New NC16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New NC16

Post by Grainhopper »

This is a side panel butt block.
Http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=60602

This is the bottom butt block.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=60603

Picture of bottom.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=60604

It's a little sloppy I hope to get better at it. Wasn't sure how much to put on. It oozed out after I had did my initial clean up. The weight was not too heavy. They are glued though.

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Can't figure out how to get the pictures in here

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Just a thought to consider come stitching time Doug.... I used extra long cable/zip ties. My current build is famous for being a bit of a bitch to get the bow knuckle into shape. With cable ties it made it a reasonably easy job. Have a look at page 2 of my build.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=10

With a canoe like yours, you only need a few on each side. I remember with my CC14 (like yours but 14 footer) I think I only used 5 ties per side. Apply them loose, and work your way down the hull tightening them to close the gaps and ensure she's square.

Then, with the boat sitting the right way up, put tape over the outside of the join all the way along and 'spot weld' with a thickened resin mix. The aforementioned tape stops it leaking right through. Put a nice dob between each of your cable ties and allow to cure. Then you can cut every cable tie out and she'll hold together. You then have the hull shap formed and square, and no stitches in the way. Then you re-tape the outer joints and apply your putty fillet and FG tape to the insides. When dry you flip it, sand and shape your outer chine, fill any gaps with putty, and then apply your outer FG tape.

Make sure your fillets for the glassing of the seams are of a peanut butter consistency. I got a great tip reading one of Cracker Larry's builds. I think is was him anyway... Sorry if I got it wrong... Anyway, the tip - wet out the area all along the join with resin. Using whatever works for you, put a 'fillet' of thicken epoxy putty along the seam. To get it even use the back of a spoon. Press it onto the seam and run it along the join. It makes the fillet the same thickness all the way along and results in a better looking joint. You can also use the spoon to clean up spills, dribbles or runs. Then boil the billy and have a cup of tea.. Give the fillet a few minutes to settle. Then apply your FG tape the length of the seam on top of the fillet and wet out. Make sure there's no bubbles or air left. It's good to measure and pre-cut your FG to length before trying to apply it.

Once you've done a couple, you get neater and faster at it. I'm still quite a novice but if you read any of Cracker Larry's threads you'll get a wealth of knowledge out of it. There's MANY more builder's threads worth reading mind you, so many really clever people around here, but Cracker's advice on his threads have got me on the right track over and over. Sometimes I'll read his posts just to learn general things unrelated to my own build. He's that good.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Get a paint scraper, or plastic card like a credit card or something and a spoon. You can clean up any resin or putty that's where it shouldn't be. And a spoon or your finger can run along the edge giving an even bead of putty at the join. 5 minutes cleaning when curing saves 30 minutes of sanding when dry.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Well one thing I'm going to do is get it off the floor. I'm too old and wore out to be on the floor..lol. it will free up a hand.

Doug

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Lol good idea. I did my CC14 on 2 wooden saw horses. It sat on the horses throughout the entire build. Made it easy to work on, easy to flip and kept it off the ground for hosing out the shed when I got too much saw dust on the floor. Only downside was I couldn't use the horses for other jobs but oh well.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

I had some wood laying around. So I made a 2x4 table, height just above the knees and about 12 foot long. I'll be able to reach over the sides and work fine. The ends will be free from the table about 2 ft. I was lucky with the dimensions of the table. Glad it work out.

Doug

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »

Bottom on table

Grainhopper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grainhopper »