on and used all my clamps. Tomorrow I'll fiddle with the inside rail with offsets idea to see how it looks.

I hadn't looked forward to returning to the South Texas heat, but I got here and we are in a cool wave. Low 80's and lots of thunderstorms. My rain gauge showed 4.6" accumulation. That's a big deal for us. Lakes and rivers are up and they feed down and help wash out the back bays at the gulf.

Happy in Texas Dougster

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 am
by Dougster
I've been fussing along. The first 1 gallon kit of foam wasn't half enough. I know this 'cuz I ordered another, used it, and still had to order another half gallon. Someday I'll get it all foamed and be able to glue down the sole. Here's progress to date on the inside slotted rubrail thing. Using Fred's pics I as a tutorial here's my first one setting up:

Now here it is dry fitted:

There's a bit of fiddle where it hits the front deck:

I cut a bevel on the front spacer for it and clamped in down, dry fit, to get this.

I'll trust in Quickfair to finish it later. Yesterday afternoon I glued down the doubler. It's two layers of quarter inch ply.

More foam came late yesterday so I'll use that today. I'm struggling a bit with the front bow eye. There's not much room on the nose for an eye and bow roller to meet, so I may need to go lower at a funny angle. I'll post pics for later.

Been looking at batteries for front trolling motor. Motor is to be Motorguide 55lb with anchor lock. Takes only 12 volts, I'm not willing to go with 2 batteries. The Motorguide used 50 some odd amps at full power, maybe half that on half power, etc. So the battery needs 60AH or better. I've been reading on batteries, amp hours, reserve charge, etc. Looking at VMAXtank batteries for now. They're all heavy dang things, but a good trolling motor with anchor lock is what I want.

Hoping the best for folks in the storms way.
Dougster

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 am
by Jeff
Dougster, looking really nice. Would you give me the total amount of foam you used? Thank you, Jeff

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:40 am
by Fred in Wisc
Nice looking rail there, Dougster.

If you are planning to round over the edges, here is what worked good for me- make up both rails so they are identical, clamp them with the slotted portions together, then run a router with a roundover bearing bit around all the openings and the outside edges. Otherwise it's impossible to get the bottom edges once installed. After install, round over the hull edge in all the openings. Having a little radius there rather than the square edge makes them a lot nicer in use- no sharp corner to lean on, chip finish off, etc.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:32 am
by Dougster
Great pointer Fred, I really appreciate it and will give that a go. Jeff, I used two 1 gallon kits, then a good half of a 1/2 gallon kit. By 1 gallon kit I mean one gallon of resin or what ever it is and one gallon of hardener, so a one gallon kit means two gallons of mixed foam. Thanks again Fred :D

Dougster

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:03 pm
by Jeff
Thank you Dougster!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:42 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looking good Doug 8)

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 pm
by Fred in Wisc
I like how you precurved that inwhale as you glued it up. that's clever.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:32 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Fred, I think I get how you used the router. I'm terrible with one but will try it. As I get it, you clamp the rails together, insert against insert and route out the the two size rectangles (big and little) that makes, top and bottom? Dunno if that makes sense. Anyway, I'll start fooling with that Monday. Today was glue down the sole day, always a milestone I guess. Not much to look at, but here it is, with what Spokaloo (earlier forum member) called some "SHS" clamps.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 pm
by terrulian
Great stuff, and I love the slotted inwale, something I considered but didn't do.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:49 pm
by Dougster
Here goes following Fred's instructions on routering the inwale.

That little router is a Bosch Colt. I have a bigger plunge router that wants to eat me. My only claim to fame with the thing is I've only butchered wood, not me (yet) with it. This little Colt guy is more my speed. Thanks to Fred for the directions, I'd not have figured it. Now, how do I paint in there after it's glued on :doh: Little bitty brush?

Dougster

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 am
by Fred in Wisc
Yep.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:37 pm
by Dougster
OK. I'm still creeping along. Transom knees are in with fillets and tape. Tape is sanded, that's why it looks so white. I took time to use a round over bit around the knees and fussed over getting them centered and straight.

Next I started on an addition I decided on. The front deck is so tiny, that with a trolling motor and it's pad, there's no room for more than a little 6" or so access hatch. So I decided to extend the deck (I haven't cut it yet) a foot and put in a bigger hatch there so there's room for a small anchor and line.
Looks like this (hatch for the deck is laying on the sole for perspective).

The deck that hatch sits in is only 1/4" ply, but it must hold up to a guy stepping up on it. The span is 12" wide by 32" on the longest side. Dunno. When I cut it I'll lay it on some 2 x 4 pieces and see. The hatch will shore it up some, but I'll not be surprised if it needs some more.

Ready for fall weather Dougster

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 pm
by Fred in Wisc
Looking good Dougster!

I like the idea of a small dry storage space like that. Nice to have a spot to tuck your jacket and lunch and not have them soggy.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, really looking good!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:41 pm
by seaslug
For the hatch support I would first cut the opening that the hatch will sit in, then install a cleat port and starboard, tight to the cut out, but I would make a notch in both bulkheads that the cleat drops into. Epoxy the cleats into the notched bulkheads and to the underside of the 1/4" ply deck, and if that doesn't give you enough support you may need larger cleats, or support that goes from the deck to the sole. Mike

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 pm
by cvincent
Dougster your boat looks great. I have had good luck with the cabelas advanced angler AGM batteries. I have a group 27 battery (59 lbs) in my D15 and use a 55# minn kota. I have fished many hours without running the battery down, these boats are so light. Cabelas regularly puts these batteries on sale and will ship to your house free.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:51 pm
by Uncle D
Hey Doug. Good to see u haven't lost ur touch as a builder. Say Hi to Shirley from Julie and I.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 pm
by Dougster
Don! There you be, good to hear from you. I hope you can make the Port A boat show the second week of Oct. Shirley and I will be there. Jacques too I hear, but dunno about anyone else. That show is fun, seeing all different builds. Thanks for the tip on cabelas AGM's vincent----I've been looking a VMaxTank batteries on line but I'll check out Cabelas. I want around 60amphours and 60 lbs or less.

Seaslug, I can see what you suggest and think I'll take that advice. I'm like Fred and want that little dry space enough to go to the trouble. Gotta stand up to reasonable abuse though..

Hope to see you in Port A Don,

Dougster

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:52 am
by BrianC
What kind of hatch is that? I'll be stating my SK14 build soon and like the idea of some dry storage.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 am
by Uncle D
Thanks for the heads up on Port A. We will want to be there. Been too long away.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 pm
by Dougster
Brian, that's a Tempress hatch. A search will find them right off on amazon. They're not expensive and can't be expected to be watertight of course, but I have them on my LB22 and like them fine.

Don, let's be sure to hook up if possible. Shirley remembers you and Julie well and asked if you'd be there. My cell is 210 eleven eighty three. Shirley's is 210, two one eight, seven five nine five. Looking forward to it.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:02 pm
by JohnC
Hey Dougster,
Is your cell also two one eight? Bonnie and I are going to try and make Port A next Saturday (10-08-16).
John

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:46 pm
by jacquesmm
I hope the two of you will be there, with or without a boat.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:58 am
by Dougster
Hey John, my cell is two one zero, four one five one one eight three. Hope to see you and Bonnie there. I'm definitely gonna be there both Sat and Sun. Will be there by early afternoon on Sat. See you there Jacques, sans boat. I'll bring the SK14 next year.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm
by Dougster
Finally made some more progress. It took me a long time to fair the cockpit. I used Quickfair and I must be the slowest at fairing in this group, but I finally got it good 'nuff a few days ago and got the inside slotted rails fit. As soon as they dried I flipped her. Photobucket gave me fits so when I finally got it working I loaded all these pics quickly before it failed me again :? Anyway here's the faired cockpit and slotted inwhale:

That last pic shows my Rube Goldberg clamping effort to get a little twist in the rail. Seemed to work :D Then came the flip. The pics tell the story. She's heavy enough to make it a tiny bit of a struggle, but not too much. Next are pics of the foredeck dry fitted with the access hatch up front and the hatch to the little dry(ish) storage behind it.

Then I flipped her. The pics tell the story.

Now back to the sander :roll:

Dougster

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:59 pm
by peter-curacao
Very cool boat! 8)

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, nice progress on your SK14!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:29 am
by Dougster
Thanks Jeff. She is a cool little boat, not thanks to my workmanship but the design. Now your project, Peter, the hydroplane, that is truly cool. Brave too I think :wink:

Dougster

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am
by Fred in Wisc
I like your flip technique. And the slotted rails look great.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm
by Dougster
Thanks a lot Fred. I owe you for the encouragement on doing the slotted rails. I like 'em too, enough to decide to finish them bright. I tested some off cut pieces with Sikkons Cetol yesterday and like it ok. Not decided yet though. I'd like to use EMC clear to try it as I have some left over in blue and wouldn't have to buy the reducer and brushing whatever for it. You have to buy a whole quart though and that seems a touch silly. Dunno

Dougster

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:07 pm
by Dougster
I got the bottom glassed yesterday. I used the 6 oz woven the BOM calls for even though I hate the stuff and have had my share of troubles with it. I went slowly and used small knap rollers from Home Depot. I know some prefer squeegees but my LB 22 hasn't fallen apart yet and I used rollers, so I figured I'd keep dancing with the girl I brung. I worked one half first, then the other, wet on wet with a 6" overlap. I cut the cloth to fit, marked where it lay on the hull with a magic marker, and pre-measured some resin. Then I rolled a coat of resin on where the cloth fit, layed out the cloth, and rolled more resin on top. Seemed to go fine :)

Seems good to go. I was gonna fill the weave 'till I remembered the dern skeg. It's gotta be glued on with no chance of screws, so I need to glue it down now before I put on fairing mix. There are no dimensions on the skeg in the plans so I'm checking in here.

1. I figure 6 feet long or so and 1" by 1" Sound right?
2. I have a piece of what I call iron wood (ipe?) that's good but I don't trust gluing it with epoxy. Not confident of oak either
3. Box store has SYP (glues well but seems soft) Oak, and Cedar.

I can track down some Doug Fir if need be as well, but SYP would be easier. Maybe screw a strip of aluminum on the bottom of it. Anyone have opinions?

Dougster

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:37 pm
by terrulian
I used this stuff:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... do?pid=222

You can see my installation here if you scroll down:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=460

So far, so good. It really takes a beating much better than the epoxy/graphite mixture.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 am
by topwater
Dougster i have glued up Ipe wood samson post and all the trim in my bunk area and also the trim that holds my drop down boards
for the companion way. If you use it sand the glue area with 80 grit paper then wipe down with acetone, keep wiping until the rag
comes away clean " it will take a while" then glue it up .

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:27 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Terrulian, that's a good price on the half oval. Wish I'd put it on my LB22. I'd heard about the acetone trick Topwater and since it worked for you I think I'll go with that, especially because I have a piece on hand (it's left over from when my house was build 14 years ago 8O) Any way I ripped it in the table saw and got a 6' piece that is 1" by 1". Here it is dry fit on the hull. It has some warp in it but the straps persuade it pretty easily.

I need to taper the front pretty well but am not sure on whether to taper it to a knife edge or leave a bit. Wouldn't want to leave too much, maybe 1/8". Thanks again guys for the input.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
I glued some ipe on the GF18 I built. Based on research. I first cleaned it with acetone, then flamed the glue edge lightly with a propane torch. It hasn't come off yet :D

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:45 pm
by Dougster
Man you're always a couple of bends in the road ahead of me Larry. I tapered it, cleaned it real well with acetone, and glued it down this afternoon. I bet it works. Heck, it's not much of a skeg at 1" tall and 1" wide :roll:

I found some old West fairing mix from very long ago and will use it to fill some of the weave and save on Quickfair. As for the IPE, I'm not thinking it needs a metal shoe. She'll not be running 30mph into a reef. If the skeg ever needs work it'd be easy to roll the trailer onto some grass, pull the boat off and roll her over to repair.

Flamed with Propane :!: :!: Wouldn't want to Dougster that.

Dougster

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:03 am
by Cracker Larry
Ipe is a very oily wood and what I'm told is the flaming removes the surface oils.

No, you won't need a metal shoe. They don't call ipe ironwood without good reason :D

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:09 am
by topwater
You don't have to worry about starting a fire either , it has a fire rating of concrete :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:06 am
by Cracker Larry
Yes it does :!: Ruins saw blades about as fast as cutting concrete too! Only wood I've ever cut that throws sparks.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:05 pm
by Dougster
It's also crazy heavy. So it hates any blade, won't bent, is way to heavy, but...

Those are my front door, south facing steps of ipe. 15years old, no treatment, no maintenance.

So I think it's terrible stuff but wonderful :doh:

Here's the IPE "skegette", glued down. If it falls off I wonder if I'd even know it.

Time to start fairing the bottom.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:22 pm
by Outlaw
Nice job. Have you Finnish it yet?

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 pm
by Dougster
Thanks, 'law. No not finished. In fact just today I finished most of the fairing and have the bottom and sides ready for primer. I meant to post a pic tomorrow since it's been so long, although it won't look like much. I am slow at fairing, mostly because I only work an hour or two a day if that. Still, it was a happy moment this afternoon when I put the sandpaper, long board, and power sander away. Dunno how fair it its, but she's smooth. We'll see how she looks in primer. It's been a busy time with other things this past month and will continue to be for another week. Then I'll be more steady on it. Bad luck I'll be putting on the graphite bottom at the coldest time of the year. Getting there though.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 am
by Dougster
Not much to show, but here's the major fairing finished.

Now here's two coats of Primer.

Now here's an example of the gillion little boo boos and pinholes to fix. :roll:

Says Merry Christmas Dougster

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:52 am
by Jeff
Getting there Dougster!! Merry Christmas to you as well!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:55 pm
by Fuzz
I only dream my boo-boos were that small :D
Boat is looking good. Those are sure nice looking hulls.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:35 pm
by Dougster
Holidays took me off the build, but I'm back. I'm struggling with pinholes in the primer, or maybe they were already there. Another forum member, DavidTx turned me on to a Sikkons product (Kombi Putty), which works way better than Quickfair for me. It goes a long way. Put on a drop and spread it hard with a putty knife. It dries in under an hour and sands in seconds. I used on my LB22 build with no ill effects 3 years later. Here's a pic. Ignore the roller, except to say it worked well for the S2 primer and was cheap from Harbor Freight.

I think I'm approaching "good 'nuff" status and getting ready to graphite/epoxy coat the bottom. Gotta mark some kind of waterline for that and thinking maybe just a hair below the scupper in the stern :doh: :doh: Of course we just started a cold spell which isn't the best time for that. the graphite thing.

Dougster

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm
by Browndog
Looking good. I'm about to start fairing my canoe and will follow that with epoxy/graphite on the bottom too. WIll probably use a heat gun to try and get the epoxy graphite to lay a little smoother if it is cold when I get to that point. You gotta like Harbor Freight. Just was there resupplying on Monday.

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 pm
by Dougster
Here she is with 4 coats of a graphite bottom. Some nits, some bleed at the tape line, but I'm OK with it overall.

The sides need a quick abrasive sand and one more coat of primer to cover the bleed through fairing spots you see, then paint. I'll go with EMC since I have some left over from the PY12 build. Enough for the sides at least. Not sure the catalyst is still good so I mixed up 2 TBS and tested it on a plain piece of ply scrap this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'm looking for but if its hard and smooth tomorrow I'll call the catalyst good. I need to wait for a good day to paint, 'cuz I'd like to do three coats all in one day, with no sanding in between.

Then I have to decide about a clear coat for the slotted rubrail, since I can't stand to paint the wood. For now it's between Cetol and EMC clear, with EMC a distant second given the expense of buying a whole quart for so little use. Anyone's ideas are appreciated.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:23 pm
by JohnC
Lookin good Dougster! You will be on the water in no time!
John

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:14 am
by topwater
With the Ipe wood on my boat i used deks oil " i dont know if thats how you spell it' You keep putting it on every 15 min until
it won't soak up any more ,then wipe it off. As long as it's not sitting out in the sun every day it lasts a long time. easy to apply.
Did the wheel with it also.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 pm
by puppydrumn
Dougster, your SK14 looks great and I really enjoyed viewing your thread on your build. I am currently building one from a kit, My kit came with 2 doublers that are 24" long and fit between stringers (the given space is 35 1/2) Plans show them in the middle between D&C frames, I noticed on your build the entire space between that area is covered: Did I miss something in the plans or should it be butted up against C frame? Thanks for your input :)

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 am
by Dougster
Hey 'drum, page 5 on this thread shows my doubler, which I think is from frame C to D. Earlier pics show a butt block that I fit underneath the sole which may have confused things by looking like a doubler? Anyway, I put it between C and D and at the 35 1/2" length you mention. I guess we don't even need it if we don't use a grab rail, but I do want the rail.

BTW hello John C, how are you doing? It's been a long time, we ought to meet up here or somewhere. I'm playing at the Redbud tonight, come on by if you can for beer, burger, and blues :D

I never hear of the Deks topwater. It looks good and I like the ease of re-applying oil. Too late for me though, I already put on three coats of Cetol. Looks good but who knows for how long. I do think she'll live in the shop on the trailer, so no sun.

I have a couple of pics of the Cetol and will update with them later. The sides are painted and she's flipped, waiting for the foredeck to be glued down today or tomorrow. Getting close, need to order the trolling motor.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 pm
by Dougster
Here are a few recent pics. This is the slotted rubrail with Cetol:

Here's the bow eye being cut with a dull hacksaw blade. Pita. Had to cut two more for the stern and used a fresh blade: much better.

Here's the bow eye set up. I don't like the angle, but it fits and I have a big old chunk of wood as a back up plate. Plus she's not a heavy boat.

I just finished gluing down the little deck on the bow and will take of pic of it tomorrow with the clamps off. All that's left is topside primer, hardware, and paint. Also grab rail and battery tie downs.

Getting there Dougster

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:18 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, really nice work on the slotted rub rail!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:29 pm
by BB Sig
Looks great! Do you remember what the thickness of the spacers were for the slotted rubrail and the spacing of them? I might have to borrow that for an FS13. The wife has approved a double build. I told her no way to the plastic yak! :?

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am
by Dougster
Thanks for the support guys. BB, I'll measure later this morning and post it. Seems like the space was 4" and the spacers maybe 3" but I'm not sure. The rail material itself is pine 1 by 2's ripped in half.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 pm
by BrianC
I really like the looks of those scuppered inwales. I'll be doing the same with mine when I get back to work on it at the end of March. I thought that it would be a great way to attach various mounts for rods, anchor pins, etc. — just slide them into two adjacent slots and then fix them in place with some sort of locking mechanism (still working that part out).

- Brian

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:43 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Brian, I've had the same thoughts. If you have any ideas about a simple locking mechanism I hope you post 'em. BB, I measured the slots and it's like I remembered. The spacers are 3" long and the empty distance between them, the slots, are 4". I just finished taping them all for primer tomorrow and it was some kind of pita. Took 2 1/2 hours just to tape :help: Must be a better way, but once I got started I just decided to over do it and make sure I don't drip any paint where it's not wanted. Overkill in the end, but it's done. The new blue 3M tape I used is nice stuff and says you don't have to pull for 14 days. That's enough time for primer, a week to cure, then paint.

BTW, I owe the slotted rail thing entirely to Fred in Wisc. His explanation, with pics of how to are in page 4 of this thread. Thanks again Fred, I'g glad I followed your advice :D

Tired of taping Dougster

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 pm
by Dougster
Some progress: slotted rail finished in 3 coats of Cetol and sole and sides painted with left over EMC. Grab rail dry fit with the holes over drilled, then filled with thickened epoxy, then drilled for screws. I went for the Seaslug/Tom1 method: coarse thread stainless screws (#14) and then bed the whole thing in 5200. If Cracker Larry was here he'd of had me thru bolt all 14 of 'em. Sure miss him.

Here's the filled holes for screws and then the dry fit.

I got lucky and all the screws lined up first try :D The epoxy, by luck, was just a tiny bit soft when I drilled the holes, somewhat under size. Then, driving the screws in for the dry fit seemed to "thread" the thickened epoxy a bit. Once the whole thing is bedded in 5200 I'll not give any more thought. If I ever decide I want to remove I'll just think again.

No pic now, but the sole is taped for kiwi grip. Once that's on I will fit the Minn Kota riptide terrova on.

Plodding along Dougster

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 pm
by cape man
Lookin' mighty pretty there Dougster! I'm a sucker for the Scuppered Gunwales. They just look "nautical", and really enhance the lines for some reason. The pine looks amazingly good.

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, Nice work!! By the way, if you mount the grab bar the way you explained, it will probably never come off!! Again, nice build!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 am
by Dougster
Thanks guys, and another thanks to Fred for the rubrail recommendation and instruction. I like it a lot but it made painting a pita for sure. If I did it again I'd dry fit it on the bare hull, mark where it glues, take it off put tape over the glue spot areas and finish the sole/sides all the way through paint. Same with the slotted rail. Then glue on. Done now though and it makes mounting stuff easier. I bought a Ram mount for the Fishfinder, which I will first try clamped on the slotted rail. It'll be easy to move if need be.

After the kiwi grip I'll start on mounting the trolling motor. To me, with no outboard motor for weight distribution, it seems as if the battery needs to be in the stern. That's an 11' or 12' run and calls for 4 gauge wire. I'll have to run it under the slotted rail, along with the fishfinder's power and transducer cable. Anyone know if the transducer cable is shielded well enough or will pick up interference from the trolling motor power line? Also, choosing a battery is a pita. I hate how heavy the things get once you get up in AmpHours, but there it is.

Looking forward to splash Dougster

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm
by BB Sig
You could always go to a Lithium Ion Battery at 18.75 LBS:

http://www.lithiumbatterycompany.com/12 ... n-battery/

8O 8O 8O :help:

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm
by Dougster
Yep, I've yearned for one and priced 'em. That's better than I've seen, but still at three or four times what would tempt me. Hope the prices fall.

Says maybe someday Dougster :D

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:43 pm
by Dougster
Well she's finished. All that's left is to put her on the trailer tomorrow. I had to run transducer and power cables down both sides, which detracts from the slotted rubrail, but I was sure glad it's there to cover the wires some. I used these little tabs with slots for zip ties. Their adhesive backing won't hold up (from experience) so I got this neat 3M two sided tape, called VHB tape to stick 'em on. Seems like great stuff:

Here she is, ready to go on the trailer.

No outboard to start with, which necessitated putting the batter in the stern I think, for weight reasons. The troll motor is a Minkota Riptide Terrova, with the GPS anchor lock feature. It's overkill big but anchor lock is what I wanted. If she runs fine, isn't too tippy, and I like her, I'll eventually consider adding an outboard. Hope she feels stable, I wouldn't want to give that MinnKota a bath :oops:

Load on trailer tomorrow, probably launch on Monday.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm
by Fuzz
The boat looks really nice. Will be waiting for the launch pictures :D

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm
by csotelo
The boat is really good!

Please let us know if will be easy to walk to the bow to recover the trolling motor.

Regards!

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, really nice!! Congrats and look forward to her splash!! When you have time, would you get me some reasonably close-up photos of the trolling motor and how/where you anchored it? Again, great job!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am
by pee wee
She turned out very nicely! Love the brightwork/paint combination.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 am
by BrianC
I'm getting ready to apply the graphite epoxy to the bottom of my SK14 - What amount of did you mix for each coat?

Your build looks great! - I'm going to 'steal' your slotted rub rail design - Thanks!

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am
by Jaysen
Edit: the link isn't working... I'm contacting the webmaster since it is a forum link....

Here's the graphite coat bible... Cracker Larry's graphite method

I'll be reading it a dozen times this weekend to make sure I don't "sin" when I start the graphite application next week.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 am
by Jeff
Got it!! Jamie is working it now!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 am
by bateau-webmaster
Fixed. Thanks for letting us know!

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am
by BrianC
Thanks for the link to the CL method - that gives the proportions and the method - my question is how much to mix up for a SK14? I don't want to waste epoxy and I don't want to run out 80% of the way through the first coat.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am
by Jaysen
Sorry, misunderstood...

I think the answer for that is "it depends". It's kind of like doing glass... if you are good, not much. If you are like Jaysen, 3x "worst case". You might try a small test area. Mix a small batch and spread it with your favorite method. Consider that rollers and brushes will soak up some and on a larger hull you'll likely need more than one roller.

That said, I used about 6floz to cover the PRE SEALED bottom panels of a V12 with straight epoxy (used a 1/8th thick x 4" wide sponge roller). Given that the sk14 is a bit longer and wider I'd think 9 would be too little and 12 too much. Maybe the BBC guys can tell the total sqft of the bottoms of the the two hulls for comparison.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm
by cape man
Agree with Jaysen. About 10 ounces should be just about right.

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm
by Dougster
Seems like I mixed a half cup of resin, then the quarter cup of hardener, then a quarter cup of graphite. Three coats of that. If you guess with too little is nothing to mix some more right away and continue. Too much is a waste of course. I didn't get her on the trailer today, but did bed the two hatches in butyl tape and screw 'em down. Nothing left now. Feeling a bit nervous about the stability. If she's too tippy it's a no go with pricey Troll Motor and Sonar getting dunked. And how about moving around that grab rail :doh: Just have to see.

Jeff I used the Quick Release mount MinnKota sells. Motorguide has one as well. There is a 3/4" ply doubler under the mount. I put it in flush to cleats the bow deck rests on. The doubler reaches back a bit over a foot from the bow. So anyway, the mount is through bolted through 1" of ply, counting the deck. Here's some pics:

Well dang it, I've got two more pics but Photobucket just quit on me. The img button isn't hot and I can't activate it. Dang thing gives me fits. Anyway you can see from these pics mostly how it goes.

Dougster

*BBC-WM Edit*: you checked the "disable bbcode button at the bottom of the post, which disabled the pics/links

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:43 pm
by Dougster
Wow, when I submitted I got the above mess. I give up for now :doh:

Dougster

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:52 pm
by JohnC
Hey Dougster,
Just tried a Photobucket link, says they are doing site maintenance right now. You look like you're close to splash. :D
John

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Great build Doug 8) Very nice work :D

Hopefully, I loaded the correct photos :)

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:58 am
by Jeff
Dougster, nice install of the trolling motor!! It looks really nice on the SK14!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 am
by Dog Fish
Dougster you should be very proud of your SK, it looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it on the water and get your performance thoughts.

Brian...................

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am
by Dougster
Thanks for the good cheer folks. Special thanks to you Richard for posting the pics. And hello John, good to hear from you! A nice, probably last of the year little cool front rolled in over night. I'm enjoying a cup of cool front coffee, then going down to the shop and put her on the trailer. Finishing is bittersweet, as I took my time and truely enjoyed the build. I'm hoping for a Monday launch and an empty launch ramp :D Gotta read the trolling motor manual. The thing is a computer. You drive it from a remote control hung around your neck 8O I'll have good low tech kayak paddle on board too 8) We'll see.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 am
by pee wee
Looks like you Dougstered it up real nice! (that's using the updated definition of Dougstering, meaning well done)

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Pee Wee, but I can still old school Dougster things. Happily not on the trailer transfer though. Here she is ready to sit down:

Home on the trailer.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm
by WC53
Great looking boat! Do you have and idea on the finished weight

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, really well done!! Are you going to splash her on Monday? Jeff

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:42 am
by Dougster
Jeff---splashing on Mon or Tues, that's the plan. Re: weight, I dunno. I think I'll try to calculate it with that trailer method of measuring the tongue weight with the boat in two different places on the trailer and using the moment equations, which I don't remember. Seems like Jacques posted a link to it recently.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 pm
by Dog Fish
I would weigh everything at a truck stop , go to the ramp and send the wife back with auto and trailer while I go fish. :lol:

Brian ... wait what, It only makes sense.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Bateau Webmaster and Jeff, Dougster is ready for a status upgrade IMHO :wink:

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm
by Dougster
Dunno about expert, but I'm thinkin' I'm a better builder than captain. Launch day was a comedy of struggle. I'll call it a half launch. I got up this morning and noticed a lot of wind, but said, well, push on. Got to the ramp, no one there, but the 10 to 15mph wind was more 15 to 20. Well, push on. Noticed the battery box top blew off in transit. Dang that thing a minute and push on. Back her down get out, pull on life vest. I'd grabbed the wife's by mistake, can't possibly get it on. Pushing on. Waded in calf deep to push boat off trailer; onshore wind making it a pita. Big old rusty dock right close that was semi down wind. No room to manuever once boat was off trailer: it was gonna blow right into the dock. Push on? Well, half way. I pushed her of trailer and tied up to the back of the trailer so she wouldn't blow into dock. Climbed in. Not super stable, but ok. No trouble when sitting. Could paddle upwind with effort. I decided not to proceed any further. Getting up to troll motor to deploy would have to be in a crouch, at least the first time. Then adjust height, back off, untie get going, w/o blowing into dock. Never used troll motor before, which is controlled by remote. I did walk around the grab bar reasonably well, especially on the starboard side that is slightly counterbalanced by the aft battery. She trims slightly down by the bow when I'm standing right behind the grab rail, so glad I put battery in stern.Next week day morning w/o dang wind I'll go use the troll motor. Seems like there is a learning curve, but she floats, and I didn't tip over. You can for sure pull her over if you try to, and most likely could if you got careless. Sitting down seems fine. Call it a half launch :D

Dougster

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:09 pm
by Eric1
It may not have went perfect, but what does? You launched and it looks nice! Congratulations!! :D

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, congratulations on your half launch!! The boat looks great and so do you on it!! I am not experienced with the new trolling motors, very nice but almost too automated!! You will get it with a little practice!!! Again, congratulations!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm
by Jeff
Sorry, I intended to say that I am in full agreement with AA so I think we will need to review Dougster's Builder Staus!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 pm
by pee wee
Boat in water = splash. Congratulations, it looks good afloat! Your first sea trials have been completed, a smart captain exercises caution when it's prudent to do so.

In the first photo it seems to be floating on her lines, at least parallel to the edge of the graphite. You need to paint a pair of eyes on the bow, so she can see where she's going.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm
by Dougster
A step forward for sure. No pics of me sitting but the kayak seat on the cooler worked great. She is just slightly bow down, from the bit of water in the sole in the pic with me at the grab rail. If I sit behind it, she may be right on. BTW, someone asked about the weight. Well, I got 131lbs tongue weight with the boat cinched up to the winch: moved her back 15" and got 100bls. Then found this formula:

W - C(W1-W2)/X

W = weight of boat
C = distance between trailer tongue and center of axle (13' 1")
W1 - First weight (131#s)
W2 - Second weight (100#s)
X - Distance boat moved (15")

Gives me 324 lbs. Subtract 90 lbs for troll motor and battery, you get 234 lbs. Minus 15 ' battery wire, circuit breaker, Troll motor remote, etc.,
and call it 230 lb 8O 8O If that's right she's almost double the plans weight. Who knows, she does float well above the scupper with 180 lbs of me and 90 of troll motor/battery though.

Espert ( :roll:) Dougster

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm
by csotelo
Hey,

Congrats for the launch! She looks really good in the water!

Carlos

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:51 pm
by Dougster
No pics 'cuz I took her out alone. Next time I'll try and post some shots of her in action. Today was an easy 10mph wind and I went to another launch ramp up the river from Canyon Lake, Tx. Small, still river; no chop or waves. I am happy to report that she is quite stable in those conditions at least. I can move forward to raise or lower the trolling motor with ease. And that troll motor :D It's a minnkota riptide terrova with anchor lock which amazed me. Dead easy to use with the remote. In anchor lock mode, when it needs to adjust for wind gusts, etc., it ramps power up, so no jolts. What a fishing tool. Love it. She also paddles reasonably well against a 10 mph wind, though you wouldn't want to go too far that way.

Very pleased Dougster :D :D

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:10 pm
by terrulian
Very cool looking boat.
:D

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Terrulian, Jacques and son did come up with a neat design. Since my last post, however, she looks a little less cool. I noticed some kiwigrip coming up around the battery box where it had rubbed. I grabbed a corner and look here 8O 8O

Massive Kiwigrip failure. So massive that getting it off was a simple 30 minute job with a putty knife:

Fifteen minutes of cleanup later and she's back to basics, slick as a whistle:

Too slick I'd guess. I did hand sand it with 220, but it seems like there wasn't enough of a "key" to adhere :doh: If you're gonna screw up a paint job, then screw it up good like this. The adhesion was so poor I got it all off in a half hour! It was several years old kiwigrip too, so maybe that was a problem? I'll some new kiwi and check out the prep better. Might post upstairs in the epoxy/paint section. I'm not out much $$ or time, so it's not a big deal, but, wow!

Dougstering in Action

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 pm
by Jeff
Wow Dougster, This is the first time I have seen Kiwi react this way. Keep me up to date on this issue!! Jeff

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, did you keep the KiwiGrip in an area where it could have been exposed to freezing temps? Jeff

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:46 pm
by Newt
For a bad thing, you came out pretty good. :D

Newt

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:33 am
by topwater
When i put down my Kiwi i sanded the primer with 80 grit paper , no problems yet.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 am
by bateau-webmaster
Looks like you put it on over topcoat, and being shiny there's not enough surface area to grab onto. I'd take it down to primer in spots you want to kiwi-grip with 80 grit or coarser.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 am
by Dougster
I'm pretty sure it's the shiny top coat. The instructions say it's ok to apply over a topcoat, but knock off the shine. My little 220 grit hand sanding just didn't get it. I did notice it adhered better right at the tape line, where I concentrated more on the sanding. So no big deal, it was six or more year old kiwi grip anyway. I'll sand much better with 180 then put some fresh Kiwi on and I bet it's fine. I sure am glad I did a completely bad job of sanding. Half better would have made things a pita. As it is, it was nothing to remove.

Dougstering Along :D

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:23 pm
by bateau-webmaster
Yeah, I'm sure the age of the product didn't help. A good sanding and a fresh coat of new product should have you good as new.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:56 pm
by JohnC
Hey Dougster,
Congratulations on the splash (both of them)! 8) You'll get the Kiwi thing figured out.
Ramp 11 off of Tanglewood should be pretty quiet (that may be where you were).
John

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 am
by Jeff
Dougster, call me when you have a minute - 772.770.1225. I have tried to respond to your question regarding KiwiGrip but I keep getting "Mail Failures" associated with the email address you used!! Talk with you soon, Jeff

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 am
by Dougster
Hey Jeff, I'll call Monday, thanks.

Dougster

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 pm
by Jeff
Dougster, great and have a nice weekend!! Jeff

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:56 pm
by Dougster
I put some fresh Kiwi on this morning. The new stuff was more creamy and better looking than the 7 year old stuff that failed, though the failure was probably related more to my tepid 220 grit sanding. I sanded more aggressively, with 100 on 180 this time, and even roughed it up with 80 a bit. Here it is taped and ready for Kiwi:

Here's she is with fresh Kiwi. Pics don't do it justice, they pick up more flat spots and lines than you really notice:

I'm happy to finish this. Since I was working on her I decided to move the battery box. It was on the port stern side and looked off center. 50 lbs of battery made it feel weird too, when I stepped over to port, say to go around the grab rail, and added my 185 lbs. to that side! Also there was no good way to anchor the battery well and it bounced a bit on the trailer. I am moving it to the center aft and have already drilled/filled/redrilled the holes for nice anchors to strap the thing down really well. Had to extend the 4 gauge 2 feet but no problem there. I'll post pics of that change when finished.
Looking forward to getting her back in the water.

Dougster

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Doug, the kiwi grip looks great! I really like the bright work too! 8)

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 pm
by Jeff
Doug, I agree the Kiwi looks really good!! Any trouble this time around with the application? Jeff

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 pm
by Dougster
No trouble Jeff. For folks who haven't used it, it's the consistency of cream. I would slop a few blobs out with a big wooden spoon, then spread them roughly with a big wide brush, rake with a notched trowel, and roll in several directions with the provided roller. I'd work about a 3 foot sguare section at a time. No trouble keeping a wet edge. The whole job, including pulling the tape was 90 minutes. I wish all painting and cleanup (it's water based) was this easy.

Dougster

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:29 pm
by Dougster
BTW, thanks for check in Richard. I'm following your build and envious about your upcoming Alaska trip. It's on my bucket list.

Dougster

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:22 pm
by Fuzz
Really nice looking skiff. They just look like a lot of fun.
I sure hope the kiwi grip works out for you this time.

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 pm
by Dougster
Thanks Fuzz, I feel pretty confident about the bond. It's "fingernail tough" for sure now after two days. I was just careless with a perfunctory sanding using only 220 grit I think. Since I was taking time to re-do the sole I decided to move the battery over to the center line instead of the port side. Better balance, looks better, and just makes more since. Of course the 12' cable run to the bow wasn't long enough but I'll show how I added the extension. Dunno how correct it is.

It wasn't anchored down on the port side, where I had it, and that's no good at all. So I tossed the cheapo plastic anchor ties that came with the battery box for these. They're good and through bolted. I'm trying to post pics from Photobucket but all of a sudden it won't work. It just comes up with links to photobucket on my post preview, not a real pic. I'll try later. Here's where I bought to tie downs for the battery:

Dang, the URL won't copy. Well, it's at Kennedytiedown.com
Then go to product overview

Says dang computer Dougster

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:14 pm
by Dougster
Well< Photobucket seems to be working. Here are pics of the battery box tie down and power cable extension:

Dougster

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:39 am
by glossieblack
Just love that inwale. 8)

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 am
by Jeff
I completely agree, very nice custom touch!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 am
by Dougster
Thanks guys. I've been following your build g'black, and any compliment from you is something. What a trip that build of yours is.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 am
by JohnC
Hey Dougster,
Crossing threads here, haven't been on for awhile.
Maybe run up to your taco joint in Blanco next week.😎
John

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:46 am
by Dougster
John, sounds great. Every day is clear except Monday :)

Dougster

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm
by poleposition
Is anyone else having problems viewing the pics? I am getting a " please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting " message, and have no earthly clue what they are talking about....( maybe copy/paste the pics ( ?? )

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 am
by Fuzz
Photobucket changed they way they do business and now want to charge you a bunch of money to host your pictures on another site. Most folks have quit using them. I just load my pictures to my gallery here.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am
by Dougster
Photobucket really irritated me on this, so I'll not do anything with them again.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:22 pm
by Dougster
Bought a new toy for my SK14:

Yeah, it's a 4 stroke 5hp Propane engine. Don't want to worry about bad fuel and gummy carbs any more. Supposedly this little guy can sit unused for months and start right up. We'll see. It weighs 60 lbs. and the propane tank holds 11 lbs. The Trolling motor is on the nose and I have had its battery (50 lbs) in the stern, which I think I must move to the front, like this:

I don't like how tall the battery sits. It's an AGM and can lay on it's side but that's awkward with the battery box and lid. Kind of a head scratcher. Mounting hardware to strap it to the little 4" bulkhead is ordered. Dunno about how she'll handle the weight/balance etc.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 pm
by cape man
I will be very interested to see what you think about the propane outboard and how it does on fuel. Interesting twist.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 pm
by Fuzz
Like Cape Man said it will be interesting to see what you think of the outboard over time.
I sure hope it works. It would sure be nice to have a small engine that can sit for long periods of time and still start and run as it should.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:06 am
by Dougster
I'll let folks know how it goes. It's not mounted quite yet 'cuz the transom is too thin for the little clamps to close tight. Ordered a rubber transom pad from Jamestown due in today and then may add a small ply block, which will need epoxy and paint. Also got to get the battery moved and strapped in. I'm not at all sure about all the weight: Trolling moter 40 lbs, battery 50 lb in the bow and moter 60 lbs, propane tank, 11 lbs in the stern. Me at 180 at the grabrail. We'll see. Sure wish the little light weight12V lithium batteries weren't so pricey.

Dougster

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:31 pm
by Cbuf
Hi I'm in the process of determining if I want to build SK14 and I definitely want the front trolling motor specifically for the spot lock feature. Have you been is a situation where you dunked the trolling motor? When you drive the bow comes up, but what happens when you are at rest and a bigger boat comes by with a larger wake? Does the bow tip down enough worry? On my kayak I angle into it without issues if I don't the nose can go under. How does the skiff do when at rest when a boat comes by?

Thanks

Cbuf

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 am
by Dougster
So far so good. I've not yet run it with the outboard but am almost ready. The nose hasn't been buried in the flat water I've been in but I haven't caught any big wakes yet. It's a good question. One wake did slop a little water over a bit but it was nothing. Didn't even get any in the cockpit. Dunno about a big wake. The trolling motor is pretty secure and seems watertight enough to take a wave or so. Bass boats get that at times I think. Submersion, as in rolling over, not so much I'd think :help: The spot lock is just wonderful. I've been busy with life but have the outboard motor mounted now and will finish moving the battery box forward today.

Wish I could tell you more. I don't see me taking her out on big water, but others have. With the outboard and fuel tank in the stern and the trolling motor and battery on the nose, I'm hoping things balance well.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 am
by Dougster
I took my little Tohatsu 5hp Propane out for the first ride yesterday and am pretty pleased. The break in only allowed occasional half power bursts. She sits pretty much on her lines at rest and rides level at low speeds. The nose looks pretty low then but at half throttle the nose began to lift and she hit 11mph. The only problem is bad cavitation in sharp turns. The motor is on the second pin and could be dropped to the first one, but that just effects trim. The lower motor ventilation plate is exactly even with the hull bottom. Wish I could easily drop it an inch, but can't. I put a rubber transom guard on it, screwed in and would have to cut of an inch of transom and remount the guard. The cavitation doesn't bother me enough to do all that. The motor is for running me to a spot, then shutting down and using the trolling motor with spot lock.

Otherwise I'm very happy as is and pleased how well she's balanced. Dunno yet what top speed will be but 11mph at half throttle seemed like twice that in my bigger boat. Wind was down and the lake was too flat to find out about any kind of chop. I crossed a couple of small wakes but they were no test. I ran out to the main lake with no trouble, fussed around the coves for an hour and a half, then when docking realized I had never hitched my kill switch on! Not good, it would be easy to catch a wake and fall out, so I need better habits.

Maybe a different prop would give me more bight ? I'll see if there are any more choices for this little motor.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 am
by cape man
Maybe a different prop would give me more bight ? I'll see if there are any more choices for this little motor.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read the report...a 4 blade with some cup to it.

11 mph at half throttle is a good start! If like many other motors, the power curve is going to get better towards the top of the rpms.

A kill switch on this hull is s good idea... :roll:

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 am
by Dougster
Thanks for chiming in Capeman. A quick check on the Tohatsu website shows my prop is an 8" pitch. They have a 9" or 7" available as well. I'm not sure which one could increase the "bight". Seems like I read that more pitch is more speed and less pitch is more acceleration. Bigger pitch seems intuitively a bigger bight to me, but I'm not sure :doh: I bet a 4 blade prop is available, but I'll check around. It's a fun mission given the one I have is tolerable, so no angst.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:40 pm
by Fuzz
Probably should get the motor broke in and do full throttle testing before trying to find the right prop. But then I am sure that was the plan all along :wink: Be nice if you can get someone to take pictures of it running at all different speeds. :D

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 am
by Dougster
Good advice to finish the break in, but she'll still cavitate on turns. It does it even at low speeds. After reading a bit about it, I think ventilate is more the proper term. I can't find any definitive advice on the effect of pitch on the amount of bite from the prop. Diameter yes but there's nowhere to go there. The motor manuel suggests the antiventilation plate be up to 1" below the hull, while mine is dead even. I think the only real fix is to cut the transom down a bit. I do wish I hadn't screwed that dang rubber transom mat on it. 4 screws on each side, over drilled and filled and not pretty when you take of the mat. To move it would mean drill new ones. Eight more holes. To get rid of it means re-painting or at least touching up with the EMC paint. It's a thing, but a little one.

Dougster

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:26 pm
by Browndog
Dougster’s experience is very helpful advice. The ventilation problem will be helped much more by lowering the motor rather than changing the propeller. I had the same problem with the FS-19 and had to remove the jack plate and remount the motor which required a bunch of holes to be filled and then re drilled followed by priming and repainting the transom.

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm
by Dougster
Good news here. First I called a prop shop---no deal, no 4 blade props to fit that little tohatsu 5. I thought, well I'll cut the transom down but first should try different trims. It has been set on the second hole up, with the first being the lowest trim. First I moved up to the 3rd hole, thinking that might push the stern down a bit. What it did was make the thing awful, wrong move. Then I tried moving it down to the first trim and that's it. Way better, you have to try to make it ventilate. I ran for two hours that way from idle up to 3/4 throttle, with no problems. Despite the trim being all the way down, the nose will lift and she'll plain. 12.4 mph at 3/4 throttle. The lake was too flat to check if she can handle any little chop, but I was able to cross a few small boat wakes without incident.

So I put my skill saw up. Calling good 'nuff.

Dougster